Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider recruits are trained in close-quarters combat before tactics and starship combat? (The Burning Life, p. 54)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Roden Administration  (Read 8847 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: The Roden Administration
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jun 2011, 11:12 »

The president of the Federation is the most powerful individual in New Eden just as much as the president of United States is the leader of free world.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jun 2011, 11:16 »

Well, no, it outrightly says that "The President is the head of the executive branch of the Federal government. In many respects he is the most powerful individual in New Eden".

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:24 »

Well, no, it outrightly says that "The President is the head of the executive branch of the Federal government. In many respects he is the most powerful individual in New Eden".

The difference is, in new eden, the two single most powerful nations is the Gallente Federation and the Amarrian Empire. Sadly for Empress Jamyl, she can order alot of stuff done in her nation, but as we all know the chain of command goes down to the heirs etc. Ergo, while she can do nerly anything in if in person, any demand for anyone further dwon is pretty much up to them how to obey, so long as they do.

In the Fed, the president has direct infuencial and effective control over far more, being able to enact changes far more fluently, thus in theory making him a 'more powerful' single person. Ofc, he too have issues to deal with, and I've not gone over this enough to directly list any and all issues the President/Empress may or may have in regard to their power-projecting abilities.

I'll leave that for more geeky people than me to deal with *cough*Seri*cought*
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 16:46 by BloodBird »

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:25 »

In my mind Roden is just a pawn. He is shrewd and good at business, but has little political experience, and was placed in power mainly because he was a suitable person; someone who can unify the Federation. He is probably not even aware of everything that has taken place behind the scenes.

According to Paths They Chose, Foiritan appealed to the power-hungry Mentas Blaque and allowed him to be the head of the senate and the director of FIO at the same time in exchange of support for his plan to counter Heth's incursion to Luminaire.

Roden and his shipyards were already aligned with the Nationalists, so all the three major parties were behind him even before the arms industry nationalization episode, which made Roden to run for office and allowed Foiritan to focus on other things. Further support for this comes from the fact that the Senate passed the disenfranchisement bill almost unanimously to make sure that he wins.

After his resignation, Foiritan went to Intaki to use his connections to put together a massive anti-Heth coalition. Now, the Federation is armed to teeth and probably has additional support from Ishukone and Intaki Syndicate. What happens next, no one knows.

I would guess that Roden will be the saviour in the eyes of the people, but that in reality he is just one piece in a greater scheme.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 13:29 by Ammentio Oinkelmar »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:33 »

That's very interesting... if that info proves accurate it speaks volumes about the percentage of the Intaki population that actually wants to separate; after all, there can't be to many of them (IIRC PF speaks of 'less than 5%' of the pop. but even that is quite many in a planet with billions) if the former Federation president can organize an anti-Heth movement on a planet known to have produced alot of pro-Caldari in the past. That however, was another age ago, and it seems times change. Definitly shows the results of forvefully annexing a planet's space, tends to colour one's perceptions a tad.

If only in-game news still existed, we could see alot of hot devopment in this regard; polarizing the pro/anti Fed camps, stirring up things with the Caldari and thier shamblign exonomy after thier failings, Minmatar reaction to the non-existance of the tribal council, and so on and so forth. I hope CCP's plans to have the in-game news replaced comes together soon, things would be alot more entertaining with the re-emerging of a living universe. But then, we all knew that.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:48 »

Funny, I always think of Roden as the Chessmaster who revealed himself rather than the Pawn.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2011, 14:20 »

I'd assume that getting the Intaki Syndicate to support the Federation would be somewhere close in likelihood to the Republic and Orthodox Ammatar forming an alliance. For reference, the Syndicate independent-city-state-space-station model was born because the Fed exiled them into lawless space and forbade them to settle on planets - so they had to settle on orbitals, instead. On the contrary, there is at least one mission where the State is allied with a local Syndicate gang/fleet/whatever - the Caldari are concerned about the Fed once again trying to build a secret stargate in the State, and the Syndicate folks are concerned because the Fed fleet came over for a visit and shot them in the face. As an end result, a State/Syndicate force makes a feint attack on the Gallente, allowing the player to slip by and blow up the stargate (and damn, those things have HP, specially when you're doing the shooting in a frigate).

Also, the chronicles about Roden playing a few moves ahead of his ministers and a few more moves ahead of Heth don't really give the image of him as just a figurehead.

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun 2011, 16:04 »

I'd assume that getting the Intaki Syndicate to support the Federation would be somewhere close in likelihood to the Republic and Orthodox Ammatar forming an alliance. For reference, the Syndicate independent-city-state-space-station model was born because the Fed exiled them into lawless space and forbade them to settle on planets - so they had to settle on orbitals, instead. On the contrary, there is at least one mission where the State is allied with a local Syndicate gang/fleet/whatever - the Caldari are concerned about the Fed once again trying to build a secret stargate in the State, and the Syndicate folks are concerned because the Fed fleet came over for a visit and shot them in the face. As an end result, a State/Syndicate force makes a feint attack on the Gallente, allowing the player to slip by and blow up the stargate (and damn, those things have HP, specially when you're doing the shooting in a frigate).

Also, the chronicles about Roden playing a few moves ahead of his ministers and a few more moves ahead of Heth don't really give the image of him as just a figurehead.
One can argue in favor of the Foiritan/Syndicate co-operation as follows:

-Foiritan is an Intaki, as most of the directors of the Federal NPC organizations, and like Mourmarie Mone says during the Intaki Chase mission, "You know what the Intaki are like – one big mess of criminals. I don't believe the lies they tell us in the media: All Intaki are a part of the Syndicate, directly or not. If it were up to me, I'd lock all the Intaki up for good, or maybe just send them all back to their cesspool of a home planet."

-Mentas Blaque
doesn't think that politicians co-operating with criminals is as far-fetched as the Republic collaborating with orthodox Amarrians. Of course, he is a biased source, like Mourmarie, but that doesn't mean he cannot be correct.

-Heth's Leviathan entered Luminaire during Foiritan's term, and it's plausible that he took it quite personally. It was his biggest failure, something he might want to correct with any means available.

-All of this collaboration is strictly behind the scenes, like one could expect, and a mission where a Syndicate gang is worried about a Fed fleet does not prove much one way or the other. The regular pilots probably wouldn't know much about high-level secret deals.

However, in Blind Auction the Syndicate doesn't seem to be present, at least not under that name, and I agree that this is an indication against their participation in the anti-Heth coalition.

There's no doubt that Roden is always portrayed as a cunning and well-connected business genius, but these qualities do not directly translate into political experience, since it's a completely different world. However, like the previous president, he also has strong ties to the criminal world, and he does seem to be of the type that doesn't like Titans near their capital worlds. I wouldn't really have a problem if Roden, or Silphy, turned out to be the mastermind behind all these developments but for the time being, my vote goes to Foiritan.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2011, 14:10 by Ammentio Oinkelmar »

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2011, 01:55 »

Well, I believe that having the Syndicate allied on any side would be a simplification. They would be, mostly, on their own side, and that as long as Silphy can keep the stations in line. As for their military power, they are rich (from "honourable business"), but lack resources. Their stations don't get stomped by pirates, but it's still a far cry from being an empire.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jun 2011, 04:45 »

Funny, I always think of Roden as the Chessmaster who revealed himself rather than the Pawn.
In chess, the King is one of the weakest pieces...

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2011, 05:48 »

In chess, the King is one of the weakest pieces...

Quote from: Also Lex Luthor, apparently
President? Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be President?

Which makes the move a strange one for Roden in some respects.  He probably could have put any proxy he wished in the seat, but took it himself.  But maybe EVE =/= chess.  :twisted:

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jun 2011, 06:14 »

-Foiritan is an Intaki, as most of the directors of the Federal NPC organizations, and like Mourmarie Mone says during the Intaki Chase mission, "You know what the Intaki are like – one big mess of criminals. I don't believe the lies they tell us in the media: All Intaki are a part of the Syndicate, directly or not. If it were up to me, I'd lock all the Intaki up for good, or maybe just send them all back to their cesspool of a home planet."

Never seen that quote. Love it.

Foiritan - Syndicate cooperation is a given. The Syndicate used to be listed as the President corp's partner. They're in bed together, but what that means in regards to possibly opposing the Caldari is another thing.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jun 2011, 07:32 »

That's a hella handy quote to have on hand. :D
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #28 on: 07 Jun 2011, 08:20 »

I'm pretty sure the opinion of one individual out of several trillion does not account for the entire domestic policy in the Federation, seeing that the Intaki control said domestic policy.

That aside, I interpreted it as racism from the FIO towards the Intaki, as they would be prejudiced to be the largest security risk.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jun 2011, 09:11 »

That's a hella handy quote to have on hand. :D

Yes, it's definitely going into my bio.  :bear:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4