Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That some Minmatar pilots have a tradition of gifting Rodj Blake's corpse to newly-weds?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What bothers you about your own roleplay?  (Read 6932 times)

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
Re: What bothers you about your own roleplay?
« Reply #30 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:00 »

1) Being Sansha everyone hates me but I get that its a consequence of my action doesnt change how annoying it can be at times

2) My own lazyness with developing my character, I have loads of good ideas but I rarely pursue them due to time constraints or sheer lazyness  :(

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #31 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:05 »

Second: Biggest thing that bugs me is that I often end up doing multiple things at once (talking in a few channels, running something besides EVE, handling RL stuff...) and as a result my RP is oftentimes slow; anyone who has ever RPed with me can attest that my response time varies between "5 seconds" and "5 minutes". It's something I'd really like to change, but the ability to (and frankly, the actual conditions for) focusing being able to devote my attention to a single RP continues to elude me.

More like 15 and 30 minutes long at times, in all my experiences RPing with you.  :lol: But that's okay, I still come back for more.  :cube:

Lets see, for one, as a fair amount have pointed out, I'm not so great in highly active channels. All the RPs go flying by, and I, too, have trouble keeping up on many a times.  :oops:

With my character, two issues. One, Rin is a rather introverted individual. Her idea of socializing (when she does do so) is often a place she's comfortable with and often being with a person or two she knows decently well (whom she doesn't hate). Happening hip places generally aren't her thing, and if she does happen to be at one, it's because someone dragged her out, much to her dismay.  :P

Second issue would be that Rin has some standards that would certainly make it hard to justify going to certain places and talking to certain people without a good reason. Example, when her boyfriend the other day asked if she wanted to run some Cosmos stuff the other day, she said no soley due to the fact that the other person flying with them for this, is an cold, detached ex pirate.  :ugh:

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:36 »

I usually feel like I don't make realistic characters because EVE is far more grimdark than I'm used to dealing with, which means most of my characters have a level of innocence and/or ignorance that they probably shouldn't have. I try to incorporate that into their motivations and behavior but I'm not sure I do a believable job sometimes.

My suggestion: watch lots of noir. Seriously.

"Blade Runner," "The Maltese Falcon," "Chinatown." (Those are just the first three to come to mind.) An idealistic protagonist (or one who still has some principles in spite of himself) suffering in a world and culture hostile to idealism from its very roots is a staple genre trope. In fact, that theme (or its darker reflection) is a defining trait of the noir/thriller genre: at some point, the protagonist makes a moral choice (to whichever side) and suffers for it.

Hell, "Breaking Bad" fits the pattern.

The result is either a corrupt but nevertheless sympathetic protagonist or a heroic one whose suffering bestows some real depth and authority.

*sniff* It's so beautiful!

You can take this as a model for character development-- the gradual maturing of Malcolm Khross, for example, into a sadder but a wiser man. All you really have to do is let the character start picking up scars from harsh brushes with reality.

You already seem to be doing some of this. I bring it up mostly in case you hadn't put a name to it yet.

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.
« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:43 »

My first issue is time.
Sometimes I can play and interact like things are happening seamlessly.
Sometimes I take several minutes, or even hours to come back to the game.
This totally breaks the immersive reality, and I know it can be frustrating for friends.
Real life takes priority, Eve is just a video game.  So I don't see being able to change these time issues.
Another issues is that the character has a mind of her own.
Most of the time she'll be compliant with what I want.  And sometimes she'll just go off and do her own thing.
While this is fun, it also leads to some IC hate towards her. 

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:58 »

Louella is cheerful and sunny all the time.

I am not. I get depressed.
\o/

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.
« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2013, 12:05 »

Louella is cheerful and sunny all the time.

I am not. I get depressed.
Does it bother you that she's cheerful?

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2013, 12:10 »

Specifically, srs problems:

Makkal lost her virginity, immediately got hitched, and then I left for parts unknown. I've lately returned and find myself with some problems.

1. Makkal has been married for several months now but I still think of her as inexperienced, uncomfortable, and ashamed of what she's done.

2. As soon as I returned, the other player wanted to jump back into relationship RP and I floundered. Emotional intimacy and intensity is something I need to work toward. I can't play Makkal as being 'swept up' in her feelings because it makes no sense. I can't play Makkal as being deeply in love because that's not something I can produce.

Generally:

1. I have an obsessive need to be in the same location as my character or follow the same route. When Makkal went to the Lock, Stock, and Barrel, I figured out where it was located and docked up there for the 4 hours she chatted. When Makkal decided she wanted to check out I-RED HQ, I made my way through null-sec to spend a few minutes flying around 98.

2. I'm better at shallow, chatty style RP than srs RP, especially when it's 1 on 1.

3. It seems in EVE RP, my character has to take the initiative or nothing will happen. That's easy enough for me to do, but that doesn't mean I have a plan or the ability to 'make it work' once it starts.

4. I want to PvP. PvP means ship loss. Ships cost money. So I'm spending a lot of time in game attempting to make money. Too many hours in game make me tired or grouchy and this leaks out of Makkal.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #37 on: 30 Apr 2013, 12:58 »

I have two main issues with my RP and play in general:

Huh. Thanks for that.

The old/new Seph thing is rough, sounds like you miss playing the old guy.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2013, 13:00 »

Following fast paced, massively crowded RP scenes is also a nightmare for me.

- I read reasonably fast, but not as fast as in my native language. When it's fast paced like in crowded channels or heated discussions, as much as I can type reasonably fast (even in english), I have actually sometimes a hard time to follow. I was surprised to see how we actually do not read scrupulously the whole sentences in that kind of situations, but in english I still have to at times. Which sometimes makes me scroll up to keep up with what was said, and sometimes I struggle to get back to the last entry. It's frustrating and exhausting.

- I find my sentences extremely poor compared to what I could write in my native tongue. Especially since english is extremely poor when it comes to convoluted/literary words (where it is actually extremely rich for common words). It often creates a conflict where I have to translate things that actually do not translate. I may spend a lot of time on wordreference at the worst time occasionally, which does not help. I also face the fact that I don't know many sayings and expressions to add that little flavor to the RP. I often find myself short of emotes or repeating the same ones countless times when I wouldn't in my native language.

- People often do not get at all the points I or my character are trying to make, which hints at an obvious fact, which is that when trying to be cryptic but comprehensible, what I actually write turns into a shapeless soup.

- I have always been unhappy about the mixed bag which is Lyn, since it is the only serious character that I have ever build layer after layer, starting without any knowledge of the lore. I recently managed to clean up a little all the mess, but some things are still annoying.

- The gap between the IGS/Summit Lyn and the private channels or "in flesh" Lyn has somehow gone beyond repairs. It's like 2 completely different characters. It was intended in the first place, but I still have to stitch both into one more coherent entity.

- Recently I have become annoyed and a little tired of playing a marginal/unliked character. I usually have a lot of admiration for people playing characters that are usually not very well liked by the  IC echo chambers, and I was fine with it (and I still am somehow). But it has started to become weary. I am in a position where I do not have the time nor the motivation to play enough to be present ICly in channels. So my character maybe appears once in a month (and that's optimistic) in a specific channel not being the summit, and thus has progressively lost all her contacts and people that know her, or appreciate her. Thus I continue to roleplay, but eventually I mostly roleplay a ghost, a shadow of herself. Which incidentally make people believe that she does nothing but open her mouth these days, which is quite free ammo for me, though, since it's not totally true ICly.

- Lyn being completely introverted/asocial/autistic/whatever, it's hard to get into RP spontaneously. I have to MAKE people RP with her, for her to take part in anything. It's logical, but it's very limitating. But i'm mostly okay with it... Mostly.

- My character has not changed nor has really been influenced by myself a lot. Me, however, have been heavily influenced by her over the years. It's scary, and as much as I am still definitely different OOCly (I hope I am not that wicked, pitiful thing), I am not at easy with that.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2013, 13:43 »

- The gap between the IGS/Summit Lyn and the private channels or "in flesh" Lyn has somehow gone beyond repairs. It's like 2 completely different characters. It was intended in the first place, but I still have to stitch both into one more coherent entity.

Social masks can be a pain in the ass, and it seems like a common issue for people.

Lyn does still have an outstanding invitation to visit the library at Morwen's place, by the way - Morwen may not care for dealing with her when politics or other serious subjects are on the table, but she's not so much of a bitch to rescind an invitation to something that had so clearly piqued someone's interest. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #40 on: 30 Apr 2013, 14:10 »

He's outlived his enemies, but everyone else that mattered as well. It is not the victory he hoped for

I hear you. The thing that bothers me the most about RPing Shin is that she's completely lost her holy fire. Everything since about 2007 has been a slow wrap up from Omerta Syndicate, and I've been unable to find anything that matters for her.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #41 on: 30 Apr 2013, 14:17 »

Social masks can be a pain in the ass, and it seems like a common issue for people.

Lyn does still have an outstanding invitation to visit the library at Morwen's place, by the way - Morwen may not care for dealing with her when politics or other serious subjects are on the table, but she's not so much of a bitch to rescind an invitation to something that had so clearly piqued someone's interest. :P

Making a Social Masks thread
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #42 on: 30 Apr 2013, 15:46 »

My biggest personal gripe is time.  I simply am too tight on time to do Sak justice, much less her sisters, much less non-RP things like fleets or the like.

Thus, I do what I can, and I feel like it's not up to the par of others.  Which makes me gripe, but whatever, the game is long and I'm patient.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:31 »

She has not forgotten but the way Morwen answered was more like "I will have to ask to Reppy first, we don't make people come here like that usually".

Me, however, totally forgot that /o\

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #44 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:23 »

If Lyn reminds her, it'll get asked, considering I may or may not have managed to convince him to resub. :3
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5