Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Jove Empire is isolated from the rest of the world to all but a selected few? read more here.

Author Topic: Current Political/Social Climate  (Read 1210 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Current Political/Social Climate
« on: 26 Jan 2011, 18:48 »

Ok, so I paid the bucks and got back into the game to see what it's all about. Not sure if I'll stick around any longer or do anything beyond just looking and wondering at all the new stuff, but I might. One thing that struck me as I was reading the forums and trying to get a feel for what's going on in the universe was the different tone in the player alliances and the like.

Back when I played extensively, the BoB vs Goons and everyone else conflict was raging on. It was pretty epic (in the literal sense of the word). There were other big alliance conflicts too which got a lot of attention and it really felt like a vibrant, breathing world filled with a cast of interesting characters with a lot of drama going on. I'm not saying that was some sort of utopia, but it was something I really hadn't seen in any other game.

Now looking at the political map and reading COAD, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or just horribly out of date, but I'm not really seeing the same kind of .. thing going on. It's a lot less people getting into playing internet spaceships and more people playing at playing internet spaceships. More Internet lol humor, even less attempts by anyone to be genre/setting appropriate and just a general feeling of being uncaring and jaded by everyone. My gut instinct is to blame the Goons for all of it.

Or it could totally be that I just don't know all these new names and characters milling about. What do you think?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Current Political/Social Climate
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2011, 18:53 »

Everyone is out for their own agenda and most of it is the same individuals making repeated appearances in the political sphere.

I've only been here a year, but, I would doubt it was any different before now.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Current Political/Social Climate
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2011, 05:55 »

Let's see.

Back when I started, the map looked like this:

[spoiler][/spoiler] (Date may not be exact, but something like that.)

Currently, the map looks like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Now, changes.

North-South blobfest in the west: D2 and IRON gone. (Well, Mostly Harmless and Ev0ke are D2 successors.) Deklein is still given out an "outer circle" NC alliance, in this case Goons. Pure Blind and Fade inhabited by smaller alliances, currently well in NC control. (Former Providence alliances there currently.) Goons (and their younger cousin TEST) are in Fountain, fighting against BoB. Fountain/Delve/Querious are still held by BoB (named IT Alliance), after a year of being held by Goons (after a director-level defector disbanded BoB. Goons collapsed when their directors burned out and the CEO ran with the alliance wallet)

Catch-Providence: Huzzah was kicked out by AAA. Catch saw the rise and fall of IAC. AAA became a big boy, before their own burnout problems and collapsed to the Initiative. However, they're taking their former territory back. CVA did collapse to AAA (while it was led by HAVOC), and their space is held by half of Triumvirate (called Northern Coalition alliance) and Ev0ke (ex-D2) and 404 (part of ex-TCF).

Deeper south, ASCN and the rest of the Southern Coalition (against RA) alliances gone, and RA splinters running the place. Russians are still accused of sploits and RMT. Southeast, RA did briefly collapse, but helped by their (former) comrades, bounced back up pretty fast. Russians took over the new lands to the east after a brief stay of other alliances. Vale of the Silent and Geminate are now a buffer between Drone Russians and the NC, mostly controlled by NC.

The major changes in resouce balance have been the introduction of invention, rebalancing the moons (making the northern technetium valuable and the bottleneck instead of the southern dysprosium). Moving high-level plexes into exploration changed balance with the old 10/10s. And then, Dominion changes and upgrading systems made truesec less necessary for a good 0.0 income. The latest change, in specific, has been accused by some to lessen the need for conflict, as it is "more cost effective" to upgrade your own space. Of course, there's always a war going on, but it is not very visible on the official forums. Back when I joined, COAD might be readable at most times, now it's even more just a giant trollfest. First the good stuff moved to the Scrapheap Challenge, but it's pretty bad these days, too. Then there's a forum ran by Kugutsumen (of T20/hacking fame), which is pretty rapidly declining to utter shit, as well.

Also, since the Incursions started for reals. Sinq Laision is still the "most dangerous" region in all EVE.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2011, 05:57 by Mithfindel »