Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 17 new EVE/DUST corps in-game!  (Read 10402 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
17 new EVE/DUST corps in-game!
« on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:05 »

There are 17 in total. 3 starter corps for each empire, and 1 FW corp (I presume). And one additional corp for Caldari. Check it out.

AMARR EMPIRE
The Amarrians seem to have mercenary companies notable for the fact the Empire doesn't really tolerate privately-owned corporations in general.

Amarr Templars
The business interests of the secretive Emperor Family rarely come under close scrutiny but their involvement in the establishment of the Amarr Templars mercenary company could hardly escape the attention of the wider Empire. Keen to convey an image of austere piety and ruthless loyalty, the Templars are a favorite with those corporations wishing to carry out 'hostile takeovers' of facilities on Amarr planets.

Bragian Order
Tracing their roots back to an ancient order of gladiatorial fighters, the Bragians are notorious for their brutality and will to survive against all odds. As one of the few licensed mercenary corporations working within the Amarr Empire, the Bragian Order is regularly called on by Amarr Holders and megacorporations for special jobs, regardless of their reputation for atrocity. Well understanding the trade of fighting for coin, the Bragians care for little besides their reward for victory in battle.

Royal Uhlans
Founded by veterans of the Royal Khanid Navy and its Uhlan mechanized infantry regiments, the Royal Uhlans hold themselves loyal to the martial ideals of the Khanid Kingdom and its people. Since the rapprochement between the Kingdom and the Amarr Empire, the Uhlans have increasingly been seen on Empire holdings and are a well-regarded alternative to the existing Amarr mercenary companies. Rumor has it that the business-oriented Tash-Murkon house especially favors them as a go-to force for deniable ops

Imperial Guard (Presumed FW corp, HQ'd on a 24th station)
A detachment of Her Highness, Empress Jamyl Sarum the First's private guard.

CALDARI STATE
Emphasized for having independent mercenary corporations that start out as originally being owned by the 'great familes of the Caldari State' (makes sense, since 90% of the State is controlled by the Big Eight)

Osmon Surveillance
As with many mercenary corporations authorized to carry out planetary operations by the Caldari Executive Panel, Osmon Surveillance began life as part of the personal army of one of the great families of the Caldari State: the Osmon, owners of the Hyasyoda megacorporation. Now rumored to have gone rogue, but retaining Caldari corporate status, the infiltration and black operations wing of the Osmon family militia has turned into a ruthless mercenary corporation willing to take any job from any client.

Seituoda Taskforce Command
Founded by the reclusive Seituoda family, the mercenary company that bears their name is believed to be controlled by one of the losers in a bitter family war for supremacy over the military-industrial powerhouse that is the Wiyrkomi megacorporation. While some of the contracts lately fulfilled by the Command may have tarnished the Seituoda reputation for honor, the unimpeachable reliability of their word has, if anything, been enhanced by the lengths to which its mercenaries go to complete a job.

State Peacekeepers (Presumed FW corp, HQ'd on a STPRO station)
No desc

Templis Dragonaurs (mysteriously HQ'd on a Ministry of War station)
The Templis Dragonaurs are an ultra-nationalist Caldari terrorist organization whose origins date back to the Tikiona States. They are the most anti-Gallentean political entity in New Eden, and were secretly involved in the destruction of Nouvelle Rouvenor.

Zumari Force Projection
Standing somewhat above the internecine fray of the Caldari megacorporations and great families, Zumari Force Projection represents a cold and implacable focus on getting the job done, and collecting on its contracts. Founded by the famed Navy commander Minato Zumari, the tactical organization of the mercenary company is almost indistinguishable from Caldari State military structures. Nevertheless, this is seen as nothing more than efficiency by the Zumari board, and is secondary to the pursuit of profit by the company.

GALLENTE FEDERATION
No real pattern here. Which fits the Gallente. Seem to fit the more vanilla PMC model.

Algintal Core
Originating as a military unit seconded to corporate interests studying the behavior of rogue drones in the Algintal constellation, the Algintal Core have maintained a clinical care and attention in everything they do, even after cutting formal ties with the original research effort and Federation military alike. Exposure to the realities of corporate life has inevitably added a certain cynicism to the attitudes of the founding operatives, which has served them well as suppliers in the military services sector.

Crux Special Tasks Group
In April YC108, following certain archaeological discoveries in the Crux constellation, the Gallente Federation assembled a special tasks group reporting directly to the Federal Intelligence Office. Whatever the Crux discoveries amounted to has never been made public and those who led the expedition are currently listed as working for the Federal government in various confidential roles. The Crux Special Tasks Group was eventually privatized under Federal directive and licensed to carry out paramilitary operations in the corporate security sector.

Villore Sec Ops
In the wake of the infamous Elarel massacre, the Quafe megacorporation, hugely embarrassed by the incident, dismissed almost the entire upper echelon of its security division. These men and women promptly formed their own private security company and, forced into taking jobs most would not by the taint of their failure at Elarel, rapidly gained a reputation for absolute ruthlessness and total dedication to getting results for those giving them contracts. The board of Villore Sec Ops now presides over one of the most important mercenary contracting organizations operating in Gallente space.

Federal Marines (presumed FW corp, HQ'd on FDU station)
HOO-AH! Just kidding, no desc atm.

MINMATAR REPUBLIC
Tribe-flavoured. No surprises there.

Circle of Huskarl
The Minmatar organizations known as 'circles' are formed for as many purposes as corporations or societies found in other nations may be, and the Circle of Huskarl specialized in providing bodyguards to any who could pay their price. As the fledgling Minmatar Republic expanded and developed, the Circle's services began to be especially called for by visitors from other nations and corporations. Exposure to the ways of interstellar corporations, and the allure of incredible profits, soon led the Circle of Huskarl to diversify into mercenary services.

Sanmatar Kelkoons
In the ancient Minmatar Empire, the leaders of the Minmatar people were called 'Sanmatar' and their military councils staffed by officers known as 'kelkoons', an archaic Brutor word signifying a veteran warrior. The owners of the Sanmatar Kelkoons seek to play on that heritage even though their mercenaries have absolutely no connection to the present Sanmatar or the Republic military. Minmatar tribalists may consider this usage outrageous but the long history of abusing this terminology almost amounts to a tradition in itself. For their part, the Sanmatar Kelkoons continue to attract top rates for the services of their mercenary forces.

Tronhandar Free Guard
The Tronhadar Free Guard claim to trace their origins back to Krusual clans who held out against the Amarr invaders in the mountains of occupied Matar. That, at least, is the branding. While it seems true that it was founded by a pair of Krusual warlords, the company displays the utter lack of scruples one would expect in a Guristas interstellar pirate, and a like appetite for profit and power. No-one is quite sure who stands behind the Free Guard today but the rumor is that the enigmatic Kolvil Eifyr has a hand in its operations.

Republic Command (presumed FW corp, HQ'd on TLF station)
No desc

A bunch of 9-10 additional corps for each faction that have wierd placeholder names like D1.Co1.Sy1.St1.C1 and C3.Co2.Sy1.St1.C1...no idea what those are.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2012, 12:36 by Seriphyn »

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: 17 new EVE/DUST corps in-game!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2012, 13:00 »

Very interesting indeed.

I kinda wish that CCP used established Eve merc corps to inspire the Dust planetside merc organizations, for purely egalitarian and entirely non-selfish reasons of course... it would be a nice nod, I think.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2012, 13:20 »

HOO-AH!

'Merica. In space.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2012, 13:40 »

HOO-AH!

'Merica. In space.

I recent this joke :evil:

Clearly it's Mexico. In space. :twisted:

Or none of them, actually, as the Marines of the Fed have been around in lore since launch, clearly we are all just messing about.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2012, 14:00 »

Somewhat related, from DUST devblogs. Interesting to note how, at least for this specific Caldari dropsuit, advanced technology doesn't matter that much for infantry at the least. Really like how the Amarr seek to amalgamate "science and religion" too.

Amarr
The look of this Amarrian suit has changed little since it was first created, due largely to the commonly held belief that its original form is immaculate; the perfect amalgam of science and religion. Aesthetics are as important as function, because to the Amarr, aesthetics are function. Enshrined within the armor, the wearer becomes a vessel, the embodiment of God’s will and an instrument of holy wrath, unmistakable, and feared, by all who look upon him. To the Amarr, the dropsuit itself is the weapon.

Caldari
The Caldari dropsuit design and aesthetic philosophy is heavily influenced by the culture’s origins on brutally frigid home worlds, dismissing stylistic notions in exchange for the ruthless, bare-minimum functionality requirements needed to keep a soldier alive.  As such, the Caldari suit is notoriously uncomfortable and outright ungainly in some instances, yet remains in high demand due to its remarkable resilience in smart battlefields.

Gallente
Gallente military doctrine places a premium on human life, favoring technological solutions that augment or even entirely replace human combatants in a conflict as part of an on-going effort to minimize loss of life on the battlefield. To this end, Gallente forces have access to some of the most advanced armor systems in the cluster.

Minmatar
Native Minmatar tech favors straightforward solutions, a consequence of the fledgling nation’s indigent past. Used to working with limited resources, Minmatar scientists and engineers have made good use of the cutting-edge equipment allocated to them, creating a high-tech armor system that is at once an homage to the traditions of the past, and a bold statement that speaks to the future of the Minmatar people.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2012, 16:16 »

HOO-AH!

'Merica. In space.

brazil mate, brazil, its bikinis and cachaça all around

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2012, 17:28 »

HOO-AH!

'Merica. In space.

Or none of them, actually, as the Marines of the Fed have been around in lore since launch, clearly we are all just messing about.

Actually, there is an inside joke here. 

"Hoo-ah" is an American military tradition.  Which slight variations.  The Army is "Hoo-wah" (its in Black Hawk Down IIRC),  Navy is "Hoo-yah" (a SEAL stable) and the Marines are "Hoo-rah".  The Air Force, well, they dont get into that kinda thing.  That would be too much like being in the military.   

Proper use is basically a kind of motivated "okay".  "Seri, drop and give me 50." "Hoo-yah" 

Yes the differences matter. 

Hence Kat's "merica" joke.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2012, 17:34 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2012, 18:35 »

Crux Special Tasks Group
In April YC108, following certain archaeological discoveries in the Crux constellation, the Gallente Federation assembled a special tasks group reporting directly to the Federal Intelligence Office. Whatever the Crux discoveries amounted to has never been made public and those who led the expedition are currently listed as working for the Federal government in various confidential roles. The Crux Special Tasks Group was eventually privatized under Federal directive and licensed to carry out paramilitary operations in the corporate security sector.

.oO(Hmm.  Bioweapons? Maybe I shouldn't have written all that grim fluff about the native mycotoxins in Mies....)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2012, 19:54 »

Oh man... seeing portents of the future... Kyonoke Grenades.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2012, 21:32 »

HOO-AH!

'Merica. In space.

Actually, there is an inside joke here. 

"Hoo-ah" is an American military tradition.  Which slight variations.  The Army is "Hoo-wah" (its in Black Hawk Down IIRC),  Navy is "Hoo-yah" (a SEAL stable) and the Marines are "Hoo-rah".  The Air Force, well, they dont get into that kinda thing.  That would be too much like being in the military.   

Proper use is basically a kind of motivated "okay".  "Seri, drop and give me 50." "Hoo-yah" 

Yes the differences matter. 

Hence Kat's "merica" joke.
It is short for something akin to "Heard and Acknowledged."

The differences matter incredibly much.  Say Hoo-wah to a Marine and he will at best laugh at you for being weak sauce in the Army.  Say Hoo-rah to a Soldier and he will laugh at you for joining the Corp.  Nobody messes with SEALs (or Delta or the ilk).  And I resemble the Air Force remark, military-industrial techno-complex represent  ;)

Bloodbird, fyi, resent not recent.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2012, 21:57 »

It is short for something akin to "Heard and Acknowledged."

The differences matter incredibly much.  Say Hoo-wah to a Marine and he will at best laugh at you for being weak sauce in the Army.  Say Hoo-rah to a Soldier and he will laugh at you for joining the Corp.  Nobody messes with SEALs (or Delta or the ilk).  And I resemble the Air Force remark, military-industrial techno-complex represent  ;)

Bloodbird, fyi, resent not recent.

I know. Was a typo. I R Iletareate.

Somewhat besides the point, I have never been able to respect or even laugh at that 'not so friendly rivalry' among the US military branches. I heard a story once about an Army grunt that got beat up by a marine (both being civilians at the time) for, supposedly, getting the above wrong. I'm not entirely sure how true it is, but I've heard of similar cases at different times. Regardless, when you have a military where different branches apparently look down on each other and get to such cases, you have an issue, not an endearing quirk, and should look into fixing you fuck-up ASAP. I ran into a smaller case of this when I was in the military myself, but while I was, at the time, thinking of the above-mentioned issue, ours seemed more of an internal competition to excel and be better than said other branch, not a superiority issue that leads to looking down on your own fellow soldiers.

Having said all of that, learning where that over-rated expression comes from (or rather, what it's short-hand for) is nice, so thanks for sharing. Guess "Acknowledged" isn't cool enough for the military in the US. Now that I think about it, I guess it really isn't.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2012, 22:25 »

I know. Was a typo. I R Iletareate.

Having said all of that, learning where that over-rated expression comes from (or rather, what it's short-hand for) is nice, so thanks for sharing. Guess "Acknowledged" isn't cool enough for the military in the US. Now that I think about it, I guess it really isn't.
My intent was not to say you are illiterate.  I thought it might be a "spelling mistake" of a non-native speaker (you are Norsk correct?).  English is horrible when it comes to spelling, even for native speakers.

Acknowledged can be challenging to say loudly, coherently, as a group with varying "native" accents.  Imagine trying to get an Italian, Frenchman, and Spaniard to all say "affirmative" in unison with "one voice."

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2012, 23:28 »

My intent was not to say you are illiterate.  I thought it might be a "spelling mistake" of a non-native speaker (you are Norsk correct?).  English is horrible when it comes to spelling, even for native speakers.

Acknowledged can be challenging to say loudly, coherently, as a group with varying "native" accents.  Imagine trying to get an Italian, Frenchman, and Spaniard to all say "affirmative" in unison with "one voice."

Aaah, defeated by the internet's lack of vocal content again. The above was meant to be ironic, a self-targeted joke over a typo I made myself, so no offense taken ;)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2012, 23:43 »

I honestly think a fair few of these descriptions will become disingenuous, or belong in a PF article. If people can join the Imperial Templar organization, the players WILL wreck its supposed creditability.

Unless there is only one joinable corporation per faction, which would make sense I guess? Or 1 NPC / 1 FW corp.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2012, 00:07 »

I honestly think a fair few of these descriptions will become disingenuous, or belong in a PF article. If people can join the Imperial Templar organization, the players WILL wreck its supposed creditability.

Unless there is only one joinable corporation per faction, which would make sense I guess? Or 1 NPC / 1 FW corp.

It will be interesting to see if the early choices made by players in Eve are repeated in DUST by those less familiar with the setting.

While I could see a group of us deciding that to setup a squad of Imperial Templars focused on being true to background, I suspect other corporations will appeal to the wider player base.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4