Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47766 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #75 on: 12 Nov 2011, 16:29 »

Why does everyone ask me if I'm feeling okay or tell me I look worse than they feel or that I need to sleep when I just slept for 12 hours?

You have a disease.  ;)

Take a potion soon (cure disease) or eventually you'll start to get 'effects'.

How can I tell this?  I took a Cure Disease potion and an in-game day later everyone was asking me again.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #76 on: 12 Nov 2011, 16:49 »

you can see lingering effects (both good and bad) from the Magic affects dialogue. It lists things like random blessings and shrine effects too.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #77 on: 12 Nov 2011, 17:00 »

If they're asking you again, you probably contracted something again. Diseases can be gotten from a number of sources, and almost -every- damn time you fight those damn rat creatures.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #78 on: 12 Nov 2011, 17:29 »

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2m5lbbb.jpg

It Begins.

Edit: bad link replaced with good one   :)
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2011, 18:06 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #79 on: 12 Nov 2011, 18:00 »

Visually, it's stunning.

The combat mechanics are sweet.

However, the UI and menus system are a REALLY SHIT port from console, and take a lot away from what would have been an awesome game.

Disappointed personally.

I doubt it will be long before some good UI mods come out that resolve those issues. Same thing happened with Oblivion too.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #80 on: 12 Nov 2011, 18:45 »

So they're selling a broken product and hoping someone else will clean up their mess.

So not worth my money.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #81 on: 12 Nov 2011, 19:10 »

So they're selling a broken product and hoping someone else will clean up their mess.

So not worth my money.

Complete and utter twaddle. The product is working fine (as far as PC games go, there'll always be some bug hunting to do for a few months after a major game's release) and I'm a full 24 hours into this game having an utter blast. There's nothing broken about it. No more than... oh... every god damn game that's released on consoles as well as PC these days. It's just slightly less than PC Control Optimized menu-wise. After a little playtime, I don't even notice that as the menus and controls become as much reflex as notching an arrow as soon as the shadow of a dragon passes by.

Worth the money? Not if you're not into the kind of massive open-world RPG that the Elder Scroll games (and Fallout lately) provides, no. If you -are- into that, this product is worth the money and then some. This is definitely a 200 hour+ game in my book, and GOTY to boot.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #82 on: 12 Nov 2011, 19:44 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the UI is not a reason to not buy the game. I've just hotkeyed most things to 1-8 so v0v. It's so good it goes beyond my pain threshold, in the sense that I'm just playing it for hours without really registering any emotions.

Anyone love how damned grimdark the atmosphere is this time around? They've set it in a charged political environment this time, with a Tamriel divided between states, new political actors, a civil war and so forth. None of this happy, united, multicultural empire that's waiting for their hero to fight off some evil demon invasion. Still retains its fantasy while adding in believable politics this time (especially as you find out the reasons for the war as you ask around). I haven't even done any of the main story yet, but I've learnt a lot about the background so far. Some places are just really depressing. Add the snowy environment to that.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #83 on: 12 Nov 2011, 20:33 »

I have to agree. The grimdark is perfect. Really gives that old Norse feel to Skyrim, which I believe was the intended effect considering it's the home of the Nords. I do recommend doing a bit of the main storyline, though. To get the random dragon attacks, you need to have gone through at least the beginning of the main story, and you'll also get a massively useful Dragon Shout fully upgraded if you follow the main storyline a little further from that. (That's not a real spoiler, relax.)

Random dragon attacks means you get to collect dragon souls. Which in turn means that your random exploration and uncovering of Words of Power (I've found a few by accident) won't be wasted. Both are useless without the other. And let me tell you: Shouts are gamechangers. They can make impossible odds suddenly just challenging, while also adding some laughs to the gameplay.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #84 on: 12 Nov 2011, 21:00 »

Horned helmets!

I feel like a viking.  :D

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #85 on: 12 Nov 2011, 21:06 »

Mm, I think I'll do that Miz, now that I've finished my 19 hour quest to the College of Winterhold (at level 22 >.>)

I've always had a particular RP issue with the amount of titles and organizational affliations you got in Oblivion. The Champion of the Arena who is also the Archmage of the Mages' Guild, also a secret member of the Blades, who is the Champion of Cyrodiil and was responsible for fending off the Daedric invasion. Bethesda go on about you being the one Dragonborn to save the universe, while being able to do mundane things like chop wood and go on a fetch quest for a little girl. I wanted to "live my own life" without the whole Saviour of the World thing going on. I presume that doesn't come immediately, so I'll go as far as the dragon thing perhaps.

Also, you can't wing it with being a member of every faction in this game I don't think. I'm a sword-wielding mage (a la Jedi) and was asked to cast a specific Apprentice level spell to gain entry, which I had. Pleasantly relaxed that the style of the College means that it's more an extracurricular group than your full-time career (which was the vibe of factions from Oblivion).

Which is good for someone with RP Perfectionism like me :oops:

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #86 on: 12 Nov 2011, 21:52 »

You know what my favorite part of this game is, thus far?

I hit 15 today, I'm stretching my skills across Stealth, One Handed, Archery, Light armor, and maybe some alchemy and lockpicking as I move through the rungs. I've traveled down to Orphan Rock and the southern region just outside Iverstead, and I've gone as far north as the barrows outside Whiterun. Been playing two days and I've mostly been mired in clearing dungeons to skill up and gathering materials.

I opened up the world map and looked around. I've only covered ground in the immediate area of one Hold, and there's nine in total.

I get to do this eight more times, not including main and side missions. Just exploration for the hell of it.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #87 on: 12 Nov 2011, 22:27 »

You should try joining the Dark Brotherhood. I swear Miz wore out enough Shrouded Boots to make the Dark Brotherhood outfitter cry out in anguish. You go -all over the map-. And of course, if you don't want to use fast-travel, it becomes even worse (or better, depending on viewpoint). But yeah... I absolutely love having a mission somewhere and just start legging it. Fighting past bandits or wildlife, figuring out which roads would be best to take and so on. Then, after being fairly sure you're getting close, checking the map and finding that you're barely halfway if that.

This game is gargantuan compared to Oblivion. Well, I haven't actually done any measuring, but  it -feels- much much larger.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #88 on: 12 Nov 2011, 23:40 »

You should try joining the Dark Brotherhood. I swear Miz wore out enough Shrouded Boots to make the Dark Brotherhood outfitter cry out in anguish. You go -all over the map-. And of course, if you don't want to use fast-travel, it becomes even worse (or better, depending on viewpoint). But yeah... I absolutely love having a mission somewhere and just start legging it. Fighting past bandits or wildlife, figuring out which roads would be best to take and so on. Then, after being fairly sure you're getting close, checking the map and finding that you're barely halfway if that.

This game is gargantuan compared to Oblivion. Well, I haven't actually done any measuring, but  it -feels- much much larger.

Man, I'm tempted. I ran with the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion because gods save me, I just loved those guys so much. The whole "family" aspect made it creepy and endearing at the same time, and when the time came to perform the Purification, well... I was a pretty sad panda Khajiit. But, such is the way of Sithis. Not to mention, pulling off flawless assassinations always makes me happy.

This time around, I don't know what way I'll fall, honestly. Varghoss the wandering hunter is mostly focusing on surviving Skyrim at the moment. I've put him into the same "assassin" type class I usually play, with the addition of some dual-wield dagger and light armor skills for when there's not enough room to launch an arrow. I'm tempted to join up with the Stormcloaks, only because I've only just now read the history leading up to Skyrim. In Oblivion I at least felt some compassion towards the Empire, but, without the Septim line... I don't know. Something about the way they're treating the Nord territory seems like it's nothing more than a land grab.

If you haven't checked it out yet, y'all should read up a little. Pretty depressing shit:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Empire#Current_State_of_The_Empire
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2011, 23:43 by Senn Typhos »
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #89 on: 12 Nov 2011, 23:53 »

If you haven't checked it out yet, y'all should read up a little. Pretty depressing shit:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Empire#Current_State_of_The_Empire

Nice link there, Senn.  Thanks.  I was wondering what the situation looked like outside Skyrim and... holy crap.  Guess I didn't realize what a major shift the end of the Third Era brought.  Sounds like the Empire has completely collapsed.  Rome circa 410 AD.  And (!) Argonians invade and conquer Morrowind?  Talk about a slave revolt.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23