Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mindflood, a sedative booster, is taken by pouring liquid from a vial onto a cloth, placing it over one's mouth, and inhaling the fumes? (The Burning Life p 38)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Uplifted  (Read 8783 times)

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
Re: [Chronicle] Uplifted
« Reply #45 on: 21 Dec 2010, 22:56 »

Okay, so I loved the Chron in terms of what it is... letting us know OOC what is going on, and how the Sansha are pulling their shenanigans. As well as the way it shows the Nation for exactly what they are.

However, and this is the frustrating part, I am absolutely irate for the exact same reasons. IC there's no evidence of what's causing people to walk to the "pickup zones", even after extensive research of the incursion sites there's nothing that has been picked up to indicate nanite clouds controlling people's motor functions, no signs of drugs in the water, no signs of propaganda-esque material laying around to convince them, no signs of anything except missing people. And unfortunately, because of this amazingly written chron, people will have sudden "EUREKA!" moments figuring this information out without a feasible source for the information.

It boils down to the IC/OOC information divide and how people are going to approach it. IC, Inara doesn't know this, and won't unless there's a reliable source of intel IC that comes about. Which is frustrating, because if they happen to hit a certain planet... it would be really nice if she was aware of this, and could be prepared (or working on preparations) for the eventuality. OOC, I'm now aware of how it happens and think it's rather ingenious (while being evil and twisted), and could think of several "solutions" to the problem.

Do not try to RP Sansha Your Faction (or lack of Faction) of Choice as good guys using your OOG/OOC morality, or the general, accepted moral code on the Internet. It will NOT work.

*snip*

It is roleplaying after all. IC, you RP them as the good guys, but OOC you are aware of these pitfalls.

Edit/emphasis mine, because I think it's something that needs to be remembered and applied to everyone. I have a character who is an Empire Loyalist, when I'm on that one... the Empire is right, God and the Empress' will must be carried out, etc. OOC, I know the Empire has quite a few problems that need to be looked into. On Inara, the Cartel is the ideal society, taking the best of the cluster and improving on it to make Heaven even greater than the "Big 4" combined. OOC, I could tell you a dozen things they do to achieve their goals that would curl your nosehair (but I won't, simply due to many people not being able to separate IC/OOC information).

Summary: I love information about EVE, and hope it never stops coming. But, I hate information about EVE that is useful but unobtainable via reasonable IC measures that will be dragged into the IC realm by people who don't have the same views of reasonable attainability.

Oh, and the Chron was great.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #46 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:22 »

How I would know (some) stuff IC.

Louella has been at several incursions. Louella threw some mines out, and mentioned this to the Navy + CONCORD dudes that were present. These mines would have interfered with and/or damaged some of the returning dropships.

Chronicle mentions "Stray weapons fire from both sides caused more than a few of them to explode, get knocked hopelessly off course, or suffer hull breaches, sending thousands of paralyzed humans spiraling out into space."

After-action salvage + retrieval by the Navy/CONCORD/private corporations would find some of these crippled dropships or wrecks thereof, and the bodies of the unfortunate.

Post-Mortem examination and analysis would (erroneously) suggest the nanites act as a paralysing agent, allowing the people to be manhandled (or true-slavehandled) onto the dropships easily. Or as a thing for causing relaxation during the extreme accelerations involved in space travel - tensed bodies get injured more often than relaxed ones, that sort of thing. No indications/evidence of Teh Horror!!, unless survivors on an intact ship are found.

Lou would hear some of this from gossip and/or trade magazines related to "Rescuing People From Space" - of which some npc corporations exist, as mentioned in a previous chronicle - "Lost Stars".

The rest of it, I don't see how I would know about it.

I could write something on IGS if people want.
\o/

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #47 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:23 »

When haeldone gave the briefing about how the communications of a system went down, I joked about how much it was like the horizon mission briefing.

And yep. there we go.

So, Ze'ev?  Make with the creation of a Seeker swarm Sansha bug antidote.

The cure will be worse than the disease, I can tell you that right now. Besides, I've got my hands full with Kyonoke.
Do you have any I could borrow? Always wanted some Kyonoke.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:09 »

Get away for the Kyonoke Istvaan. You've been obsessed with the stuff for months. D:

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #49 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:59 »

Do not try to RP Sansha as good guys using your OOG/OOC morality, or the general, accepted moral code on the Internet. It will NOT work.

Instead, you have to adopt a Citizen Astur "extreme means to an end" approach. Nation ARE the good guys, but only if you adopt that morality, and don't try to use your OOC sensibilities. Jia-Lei Lian RPs as such; they're not actually that crazy IRL I imagine :P

It is roleplaying after all. IC, you RP them as the good guys, but OOC you are aware of these pitfalls.

I concur.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy that people are choosing to play Sansha loyalists and/or stooges. I think that it should be easier for them to express that properly.

However this is an OOC conversation and OOC there is no upside to the Sansha.

Most of the other human factions can be shown to be sympathetic in one way or another. The Sansha are tools of a madman that would put the average Bond villian to shame. Somehow I doubt life inside the faction has any of the moments of love and humanity that even the Blooders are shown to be capable of (in The Burning Life).

I am getting a little tired of the "your RP is wrong" and the "this is OOC, dont try justify yourself here" crowd.

^^ Not intending to point to anyone in particular, because thats certainly not all of them.

EDITED TO ADD: Comments like these are the reasons I stay out of any Sansha RP with anyone, even though my character is a Sansha loyalist living in Stain who should have some interest in whats been going on.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 12:03 by Graanvlokkie »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #50 on: 22 Dec 2010, 16:32 »

How could capsuleers know about this stuff?

By now victims must have been recovered and analysed. Unless the nanites self-destruct on the death of the host their presence is now known about by governments. Even if they normally do self destructs have been known to malfunction.

Civillian suveillance networks would probably be knocked out by the initial EMP burst and/or compromised by Sansha cracking. However who is to say an intelligence agency hasn't thought to leave a hardened, autonomous recorder around to see people walking out into the tractor beams, and capture the agonised expressions as they do so.

Anyone with decent government, military, intelligence or media connections could therefore have heard about this information. Yes, governments might try to keep this quiet to prevent more panic but that can't work forever. Stuff like this would leak eventually.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #51 on: 22 Dec 2010, 16:41 »

Especially to capsuleers that work heavily with intelligence and security services... Hmm.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2010, 16:45 »

I concur.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy that people are choosing to play Sansha loyalists and/or stooges. I think that it should be easier for them to express that properly.

However this is an OOC conversation and OOC there is no upside to the Sansha.

Most of the other human factions can be shown to be sympathetic in one way or another. The Sansha are tools of a madman that would put the average Bond villian to shame. Somehow I doubt life inside the faction has any of the moments of love and humanity that even the Blooders are shown to be capable of (in The Burning Life).

I am getting a little tired of the "your RP is wrong" and the "this is OOC, dont try justify yourself here" crowd.

^^ Not intending to point to anyone in particular, because thats certainly not all of them.

EDITED TO ADD: Comments like these are the reasons I stay out of any Sansha RP with anyone, even though my character is a Sansha loyalist living in Stain who should have some interest in whats been going on.

OK. I'm confused. Comments like these put you off Sansha RP but you aren't pointing at anyone.

And how, exactly is this "your RP is wrong"? I'm just stating an opinion about a bunch of NPC's based on my reading of what CCP has published about them. How does this invalidate your RP?

If you think I'm wrong then by all means try to convince me otherwise. It's only a game after all. I won't mind.

You could, for example, point me at this:http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=1533.0
I'm not sure PF makes this likely but I could see the argument.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 17:19 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #53 on: 22 Dec 2010, 18:22 »

It's not a case of "Your RP is wrong".

For example, public execution is commonplace in the Federation apparently. Seriphyn would have grown up as a Gallentean with this in mind, and thus he doesn't see anything wrong with it. IRL, I am opposed to execution, and think public execution is deplorable. The same way I would OOG disagree with the sometimes aggressive, abrasive and immature behaviour of Seriphyn, but still RP it.

There is just nothing redeeming, from an OOC moral perspective, about sending nanite swarms down to planets, kidnapping millions to turn them into unwilling slaves with their mind screaming for escape. However, this doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't RP it. We're capsuleers and murder in the hundreds each day. You just simply adopt an attitude for your character; fictionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with believing that a post-human state like Sansha's Nation that brings a complete end to conflict and strife is the best solution. The True Slaves is simply the price you have to pay for peace and complete unity amongst humanity.

Same way that, if people opt to sympathize with Seriphyn and study his character, he's a big emotional coward, and would not do half the things he has done OOC.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]