Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the war between Electus Matari and PIE Inc started when -EM- pilots destroyed a slaver vessel in The Bleak Lands?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Capsuleer Ages  (Read 4605 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: Capsuleer Ages
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2011, 17:35 »

Might be worth noting that, over the centuries, the age of majority has gone up, not down. No more preteen midshipmen in imperial navies, or preteen university students.

The "traditional" subcultures found amongst all four factions will not tolerate children trying to be more mature than they are. Even in the Federation, I imagine that enough conservative pressure is applied on the government to never let the age of recruitment into the military drop any lower than 16-18. The Gallenteans have "high moral standards" when it comes to institutional affairs, never mind what they might do in their social lives.

Perhaps in the case of militaries, where it is more a matter of current prevailing morality (and a lack of apocalyptic urgency). I think it's not quite that clear cut otherwise. In some ways, people grow up really, really fast these days (I seem to recall that this is actually the case physiologically as well, but I'm lacking a quotable source). On the other, we still have 30 year olds playing what some would consider kid's games.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #31 on: 01 Jul 2011, 12:46 »

- I've long played that the combination of factors which make people able to endure the pod is rare enough that places will train even the weirdest candidates. It's hard to imagine why some of us became podders otherwise.

Pretty much this, I might be wrong, but I think I recall some bit of PF saying that everyone would get trained if they had the "potential to succeed". On the other hand I could see how that might have changed now, after almost what, nine years?

Also, the fact that the pod pilots education might start at age 14 doesn't mean they will be spaceborne by their 16th birthday or somesuch. No offense to anyone, but I sure as hell would not want to have someone fly around with in a permanently adolescent state (the poor mission agents :( ) .

Merahl

• Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 01 Jul 2011, 21:21 »

No offense to anyone, but I sure as hell would not want to have someone fly around with in a permanently adolescent state (the poor mission agents :( ) .
That's a terrifying concept, but it implies that capsuleer replacement clones -- and mental states -- would remain frozen in time and never mature. Experience is what enables us to develop; it stands to reason that a teenage capsuleer would mature mentally at or above the average rate (depending on the experiences and training; one can only imagine what effect those might have).

As to their physical state, I was under the impression that clones are "aged" to whatever the capsuleer's natural age is, rather than locked at the period in time when the genetic sample is taken. We are not Space Vampires (most of us, anyway); capsuleers are no more frozen in time than any other human, and even a cloned body would begin to show wear and tear. Given a bit of additional ISK, I'm sure a clone's age could be set at whatever age the capsuleer desires. But considering the psychological ramifications of having, as they say, an adult mind in a child's body, it seems unlikely that a teenaged capsuleer would be permitted to remain teenaged as time passes.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 02 Jul 2011, 04:45 »

I doubt a teenagers parents would let one anywhere near a combat vessel.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 02 Jul 2011, 08:01 »

If they actually have parents.

Noooo I am not refering to "my parents were killed by evil slavers"  :D

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jul 2011, 08:03 »

If they actually have parents.

Noooo I am not refering to "my parents were killed by evil slavers"  :D

Kat doesn't have parents in the traditional sense. Tube child!

Rao Kappa

• Clonejack
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2011, 15:27 »

Personally, I would imagine a rookie capsuleer in one of the four major political/military/industrial environments to hover around their early 20s age wise. This based on an assumed (which could be wrong) standard training regime that starts in your late teens and goes to 23, 24 years of age. This would incorporate an OCS, as well as a flight school curriculum that aims to get capsuleers skywise not only in a timely fashion, but in a well trained, flight competent manner. One that not only educates in the ways of combat, but in the attitude expected of a respectable capsuleer befitting their position (not that the attitude would stick past school, anyway).

That being said, I also would think that capsuleers would exist outside of that age group. Just as we have older individuals joining today's military, so would there be the same dynamic in the capsuleer corps.

You can also add into the fact, that some, such as pirate and outlaw organizations, could conceivably have older or younger pilots as not only is their technology of a different quality and standard, but their requirements are as well.

Pirates would have little concern for the overall education of the capsuleer, I would imagine, and would place more of an emphasis on the down and dirty skills needed to effectively fly the craft. This could lead to individuals placing outside a standard age group, although I also couldn't see them giving the keys to the corvette to someone still in adolescence.

Which makes me also wonder about the technology aspect. I'm sure the four major groups have different yet equal levels of capsuleer technology, that keeps their pilots on the cutting edge of the operational envelop, but it leads me to think that much like third world countries in today's time, the pirate and outlaw factions, while still possessing adequate tech, do not measure up equipment wise to their 'big brothers.' This could produce an odd strategic and tactical doctrine, as some might focus on training the skill level of the capsuleer to be equal, or greater than their hunters, and some might opt in for the 'blob' mentality, where it's accepted they can't match the skill and tech of their enemies, so they'll overwhelm with sheer numbers and hope for the best.

I suppose this would then lead me to assume that capsuleer age might not be so dependent on where the individual is in their respective growth cycle, but where the person fits into the strategic and tactical system of the employing entity.

The four factions might wish to display a professional appearance and attitude in their capsuleers they feel wouldn't be best served by extremely young individuals, while the more dubious side of the fence might not have the same reluctance.

Just my 2 ISK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]