Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 17 new EVE/DUST corps in-game!  (Read 10404 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: 17 new EVE/DUST corps in-game!
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2012, 00:13 »

I honestly think a fair few of these descriptions will become disingenuous, or belong in a PF article. If people can join the Imperial Templar organization, the players WILL wreck its supposed creditability.

Unless there is only one joinable corporation per faction, which would make sense I guess? Or 1 NPC / 1 FW corp.

It will be interesting to see if the early choices made by players in Eve are repeated in DUST by those less familiar with the setting.

While I could see a group of us deciding that to setup a squad of Imperial Templars focused on being true to background, I suspect other corporations will appeal to the wider player base.

I am not certain how other functional NPC corps would appeal to the wider player base, as presumably the DUST 514 NPC system will mirror EVE's blank NPC slate as well. That is to say, there is no functional or beneficial difference between starter/NPC corporations. If it does not, and innovates in some way I cannot foresee, then I can see something great occurring.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2012, 00:40 »

Wow  :eek:

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2012, 03:38 »

Dragonaurs rep'r'sent tbfh. 

I am really looking forwards to seeing what the dust merge is going to bring to eve.  Sure, we will, as naysayers will point out, get a horde of screaming adhd console types, but the eve universe is immensely attractive to a target audience that cannot sustain it's time consuming nature (full timers who can't commit with any regularity, i know we have full time worker eve players here, but you know the guys I mean) - it is here we may pick up the more mature gamers we're missing.  With any luck, there will be some role players among them.  New blood with a new perspective, plus new official fluff, should really be what this community needs. 

Excited really doesn't cover it for me. 

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2012, 05:49 »

I'd like to see the flavour they go for with each of the faction FW infantry (Federal Marines, State Peacekeepers, Republic Command, Imperial Guard), in terms of culture, style, doctrine etc.

My guess is that the Federal Marines are your cookie-cutter US Colonial Marines style unit. Multi-coloured, multi-racial bunch with no enforced off-duty personality. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I've always gone with the rag-tag individual approach to the Gallente marines (since it fits with what we know of them). Also somewhat interesting to get full confirmation the Marines are completely separate from Navy and Army. I wonder what separates a marine unit from an army one?

Now, State Peacekeepers. Sounds like it's neither Caldari Navy marines or Caldari Army. First mention of them. I bet this isn't UN-style "playing soccer with kids" peacekeeping, and is probably a Farscape nod. Sounds like highly-efficient, likely brutal government enforcement troops. We don't really know much about the Caldari military organization, if there is a civilian commander-in-chief or what. Maybe the Peacekeepers are the only ones who answer fully to the CEP?

I wonder if Imperial Guard subscribes to the modern Gallente/Caldari doctrine, or if its tactics are more anachronistic-yet-still-effective. I'm biased towards as much uniqueness between the four faction militaries as possible (seems CCP agrees, not having called all the other DUST corps generic PMCs exactly), so I'm more leaning towards WH40k than Call of Duty for these guys.

Republic Command is a weird one, because I'm sure there's already a mention of "Republic Infantry" going around. At any rate, whether this is pure tribal, the Modern Gallente Model, or a hybrid of both is anyone's guess by this point.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2012, 06:20 »

Algintal Core
Originating as a military unit seconded to corporate interests studying the behavior of rogue drones in the Algintal constellation, the Algintal Core have maintained a clinical care and attention in everything they do, even after cutting formal ties with the original research effort and Federation military alike. Exposure to the realities of corporate life has inevitably added a certain cynicism to the attitudes of the founding operatives, which has served them well as suppliers in the military services sector.
Hey, that is me.

Or at least related to my studies on the ancient races. If I am lucky, a search on 'Algintal' on the wiki will generate more publicity of the stuff I wrote. Good to see CCP has not forgotten all about the stories in the Cosmos sites.

I am greatly anticipating this EVE - DUST integration. Sadly, I think I would be bored immediatly if I returned to EVE today. :(
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2012, 08:02 »

My guess is that the Federal Marines are your cookie-cutter US Colonial Marines style unit. Multi-coloured, multi-racial bunch with no enforced off-duty personality. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I've always gone with the rag-tag individual approach to the Gallente marines (since it fits with what we know of them). Also somewhat interesting to get full confirmation the Marines are completely separate from Navy and Army. I wonder what separates a marine unit from an army one?
Going with the USCM as a starting point is probably a decent starting point for the FedMar.  I think there are little details that can be added that make them slightly different.

Is there a Federal Army?  It may be that the FedMar is the more Federal of the two surface components.  I can see the Federal Army being a catch all for planetary defense forces, who as part of the Federation utilize a common set of standards and doctrines.  They however are there to protect their home planets and rarely are called upon to leave.

The FedMar is mobile, highly trained, spacefaring, drop podding, component specialized in executing rapid strike missions to cripple the command and control nods of organizations that threaten Federal security (to include the occasional rogue Federal Army Planetary Commander perhaps!).  They have a tight and well oiled relationship with the Federal Navy.[/quote]

Now, State Peacekeepers. Sounds like it's neither Caldari Navy marines or Caldari Army. First mention of them. I bet this isn't UN-style "playing soccer with kids" peacekeeping, and is probably a Farscape nod. Sounds like highly-efficient, likely brutal government enforcement troops. We don't really know much about the Caldari military organization, if there is a civilian commander-in-chief or what. Maybe the Peacekeepers are the only ones who answer fully to the CEP?
I think one of the challenges for the State side of things is there are 8 PMCs which likely have a wide variety of subordinate PMCs with various specialties.  The State Peacekeepers are likely just the ground component of the State Protectorate.   The Caldari military organization is interesting because it very much depends on how one views the State as a whole functioning.  The CN for example is funded by the CEP and so presumably the CN's "board of directors" is CEP appointed.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2012, 08:59 »

Is there a Federal Army?  It may be that the FedMar is the more Federal of the two surface components.  I can see the Federal Army being a catch all for planetary defense forces, who as part of the Federation utilize a common set of standards and doctrines.  They however are there to protect their home planets and rarely are called upon to leave.

The FedMar is mobile, highly trained, spacefaring, drop podding, component specialized in executing rapid strike missions to cripple the command and control nods of organizations that threaten Federal security (to include the occasional rogue Federal Army Planetary Commander perhaps!).  They have a tight and well oiled relationship with the Federal Navy.

This article mentions the existence of the Federal Army. I think your interpretation is spot-on actually. It might be similar to Eurocorps and EUFOR, just without the 'rapid reaction' bit. Although it is not Federal in the sense it directly answers to the President (as you said), it may be federal or confederal in terms of structure, rather than a singular entity like the other two branches.

As for that description of FedMar, heh, I would like to claim a monopoly on that, but I'm sure all of the marine forces are like that...or maybe not. The Amarr might just "bombard from space", whereas the Caldari as a defensive force might want defeat the enemy in space to prevent warfare ever needing to occur on the ground in the first place (fits in with that mention about how Caldari ground forces are poorly-equipped, and the lightning warfare bit). Ofc there'll be variations between the 8 megacorp security forces, but I think they'll be a grade lower in capabilities compared to a nationally-funded force (like the Fed marines). Or rather, Home Guard might be excellent at station boarding for example, better than FedMar, but FedMar have a much broader pallet of capabilities.

I think one of the challenges for the State side of things is there are 8 PMCs which likely have a wide variety of subordinate PMCs with various specialties.  The State Peacekeepers are likely just the ground component of the State Protectorate.   The Caldari military organization is interesting because it very much depends on how one views the State as a whole functioning.  The CN for example is funded by the CEP and so presumably the CN's "board of directors" is CEP appointed.

Being the ground component of the State Protectorate sort of keeps it consistent with the name (considering they seemingly prefer using 'Caldari' as the traditional national prefix in general, not State). And yeah I think the lack of CCP guidance on these specific matters means it is down to a bit of interpretation. If we assume the State Protectorate is Heth's baby, for conquering and destroying the Federation (something the Caldari Navy is not really purposed for; ignoring the jingoism from the admiral in Dark End of Space chron), then the State Peacekeepers are an extension of that. Deliberately using propagandistic names that go against what it's actually intended for also fits in with the Heth doctrine. The State 'Protectorate' isn't protecting since it says it's going to go out there and conquer...similarly, the State Peacekeepers will be conquering Gallente planetside territories rather than said UN-style humanitarian stuff.

So it's a case of another layer of factionalism within the State, this time in the military and not corporate. Caldari Navy/Army might be more traditional "Defend the State!", whereas State Protectorate/Peacekeepers are Heth's radical "Destroy the Federation!".

Also with regards to civilian control...another ambigious area. Might fall under CEP, but given the fact the State was founded on militarism and war, the Caldari Navy might occupy an independent status not dissimilar to those found in dictatorships IRL. They might consider themselves Caldari traditionalists that do not concern themselves with corporate warfare/"petty disagreements", and are concerned with the Caldari people as a whole. It might be that they receive orders from the CEP, but "war room control" is done by Caldari admirals, not senior politicians as in the Federation. I imagine CEOs might try to intervene in military C&C, but they are rebuked as "The safety of the Caldari people come first, not your quarterly profits". This emphasizes the efficiency amongst the Caldari, versus when civilian leaders in the Fed go "You can't just bomb the enemy, those are my constituents down there!" making them less efficient but more '''''humane''''.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2012, 11:28 »

*NOMS THE PF*
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2012, 15:00 »

Yeah, they even almost sound like the local nationalist bunch of provist syndics and people's commissars to me, with that name.

I wonder if Imperial Guard subscribes to the modern Gallente/Caldari doctrine, or if its tactics are more anachronistic-yet-still-effective. I'm biased towards as much uniqueness between the four faction militaries as possible (seems CCP agrees, not having called all the other DUST corps generic PMCs exactly), so I'm more leaning towards WH40k than Call of Duty for these guys.

Might be yes. I wonder how they are going to translate all the already existing lore around the (quite) extensive number of elite various troops of the Amarr bloc, into a DUST context.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2012, 04:15 »

Considering that the amarr were the first to develop DUSTy technology and have (at least) two big elite fighting forces at hand now with the Kameiras and khanid cyberknights I kind of doubt we will see Cadian/Krieg style human-wave tactics used  ;)

Personally I expect them to have dust fall into line with EVE as far as game/race design goes.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2012, 05:10 »

I agree on the Amarrian front.  Don;t forget that the Amarr empire has a good degree of drone/automation technology, and that their population focus, especially slave caste, is industrial/agriculturally focused according to the PF (due to the perceived purity of hard labour, and the unmentioned difficulties of keeping a slave population contained in the bowels of a warship over time).  Infact the Amarr are very advanced indeed, both socially and technologically, though they have what we would consider to be an arcane and ancient method of governing themselves and ordering society. 

I see little reason why, when faced with tactics that espouse a 'less is more' philosophy, the Amarr would waste resources on human wave tactics.  CCP, with some authors in particular, seem to neglect the fact that the Amarr are not universal hypocrites with waxed moustaches and plans that are easily foiled.  They actively integrate aspects of other cultures that are useful (as long as doing so doesn't dilute Pure Blood primacy), and the creation of the Kameiras and PSYKLAD warfare indicates that they have a very good grasp of both shock tactics and psychological warfare as a whole.  It can be assumed that they are similarly developed with regards to guerilla and partisan warfare when required. 

This is not to say that there are not iconic 'strengths' to each race's military, but at this point, we only have those licensed technologies dust marines can use as an indication of racial bias - and this is only a show case of 'best of the best' technology, those pieces deemed worthy, even at the 'militia' (low-grade) level, of being wielded by immortal super soldiers.  It will be interesting to see if CCP expands on the 'traditional armed forces' of the four Empires, but this may be a forlorn hope with the schizophrenic way in which the PF has generally been advanced (or not).

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2012, 14:10 »

It can be assumed that they are similarly developed with regards to guerilla and partisan warfare when required. 

I think thats an unfounded assumption given historical, military, and political norms, to be honest.  A feudal dictatorship with a massive slave population that trains a large number of soldiers in guerilla and partisan warfare is not long for this earth.  Its the last thing either the Empress and the Holders would want to teach their armies, even if it puts their armies at some disadvantage. 

You would be teaching your soldiers (and slaves?) not only how to be the perfect rebel, but how to train the perfect rebel.  And a dictatorship/feudal monarchy with a massive slave population has a ready-made rebellion at any given moment. 

Dictatorships are always focused on maintaining civilian and military control, first and foremost.  Slaving societies even more so.  Their first, second, and third emphasis is always controlling the population, by necessity. If they dont, they're overthrown, and generally they suffer a very poor fate, often up to and including dying horribly along with their family and supporters.

I cant realistically imagine any dictator/monarch of a slave-owning society to actually train citizens or slaves skilled in both executing and teaching partisan style warfare, especially when locked in a decades-long struggle with a former rebellious population that has many ties to within your own nation.  Such tactics might exist in the Empire, possibly, but I highly doubt such tactics are as wide spread as the other factions. 
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2012, 14:16 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2012, 15:11 »

There is a bit of standardization/homogenization of all four faction's fighting methods when it comes to DUST, but as Ael said, it seems to be a separate area of warfare to general empire conflict.

I would propose that the Amarr Empire has actually no long-term experience fighting an enemy that is of equal match to itself, until recently. The Gallente and Caldari engaged one another on equal footing (after the evac of Caldari Prime) for around a century. Ofc I'm sure the Amarr have long begun training in "interstellar empire vs empire" warfare, but it's not something they've ever been hardened by. Which is the curious note regarding Amarr's military strength, that would be its 'deficiency' over it sheer power and numbers.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2012, 16:33 »

Well, well, well Seriphyn, you shouldn't be so quick to apply your personal bias here.
The amarr are direct neighbours to the two most militarized and well organised pirate factions (Sansha and Blooders respectively). They're also the ones with the most and longest experience in actually deploying immortal super soldiers.

I don't see the empire having a disatvantage on the DUST front at all. They have the experience, they have the technology and they have proven and tested methods not only for training said warriors, but also for deploying and maintaining them. If anything the Amarr will have an initial edge over all other factions from a PF pov in the DUST theater.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2012, 16:48 »

It's not personal bias (that word is trite because it can work both ways). The Amarr Empire has never engaged in a long-term major interstellar war with an empire in similar scope before YC110. The Blood Raiders are exempt since they just take up a constellation and aren't an empire in the same sense. Similarly, Sansha's Nation nowadays (before the incursion) are remnants, and the original conflict was led by the GalFed and was a disproportionate 4-to-1. I wasn't really referring to DUST here, but in general. Every faction military has its own strengths and weaknesses.

To say the Amarr Empire has absolutely no military weaknesses whatsoever because of its size and never-ending list of special forces is also 'bias'. It may have training in modern empire-vs-empire warfare, but it doesn't have any established experience in it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4