Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: On veterans and bitterness  (Read 7724 times)

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon
Re: On veterans and bitterness
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jul 2012, 20:20 »

• Evolve from "bittervet" to "Buddhavet". AKA the "Silver Night Path". Let the frustration wash over you and pass through you until you emerge from it implacable and unworried, just enjoying the corners of EVE that still appeal to you and not getting :evil: about a game.

I must not Bittervet.
Bitterness is the game-killer.
Bitterness is the burnout that brings total ragequit.
I will face my Bitterness.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the Bitterness has gone there will be nothing.
Only Buddhavet will remain.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jul 2012, 23:04 »

I ascended to BitterVet status a while back now, been playing eve since late '07 and apart from a break recently have been active virtually all this time.

And honestly, I can say with confidence that while I have enjoyed virtually all my time in EVE the days of Revelations II when I joined where oh. my. god amazing, the Chrons and and the STUFF was so awesome, it was even before the Amarr and Armour tanking buffs...
Oh and did I mention Solo-PvP existed? So incredible.

Now, I attribute this whimsical love of that age of EVE to being my formative time in this game and I dearly miss them as I had the greatest amount of fun learning this game, learning its lore and generally fitting ships so poorly from whatever I had in my loot chest that looked shiny, which slowly taught me what you ACTUALLY should use on it.

But really, the way the game sat at that time as a completed product, the only things changing where balances and the upcoming Trinity graphics engine... And I suppose I miss the simplicity of EVE actually being a finished working product and I sympathise with a lot of BitterVets who remember those times and get REALLY angry because if you compare that to how EVE looks now... its just depressing.

But I agree, those who feel this way should definately keep it to themselves largely and if you have to vent, at least do it to a sympathetic ear - someone who understands, that way you aren't ruining the newbies time because no matter what I can almost guarantee its the most fun they will have in this game, lets not ruin it for them.

-One mighty bittervet, with a love of newbies :3

Edit: Kinda off topic but a hilarious moment I remember many years ago, when I first tried out turrets for real I had no idea what ammo to use... so in a brilliant moment I looked up what ammo to use in a small railgun, I saw 'Lead' as one of the options and went "Great!" and went and bought several thousand Carbonized Lead charges.
Subsequently I MAY have raged a little at this, being so confused why the stupid bloody guns wouldn't load and all I gave up and went back to using missiles.
<3 Noob memories
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012, 23:09 by Mathra Hiede »

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Gessenier

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2012, 00:44 »

I found the steps to cure my bittervet were (prior to taking RL vacation):

1. Recruit noobs into corp.
2. Put noobs in t1 Frigs/Dessies
3. Form fleet
4. Go into low-sec and engage whatever the hell you can in 'Death or Glory' mode.
5. Rinse, Repeat.

Seriously there was nothing more fun for me to than to just break open bottles of booze and DrunkFC noobs and watch them progress from clueless scrubs to increasingly more violent killmail whores. I found just letting go of the rage and acting as a mentor and teacher to impart what I've learned in Eve to new players an enjoyable vocation in the game.

Also, noobs actually want to get into Fleets and are usually up for anything pretty much whereas elitepvp bittervets answer the question of, "Join Fleet?" with, "Nah, Rather spin my ship instead thx."  :lol:

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:29 »

I don't see myself as a veteran, so I get frustrated, not bitter. :)

I'll work on getting bitter once I get around to working on becoming competent (oh, sure, focusing on existing characters and not creating alts when I want to explore new things/playgroups might help with that. :P ).

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #34 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:56 »

I'll work on getting bitter once I get around to working on becoming competent (oh, sure, focusing on existing characters and not creating alts when I want to explore new things/playgroups might help with that. :P ).

Nah, that's a handy way to go. (Why haven't we played together?)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:13 »

I am currently in a dark place in my EVE career. My bittervet level is so high right now i can't even stand to look at the EVE icon on my desktop.

Help... me...

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:30 »

I am currently in a dark place in my EVE career. My bittervet level is so high right now i can't even stand to look at the EVE icon on my desktop.

Help... me...

I'm finding my break helps some with that. YMMV.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #37 on: 12 Jul 2012, 13:06 »

I R IRL bittervet, has no time for game bittervettery.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:28 »

Nah, that's a handy way to go. (Why haven't we played together?)

We have.  Briefly.  You just didn't realize it at the time.  (And perhaps don't realize it now. :) )

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:37 »

Well, I remember one or two very brief "ships passing in the night" things in a corp.

Ah well, we'll fix it sooner or later.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:44 »

Well, I remember one or two very brief "ships passing in the night" things in a corp.

Ah well, we'll fix it sooner or later.

Wasn't that.  *whistles*

But, yeah, sooner or later.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:50 »

Veev is sneakkeh wun  :yar:

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:53 »

At any given time there are only 20 players in the EVE roleplay community....

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:54 »

and 18 of them are Istvaan's alts

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jul 2012, 18:00 »

and 18 of them are Istvaan's alts

:3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5