Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The command division of the Angel Cartel is called the Dominations.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Drones, androids and "other automated systems"  (Read 12536 times)

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
Re: Drones, androids and "other automated systems"
« Reply #45 on: 10 Mar 2011, 16:06 »

Given how the setting of EVE is, the cluster is doomed if a seed AI is born. Not even Skynet in the Terminator movies (which is the closest example I can think of that people will recognize) was capable of rewriting itself at will; it was only a strong AI. Something able to become faster, smarter, and then using that to improve itself exponentially again and again would be alien in every sense of the word within minutes of, "I think, therefore I am." All you can do then is hope and pray it stays something you can consider friendly or has no way to affect the world around it, but this is EVE; how often does that happen?

hmmm... while i see where you are going with this, i don't think that such philosophical debate such as 'i think, therefore i am,' would be something an AI, even a fully fledged intelligence, would truly consider... though it may debate that the true syntax should be 'i am, therefore i think.'

Or merely, 'I Am. this is evident by my ability to state this fact.'

that said, after uploading his mind into a machine, the CEO of Zainou is technically now a form of AI, (or perhaps DI (Digitised Intelligence)), supposedly simillar to the sleepers, if they truly are merely playing a glorified flight sim... lol. I guess he and the sleepers would be able to consider philosophical debate.

Here's a worry... Zainou's CEO is now in a machine, probably linked to every Zainou Corp mainframe and comms relay in the cluster.... what if he goes all crazy and happened to put nano-trancievers into every Zainou implant.... AAAAAHHHH another sansha... :P

'teh cluster, she be screwed.' - Anon

just some thoughts really...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #46 on: 10 Mar 2011, 16:26 »

I have reached the conclusion that if there was space-based drones, there is equally the scope for land-based drones too. What would be so different in basic algorithms and protocol?

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #47 on: 10 Mar 2011, 16:46 »

Zainou Corp's CEO could be labeled as cyborg being as they were a human turned machine.
The whole area of 'AI turned to monster because it was too damned intelligent' could be the reason advanced AI are banned by CONCORD.
I'm pretty sure there are land-based AI, why should it be a space-specific tech when a lot of resources & tech are shared between on-world & off-world people at any rate?

Kohiko; you're forgetting The Matrix which was started by an AI that got too powerful for control.

Really, I don't know how anyone can complain about EVE having androids/drones because of combat drones and AIMEDs.
I have reached the conclusion that if there was space-based drones, there is equally the scope for land-based drones too. What would be so different in basic algorithms and protocol?
No, not at all; the tech would only differ in the fact that they'll have propulsion methods suited for the terrain. Moar legs, wheels, tracks, jelliwopter blades, wings... That sort of thing.
Electronics in spaec and electronics on a planet wont be any different, neither will the CPU. Unless they use more or fewer bio components between the different areas.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 10 Mar 2011, 16:50 »

I'll start by saying that drone AI in EVE is a game AI, not an actual combat AI. As such, it displays several traits which are clearly identifyable as balance-oriented game mechanics and not desirable combat traits (for instance, instead of circling in, drones simply charge straight towards targets. Any interceptor pilot can tell you that's a suicidal move). As such, it's hard for me to judge how widely things would actually change, as our drones have no sense of things like the battlefield environment (debris, gas/dust fields, asteroids...) or the ability to identify a target and select a best method to engage that target - things that would heavily change in a planetside-oriented program.

The underlieing theories (threat identification, navigation, self-management of fuel, ammunition, and diagnostics), though, would likely be largely the same... i.e., combat-related navigation would still be (in its most fundamental state), something akin to "approach target, activate weapon, compensate for weapon recoil (if any), begin simplistic evasive maneuvers while following targets".
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #49 on: 10 Mar 2011, 17:16 »

Thing to remember would be that game AI and the actual AI of the drones in RP would be totally different.
Look at the squids in The Matrix, they bounce around as they approach. Doing that in space would be far easier, and I doubt that they'd settle for a purely circular orbit. The rogue drones would learn about previous battles & tactics from the hive mind.
If CCP could program such an advanced AI, I'm sure they'll leave the internet spaceships business and go into military contracting.
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #50 on: 10 Mar 2011, 17:26 »

Well, yes, I know it would be designed completely different, I'm just thinking that there easily can be "walker drones" like the linked pic in the OP, which some of us debated as unlikely.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #51 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:37 »

hmmm... while i see where you are going with this, i don't think that such philosophical debate such as 'i think, therefore i am,' would be something an AI, even a fully fledged intelligence, would truly consider... though it may debate that the true syntax should be 'i am, therefore i think.'

Or merely, 'I Am. this is evident by my ability to state this fact.'
I used that old philosophical trope to mean when it becomes self-aware. I'm sorry if I made it sound like one of those goofy Hollywood AIs that always asks what is god or something just as inane to show the audience that robots are people too. That cliche of the genre drives me batty. I'm looking at you, Cylons! "What is god? Let's have sex. What is god? Let's have sex." /headdesk

Look at the squids in The Matrix, they bounce around as they approach.
As a funny and off topic side note, when I played Matrix Online there were arcade video games called "Sentinel" in stores all over the city. I always laughed at the idea that some blue pill would play them thinking it was a game, but they might actually be controlling a Sentinel attacking the humans in the real world before the peace. It's a good way to make use of those meat computers in the batteries' heads.
Will work for pretty sig.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:45 »

Also there are indications that Aura is almost sentient.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #53 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:35 »

I'm not gonna make a big deal of it, but I find it really funny that people are giving this topic this much probability. I still remember getting chewed out for my ships being crewed by machines, and having people bother me about it until I changed it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #54 on: 11 Mar 2011, 15:55 »

well, there are police and security drones mentioned in TEA, atmospheric military drones deployed during the invasions by heth and the elders, and even marcus jror had assistant and security drones inside his ship... they got between him and that gord fellow...

so i would think that walker or hover drones are in canon. just not used in a hugely widespread manner.

just remembered, due to the post below, when the broker was sabotaging tripwire, he had an engineering drone with him.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2011, 16:21 by Rok-Yuni »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #55 on: 11 Mar 2011, 16:04 »

Small hover drones are mentioned in at least one Chronicle in terms of helping techs and engineers and such as well.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #56 on: 12 Mar 2011, 13:20 »

Small hover drones are mentioned in at least one Chronicle in terms of helping techs and engineers and such as well.
Also in TBL, but I can't be bothered to ride 30km just to browse through the book and say which page.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 12 Mar 2011, 14:20 »

The mission "New Frontiers" involves a plot involving an AI scientist.

[spoiler]After studying the Rogue Drones, he fuses himself with an AI. Also using molecular-level nanites that can remake his new battleship "body" as long as the AI core / CPU / enough nanites survive.[/spoiler]

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #58 on: 12 Mar 2011, 15:31 »

Ooooh. More of that!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]