Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Evolution of Amarrian Religions - Updated  (Read 18554 times)

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
Re: Evolution of Amarrian Religions - Updated
« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2014, 16:14 »

Primary sources are obviously great, but one of the main benefits to contemporary academic works is that they often will include smaller or lesser known primary works that are more difficult to find because they are not published in and of themselves. Also, they can provide a variety of context that can be missing from primary sources. So while Agrippa is obviously important, there were many others within the tradition or on the outskirts of it that people may not have heard of if they just read Agrippa. This can also apply to journal articles that explore smaller or specific topics or people that scholars are not quite ready to publish an entire book on yet.

I agree, there is something to be said for not only studying a single primary source - and even though I'd say that Agrippa's three books give a quite nice overview, it simply lacks giving context like a contemporary study does. So unless one plans to dive head first into the various treatises of renaissance magic, I agree that startign with a contemporary study is the way to go.

I'd still suggest to go on with Agrippa after reading e.g. Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition. Having the background of that it's much more worthwhile to study Agrippa's three books, if one wants to delve deeper. On the other hand, if one really wants to get in deeper, one certainly needs to read the three books, as they on the one hand collected most of the knowledge of their time and on the other informed almost everything that followed.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2014, 16:17 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2014, 17:05 »

Lets just all watch the anime Rental Magica, that'll fix this conversation good.

When discussion a *fiction* which is EVE, this is as good a source as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw2F4cnY5Bc

* Arista Shahni slinks off.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2014, 19:38 »

Lets just all watch the anime Rental Magica, that'll fix this conversation good.

No. I take fiction-writing as seriously as I take writing project papers.

If you enjoy doing something, you might as well be doing it seriously. I am very serious with my fun.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Nauplius

• Clonejack
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2014, 20:44 »

So speaking of Satan, on the wiki it says that Molok the Deceiver went through a sort of historical deification after his death, becoming a spirit of temptation.  A logical step in that process would be some people actually worshiping Molok.  Or at least imagining that other people worship Molok, just as imagining that people worship Satan has probably always exceeded actual Satan worship.

In game and on the IGS, I have Nauplius accusing some of his in-character adversaries of Molok worship.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2014, 20:47 »

So speaking of Satan, on the wiki it says that Molok the Deceiver went through a sort of historical deification after his death, becoming a spirit of temptation.  A logical step in that process would be some people actually worshiping Molok.  Or at least imagining that other people worship Molok, just as imagining that people worship Satan has probably always exceeded actual Satan worship.

In game and on the IGS, I have Nauplius accusing some of his in-character adversaries of Molok worship.

That was a pretty standard way of accusing someone of heresy.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2014, 21:19 »

If you enjoy doing something, you might as well be doing it seriously. I am very serious with my fun.

I kind of agree. We have been discussing RL inspirations for/comparisons to Blood Raiders here for a bit. I just think one should have ones sources right if one does so. It helps a lot with getting ones facts straight.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #36 on: 10 Sep 2014, 23:40 »

This.

It is as important to conduct research when writing a fictional setting as it is when writing a non-fiction one. It's what separates good fiction from bad fiction.

Just because fiction depicts events that have never actually happened does not mean that you can't or shouldn't draw upon events that did happen for reference and inspiration. LotR for example was a piece with heavy academic background, which is why it was so believable.

Studying the collective human experience is important anytime you are trying to convey the human experience, and writing is all about the human experience.

Likewise, some characters consider Nauplius the worshipper of Molok. :D

Of course, in Amarr Molok, like hell, is usually viewed less as an actual spirit or demon and more as just general temptation and self-doubt, which makes him a bit different from being the classical Satan figure. Something like Christadelphian belief of Satan, or general demythologization. But it can be expected that a lot of people would still view him in an anthropomorphized way.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 00:16 by Samira Kernher »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2014, 00:50 »

This.

It is as important to conduct research when writing a fictional setting as it is when writing a non-fiction one. It's what separates good fiction from bad fiction.

Just because fiction depicts events that have never actually happened does not mean that you can't or shouldn't draw upon events that did happen for reference and inspiration. LotR for example was a piece with heavy academic background, which is why it was so believable.

Studying the collective human experience is important anytime you are trying to convey the human experience, and writing is all about the human experience.

Have you any idea just how much work I had to put in just to get one chapter of fanfiction done and posted? I mean serious, I ended up studying tons about historical swordfighting and warfare just so I can depict fighting with raw quality. I had to sit down and think about how certain characters would act for fifteen minutes before I start writing that bit down. I look at every line of dialogue and kept asking myself 'Is this what that character would had said in that situation to this other character?' I would love to say naming is the hardest part of writing but really? It isn't. I just boot up a name generator, choose a theme and click a button. Everything else, from towns to city state governance to architecture to period costume to, well, even food, I had to research. Alot.

It's actually pretty damn fun.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:05 »

Yup. For every bit of writing I do, 90% of it is consumed by research. Which is why a lot of it never gets finished but hey! <.<

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2014, 07:14 »

Anyone who thinks their fiction is not based on real life and other fiction is delusional. All fiction is inspired by something, derived from something. The difference is whether the writer is aware of those influences and attempts to handle them intelligently.

+1 for research.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 11 Sep 2014, 09:07 »

again. Like =/= is.

If they weren't packed in 14 boxes I woud take pics of the rams of books on Roman, Etruscan, Greek and other warfare books for a fiction book that had fuckall to do with, nor could barelt be compared to, greeks, romans, and etruscans, because someone swinging a sword is not immediately idefitifiable as THE ROMAN STYLE.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 09:10 by Arista Shahni »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2014, 19:15 »

again. Like =/= is.

If they weren't packed in 14 boxes I woud take pics of the rams of books on Roman, Etruscan, Greek and other warfare books for a fiction book that had fuckall to do with, nor could barelt be compared to, greeks, romans, and etruscans, because someone swinging a sword is not immediately idefitifiable as THE ROMAN STYLE.

Have you ever wondered where inspiration come from? Half out out serendipity and the other half out of research. Every swordfighting method has predecessors, which in turn has their own predecessors. This is the march of progress. To write good swordfighting scene, we study all those: the theory behind it, the concept of geometry, how to act and how to counter-act in different situations, the frame of mind of the guy holding the sword, the stances, etc etc. Then we add our own spin into it.

Personally, I'm a big fan of German school of swordfighting. Economy of motion, man!
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 19:34 by Elmund Egivand »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2014, 19:57 »

*sigh*

Like =/= is.

But This seems to be CONFUSING PEOPLE.

Before I get SO offended by the topic I stick my foot in my mouth and get banned?

I'm out.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #43 on: 11 Sep 2014, 20:05 »

No one here has said that like = is.

Like is like, and so you research things that are like what you are writing about to get inspiration and a starting point from which to base off of.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2014, 21:06 »

No one here has said that like = is.

Like is like, and so you research things that are like what you are writing about to get inspiration and a starting point from which to base off of.

You conveyed your point in one sentence while I do the same with one paragraph. That's something I should work on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4