Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Signature inspiration / concept / perception / yada yada  (Read 6394 times)

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)

Personally I'm a sucker for signatures, always paying too much attention to them.
I've noticed there are a few different groups of people when it comes to what they're looking for in a signature:
  • There's the group who just want it to look cool really and not much else.
  • A group who wants to have it tell something about themselves (or their character when it comes to RP).
  • Those who use it to decorate the imaginative context of their posting in a 'context-logical way'.
  • People who visited BC (and went "zomg thats cool last kill on my sig and so much easier than making something").

It's really not hard to see when looking at a bunch of signatures that some came to being from entirely different perspectives on this matter than others.
Just a handful I like listed (yes, I am including my own because if those weren't good examples of what I liked I wouldn't be using them either):

So what does a signature need to do for you? Does it require meaning? Should it represent your preferences on a certain subject?
And of course - I don't get you, any examples?

Edit: PS: I'm sorry if I know you well and you have a great signature and I left you out, but I didn't wanna start off with a massive list of 100 signaturs either just because I think they're all cool.  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 06:18 by Jozana »

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: Signature inspiration / concept / perception / yada yada
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:07 »

I thought the last one was entertaining, but what I look for in a sig is how well it captures people's eyes. I usually don't have more than a name and a corporation in mine, because I haven't seen quotes that weren't cliche or overused or emo.

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:25 »

I thought the last one was entertaining, but what I look for in a sig is how well it captures people's eyes. I usually don't have more than a name and a corporation in mine, because I haven't seen quotes that weren't cliche or overused or emo.

Do you find catchy to be mostly clear and simple or something more vibrant?

Like...

...or...

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:38 »

Well, they both are to me. One is visually stimulating with lots of bright lights and textured stuff while the other takes a clean, minimalist approach. Your eyes see a blank canvas and naturally gravitate towards the symbols and words. I like them both >.>

Those are some of mine that I've made over the years. I don't necessarily have a ton of artistic ability, but I think they get the point across.  :D

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:47 »

Those are some of mine that I've made over the years. I don't necessarily have a ton of artistic ability, but I think they get the point across.  :D

They sure do, nice work on those.  :D

I should find all the old ones I did again, 'cause I used to be a lot better at it than I am now, but I forgot to transfer the files somewhere along the road. Though I have backups of everything, so I should be able to retrieve them, I just need to take the time sometime.  :s

The first four in the original post are a few I made, but that's been recently after I didn't touch Photoshop for some years.

PS: Lillith, what is this I see here... you never told me about this... sort of err... material involving you - explain yourself.  :o
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 10:27 by Jozana »

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:20 »

Kal made a whole series of them. I loved it, so I used it for a long time. Also this one is getting updated for NeuroGEN. So I am likely to start using it again. Here at least. :)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2010, 10:22 »

Mine sort of plays off the way I see myself, sort of thematically, lots of blues, blacks, greens and whites, cyberpunk imagery throughout, Lain is mah homegirl,

gah, I wish I could make myself some news sigs, banners and stuff, but my damn desktop is bricked and it has all of my photoshop assets.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2010, 15:16 »

Obviously, they can do many things.. and so, while I played I had individual sigs for a number of different reasons. Over time though, they do communicate some essential things : something about me as a player, and something about me as a character.

Below you'll find a sampler of some of my sigs.

That's one of my earliest sigs, from the time my character was still affiliated with the Blood Raiders.

I think the key here is attitude... and humor.

Starsi was a popular thing at some point, so here I'm showing my support. And I guess ever since that, it's been "GoGo Yubari... sponsored by Starsi!"

Representing the Intaki.

Here I wanted to try a different visual style. More chaotic, more messy and with the tagline I've since associated with GoGo.

Of course, sigs also reflect your in-game allegiances and you take one of those "group sigs" as your own.

... and sometimes they do that while preserving your own particular flavor. That's actually probably still my favorite. The mood, the colors.. and an RL friend of mine in the pic.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 15:19 by GoGo Yubari »

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2010, 15:29 »

You have some really nice ones in there too.

I'm inclined to say I like this one most of all of them:

Here I wanted to try a different visual style. More chaotic, more messy and with the tagline I've since associated with GoGo.

I think for a first attempts at the style it worked out very well, 'cause it's not exactly the easiest thing to do either. To make something chaotic, yet sufficiently recognizable.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2010, 20:39 »

I need a new one, tbh.

Unfortunately, my copy of photoshop went down when my last PC bricked.  :|

I've always sort of wandered between 'official' looking info-packed sigs and more picturesque stuff. I wish I could find some of the old ones, but after 7 years most of that stuff has been lost to the void.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2010, 00:42 »

I need a new one, tbh.

Unfortunately, my copy of photoshop went down when my last PC bricked.  :|

I've always sort of wandered between 'official' looking info-packed sigs and more picturesque stuff. I wish I could find some of the old ones, but after 7 years most of that stuff has been lost to the void.

What I'm about to say was not initially part of the topic's attention, but who cares really.
I guess you can always explain what you'd like to have and maybe if anyone of us is bored enough to have a go at it later myself or anyone else can try and make you something.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2010, 15:25 »

I am looking for a new signature.. Mine is alittle outdated, If anyone wants to make a few so I can pick out of a bunch I am willing to pay 50-100mil depending on how good they are.

Dont care on the look.. so suprise me ;)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2010, 06:47 »

Damn, those are wicked. All of them. Well, I'm not too fond of anime, but still.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2010, 07:55 »

Hm. Inspiring....

Koronakesh

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2010, 23:33 »

Most of the (many) signatures I've had relate directly to the corporation / organization I was in at the time.

A brief list in no particular order:

A product of ventrilo conversation with Graelyn and (I believe) Theophilas:

The basic PIE starter sig:

PRETA signature:

Syneneose Accord Signature by Mebrithiel:

Symbolic sig I had put together by Ricardo:

Another sig by Ricardo (and at present, my everywhere-except-alliance-forums signature):

And on the note of that last one, my nowhere-except-alliance-forums signature:

« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2010, 01:44 by Koronakesh »
Pages: [1] 2 3