Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ANN Controvosy Thread Mk II (Now with 98% Less Flame)  (Read 3934 times)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: ANN Controvosy Thread Mk II (Now with 98% Less Flame)
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:38 »

It seems that the ANN announcements thread explodes every time we post an article about the ILF or IRED at the moment.
I am not going to be popular for saying this, but there is an easy solution to this.

EDITed to add a disclaimer: I have zero idea what this drama is about, and zero interest in finding out. I have no idea who is "guilty" and care less. What I do know is that if doing something consistently gives you drama in an interweb spaceship game that you'd rather do without, it is often a clever idea to stop doing it. Regardless of whose fault it is and who started it.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 12:44 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:58 »

I'm not sure if I'm seeing what the issue is here?

If an IC news organization is posting articles IC, then they are free to post whatever they like, for any reason (be it true or completely fabricated for PR reasons) and it's up to our characters to react in whatever way we deem fit. 

How your characters react, and how they deal with things that are written about them, is part of the fun.  Much like most of us don't take Muck Raker stories at face valie, I imagine those being treated poorly in these new articles should just deal with it IC?

Yes?

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2011, 14:04 »

My [Main] Issue was with Levi dropping, which I assumed had something to do with someone pulling strings.
There's IC commenting, then there's just plain trolling. When an article *is* objective and you continue to claim it's bias, it just makes you look extremely daft IC. Not that I'm complaining about that.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 01 Feb 2011, 03:58 »

My [Main] Issue was with Levi dropping, which I assumed had something to do with someone pulling strings.
There's IC commenting, then there's just plain trolling. When an article *is* objective and you continue to claim it's bias, it just makes you look extremely daft IC. Not that I'm complaining about that.

Yet a dozen different errors have been pointed out about the article (IC) by several involved parties.

Posting repeatedly that "it *is* objective" (OOC) just comes across to me as an appeal to the players for sympathy.

So again, lets leave arguing about whether it is or isn't objective to in-character discussions.  Arguing out-of-character about whether an in-character article discussing events that happened in a make-believe setting is accurate or not just seems entirely absurd.

Or, paradoxically: What qualifies as objective is often a subjective matter.  Also, there's a difference between "objective truth" and "objectivity in journalism".

How your characters react, and how they deal with things that are written about them, is part of the fun.  Much like most of us don't take Muck Raker stories at face valie, I imagine those being treated poorly in these new articles should just deal with it IC?

Yes?

This discussion was entirely contained to IC responses until this thread (and its predecessor which was thrown in the catacombs) popped up here.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2011, 04:31 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #19 on: 01 Feb 2011, 05:16 »

Isn't posting repeatedly ICly that it's "bad journalism" and "totally biased" an appeal for player sympathy, by that standard?

I feel like that's one of several possibilities as to why this thread popped up in the first place.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 Feb 2011, 05:59 »

But if its being done ICly then why do it OOC?

Also its not being done for Sympathy, its being done for Defense of Reputation.. in our eyes anyways.

Not to mention stuff to do with Serps and other fun stuff that comes with rattling sabre's ect..

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #21 on: 01 Feb 2011, 06:08 »

Yet a dozen different errors have been pointed out about the article (IC) by several involved parties.

And the majority of them were minor and have been fixed. Also, I don't think that 'chatgris is lying' counts. The author just pasted the original mail up. Whether or not he's lying is really up to the reader to decide.

But if its being done ICly then why do it OOC?

Because given the situation when Levi 'dropped' It felt like someone had pulled OOC strings on something Out of Game for IC gain/spite/whatever. Also some of the IC responses were so rabid, I wondered whether I'd done something OOC to irritate people. Especially given that the article was actually quite objective and broadly speaking, correct.

Also its not being done for Sympathy, its being done for Defense of Reputation.. in our eyes anyways.

Not to mention stuff to do with Serps and other fun stuff that comes with rattling sabre's ect..

Oh Sabre rattling is fine
What bugs me is that it appears that very little thought goes into collaborative posting or corporate consistency in IC terms. For example Marrano is very amusingly clutching at straws (Can you please tell him to try and fit his points into one post) , and Syl And Other ILF members are giving out very different messages (See Article comments thread for that one)

Edit: Quoting Fail
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2011, 06:21 by Milo Caman »

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 01 Feb 2011, 06:39 »

I assume the ILF does not have a unified response against the ANN Articles, I think its more of individualistic views being posted on the Article responses. Could me wrong *shrug*

Informed Marrano last night. (Am working on mah RPers, alot of them are getting used to posting in open forums, instead of yelling For the State in local.)

As for Levi dont know the guy, only responded to some of his report mails 2 or 3 times.. I highly doubt anyone in I-RED knows who he even is.

Again IC is IC when it comes to me, and if my responses seem hurtful blame old fart IC John... If I have problems OOC I will deal with them OOC.. you know like make fun of my Mom and die  :lol:

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #23 on: 01 Feb 2011, 07:15 »

Well, guess as long as everyone is on the same terms OOC, no reason anyone should stop doing their thing.

Do whatcha do.  :D
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #24 on: 01 Feb 2011, 18:15 »

ILF members' responses are not tantamount to an ILF corporate opinion. If ILF leadership is speaking (Saxon, AG, Apollonius, Bataav, Myself), then the ILF is speaking. Otherwise, it's personal opinion. The same goes for most corps and alliances in New Eden.

My problem, IC, with the article, as I said, was the not-very-veiled attacks on the ILF and I-RED. I didn't bother objecting to them, as the IC responses are usually equivalent to: '&^%* off, you whiny bastard.'

Don't take that as a critique, I like it.

But the ILF's IC response to the article is best summed up by Apollonius' response in the article comments.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #25 on: 01 Feb 2011, 18:23 »

Informed Marrano last night. (Am working on mah RPers, alot of them are getting used to posting in open forums, instead of yelling For the State in local.)

Yeah, I-RED don't have many roleplayers who aren't also Intaki spies.  8)
Pages: 1 [2]