Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Capsuleer Ages  (Read 4607 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Capsuleer Ages
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:17 »

Well, our characters are all first-generation capsuleer-clones from 105. I doubt they'd be getting older people to become capsuleers.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:23 »

Well, our characters are all first-generation capsuleer-clones from 105. I doubt they'd be getting older people to become capsuleers.

It's very possible, I think, given consideration of how more experienced implant users may more easily accept Capsule implants. Some of the Capsuleer training, for instance, may be focusing on people who have never had extensive cybernetic modification in their lives.

I'm generally pleased when there are >70 year old Capsuleers around, as fuckold age is not really explored that well in main EVE canon. We know it's possible, and some people were, but it seems to take a backseat.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:34 »

Yoshito is in his late-30s, having originally went to school to become a trader (following in his dad's footsteps) before becoming dissatisfied with the life and enrolling in the Royal Amarr Academy.

I think the young capsuleer ages are somewhat silly. In general, I ascribe to the view that capsuleer training is a lot like going to a military academy or at least other institution of higher learning. I think most people making themselves 16-year-old capsuleers are suffering from Final Fantasy syndrome and just think it's cool to have really young characters. I've yet to actually see anyone RP a character still going through puberty, though.

Merahl

• Clonejack
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:57 »

Merahl is nearly 50, having initially tested when being a capsuleer was risky, deciding against it, having a career and a family, and then cloning was introduced, making the idea more acceptable. As far as aging in Eve is concerned, I see him as being not quite middle-aged.

Consider that with today's technology more people are living into their 100s, and that most of us born in the latter third of last century can likely expect to live well past that. Having an unaugmented person in Eve, provided they had access to good medical facilities and a healthy lifestyle from infancy, live to 150 is not unfeasible. In terms of capsuleer qualifications, I think there would be more concern regarding an advanced adult's state of mind than over their physical age. People tend to be set solidly into their ways by the age of 50 or so.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2011, 22:22 »

I'm very wary about even replying to this, because as well intentioned as the OP is I think this is dissolving quickly into a "people who play x are drama ponies" or whatever the derogatory phrase of the day is. For me, the limit is 18.

Why? I find it difficult, given the world i live in now as a point of reference, to imagine underage kids are flying ridiculously powerful weapons capable of tremendous destruction. The military doesn't let you in until you're eighteen here in the USA. You can't drive without severe restrictions until you're 18 or so (you can drive younger but with permits and restrictions). In our world, you're an adult at eighteen. I find it difficult any organization would trust such hardware to underage teens.

Acerba

• Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2011, 23:31 »

I'm very wary about even replying to this, because as well intentioned as the OP is I think this is dissolving quickly into a "people who play x are drama ponies" or whatever the derogatory phrase of the day is. For me, the limit is 18.

Why? I find it difficult, given the world i live in now as a point of reference, to imagine underage kids are flying ridiculously powerful weapons capable of tremendous destruction. The military doesn't let you in until you're eighteen here in the USA. You can't drive without severe restrictions until you're 18 or so (you can drive younger but with permits and restrictions). In our world, you're an adult at eighteen. I find it difficult any organization would trust such hardware to underage teens.

I think that it's worth noting that general ideas concerning adulthood vary (sometimes greatly) across time and cultures.  The military may not take younger people in now, but there have been a large number of pre-18 teenagers to serve in the United States armed forces.  The four big countries in EVE, and the specific ethnic groups within them, are going to have their own view of adulthood which may or may not neatly line up with any real world nation's point of view. 

That said, I largely agree.  I think that the majority of capsuleers would naturally fall between mid twenties to the early forties, mostly due to education and economic constraints.  However, I think that the Amarr and Minmatar might be inclined to have younger capsuleers.  The Minmatar would be motivated to push younger people through the program because every additional Minmatar capsuleer is a potential safeguard against Amarrian aggression.  I can see the Amarr letting younger capsuleers go into space mostly because I can see their idea of adulthood, like everything else, being more rooted in medieval feudal tradition.
You can conceal sadism in technical language or flowery words, but its still just as fun to watch. Especially if tentacles are part of it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:27 »

This point makes me somewhat mitigated. As far as I am concerned, I do not mind to see people play young characters if they play them well. Add to it that capsuleers are a very recent thing, and as it is highly probable to see mindlock tests and capsukle compatibility detection done on the young people in the academies and schools in the first place, more mechanically than looking into the aging population that has already a job (usually).

Though in the case of credibility and coherence of the PF/background, I usually disapprove. I am myself playing a character very close to the limit (out of the academy at 19), when I considered several years ago that like IRL you can perfectly enter military academies before your majority, though you are graduated after ofc, and enter into service after, again. What can also go in favor of young characters is that every capsuleer is described in the PF to be considered by the empires as a source of great pride and they try to train as much as possible of them for their prestige. That in mind, it is not surprising they could push the limits and try to train people the soonest possible. But not to the point of training teenagers. The youngest I have seen is around 15-16 ingame, which means if we take into consideration the years of training, it would mean that they started at what ? 12-13 ? Without even counting a more standard training before ?

But teenagers, not a big fan of it, for all the reasons already expressed above.

Worth noting in the new canon to be coming™, all Capsuleers are cloned before leaving school. Ergo, no more first pod = original body shenanigans.

Ok, but what do they do with the original body ? They give it to uncle Sansha ?  :p
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 05:29 by Lyn Farel »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:07 »

Ghost still has his original body, for instance, so.

You've never been podded? o.O

As for the topic, GoGo was very young when she was made into a capsuleer and while the idea of the "first introductory podding" didn't exist at the time, I like it so much that I'm definitely incorporating it into her backstory.

Now, what exactly constitutes "very young" for me? 19-21 perhaps. So, that was 7 years ago and she has had that many years to accumulate new experiences, has experienced death several times, but her body hasn't changed (naturally) much at all. Not exactly a normal just under 30 year old then. Take that you anti post-humanists!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:05 »

I have always felt how the existence of jump clones made an odd situation of you living your life outside of the body you were born with.

Jowen has been podded once, but he was in his jump clone without the expensive implants, so technically he is still in his real "self".

Myyona has never been podded (though having spend hours harvesting gas in low sec) but it is an essential part of her persona that she is living in a jump clone body while the original one is stored in a medical facility.

The ages of my characters wary a lot. I also have to add the time since they became active pilots (have been playing EVE too long). I am thinking Myyona and Jowen around my own age (late twenties, early thirdies), while I try to portrait Natelia as very young (early twenties) and still having some of the teenage traits such as naivety, egocentric behavior and fascination of pop culture. Sviw is an older lady (in her fifties) with a calm but also cold and calculating attitude. I had troubles making her appearance as Deitis female as old as I wanted.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:58 »

Might be worth noting that, over the centuries, the age of majority has gone up, not down. No more preteen midshipmen in imperial navies, or preteen university students.

The "traditional" subcultures found amongst all four factions will not tolerate children trying to be more mature than they are. Even in the Federation, I imagine that enough conservative pressure is applied on the government to never let the age of recruitment into the military drop any lower than 16-18. The Gallenteans have "high moral standards" when it comes to institutional affairs, never mind what they might do in their social lives.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 08:01 by Seriphyn »

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:02 »

And not to mention, that's the starting age. This dips into the training discussion, but I imagine piloting a starship probably takes a few years.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:52 »

Yeah, the main reason I was curious is because, as HCJ said, some of the characters go waaay below what I find believable. Not saying they're wrong, ofc., but for immersion's sake I find it better to quietly look the other way and not play along there -- especially with what HCJ said about said characters often being (IMO) excessively naive, silly, or what have you.

FWIW, the New Canon To Come is something that's changed since the capsule was released -- the original body wasn't destroyed in capsuleer training until very recently.

Yeah, this. (including the lack of urdoinitwrong)   Gottii is in his mid-40s, which seemed youngish for a captain and gave me a decent amount of pre-capsuleer life span to work on his history.

For me its just hard to get my brain around the idea of finding and screening a 12 -16 yr old girl or boy and start training them to control an intergalatic warship.  I mean, a lot of your screening criteria would be hard to use.  Physically, still growing.   Intelligence wise, the same.  Psychologically, it would be flat out impossible to gauge a candidate's tendencies at that point, because they're very much in flux.  (would explain why capsuleers grow up thinking they're just spaceships thought, they never had a chance to actually live as a person)

Also, it kinda gimps a character's backstory a bit.  Almost their entire life would be spent as a capsuleer, and being that young when they get taken into the program would mean that they lack a history, or at least it limits the available options.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2011, 14:30 »

In Matari culture adulthood comes with the rite of passage of the Voluval ceremony. I've played that in my clan this commonly occurs for batches of candidates who are roughly 13-15. If it's going to affect the course of your life and training, I think that -- by preference -- it has to happen early enough to have an impact. In my Sebiestor clan that's as much about keeping studying maths and genetics, or about being introduced to all the important people in the neighbouring and associated clans, as it is about physical growth and prowess. I'm fairly sure I've heard of other clans which usually do the Voluval later, and many of the Returned might not have it until much later. It's a big cluster and I'm sure there's variety.

That's different to implant work, though. I do get twitchy about the idea of applying the amount of work that seems to have gone into our spines alone to people while they're still physically growing, but the new pod-training regime means there's no need to do such work on a "natural" growing body: when you transfer the candidate's consciousness to a meat-puppet, you can ensure that the meat-puppet is at whatever size is appropriate and doesn't grow after that. It's quite elegant and has some intriguing edge-case possibilities: the perpetual 12-year-old who never grows physically unless they have a new clone made, and the "Big" kid-suddenly-in-an-adult's body.

Side notes:

- I've long played that the combination of factors which make people able to endure the pod is rare enough that places will train even the weirdest candidates. It's hard to imagine why some of us became podders otherwise. :)

- It sounds like Mata's at the young end of the spectrum: untimely ripped from her previous vocational training to be put through pod stuff, then graduating at 19 thinking she was an old woman because she hadn't had her first child when the others in her cohort did. I enjoy the various clashes of expectations.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2011, 15:37 »

Actually, Gallenteans finding the Minmatar concept of adulthood via the Voluval at teenage years might be another thing they find morally reprehensible.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2011, 16:09 »

Man, I wish. No, I've been podded somewhere in the area of less than 20 times. For the sake of Ghost's story, however, his original body is somewhere™. Actually, I'm pretty sure my father's character might have the first cloned body I dropped in the game still. Or maybe that was my highest bounty clone of a couple hundred mill before he murdered me for his money back...
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3