Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sansha ships originally armored tanked?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: On veterans and bitterness  (Read 7756 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: On veterans and bitterness
« Reply #45 on: 12 Jul 2012, 18:01 »

I've been called an Elsebeth alt and I've been called a Bacch alt.

The algebra of (attributed) althood can be amusing.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #46 on: 12 Jul 2012, 18:12 »

Not sure about Bacch, but I've never had any doubt that you're not an Else alt.

* Casiella is still trying to think who he's RPed with enough for Vieve to even notice.

* Casiella is a bit of a recluse sometimes.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #47 on: 12 Jul 2012, 20:20 »

Nullsecers like to think I am a russian alt, for some reason.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #48 on: 18 Jul 2012, 16:41 »

I took option 1 years ago.

I still take an interest in Eve, however, else I wouldn't be posting here right now! I suspect that things might be different if there had ever been a clear successor to Eve. I may well have found that enough of the community that I associated with moved to a new game that I would have happily joined them once I was done with New Eden. Instead, I'm left with memories of a game that doesn't really exist any more and a kind of sadness now that most of the people I knew have drifted away. Many of them probably drifted away from MMOs altogether.

Because there is such a lack of an alternative to Eve, and because they got so much right from the outset, all those cumulative mistakes made over the years lead to a level of disappointment that's maybe disproportionate. Because I loved Eve so much, I really fucking hate some of the terrible things that have been done to it. Passion cuts both ways.

Personally, I want Eve II. I want the right people working on it. I want some of the most egregious errors of the past to be acknowledged and not repeated. I want every trace of anything ever conceived of by Tony Gonzales excised and retconned out of existence. I want the game to be dynamic and complicated and downright intimidating. I want a fresh start.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #49 on: 19 Jul 2012, 06:34 »

Hmm, interesting topic. I largely agree, but it's people's subjective play experiences we are talking about or rather, people's subjective play experiences being projected onto the Eve collective consciousness.

Then there's the lifecycle thing. This is already Eve II, or Eve III. When you join the game, you adopt the current game mechanics and cultural attitudes as the game that is Eve, but change from this state is inevitable.

People complain about change if CCP introduces it. "The game is no longer the same game." People complain about a lack of change if CCP doesn't introduce it. "Factional Warfare is still useless." People become BitterVets or leave.

The next wave of people, adopting the latest prevailing reality of game mechanics and cultural attitudes as "the game", wonder at the BitterVets who seem out of touch. But the new folks enjoy the game until they too start complaining. They enter the change/stagnancy cycle.

The subsequent wave of people, adopting the status quo, wonder at the huge horde BitterVets who seem out of touch and divisive amongst themselves... and so it goes on.

It's fascinating really.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #50 on: 19 Jul 2012, 06:48 »

Yeah, fascinating to me too. Especially since even if a lot of things have become particularily irritating in Eve over the years and as of late, I wouldnt even dream to get back in a past iteration of the game. People love to conveniently forget how people were already complaining the same way before.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #51 on: 20 Jul 2012, 01:43 »

One of the most crushing problems to the RP community specifically is that the people who are/were big noteworthy names often do not pass on their knowledge to the next generation.

Many of these people leave, and behind them they leave a void that is very hard to fill.

Tl;dr, bittervets, moar of this plz
The very model of a British Minmatarian

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:01 »

Usually most of that information is on a forum somewhere, it would just need a full time job to compile all those together.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:17 »

Are we talking about passing on knowledge of the lore, passing on knowledge of the in-game events and history, or passing the mantle of authoritah to IC successors?

(I'm not currently sure whether I should be looking for people to pass knowledge to me, or looking for people to pass knowledge to.)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:25 »

The in-game events bit is easy.

Nothing has really happened for the past four years :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jul 2012, 06:54 »

Only if you consider the Sansha events and A'J "nothing". I find them highly interesting, useful, and significant.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jul 2012, 06:59 »

I've been called an Elsebeth alt and I've been called a Bacch alt.

The algebra of (attributed) althood can be amusing.

No kidding. I've been accused of being your alt before. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #57 on: 20 Jul 2012, 07:26 »

I've done a fair amount of stuff.

I've been on 2 news articles, and quoted on a 3rd.

My actions during the live events were part of why an Incursion npc is described the way they are.

I helped some people get their names on an ingame object.

But, a lot of that, seems very much "in the past". ISD news has changed. Live events are paused (again). Content-related things are reduced.

So, how do you avoid telling newer players things like: "Oh, I did this, but you can't do that anymore" ? How do you avoid that kind of discouraging truth ?

How do you remain enthusiastic, when the things that you were enthusiastic about, have been reduced or removed ?
\o/

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #58 on: 20 Jul 2012, 16:20 »

Back in the day, ISD ran events, wrote the news and moderated the forums. It's probably not unreasonable to suggest that a fair percentage of those volunteers were drawn from a fairly small RP community. It's probably fair to say that a lot of those people were veteran players. Then, the whole thing was dismantled.

It seems like most of those people are not around, playing their old characters. Some of those old characters were lost in the wake of the T20 scandal. Others probably drifted away: left very jaded after a lot of good people were cast aside. Certainly there is a big hole in terms of what they offered as the people running events. Some people went on to join CCP in various guises, and some of them are still there, but overall, there has been a net loss, especially as CCP have not been able to pick up the baton and run more than a few yards with it.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2012, 15:09 »

I read this and could help but think of this. Curious how someone might adapt this to the life cycle of the average Eve player.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5