Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the cocktail "Wild Rose" is created by Vincent Pryce and it is named after Ciarente Roth?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hangars and vacuums  (Read 6544 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Hangars and vacuums
« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:34 »

I'm giving up for now. Often the answers to these kinds of questions tend to be of the sort which no one could have expected in advance.

Mmm. I'm currently thinking that the input data needs some rectifying.

(I assume that it's actually a series of continuity glitches, but I do like to see if I can link those together to make something that works.)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2011, 08:07 »

Disclaimer: I do not have a Ph.D in chemistry, physics, or anything of the like.

With that said - volatile substances are only volatile when there is potential for a reaction to occur. Once a reaction has occured, or the potential otherwise removed, the substances are no longer volatile and are quite stable.

This is the reason Chlorine can be a poison gas used in warfare (unreacted, volatile elemental state) and food staple in the human diet (in the reacted, molecular form of Sodium Chloride). There really isn't a reason why ships wouldn't be coated in a layer of pre-reacted tritanium or something considerably less reactive than elemental tritanium to prevent explosions while in dock. Of course, ship damage would have to covered up before you dock, but given that nanites seem to be common as dirt in the EVE universe, it wouldn't surprise me if processes similar to armor- or hull-repair processes could be used to "paper over" the damage until a more permanent fix can be arranged.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2011, 12:14 »

well technically aluminium in its raw form is toxic and highly reactive, but a thin layer of aluminium oxide forms on the outside of it making it safe to handle and stable. A similar process might occur with Tritanium.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #33 on: 21 Apr 2011, 20:26 »

Some common explosives seem to be monoclinic crystals and I guess it's not completely out of question that they might become more stable with a silicon oxide mixer. Here again the curious prefix "tri" makes an appearance.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2011, 14:06 »

well... in TEA, during the elder assault on the ammarian empire, they describe a station, specifically that the hangar is 'open to space' or some exceedingly simillar term..

the basic description says that ships dock up and airlocks deploy from the walls to ensure safe passage for crew & stuff...

As for we capsuleers... we don't technically undock at the same place, our pods are removed from the ship when we wish to leave and taken to the 'pod gantry'.

i figure it is from there that we would get an internal shuttle or some such item from the hangar to our own quarters.

KillJoy Tseng

• Some minmatar guy
  • Clonejack
« Reply #35 on: 04 May 2011, 07:23 »

Speaking as an engineer, with some background in metallurgy and materials science...

Screw Tritanium.  The properties listed for it are contradictory, and written by someone who did not have any background in materials science.  I hope to hell someone retcons that at some point.  Either that, or maybe a new weapon for Gallente ships so they deal massive damage in close... air-cannons.

Amann Karris

« Reply #36 on: 04 May 2011, 08:06 »

EVE needs more hard science in it's science fiction and less Trek science.

Case in point: Tritanium vs. Tritanium.  See any similarities?

'Nuff said.

Oh, and don't even get me started on "Impulse Engines".   :bash:

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #37 on: 04 May 2011, 08:34 »

Speaking as an engineer, with some background in metallurgy and materials science...

Screw Tritanium.  The properties listed for it are contradictory, and written by someone who did not have any background in materials science.  I hope to hell someone retcons that at some point.  Either that, or maybe a new weapon for Gallente ships so they deal massive damage in close... air-cannons.
The original descriptions of the New Eden minerals seem to be based on RL mineralogical references and this makes me believe that original instability of tritanium must have been some kind of martensitic transformation between two slightly different the crystal structures. Many metals have these transformations and it would kind of make sense that this phase with uber-properties takes a long time to form, is only stable under low temperature and pressure and therefore it might be economically more sensible to mine it directly from the asteroid belts, rather than mix it up in a factory, and be mainly used to build up structures in space.

Later, some other writer probably spotted this unexplained stability problem and thought that wouldn't it be funny if all the ships were actually made out of inherently explosive stuff and came up with these spoke bombs. As this has far-reaching consequences which are hard to explain and severely restrict the utility of material, it's curious why and how the writing team could ever agree to take it in this direction? It's true that everything that tritanium is now, seems quite contradictory and even cumbersome.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2011, 14:57 by Ammentio Oinkelmar »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #38 on: 04 May 2011, 10:03 »

Its funny, look at something as simple as the raw construction material used in ships, and you unfold this whole ridiculous layer of inconsistency. its no wonder the more complex plot points don't sink up. CCP can't even manage to make their rocks make sense.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 04 May 2011, 10:28 »

Oh, and don't even get me started on "Impulse Engines".   :bash:
Don't get me started on "Subspace comms."  :bash:

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #40 on: 05 May 2011, 06:47 »

another TEA reference found...

When the 'Retford' is docked at lorado (sp?) station and has to undock in a hurry, Jonas forgets to un-seal the airlock, and tears a section of the hangar interior from the wall, along with the airlock he was attached to.

the next line describes unfortunate people being sucked out into the cold vacuum of space...

so i guess hangars are very much open...

as i mentioned earlier, i figure the debarkation point for the pod gantry is on the other hand held behind either a mag-con flield, or some form of uber airlock.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #41 on: 06 May 2011, 12:53 »

From the "Did You Know?" that's at the top of the page as I read this thread:
debris from starship combat near planets sometimes survives re-entry, as when a relay station on Yong III was destroyed by debris after a fierce fight in low orbit on 27.08YC105.
And then, Tovil-Toba's carrier broke apart into three big sections over Luminaire and crashed into the ground; it didn't become an instant firecracker in the sky from exposure to atmosphere and extreme heat.

And... I really have no point other than mentioning some of the bigger inconsistencies on CCP's part about the matter. <.<
Will work for pretty sig.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #42 on: 06 May 2011, 13:06 »

This is what happens when you let liberal arts majors try to extrapolate science.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #43 on: 06 May 2011, 13:40 »

This is what happens when you let liberal arts majors try to extrapolate science.
As a former cultural anthropology major, I resemble that remark.

Oh. And, I should add the part of the Elder Fleet that Jamyl kerboomed to my list. If I remember correctly, the ISD news reports only mentioned concerns about the radioactivity of the parts raining down on Mekhios (and the possibility of a piece landing on someone); they never touched on the possibility of the massive amounts of trit being a huge timebomb. But, I guess CCP could just say lolISD about that.
Will work for pretty sig.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #44 on: 06 May 2011, 13:46 »

I guess that one way around that would be to say that it's not a reaction comparable to, say, an alkali metal and water but more a slow degradation of tensile strength or something.

Even so, the description is vague as all hell; 'atmospheric temperatures' could be any selection of a wide, wide range of values depending on the atmosphere in question. Earth against Venus, for example.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4