Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider recruits are trained in close-quarters combat before tactics and starship combat? (The Burning Life, p. 54)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47767 times)

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #300 on: 13 Dec 2011, 13:16 »

I gave up and bought the damn game.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #301 on: 13 Dec 2011, 13:24 »

Now to the final task at hand, the grim task that replays itself with each Elder Scrolls adventure: the merciless extermination of every NPC in Skyrim.

Best of luck, if you get by the whole 'all brats and half the adult NPC's are immortal pricks' kindly let me know.

Well, for you Aria, I agree mostly. If I wanted a super-masochistic game to play I'd go play Touhou on harder difficulty again. You and me seem to play very similarely - we vastly preffer a specific play-style over 1k different toons doing different things, and play mostly for the immersion enjoyment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen many things in my life, but these naive fools are still impressive. In my eternal quest to become, faster, stronger, better, than anyone - any thing - I arrived in Skyrim. Helgen was a wake-up call - to be captured and sentenced to death that easily... seems someone knew of my record from High Rock - I should have known - and informed the Imperials. Or perhaps I was just unfortunate... no matter. That kind of scenario will never happen again. I'd die in battle before I let anyone condemn me to death or imprisonment again.

The Guards in Markarth are fools, all of them. They believed eternal vigilance and corrupt service to the local rich man - not their Jarl - lend them strength, authority. Only the latter apply, and I do not respect their false autority. I am a Legate in the Imperial legion. I severed "Jarl" Ulfric's head from his shoulders, I massacred his armies, I ended a civil war. I am Thane of Whiterun, I hunt bandits for sport, I kill giants for entertainment, I harvest dragons for materials I don't even use, that I don't even need.

And the Markarth guards wanted me in prison, for a murder I've not even done. I've killed thousands, but not that man. The Jarl of Whiterun is the only authority I heed, and when I see these fools again in Sovngarde I will inform them of this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2011, 14:20 by BloodBird »

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #302 on: 13 Dec 2011, 14:37 »

Ooh, I should do one of those.

Yeah, I have demonic servants, what of it?
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2011, 15:13 by hellgremlin »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #303 on: 14 Dec 2011, 00:35 »

God damn it, BloodBird. That little vignette of yours ...

Now I'm going to have to do a twohander-wielding conjurer battlemage.

God DAMN it.

Edit:

As a side note, I've had a weak spot for ebony ever since that lovely wee dagger you (appropriately) started Daggerfall with about 70% of the time. Its appearance was very "meh" in Oblivion, however, especially the daggers; I'm relieved to see it done justice in Skyrim.

Edit 2:

Okay, not actually restarting (again) any time in the near future. Current Dunmer, when he's not trying to be sneaky, will do just fine for my ebony-outfitted needs. Though I do have to say that I like the look of the ebony greatsword rather better than that of the one-handed variant, which looks more like some kind of exotic weapon than anything that should be going by the name "sword."

Also, further reflection:

Biggest disappointment in the game so far is that people reacting to a player's sneaky, death-dealing ways still do not sound remotely sane. Take your typical high-HP orcish bandit leader in a nice, gloomy tunnel complex.

"Is someone there?" after an arrow strikes home.

"I know I heard something," with two or three arrows sticking out of his back.

"Must have been my imagination," as he wanders back to his starting position having plucked five apparently imaginary arrows out of his hide while looking for you.

At least they react to bodies that they find, now. It makes me want to really perfect the art of the one-shot kill, just so the poor crazed bastards don't have to wander around thinking they're hallucinating their wounds.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2011, 10:31 by Aria Jenneth »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #304 on: 14 Dec 2011, 14:57 »

I'm in love with Ebony armor by now. I've produced two full suits, one for me one for my little home-hugging servant, and I've enough Ebony ingots in storage to make at least 3 more full legendary-grade suits with a variety of weapons. Also have several Ebony weapons lying around or on display, though I use a health-drain greatsword and a soul-steal one-handed sword in the field.

Ebony weapons are in general sexy too. Exceptions beign the one-handed mace, two-handed axe and the one-hander "sword" - it looks more like a metalic beating-stick with a sharp end to it. Once my enchanting get's good enough to dual-enchant I'll add stamina-drain to my two-handed decapitation instrument.

While I've in general really enjoyed Skyrim despite a few bugs and annoying factors like the apparent need to join god and every man to beat the story-line, (I'm opposed to that on general principle, only one master etc.) I'm not entierly sure I'll manage to make more characters that are significantly different from my Ebony-clad seeker-of-ultimate-skill-and-power, simply becasue I'm madly in love with two-handed battle and Ebony gear in general. I did skill up to Dragonbone and made a suit of full-plate and scale-mail light armor because I could. I'm corrently debating selling this because frankly, only the scale-mail dragon-bone suit looked any good, and my toon has exactly zero skill in light armor...

What I'd love was, for materials to be tiers like they are now, but for all advanced above-steel materials to have light and heavy suits available for production. Ebony is automatically heavy and Elven is light - what if I wanted an Elven-mail clad heavy armor user, or a light Ebony suit for my ranger-type toon? Above leather and scale all you got in the way of light is Elven, Glass and Dragon Scale. That seems a bit thin. The Dwemer had no clue how to make ligt armor and 100% of their force were heavily armoured or dressed in robes... I guess whatever scouts they had used cloth, then.

All that remains now is to get to max level with this one toon while upping enchanting, magical destruction/restoration skills, gather the money I need to keep buying every Ebony ingot I see along with basic-level smithing mats, and swallowing my annoyance with the main story and go on, even if I'll end in serving the Thieves guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc etc etc.

Anyone who's done all the story answer me on this; Are you forced, by story, to join any organizations, and once the big bad is dead does the game stop? Can you go about messing around after, or?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #305 on: 14 Dec 2011, 15:39 »

While not forced to directly join any organization, you will have to make good with some of them at times. Sometimes you'll have to choose between one or the other. My first character to go through the storyline didn't join anyone but the Mage's College and even that's only pro-forma if you shout at the interviewer. Well, if you tell her you're the dragonborn anyway.

I personally get around the 'Only One Master' bit by simply infiltrating the rest of the organisations. Easiest to justify if you're Thieve's Guild or Dark Brotherhood of course.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #306 on: 15 Dec 2011, 00:04 »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #307 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:29 »

:lol:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #308 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:01 »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #309 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:52 »

serious viking dragonborn is serious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw&feature=player_embedded

This is an 8 minute 37 second long examle of why I don't do drugs >.<

It was however, hillarious to watch.

*EDIT to add* Having seen this I might actually go add the final point to smithing, (SMITH-ing bitch, not SMITE-ing, not sure if he did that on purpose) and make daedric armor as well as weapons. I wanted weapons because herp, better than Ebony, and derp, looks awesome. I never considered the armor because daedric from Oblivion looked like utter shit. Then again so did Ebony, I should likely have checked it out BEFORE I decided not to touch it.

Got to go find some daedra to massacre to rip out their hearts, gods know I've plenty of leather strips and Ebony ingots...
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 06:28 by BloodBird »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #310 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:05 »

BB: to answer your earlier questions, I understand that the main plot doesn't so much end the game as just plain end. They don't even interrupt the gameplay to show you the credits like they did in Oblivion. It's more, "Yay! You defeated Alduin and achieved (the first bit of) your destiny! Now go enjoy the rest of the game."

My housemate took the Godlike Artificer path, and his female altmer is outfitted with daedric better-than-artifact-everything up to her pointy little ears. The overall effect looks a lot like Batman Beyond, but with more barbs.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #311 on: 15 Dec 2011, 13:37 »

My sneaky assassin type can't find anything better than nightingale armor.

Pretty, to boot.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #312 on: 15 Dec 2011, 14:15 »

My sneaky assassin type can't find anything better than nightingale armor.

Pretty, to boot.

Wat? My sneaky assassin can't find a single useful bonus on the Nightingale Armor. The Dark Brotherhood armor got pretty much awesome bonuses on all pieces for assassins, but the Thieves get the awesome looking armor? Gnnrgh. I'm just waiting for a mod that'll give you the Nightingale armor with Dark Brotherhood bonuses.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #313 on: 15 Dec 2011, 14:52 »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #314 on: 15 Dec 2011, 21:36 »

FUCKING BADASS GAUNTLETS
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23