Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The founder of Zainou Biotech, Todo Kirkinen, was the first person to have his mind transfered into a machine? Ishukone owns a majority stake of Zainou.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: EVE Online: Incursion  (Read 11078 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
EVE Online: Incursion
« on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:04 »

http://www.eveonline.com/incursion/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=update&utm_campaign=incursion

NEW PORTRAITS BEST FEATURE K

New Sansha mothership and fighterbomber is cool

Wondering what the new visuals will be.

Wondering what new AI will be

Wondering what storyline events will be.

Also, am bothered with the incursions...no matter how much the defenders retaliate, they are always successful...I brought it up here...

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1379080

With enough time, Sansha will kidnap enough to seriously damage worldbuilding...there'll be "empty Estigones" everywhere...

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: EVE Online: Incursion
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:12 »

I demand angel motherships! Nao!
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:16 »

I'd rather fly fighter-bombers directly.

You know you want to.

Degen Sankriga

• Nyan...
  • Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:41 »

NEW PORTRAITS BEST FEATURE K

Yes, yes, yes!

Overall, I'm looking forward to what they throw out at us, but, what I'm interested in seeing is what type of improvements are made to the NPCs and their AI; it's possible that they might use the Sleeper AI. Hopefully.

And yes, as Nikita said, different faction stuff aswell, but I guess we can expect that at some other point in time.

Also, your point about nothing left to defend, Seri. I doubt they'll let that happen, although...
Embrace the Nyan!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:04 »

And yes, as Nikita said, different faction stuff aswell, but I guess we can expect that at some other point in time.

"We've built a framework that will allow us to easily add more content and features in the future. We're looking forward to future iterations on this exciting addition to EVE! Oh, and it will be awesome!"

Yeah, yeah.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:10 »

So, nothing new except a name and a release month.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:29 »

My chief and primary concern with this is how badly the incursions are going to get farmed, and whether or not they can actually stop a player attack or are simply "Welp enough people are here, obviously we'll get rolled inevitably".

In regards to stopping population thieving: This will probably be addressed (or ignored by the wider playerbase as RP wankery) so that the Sansha are not stripping whole worlds of life. Granted, considering the number of NPC ships destroyed monthly probably exceeds the total human population in EVE...

I imagine the Sansha will have to employ pyrrhic methods for their inevitable repulsion. If the civilians are carried to the mothership, which is then destroyed, then all those civilians are dead. The Sansha have been repulsed, but the Empires have lost their citizens.

A fair trade off since it does not seem intended for Coalition/Nation loyal capsuleer fighting to go on. (Look, stealth pirate faction warfare introduction! σ_σ )
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:58 »

Wondering what new AI will be

If that means more challenging NPCs and fewer numbers, i'm sold

Wondering what storyline events will be.

That sounds like an evolution of the live events concept, much like the "campaign" modes i was suggesting long ago.

I am however very very worried with the new "loot" and the PI improvements.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2010, 14:48 »

My chief and primary concern with this is how badly the incursions are going to get farmed, and whether or not they can actually stop a player attack or are simply "Welp enough people are here, obviously we'll get rolled inevitably".

In regards to stopping population thieving: This will probably be addressed (or ignored by the wider playerbase as RP wankery) so that the Sansha are not stripping whole worlds of life. Granted, considering the number of NPC ships destroyed monthly probably exceeds the total human population in EVE...

I imagine the Sansha will have to employ pyrrhic methods for their inevitable repulsion. If the civilians are carried to the mothership, which is then destroyed, then all those civilians are dead. The Sansha have been repulsed, but the Empires have lost their citizens.

A fair trade off since it does not seem intended for Coalition/Nation loyal capsuleer fighting to go on. (Look, stealth pirate faction warfare introduction! σ_σ )

I'm hoping the factions will be put on a 'war footing'...ie. if the invasions will be drawn out over a week, then the empires will also, similarly, deploy such forces in this regard, but will still follow the tactic of "we defend planetside and orbit, capsuleer attack in space". Perhaps the focus will not be on kidnapping people at all, in fact, maybe the kidnapping things right now is just to prepare for their more 'grand attack' things. so no more kidnapping!

I'm still rather pissy that Lirsautton V, a major Federation homeworld, had no planetside defence =/

But yeah, hoping that's what happens. And hopefully the threat of Sansha is not increased to the point that FW begins "foolishness"...ie. why should my character continue to fight Caldari if Sansha are the bigger threat? I like the GAllente-Caldari conflict.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2010, 10:20 »

My prime concern around the incursions remains that those already with power - i.e., nullsec and other large alliances - will bring overhwhelming power to bear on these incursions, snapping up the shiny new motherships and fighter bombers, without really leaving much for the rest of EVE. Yes, I realise it's important for CCP to cater to nullsec alliances as well, but this kind of free-for-all fight seems somewhat... ill-thought-out.

Aside from that... portraits look interesting, AI and visual changes could be nice as well, and finally, obligatory "want fixes for broken old content, pls."

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2010, 10:37 »

Considering that the PvE crowd has absolutely NO use for a mothership...I fear you might be right Esna. CCP did an entire expansion that hasn't affected me at all in Dec 09, ie. Dominion, so this time they're doing something for the empire lot...

However, the people they are catering to will mostly not even have the ability or resources to make a mothership, considering you need sovereignty...

o\

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:03 »

You needed sov in the past. Whether that continues to be true remains an open question. And, personally, I'd love to get my hands on a mothership BPC even if I can't build it, because somebody like the NC would pay excellent ISK for it.

Nullsec alliances have limited resources and they must choose where and how to deploy them. If you send a significant fleet of pilots to respond to a Sansha incursion, those pilots aren't defending your home turf. This means you may have to deal with raids from your enemies out there.

However, somebody like (say) Electus Matari would be in a better position to respond to an incursion in Heimatar, as their fleet is closer and they don't have to protect sov anyplace.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:25 »

I'll echo what Casiella said.  We really don't know what the new motherships will be.  Since the new supercarriers basically dumped the logistics side of their role, maybe the new motherships will take that up, with clone bays and corp hangers.  

Here's some complete speculation, but maybe it will be like the Jovian motherships were hinted at in the chrons, more a mobile station than a ship.  Maybe it could be some sort of mobile POS, fly to where you want it, then eject in your pod and it becomes a pos, complete with shield.  Maybe it would have limited manufacturing facilities and everything, or use it as a tower and set up modules around it.  Then if it gets attacked and put into reinforced, maybe you can make it a ship again pull in all the modules and fly away before the second attack comes in.  I think that would be very useful to the PvE crowd, your own manufacturing facility in deep space, even if it was limited to low sec, it would still be easier to protect than a POS.  

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

NOT STEALTH EDIT:

Just had an idea, which probably isn't going to happen, but...

What if Sansha motherships can generate wormholes.  And with a quick hop into wormhole space, you can go from Jita to Amarr in one jump.  Even throwing on limits like, can only do to sub capital ships, one so much mass, etc, it would still be completely awesome. 
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2010, 14:09 by Saikoyu »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2010, 21:15 »

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, other than this:

The day we stop complaining about every single free expansion is the day a utopia society is created.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2010, 21:41 »

See, Eve is my first and only MMO. Are you suggesting that other MMOs charge you money when they upgrade the game as well as charging you money every month?

That just seems... greedy.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4