Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47772 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #105 on: 15 Nov 2011, 20:45 »

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to pick a side in the civil war.

On the one hand, seeing Imperials march a Nord off to be executed for worshiping Talos is unnerving.

On the other hand, walking through the Grey Quarter of Windhelm doesn't make rebellion look like the right choice.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #106 on: 15 Nov 2011, 21:03 »

I guess it's a question of who you find to be the lesser evil. I personally find the Thalmor's eradication of Thalos to be offensive (as a Nord, that is. My Breton and Dunmer doesn't give a shit about that) and would rather get rid of the Thalmor's influence and then work from within the system to make the Stormcloak side better. On Miz, the Thalmor pissed her off rather royally with what they did in Cyrodiil and what effects it had on the Dark Brotherhood. They're going down and the Stormcloaks are useful patsies. Not to mention that if the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood's skills are shown to win the war for the Stormcloaks, they don't have any reason to trash on the Dunmer anymore. My Breton is rather annoyed at the Thalmor for what happened at the College, but doesn't pick a side at all. She's got bigger dragons to fry... literally.

The thing is, the way the Nords are treating the Dunmer is fairly understandable. Their two races have been in conflict in Skyrim since the beginning. Rarely have their two kinds been so amicable as they are now.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #107 on: 15 Nov 2011, 21:18 »

I don't blame Ulfric for his ways. I mean you can't really blame anyone for their prejudices, every race was shaped by struggle. But I think the driving force behind the Empire's invasion is what irks me the most, it's just an attempt to keep the Emperor on the throne in the dying hours of the Empire. At least the Stormcloaks can say they're defending their homeland, despite the Imperials claiming that Skyrim belongs to them.

The Nords and Dunmer - and most races in Tamriel - are both molded out of lands that are less-than-hospitable. Tough people cut from tough environments and taught to survive at any cost, it's no wonder they don't like anyone outside their own communities. That being said, the Stormcloaks might not treat the people below them very well, but nothing compares to the cruelty the Empire can manage, when they think they have something to gain.

Tough call, but I'm only 26. I can stand to wait another level or two before I decide what faction I'll support. If any.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #108 on: 15 Nov 2011, 23:25 »

How do you get that saved game mod to work?  Mine keeps looking for Fallout 3 saves since that's what it was written for.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #109 on: 16 Nov 2011, 04:20 »

On the one hand, seeing Imperials march a Nord off to be executed for worshiping Talos is unnerving.

On the other hand, walking through the Grey Quarter of Windhelm doesn't make rebellion look like the right choice.

I haven't been to Windhelm yet, but I am struggling myself to choose a side.

All I know is I just woke up in Markarth after a big night and everyone in this city is a scumbag. I want to use my Archmage of Winterhold powers to kill them all, but self control is getting the better of me.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #110 on: 16 Nov 2011, 04:37 »

All I know is I just woke up in Markarth after a big night and everyone in this city is a scumbag. I want to use my Archmage of Winterhold powers to kill them all, but self control is getting the better of me.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering the grimdark theme (which, is it me, or is Bethesda getting better at all the time? >>)

The sides of the war are basically divided into scumbags who went various directions selfishly, the slightly misled leaders heading the operations, and then there's a good 15% slice of folks who are genuinely helping, trying to help, or think they're helping, so at least their hearts are in the right place.

Not to mention, as RPers, I can't help but think we're prone to getting ourselves heavily invested in these matters. I know I am, at least. First time I saw a Nord being marched off for execution I was like >:C

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #111 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:30 »

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering the grimdark theme (which, is it me, or is Bethesda getting better at all the time? >>)

The sides of the war are basically divided into scumbags who went various directions selfishly, the slightly misled leaders heading the operations, and then there's a good 15% slice of folks who are genuinely helping, trying to help, or think they're helping, so at least their hearts are in the right place.

Not to mention, as RPers, I can't help but think we're prone to getting ourselves heavily invested in these matters. I know I am, at least. First time I saw a Nord being marched off for execution I was like >:C

I too am struggling to make up my mind really on the big question of Ulfric vs Empire - I do kinda like the idealistic jarl of Solitude but I'm having a lot of problems getting over the fact the empire really did try to have me executed. That said last night I had the biggest actual roleplay decision of the game so far (I'm level 34 or something)

[spoiler]

End of the dark brotherhood plotline and I kill the emperor and he asks as his last request that I kill the person who set him up. I told the emperor "no" and he took it fairly stoically and I left him dead with a single dagger cut laying amongst the corpses of his elite guard.

So I go to collect the money from the contact (a sleezy ambitious imperial upstart plotter) and he's all bouncy gloating and sickeningly magnamimous to my greed. I look at the responses and I really want to kill him (thinking of the contrast between this guys attitude and the dignified exit of the emperor) but I choose a comment "this is the luckiest day of your life" and he clues me in on the location of the blood money for the kill. I get up and walk away back into the bar-room and listen to a bard striking up that "days of oppression" song and I turn round. Just stand there indecisive, thinking, genuinely thinking in character - then I turn around, go back into the chamber with the plotter and gut him like a fish thinking of the emperor's spirit looking down from the otherworld and maybe feeling a bit of justice has been done.

But I've broken my compact with the night mother I think, and my time with the dark brotherhood has come to an end because I'm not the sort of person to honour contracts with scumbags - of course I'm also the sort of person who murders old grannies, bludgeons orc bards, shoots brides on the wedding day and pledges my afterlife to noctural for power over shadows.

Fuck.

Maybe its time to get back to being an honest hero who shouts fire at frost dragons for a living.
[/spoiler]

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #112 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:07 »

Like any civil war, Bethesda has nailed it perfectly. There are some Nords who support the Empire, others who are against it. Equally valid reasons for either side...for Empire, it's keeping the human races together in the face of a suddenly balkanized Tamriel, keeping order and unity and all that, as well as 'fighting' against Nord racism/pride. For Stormcloaks, it's bringing justice for a religious/cultural violation, as well as not wanting to be puppets of those Altmer people.

Really top stuff for the shades of grey and desolate sociopolitical atmosphere. Oblivion looks like a bloody fairytale in comparison to this.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #113 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:36 »

How do you get that saved game mod to work?  Mine keeps looking for Fallout 3 saves since that's what it was written for.

PCGamer has been giving out the wrong link. Annoying.

HERE is the real link. I use it, it's good stuff.

Only problem I've had with it is that it wants to link to an .EXE that isn't there ('syrim.exe' when the file is 'tesv.exe'). Once you properly re-direct it, you're golden.

Worth noting that Steam Overlay is not enabled when you use this launcher. If that's a big deal for you, use the launcher once to select your 'profile', quit, then use the normal shortcuts to play. Your last chosen profile with SGM will remain the active one until you use it again to change it.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2011, 09:43 by Misan »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #114 on: 16 Nov 2011, 12:24 »

ok, before i make a decision about buying skyrim, i have some questions.

there were several things that bugged me about Oblivion.

1. level scaling of monsters. If you don't level in a particular way, you can end up becoming worse at fighting goblins and other similar creatures. E.g. you had to train swords, then get some skills in armory, then some other skills, to get a +5 to strength for that level, otherwise you could end up with goblins that were puny easy before, and now are difficult, even with your much better equipment, because you did not train skills in a particular, convoluted, non-immersive way.

2. immense weights of items. 60lb swords and such. it made me :|

4. Argonian bewbs. >:| My understanding of amphibian and reptile biology says those shouldn't exist.

\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #115 on: 16 Nov 2011, 13:01 »

ok, before i make a decision about buying skyrim, i have some questions.

there were several things that bugged me about Oblivion.

1. level scaling of monsters. If you don't level in a particular way, you can end up becoming worse at fighting goblins and other similar creatures. E.g. you had to train swords, then get some skills in armory, then some other skills, to get a +5 to strength for that level, otherwise you could end up with goblins that were puny easy before, and now are difficult, even with your much better equipment, because you did not train skills in a particular, convoluted, non-immersive way.

2. immense weights of items. 60lb swords and such. it made me :|

4. Argonian bewbs. >:| My understanding of amphibian and reptile biology says those shouldn't exist.

1: Fallout 3 method, some creature types are inherently below you as you level past them, others have a higher plateau you need to pass first. Bandits of the same type that were a bastard when I was level 1 are super-easy in the level 10 / 20 range. ymmv

2. Kinda fixed, armor you wear tends to be the heaviest with pure metal blocks that you smelt also being heavy.

3. there is no 3

4. SNAKE BOOBIESSSSSS yeah they're still there
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #116 on: 16 Nov 2011, 13:08 »

The per item weight for most weapons is pretty modest. 2H tends to hover around 22 and heavy armor is around that or slightly higher for the main chest pieces. The only thing that is annoyingly heavy are dragon bones/scales (4-5 per kill adds up quick), which I've now made the habit of storing in my house dresser every time I kill a dragon otherwise I'd be crushed by their combined weight.

The scaling is definitely more intelligent. The normal dragons have actually become pretty easy at this point (level 23), while the tougher Blood Dragons still give a decent challenge. I'm still traumatized by my first couple experiences against Giants so I've not tried to kill one to see if they are manageable now... :oops:
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #117 on: 16 Nov 2011, 19:18 »

Giants are ~level 37. Don't fuck with them for a while yet.

The one annoying thing about the scaling is that it seems to scale the NPCs in a particular dungeon-quest-thing to when you accepted the quest, and not when you enter the dungeon-quest-thing, so if you accept a ton of quests and level 10 times before going back to do them, you're suddenly one-shotting everything and falling asleep at the keyboard.  Or so it seems, anyway.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #118 on: 16 Nov 2011, 19:31 »

I'm actually having a hard time figuring out that system myself. It seems some things scale fairly evenly, some things don't scale at all and thus become easymode after a while and suicide if encountered too early. A quick example of -non-scaling stuff though:

[spoiler]The Companions questline is just... beyond easymode for the most part. It appears nothing scales there, especially not the guys with Silver Swords. I tore through that entire questline very early with my Vikingish character and the greatest challenge were the encounters on the -way- to the dungeons in question. When I oneshot almost -everything- with a single war axe, it gets a bit ridiculous.

The Mage's College on the other hand was downright infuriatingly hard... which I like. Mostly because it throws you into Dwemer ruins filled with fairly hardass automatons and dangerous Falmer. I had a few fights where I was chugging magicka and health potions against -single- enemies, while having a companion and everything. The last boss for the Mage's College was a serious pain in the ass with very high health, very high dps and even took away your magicka when hurting you. Well, not the last boss, but the Dragon Lich thingy in the dungeon. The last boss was just "Where do I point the staff this time?". It was a very challenging but rewarding questline.

I haven't really met much in this world that actually scaled with me.[/spoiler]

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #119 on: 16 Nov 2011, 21:44 »

There's mods out for the game already.  Some guy made a nude female mod the day after it got released, actually. Hahaha I CALLED IT xD
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23