Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Amarr Conservatives?  (Read 8439 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
Re: Amarr Conservatives?
« Reply #45 on: 27 Jun 2011, 13:01 »

I'm not sure about 'reclaiming'.

Perhaps 'judgement by fire' would be more accurate?

I can accept that, or maybe, "baptism by fire"?

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 27 Jun 2011, 14:09 »

What exactly constitutes an Amarrian conservative to most people anyway? I think we need to define that before we can answer the original question as to why there aren't so many of them anymore.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2011, 15:24 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Odelya

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jun 2011, 16:56 »

What exactly constitutes an Amarrian conservative to most people anyway? I think we need to define that before we can answer the original question as to why there aren't so many of them anymore.
I would say that “the Amarrian conservative” is an empty signifier with a variety of meanings. Likewise “tradition” is always socially constructed and a fluid concept. Just take a look at various independent Catholic groups, like the Old Catholic Church or Sedevacantism for example. They all think they’re right and base their arguments on what they call “tradition”.

Let’s just imagine the history of Amarr is this line here:
——————————————> [today]
Every pixel represents thousands of years and within this years thousands of cultural products etc. etc. can be found. It would be impossible for every human or institution to know or even to reference them. This natural limitation is also responsible for infinite variety of reference. And now some/one of this varieties of reference is deemed “tradition”:
——(x)————x————x—x—>
But this could also change to:
—xx—(x)————x——————>

Conclusion: This can only be an IC debate!

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #48 on: 28 Jun 2011, 03:46 »

Simply, an Amarrian conservative is someone who supports the status quo in the Empire.

That means that a conservative is someone who upholds the traditions of the Empire, knows his place in the heirarchy and is suspicious of both outsiders with their foreign ways and insiders who seek reform.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #49 on: 28 Jun 2011, 06:03 »

The word conservative would insinuate a regressive or static view on development.
Not necessarily.  American Conservatives, in the civic and economic arenas, are conserving liberalism from a world history point of view.  Besides military dictatorships, conservatives tend to thrive in places where established institutions have made their society great.  Thus, they are worth upholding and worth fighting for.     
Hence conservatives would be for slavery and for militant reclaiming.
But with the Amarr, that seems to the best quick summation.
My view is mainly based on the fact that no-one in the Amarr canon has ever made any sacrifices for their Faith (the entertainer in Abraxases fanfic does not count) therefore no Amarrian roleplayer is encouraged to do the same, hence no Amarrian roleplayer does it, hence we have all these wishy washy OOC bleedout cardboard cutout Amarrians that huggle anybody because they want to be liked.
My view is that everyone fancies themselves to be the high elf in the discussion and must act accordingly. :D
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2011, 06:06 by Chowda »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]