Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Elsebeth, of clan Rhiannon, was born on Matar in the heartlands of Mikramurka continent in the year 81? Read her official biography here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: New Balance Blog: Now with More Cruisers  (Read 7826 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: New Balance Blog: Now with More Cruisers
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2012, 10:49 »

My problem with drone mechanics is less the drones themselves and more the interface you have to use to control them, which is shit imo. I really hope those changes that make drones have UI button elements like modules comes out soon.

Like a high slot module that loads drones like ammunition from the drone bay and launches them when activated?  When I have drones, my attack/return hotkeys are easy enough to use.  It's the launching that still requires the stupid right click.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2012, 11:32 »

My problem with drone mechanics is less the drones themselves and more the interface you have to use to control them, which is shit imo. I really hope those changes that make drones have UI button elements like modules comes out soon.

Like a high slot module that loads drones like ammunition from the drone bay and launches them when activated?  When I have drones, my attack/return hotkeys are easy enough to use.  It's the launching that still requires the stupid right click.

Yes but every shortcut SHOULD also have an UI variant, like guns that have shortcuts (F1, F2,...,Fn) AND UI buttons. That's quite fundamental in ergonomics imho.

Anyway, eve is far from being an example in that field. xD

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2012, 12:16 »

dunno that you could assign UI thingies to drones though.

I mean, the idea of a button for "launch group 1" "launch group 2", and so on, sounds good, but there can be rather a lot of groups.

Can carriers still have light drones? or was that changed? But in any case, a Dominix has 375m3 of drone space, that's enough for a lot of groups of drones, not all of them can really be assigned a launch key, can they ? 15 flights of light drones, hmm.

Could assign ready groups, but still, you'd have to right click and launch for groups not hot-keyed, which you might need to do.

:\
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2012, 15:16 »

You can use the dronebay window and enhance it to have specialized buttons on it. The same way you have orbit/approach/jump/warp to buttons on the navigation window.

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2012, 16:09 »

Amarr droneboats are op. Arbitrator can field 50m3 more drones than a Vexor, gets more flexibility and an EWar bonus.
Sentinel can pretty much solo any other frigate out there, cause 17km neuts, tracking disruptors and holy fuck Don't get me started on the size of its dronebay.

So don't complain about Amarr droneboats, if there's one thing they need, it's a nerf.

Desiderya

« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2012, 18:01 »

Amarr droneboats are op. Arbitrator can field 50m3 more drones than a Vexor, gets more flexibility and an EWar bonus.
Sentinel can pretty much solo any other frigate out there, cause 17km neuts, tracking disruptors and holy fuck Don't get me started on the size of its dronebay.

So don't complain about Amarr droneboats, if there's one thing they need, it's a nerf.

I think the point that was discussed was a dislike of the idea of amarr droneboats, not a comment on their performance. ;)

Gesakaarin

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2012, 18:19 »

Stabber and variants get redesign but the Moa remains the mutant space duck of the Caldari Fleet.

Very disappoint.

Caldari missile destroyer made up for it though. Hopefully it isn't as gimped as the Flycatcher when using SML.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2012, 18:54 »

- Boosting combat cruisers (especially the rupture) sounds a little weird to me. They want to make them ok versus BCs ? Isn't a BC specifically designed to kill cruisers in the first place ? Like, destroyers are designed to kill frigates ? I am not even sure it is the case anymore though... This particular points sounds merely like the average escalation buff.

The tier 1 & 2 Battlecruisers appear to have been specifically designed to be basic FC/Boosting ships.

A relook at the tier 1 & 2 Battlecruisers should also be done; reducing their appeal as ships of the line.  Tier 1 Battlecruisers might be moved towards being more in line with Cruisers, having many attributes (warp speed, sensor strength, range, weapon points, etc) in the Cruiser class, but having an additional high slot or two for command modules.  Their real benefit should be in EHP, perhaps trading EHP for less capable weapons.  Want to fly a DPS ship, fly a cruiser; want to have boost in your 100M ISK fleet, have someone in a Tier 1 Battlecruiser.

Tier 2 Battlecruisers are currently better versions of tier 1 Battlecruisers in terms of intended role.  They need a unique role.  I do not think it should be "kill cruisers."

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2012, 21:14 »

Stabber and variants get redesign but the Moa remains the mutant space duck of the Caldari Fleet.

Dinosaur with a briefcase.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2012, 21:43 »

I guess the Moa needs a place to store those end of quarter financial reports.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:14 »

Whereas the Griffin is a robot butler with a suitcase and a headlamp.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:15 »

They are pretty good yes, though I would never dare to engage a vexor with an arbitrator myself. Depends of the vexor ofc, if the vexor has no guns and only med drones, I would yes, otherwise, I wouldnt.

A vexor can take less drones yes, but at the same time it can field heavy drones while the arbitrator cannot. Of course it means for the vexor that you have a very specialized anti cruiser fit that will have less spare drones if something happens. But a 2 heavy, 2 med and 1 light drone vexor were pretty unbeatable for me when I started FW, when gallente droneboats were still quite famous for their versatility (can take frigates, cruisers, everything in solo).

Still better than the giant space aphid osprey.

- Boosting combat cruisers (especially the rupture) sounds a little weird to me. They want to make them ok versus BCs ? Isn't a BC specifically designed to kill cruisers in the first place ? Like, destroyers are designed to kill frigates ? I am not even sure it is the case anymore though... This particular points sounds merely like the average escalation buff.

The tier 1 & 2 Battlecruisers appear to have been specifically designed to be basic FC/Boosting ships.

A relook at the tier 1 & 2 Battlecruisers should also be done; reducing their appeal as ships of the line.  Tier 1 Battlecruisers might be moved towards being more in line with Cruisers, having many attributes (warp speed, sensor strength, range, weapon points, etc) in the Cruiser class, but having an additional high slot or two for command modules.  Their real benefit should be in EHP, perhaps trading EHP for less capable weapons.  Want to fly a DPS ship, fly a cruiser; want to have boost in your 100M ISK fleet, have someone in a Tier 1 Battlecruiser.

Tier 2 Battlecruisers are currently better versions of tier 1 Battlecruisers in terms of intended role.  They need a unique role.  I do not think it should be "kill cruisers."

Yes definitly.

I don't like destroyers and BCs for these exact reasons. They do not fit well in the current mechanisms.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2012, 10:55 »

Looks good, will wait till I find out more though. They've done a pretty good job with the frigates so don't think I'll be too disappointed.

Also anyone who changes the design of the Moa will be on my hit-list forever :

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2012, 19:23 »

An easy fix for this is to simply check your keymapping in game and set some easy shortcut keys for drone control.
i only really use that little box in the corner for choosing which drones to launch. (usually sentries or hobgobs.)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2012, 05:09 »

An easy fix for this is to simply check your keymapping in game and set some easy shortcut keys for drone control.
i only really use that little box in the corner for choosing which drones to launch. (usually sentries or hobgobs.)

As said above you still have to right click / launch every time you want to launch them, which is especially annoying and archaic. Unless they create a new shortcut system for that as well, like for guns ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5