Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ghost Festival is an Angel Cartel loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47766 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #195 on: 22 Nov 2011, 19:22 »

Block makes the game trivial. My own Norseman is currently a bloody Juggernaut, decked in full Daedric Armor, Shield and War Axe. With the various perks in the block tree, melee combat is beyond easymode. Spellcaster? Shield slam. Incoming power attack? Shield slam. Is there something within reach? SHIELD SLAM!

It'll stop casting, interrupt attacks and it'll leave almost any enemy open to a devastating counter attack. Not to mention that you're practically invincible if you've used your levelups for alternating health and stamina, since Block perks also gives you 50% elemental damage reduction and some other sweet stuff as well.

I took a quest where I had to clear a dungeon full of undead, necromancers and some fairly hefty casters. Just for the fun of it, I kept the shield raised the entire time, just slooowly inching forwards, taking every single ranged hit and spell cast at me with a grim grin until I got into range and could practically oneshot most enemies with a shield slam + Power Attack.

I'm sure the Dragon Priests might still be a bit annoying until I get into melee range, but once there, I can interrupt any of their casts while whaling on them with my Daedric War Axe. Block: Almost gamebreakingly good.

I'd try dualwielding if I was you, especially if you want to add a bit of magic usage to the game, since Block is another perk tree you'd need to spend a lot of perks in. Dualwielding just means you need to spend points in Onehanded, whichever armor you prefer, and the magic/support/craft trees.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #196 on: 22 Nov 2011, 19:40 »

Dual wielding definitely makes things much more challenging. I've lost count of the number of times I've died due to recklessly charging into tougher enemies and getting killed within a couple seconds because I ran out of room to maneuver. DW kill animations are pretty awesome too, FWIW. I'm running on Expert difficulty right now, but if I were rolling with a shield I would probably need to be on Master to make it even vaguely interesting from what Miz is saying.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #197 on: 22 Nov 2011, 20:34 »

Everything I loathed about the shit that was Oblivion is rectified in this game.

My only gripe is a lack of keybinding support for weapons in the left hand when Dual Wielding unless it's the exact same weapon (including enchants) as the one in the right, which simply doesn't stick.

However while you have next to no mitigation as a DW nut, you have the best defence ever, you beat the shit out of stuff before it can kill you.

Jade said it best, this game is the crack cocaine of gaming.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #198 on: 22 Nov 2011, 20:35 »

Warning!

Major quest conflict between The Jagged Crown and Season Unending. You MUST complete one before starting the other, otherwise you'll run into a gamebreaking inability to proceed.

I can't continue on the main quest OR the civil war until patch 1.2 fixes it. =/

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #199 on: 22 Nov 2011, 22:55 »

1. Introduce children to a TES game for the first time
2. Give all the most annoying lines to children
3. Can't kill children
4. ?????

http://kotaku.com/5861221/hooray-now-you-can-kill-kids-in-skyrim?tag=theelderscrolls

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #200 on: 22 Nov 2011, 23:05 »

I might be one of those strange people fascinated with all the arrows stuck in corpses after I pelt the shit out of them. xD

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #201 on: 22 Nov 2011, 23:07 »

I never really got that desire. I mean, sure, it's somewhat immersionbreaking to set a bunch of villagers on fire and burying your war axe in their collective skulls, only to watch Daisy Nipper run around as if she just stumbled and got a boo boo on her knee, but that's a price I'm more than willing to pay since I have absolutely no conceivable reason to start murdering children left, right and center. Children ARE obnoxious, be it real life or in a game. Every damn child I know acts like shit. It's the natural behaviour pattern of children.

What do we do about this? Clearly we summon a dragon to devour it, after setting it on fire and shouting them off a castle wall. No? We don't kill children in real life? What do you mean 'ignore' them? That's just SILLY!

I look at the people who actually claim that the child-killing mods are FIXING A BROKEN MECHANIC and get a sudden urge to strangulate someone with chicken wire. The game isn't bloody broken because you can't murder children. First: It's a damn smart move of Bethesda to NOT give the GameHater Coalition any more ammunition. Second: Bethesda games have ALWAYS been modded to hell and back, so anyone wanting it will get it anyway. Third: You have absolutely no storyline reason to kill them. They're not in your way, they're not a threat, they're not potential enemies or anything. At worst, they're a witness to your crimes which you can't kill. Congratulations, your incompetent attempt at being a criminal isn't instantly erasable through killing a child. This isn't broken mechanics, it's -your- incompetence.

On the other hand, I don't have anything against those who do download and use that mod for deeper immersion, the chance to kill the witness, the accidental AoE kill when fighting someone else, or watching a dragon actually being able to take on a seven year old and win. It's a bit morbid and slightly tasteless, but it's not like I've ever been a proponent of political correctness in any game setting.

I still get a severe desire to slap people in the back of the head when I see people claim unkillable children is a broken mechanic that 'modders have to fix'. Gods...

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #202 on: 22 Nov 2011, 23:39 »

I might be one of those strange people fascinated with all the arrows stuck in corpses after I pelt the shit out of them. xD

I love seeing how some enemies walk around with 8 or 9 ice shards sticking out of their heads from where I launched them into their skulls from range.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #203 on: 23 Nov 2011, 01:35 »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #204 on: 23 Nov 2011, 08:55 »

In fallout and Skyrim, it's possible to be a mean little asshole if you want to. Theft, murder, whole-sale massacres, betrayal, drug use, drug-pushing/trafficking, constantly being rude/picking fights, slavery, destruction of property and so on and so forth, list goes on. I find it absolutely INSULTING then, that anyone who is 'adult' can be killed anytime for any reason or no reason at all... but not kids. Considering the huge list of offenses that WOULD and SHOULD have you punished in RL that are considered perfectly okay in these GAMES, simply saying 'child-killing is immoral and wrong, yo' is a massive finger to the face, a cop-out of grand proportions.

Anyone of the NPC's in these games can have the absurd miss-fortune of running across a player-character that can and will make their lives horrible and cut-short on a whim, because the players wanted it. The game let's them do that. IF they want to.

But NOT if your less than 18 years old. Because that's wrong, right? That's IMMORAL, RIGHT?

Fuck them. The pathetic attempt of some minor political-correct choices made by these producers just makes little sense. Do they really worry that critics will yell at them for 'offensive' actions possible in a GAME? Will they honestly worry those folks will pull out that tired, old and provably false argument that gaming affects kids an makes criminals out of gamers solely from playing these games?

I still recall the massive bitching about GTA back in the day. “OMG you steal cars! Run the owners over with them! Do drive-by's and serial-hit/runs and buy whores for the sake of getting your health back, you kill them to get your money back after! OMG omg whine whiner whining etc”

GTA came and went. I fail to notice the generation of brain-washed kids-turned-criminals out performing crimes because 'GTA learned me how to'. That shit never happened because humans have this amazing ability to separate reality from fiction, especially when what they are presented with is clearly fictional. Examples of the contrary reflect other issues those people had. Anders Bering Breivik killed 77 people this year. He spent a whole year playing WoW not to long ago. Where are the other 11,999,999 people who plot to do similar acts? You get my point.

In a game where I can go off to seek out and join a secretive 'brotherhood' of assassins because I wanted to, where I can kill anyone they order me to anywhere because I wanted to remain part of this 'family' of mass-murdering scum, a game where I can join the Imperial legion and go off to murder half of Windhelm, in this game I can NOT kill little Helene who was right in my way, because she's like, 17 and stuff, a child, right? To bad for her that the next day when I came back to off the other half – had to go sell all that loot somewhere, you know – she's had her birthday and are 18 years old. Her head goes off first after I enter the gates, just like her mom, dad and elder brother did the day before, because being old enough to NOT be a 'child' made them acceptable targets for my senseless killing-spree.

Discrimination by age or gender pisses me off. The kids in the game are annoying at times, yeah, they are. Would I want to slap them around from time to time? Yeah, sometimes I do. However, I'd also like to smack about that blacksmith in Whiterun for telling me her father's position in the Jarl's castle for the millionth time. STFU about that already! Do I off either of them? No. Because my toon is Thane of Whiterun and holds to a few standards, see. Even IF I could, by game-mechanics, off the blacksmith, I don't.

Set in the light of all the other evils you MAY chose to do in Skyrim, making the kids immortal is idiotic at best and serves no practical purpose other than trying desperately to ward off the retarded morons out there who still like to bitch about the moral-destroying gaming industry. Being able to kill any NPC/creature, even quest-needed toons that are normally immortal too, should at worst be a selectable option in the game's menu. Do I WANT the option to be able to accidentally fry a kid or that critical companion of mine with an AOE fireball? Yes. But if I did, I might risk regretting it. Keep that option flipped off, then.

Welp, that rant got long. Sorry. This is an annoying subject, more general reasons besdies just Skyrim's game-mechanics.

On a lighter and TOTALLY unrelated note, I've found two-handers to be VERY enjoyable – you get the offensive options of dual-wielding while still having a weak, but useful block option and can easily slip to a one-hander and spells if needed. Current combo is one-handed soul-stealing sword combined with healing/destruction magic and a health-draining two-hander with massive perks and bonuses. Fights can be very hard, hard, or only somewhat challenging based on what combo of enemies you run into and how you handle yourself. I also personally adore big, powerful weapons, so it's working fine for me. Ymmw, though.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #205 on: 23 Nov 2011, 09:46 »

I still recall the massive bitching about GTA back in the day. “OMG you steal cars! Run the owners over with them! Do drive-by's and serial-hit/runs and buy whores for the sake of getting your health back, you kill them to get your money back after! OMG omg whine whiner whining etc” GTA came and went. I fail to notice the generation of brain-washed kids-turned-criminals out performing crimes because 'GTA learned me how to'. That shit never happened because humans have this amazing ability to separate reality from fiction, especially when what they are presented with is clearly fictional.

Thanks to GTA I still can't pass a flashy sports car on the side of a street without fighting down the urge to yank open the door and carjack my way to a free ride.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #206 on: 23 Nov 2011, 09:56 »

I want the ability to kill children because I hate children in Skyrim. There's no fancy-schmancy morally laden reason for it. It's just when one of those little shits pipes up, my first instinct is to make sure I never hear that line of speech again, by violently eliminating its source with a giant fuck-off daedric hammer. Children's voices are annoying. :|

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #207 on: 23 Nov 2011, 11:15 »

I want the ability to kill children because I hate children in Skyrim. There's no fancy-schmancy morally laden reason for it. It's just when one of those little shits pipes up, my first instinct is to make sure I never hear that line of speech again, by violently eliminating its source with a giant fuck-off daedric hammer. Children's voices are annoying. :|

I just have this mental image of an Imperial Issue Apocalypse appearing over Skyrim, revving up all its weapons, and then launching a single Daedric Hammer with millimetre-perfect aim at a child's face.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #209 on: 23 Nov 2011, 11:43 »

iirc, when oblivion came out, there was quite a delay before all the tool programs were available for mod makers to do their stuff. Unlike Morrowind, where there were things available right from the go, I think.
I think maybe that one of the tools took so long to be released by Bethseda that by the time it was, mod makers were already using a thing, that was reverse engineered. I forget what it did exactly. was it Nif-scope? a thing that allowed you to see the models, and/or edit things.

One of the things behind this delay, was the outcry about the "hot coffee" thing in the GTA game, and the demonisation of mod makers that was going on there. There were problems with Oblivion when it was revealed that you could make female characters have the dreaded exposed nipple, which is of course a Sign of the End Times. Talk of not releasing the mod tools AT ALL, because of "mod abuse".

A few Morrowind mods I've seen had babies and children in them. Killing them marks you as a Bad Person, and bad stuff happens. People don't talk to you, etc. etc.

Anyways, having mods that make the stock immortal children killable, are not really helpful when it comes to having developer supported mod making tools. It's bad press.

I remember in Fallout 2, there were also problems. The USA version had children, and you could kill them, it marked you as a child killer, and bad things happened as a result. The EU version(s) did not. And there were glitches as a result. One EU version (German?) had them removed entirely, I think. The other EU version, i.e. the one I have, the UK version, has a weird thing, whereby the children are invisible. They'll still make random comments which you can see onscreen, which is confusing at time. They can also be killed by area effect weapons, but iirc, that had a tendency to crash the game. And in one area, there were children that stood at the entrances to several buildings, pickpocketing. They were still there in the UK version, but you couldn't see them, and unless you read up about things, you wouldn't know why some of your items vanished. Silliness.

In any case, it's obvious why, even when you're a Bad Dude, you can't kill children in Skyrim.

Bad Guys always let children live, so that the child is RAISED BY MONKS, LEARNS TO FIGHT, SO THAT ONE DAY THEY'LL HAVE THEIR REVENGE!!!
\o/
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23