Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Author Topic: Comparisons of EVE elements to other fiction  (Read 1471 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Comparisons of EVE elements to other fiction
« on: 09 Sep 2010, 07:29 »

So, I figured a cool way to inspire some RP and fiction-writing for our characters and faction is to share some opinions as to what comparisons can be made between EVE elements and other areas of fiction...I begin with some examples...

Gallente Federation - Tom Clancy

Speaking mostly from Splinter Cell Conviction, but going from the Black Eagles chron, the idea of a top secret organization (Third Echelon anyone?) going against corrupt military and political individuals...for example, SDII agents (all geared up in their advanced shit) are dispatched to take care of a rogue admiral, who is still in command of his own task group of Navy forces, who are also rogue and under the command. Politically, you have politicians and other such figures in the pockets of the Caldari...and so on.

Also, PMCs and shit...whether they are working against the Fed or for it...the whole motif of "single government versus all sorts of elements working against it".

(in fact, SDII are a screaming example of a high-tech, superspy Sam Fisher force)

Gallente Federation - Galactic Republic

While nowhere near as vast or loose as the Star Wars Republic, the Federation has some similarities...in the sense of the "ethnically diverse" and "vast" ideas...and considering that each world has its own unique form of government, just like the Republic...considering the Jin-Mei have a caste system, the Intaki might just have mild elements of theocracy...and looking at Saxon Hawke's descriptions of Frarie and Brarel, and then using that in a wider Federation context.

I think it was Jakiin that was perplexed by the idea of the Jin-Mei being in the Federation...if you see it more along the lines of the GR, then it might make more sense.

Caldari Prime invasion - Halo 3: ODST

New Mombasa reminded me a lot of what a Federation city might look like. Clean, pristine, bright...especially going from the TBL description. And from Halo 2, 'Old Mombasa' would be contrasted with ancient settlements that modern EVE cities are built around.

Anyway, in ODST, the humans had already lost against an overwhelming force, with the city under occupation. The remaining forces were no more than guerrillas. Now, if New Mombasa is taken as one of the other major cities that didn't go against such a facerape of an invasion...both marines and police (like in the actual EVE invasion) are working together doing asymmetric ops to sabotage and generally give the Covenant invaders a hard time, but they have no hope in hell of actually ejecting and fighting back full on against the occupation force. Now swap the Halo stuff with EVE stuff :D
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2010, 07:31 by Seriphyn »

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
Re: Comparisons of EVE elements to other fiction
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2010, 08:19 »

Amarr Empire - Frank Herbert's Dune

Without supernatural (miraculous rebirths aside) elements.

Vieve

« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2010, 18:26 »

Sure, I always think of Arrakis when I think of Aridia.

Just sub in carnivorous plants for sandworms.

Tacitrain

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2010, 17:20 »

EvE reminds me of Mechwarrior/Battletech quite often.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2010, 19:49 »

Federation colony outposts: Firefly
Caldari State: Starship Troopers, without the camp humor.
Overall EVE: Mix of Starcraft's mood and tone, Blade Runner's cyberpunk, and the Matrix's cybernetic and techno-centric themes.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2010, 02:04 »

Amarr reminds of this book I can't remember, I am sure someone can help me. Started off with this hardcore religious sect with catholic roots that had these huge moving cities/chapels. There was a beggar with another human growing off of her neck or something. I wish I could remember the title/author. It was very heavy into nuclear warfare and all that jazz.

Anybody?

Syn Callibri

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2010, 09:45 »

The Amarr Empire reminds me of a book I read about a year ago "Cestus Dei" aka Fist of God, by John Maddox Roberts...

Set two thousand years in the future, Cestus Dei describes a galaxy in which the various worlds settled by the human race are bound to Earth, not by political structures, but by religion. Effectively, each religion ends up with its own interstellar empire, and the supreme decision-making body in humanity is the United Faiths. Some centuries in the past, civilisation became corrupt and went into decline, and whole star clusters broke away. The Flavian System is one such group, which has become a sort of replay of the late Roman Empire, with slavery and gladiatorial combat, but also featuring starships, ray guns, and genetically engineered "constructs", which serve as gladiators, bodyguards, and other menials. When the Flavian System is rediscovered, Father Miles, a Jesuit priest from the order named in the title, is dispatched to return the Flavian System to the Roman Catholic fold before it is snapped up by the Medina Caliphate or the Sanhedrin of the Third Temple. The creation of constructs, or the "soulless", is an affront to all faiths, and since the Flavian System has largely slipped back into Paganism, it could be argued that it's no longer the responsibility of the Church, and thus forcibly converting the inhabitants to a faith – any faith – would be a public service. Miles, whose name means "soldier" in Latin, is a kind of cross between James Bond, Rambo, Machiavelli, and Dirty Harry: he's competent and dangerous, especially in hand-to-hand combat, has a keen grasp of political reality, and a disturbingly elastic attitude towards the rules under which he is supposed to be operating.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0523485840/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2010, 12:42 by Syn Callibri »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:05 »

When I was playing Mass Effect, I spent at least half the game thinking, "so this is why Seriphyn keeps referencing this game in EVE forums." No lie.