Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47774 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #90 on: 13 Nov 2011, 00:08 »

If you haven't checked it out yet, y'all should read up a little. Pretty depressing shit:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Empire#Current_State_of_The_Empire

Nice link there, Senn.  Thanks.  I was wondering what the situation looked like outside Skyrim and... holy crap.  Guess I didn't realize what a major shift the end of the Third Era brought.  Sounds like the Empire has completely collapsed.  Rome circa 410 AD.  And (!) Argonians invade and conquer Morrowind?  Talk about a slave revolt.

Yeah, imagine my surprise when I find out after buying and starting the game that not only is it taking place two centuries after the defeat of Mehrunes, but that for all the efforts of the protagonist to locate and assist Martin in the unbelievable task of defeating the whole of Oblivion, the Empire fell apart anyway.

Certainly explains a lot. So you see my dilemma here; I might have approved of Uriel Septim's Empire, but that Empire died a long time ago. The new one is reeling from losing Morrowind to the Argonians, and seems to be trying to recover by bribing the Nord jarls. It goes without saying what a smack in the face this is, especially since elves comprise a lot of the immigrants. The Empire is intent on populating Skyrim with the natives' mortal enemies.

I dunno, man. My love for the Nords is telling me to start putting arrows through those yellow and red tabards.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2011, 00:09 by Senn Typhos »
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #91 on: 13 Nov 2011, 02:33 »

I hadn't turned Steam on for ages, it was kind of hilarious to check the Inspiracy group.

Almost everyone was playing Skyrim :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #92 on: 13 Nov 2011, 09:09 »

Bethesda games are always released with some bugs. Always. UI got hotfixed though.

Moving on, I'm having serious trouble deciding on perks. Instead of playing my usual thief / mage combo I went with mage / thief. I've so far taken some perks into destruction, but I am at a loss as to where else to put them. I would like to pursue alchemy and enchanting so I can boost other skills without perks and make specific sets to get the best out of them. However, I am worried this will take away perk points that could have gone into other skills.

Anyone with some advice? I use all magic schools, the only negligible one being conjuration which is only used to grab souls. Not sure if I should get into bound weapons? I also find myself using all of the thief related skills. Welp :(

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #93 on: 13 Nov 2011, 09:26 »

Well, the advice is the same as for every damned game out there with skilltrees of various kinds: Become a Master of Something or mediocre at everything. Spreading yourself out too much means that you can level to 50 and still be barely halfway up your highest skilltree. That'll mean you're adaptive as hell, but probably won't be especially good at anything you do.

Anyway, I'm getting the feeling that you -can't- go too far wrong with these skilltrees. The skill gathering will have it's effect whether you perk the trees or not, so as long as you make sure to grab a few powerful perks that allow you to kill a few tough enemies without dying horribly, you should be fine. Everything else is... well, entirely up to you. That's the feeling I'm getting anyway.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #94 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:40 »

Generalized assessment of Skyrim with 20 hours clocked:

All the good aspects of Oblivion, most of the bad stripped out.

Very clearly and not even trying to disguise the fact it's a console port. Control interface is fucking weird. A lot of buttons are used on your keyboard around the WASD keys. Might as well not even bother to use the mouse, as it's simply less buggy to use the pseudo-console like controls. Weird but not a deal breaker for me.

Very much in line with Bethesda open world sandbox lego play. The quality of the stories is arguable, but the sheer scale of interaction and interlocking that occurs is amazing. Small obscure things I did offered tremendous, but optional, help in other quests like the Main storyline.

Dragons are a big deal but they're not the apex predator, either due to scaling issues or bugs. However the RANDOM ENCOUNTERS with them are hilariously random. I've had some spawn, kill all the bandits in a world den I was clearing out, and then fly away. EXP stealing fuckers.

Magic feels stupidly powerful and I just rolled a mage character for 5 hours. It's very pretty, somewhat simple to use, and holds its own as far as mono-mage gameplay is concerned. So far I've not had issues with magicka unless its an extended fight, which I definitely need to choke down bottles to keep going in.

The world is MASSIVE. FUCKING HUGE. I walk everywhere instead of fast traveling and man IT TAKES ME A WHILE to get to places. The crazy amount of things I discover along the way is pretty neat. If athletics was in this game I'd have it max by now.

Some things in Fallout 3 are present in here, such as kill syncs, lockpicking mechanics, companion system, etc. Not too familiar as I never got into Fallout 3. If I had to wager, Skyrim is the love child between Oblivion and Fallout 3 in terms of mechanics and graphical presentation.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #95 on: 13 Nov 2011, 15:00 »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #96 on: 13 Nov 2011, 15:06 »

An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #97 on: 13 Nov 2011, 19:28 »

Enjoying the game so far, a lot more than I enjoyed Oblivion.

Only problems I'm having/feel like complaining about are the UI issues. Trying to figure out what a merchant is selling but unfortunately having to hear about their drama because it didn't register what I had clicked accurately is getting old. Evolving tactics to using the arrow keys during conversation/purchases. Also I need to turn my graphic card's fan up to 100%, settings on medium, since it apparently is overheating and shutting down. Saving like my real life depends on it.

First "play through" consisted of getting to Whiterun to warn about the dragon and then immediately using the carriage to get myself to the College, went through that quest line, became arch-mage and suddenly found myself feeling as if that character had reached it's 'pinnacle.' What more can you do once you're the arch-mage except sit back and enjoy your adorable little garden?

Found magic to be enjoyable and the dual wielding of different kinds of spells was great. Though I found myself relying on weapons a bit too much for what a mage should be. Staffs are fun.

Started a new character with a bit less tunnel vision, going to try and mix-up the main storyline with some of the other faction fun to hopefully not ruin it for myself again.

Everything is really pretty.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #98 on: 14 Nov 2011, 05:28 »

I made a Khajit with a view to stealthy pilfering with a side order of death from the shadows. Thirty hours in, though, and I haven't stolen a single item. The death from the shadows thing has panned out: I lurk in the shadows sniping while Lydia goes toe-to-toe with the bad guys. Works well, but we can get overwhelmed by numbers pretty easily.

I figured that I'd look at joining the Dark Brotherhood, but their first kill mission appears to be killing a harmless old crazy guy who I'd previously met and helped out. I felt sorry for him. Can I kill him? I don't know...

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #99 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:38 »

Not a single thing?  :eek:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #100 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:24 »

Ran into possibly the creepiest thing so far in-game last night. It wasn't so much the visuals as the music. I was afraid to even interact with the damn thing. Find this place (compass icons give a small hint):

Then you'll know why. I was deemed unworthy and am not sure I want to find out what would make me worthy.  :eek:
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #101 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:27 »

So what does it take to get this thing to install off the disk rather than trying to download from Steam? I don't really feel like sitting here for an hour while it downloads when I've got the damned disk in the drive.

Also, I am now actually on Steam for the first time ever. I feel like this is some sort of milestone.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #102 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:35 »

If anyone runs into the corpse marriage bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irjyxOnYVx8

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #103 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:37 »

So what does it take to get this thing to install off the disk rather than trying to download from Steam? I don't really feel like sitting here for an hour while it downloads when I've got the damned disk in the drive.

Also, I am now actually on Steam for the first time ever. I feel like this is some sort of milestone.

Is it integrated with Steam? Honestly hadn't checked. Steam should automatically know that you have the install media in and will run the data from disk if it is in. Had no issues doing that with Shogun 2 when I got it. Either way it is only ~6GB so not nearly as long as it could be (I'm looking at you E:TW).

Also random thing I saw on reddit (can we have more Game of Thrones references going on?): http://i.imgur.com/OuPyn.jpg

While I'm at it this list has a couple of super useful things I didn't know (hotkeys for one): http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/mb8la/massive_list_of_all_the_tips_and_tricks/ .

Good mods: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/14/the-10-best-skyrim-mods-so-far/
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2011, 12:49 by Misan »
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #104 on: 15 Nov 2011, 00:40 »

Imagine the following, if you will. (Spoiler free in terms of names, names of locations and specifics BUT it can be reasoned out if you want to. Don't read the following if you want to remain perfectly spoiler free including vague imagery of what you might experience. Srsly, don't.)

[spoiler]
Standing on the very peak of the tallest mountain in Skyrim, the wind lifting the snow and almost blinding you as you take in the view of all of Skyrim beneath your feet. One more step and you stand in the shimmering wound in... well, it's all a bit above your head, but you have a faint idea of what is about to happen. You take out a scroll and start reading it, the sheer power of the magics you are unleashing blurring your sight and making you unsteady on your feet. A flash and your sight is covered with runes and signs you don't even recognize. Everything is blood red and around you the mightiest Nord heroes of old are battling dragons. Their Shouts making the very earth tremble beneath your feet.

It goes on... the sights nearly managing to instill fear within you as you learn the truth about what happened so very long ago.

Another flash. You return to the world you know... and stare into the face of the largest dragon you have ever seen.

"Dovahkiin..." he begins. The rest is lost to you as the battle commences and you unleash the mightiest Shout at your command.[/spoiler]

LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23