Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PAX 2010: CCP unveils EVE Online's latest expansion  (Read 3238 times)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/04/pax-2010-ccp-unveils-eve-onlines-latest-expansion/#continued

In the article:
#1: Improvements to planetary features 
They're changing stuff around

#2: Incursions
Kill them Sansha scums!

#3: Improvements to EVE Gate
Moar stuff on the site.

#4: Revamped character creation
Omg like, it's time for a makeover /valley girl

Looks interesting but I have a feeling the Incursions is going to be only for the anti-Sansha groups. :(

Benjamin Shepherd

Re: PAX 2010: CCP unveils EVE Online's latest expansion
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2010, 17:45 »

Very excited about #2 and #4.

It'll be features that actually make me feel more engaged. Of course we'll get to hear the beautiful sounds of the angry PvP addict who complains about each patch vehemently, so that sounds like fun.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2010, 17:55 »

#1 better include a whole lot less clicking to get stuff done  :bash: Other than that, I like.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2010, 19:06 »

#1 Based on the article, they don't need to make any changes to Tryannis to get what they desire.  You already have need at least 2x weekly maintenance of raw material collection.  Now they are going to have the planet's topology change, requiring weekly tear-down and setup of the base?  Has CCP looked at the state of the industry/resource gathering structures?  They need to be making it less time consuming to allow those players invested in it the opportunity to pursue the games core-selling points.   :bash:

#2 Sounds like potential for lots of fun.  Hopefully it is not just one constellation at a time and people have to make a choice.  I would be interested to see if they are going to include anything that rewards Nation supporters. I doubt it, but CCP do know the supporters are there.

#3 The introduction of corporate forums is interesting; right now a corporation is tied to many outside structures (forums, websites, meta-sites).  Such meta-structures tied to Eve and paid for by CCP is actually a selling point in my mind; our subscription fees pay for the forums we use.  It becomes a question of control/security on the part of corporation's leadership.  I will hazard an Eve-based forum more secure than an OOG one.

#4 Neat.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep 2010, 19:07 »

I'm hoping the incursions let folks assist in some way (even if that does make you ebul space zombie borg).

The character revamp cannot possibly come soon enough...

And here's hoping they get some fixes in there. ;)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2010, 20:15 »

Have to say, than in most previous expansions, the majority of features were in sync with what i feel is the natural progression of the game....this time...i am confused...

Epic arcs, as we wanted better and more varied missions, yet it only gave us the newbie arc, the level 4s and the pirate arcs. How about converting the old "COSMOS" to epic arcs?

PI, as is obviously an expansion of the economy and giving more control of the economy to the players.

But with the features announced here....well...i just don't know....

Like i said in SHC, PI was thought and designed as "passive income", why would they now want us to micromanage it? we want more ways to earn money (in reasonable limited quantities) for going out and do PvP, not spend more time raising money.... althought from what i have read people are earning incredible ammounts of money through the NPC/industry indexes in 0.0, and not caring about invading the neighbors territory.

Improvements for PI you say?, i wish i could add pleasure hubs, torture chambers, slave pens, terraforming, or other special (read racial oriented) structures that can improve the output of my colony, without having to deal with more processors/extractors nor cycle timers....i use the 3-day runs because its just retarded to be reviewing the thing everyday.....why require micromanagement to be competitive now?

If its industry that they want to revisit, i can think of at least 6 topics that could be improved.

Good for them on continuing EvEgate development and the avatar remake is probably the first step stone into Incarna.....but ....i just don't know.....to what are they aiming for?

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #6 on: 05 Sep 2010, 02:54 »

As I said yesterday: This is failing to get me even semi-hard. I'll make some comment though.

Quote from: CCP
CCP became dissatisfied with the fact that players would set up their colonies and mining operations and then leave them be. So to encourage subscribers to keep tabs on their colonial investments, the game will now encourage players to check on their investments periodically and tweak them depending on how low resources are getting and where better deposits lie. So by fine-tuning the operations of the master extractor, a shrewd player can increase his output if he's willing to micromanage. Conversely, a player who wants to sit back and not worry about hands-on management may set up long-term operations for a smaller return on invested time.

So if you want to make any sort of money or run any sort of reaction chain you'll have even more of a clickfest.
From what I've read by PI users the reason they're leaving their setups is because they're dissatisfied with the utterly useless way you've set up the PI UI with a billion clicks each time and that PI can't be used by Corp but only by the user.
But CCP are the ones dissatisfied and thus it'll be even more of what people are complaining about. Good read on things guys.....

So lets see what these incursions are all about:

By far, the most exciting new feature of this expansion is what CCP is calling "incursions" -- invasions into constellations that will require the dedicated efforts of players to repel. These incursions will be led by the zombie-like Sansha and are expected to take a week or more to defeat.

Hello raids in EvE,complete with a timer and all.

What's surprising is that incursions are largely intended to be a cooperative PvE experience in a notoriously PvP game, although competing corps may butt heads while attempting to be heroic. The incursions will happen all over the galaxy and will be clearly marked on the map. At that point, teams of five to 40 can group up and take the fight to the stars.

/Yell: LFM for "Sanshas Sanctum. DPS+Healer needed. Min 20Mil in PvP skills for DPS.  Healer needs to permarun transfer. PLZ send whisper+screenshot of skills to me. Going for Sansha achievement+ all bosses"

Only good thing is the butting heads bit. Provided it means pew pew and not "Lol I r tagged Sansha first is our boss nao"

The ultimate goal of incursions is to defeat the mothership at the core, although it's nothing less than suicide to make a beeline for this ship right away. If players don't pick off the outer ring of ships -- and thus weaken the fleet's defenses -- their ships will be weakened if they decide to attack the mothership. If the mothership goes kablooey, then ISK and loyalty points will be had by all, in addition to the brand-new blueprints to said defeated mothership. One nice aspect of incursions is that if you can only participate in part of the fight, you'll still get rewarded once it's finished, even if you're not present.

It's a raid WoW style. I get it already.

Regarding Eve gate I've yet to even log into it once so all this tells me is that people do work at CCP and receive money for doing it. You use it more power to you, hope you enjoy the new features.

Revamped character creation mentioned for the millionth time. With luck it'll even work.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #7 on: 05 Sep 2010, 03:16 »

I don't see WoW in this at all, to be honest. What I see is Warhammer Online. Group events. Every once in a while, a 'group quest' or whatever spawns and the ones participating will be taking down a chain of objectives in that area. Either by their lonesome, taking down stragglers on the outskirts or together against a bunch of them. Either a hundred people take down the objectives quickly, or five struggle to do it through attrition. (Numbers pulled out of my ass)

In the end, objectives are met, new objectives pop up (new ships, Mothership?) and it takes a lot of people to do it. And it doesn't require any "LFG" or "LFM" yells anywhere. Be there, do what you can, gtfo if you can't, and if you participate you gain rewards at the end measured up against the impact you made.

I liked that mechanic, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work in Eve. It's not raids. It's 'world events', not much different from the current Sansha attacks. If it happens in low or nullsec, people can butt heads all they want. Hell, the Sansha bandwagoneers can rush in to defend if they want. The question is... will CCP take those into account and give them rewards for their efforts?

Jari Katir

« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2010, 00:20 »

I don't see WoW in this at all, to be honest. What I see is Warhammer Online. Group events. Every once in a while, a 'group quest' or whatever spawns and the ones participating will be taking down a chain of objectives in that area. Either by their lonesome, taking down stragglers on the outskirts or together against a bunch of them. Either a hundred people take down the objectives quickly, or five struggle to do it through attrition. (Numbers pulled out of my ass)

In the end, objectives are met, new objectives pop up (new ships, Mothership?) and it takes a lot of people to do it. And it doesn't require any "LFG" or "LFM" yells anywhere. Be there, do what you can, gtfo if you can't, and if you participate you gain rewards at the end measured up against the impact you made.

I liked that mechanic, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work in Eve. It's not raids. It's 'world events', not much different from the current Sansha attacks. If it happens in low or nullsec, people can butt heads all they want. Hell, the Sansha bandwagoneers can rush in to defend if they want. The question is... will CCP take those into account and give them rewards for their efforts?

Yea I don't get why everyone's seemingly going "OH GOD NO RAIDS", these are really clearly 'public quests' not raids. Hell I hope CCP does reward the people who (for some reason) want to side with the Sansha, just to add a new layer to it later, but it sounds like they want it PvE so I don't expect that to happen anytime.

I have yet to really get into PI so I really can't talk about if this is an improvement or not, sounds like they're fixing a problem with a new version of the same problem though.

Evegate and Character improvements? Eff yea.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #9 on: 07 Sep 2010, 00:26 »

seems pretty cool, can't wait to see the new portraits, I've been itching to play with them since they were announced.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:24 »

I think the reasons people (inc. myself) are a bit  :| at the Incursions are the following:

"At that point, teams of five to 40 can group up and take the fight to the stars."

Why 5 to 40? Is there some kind of limitation in place? Like acceleration gates that can only be activated X times? Would this not interfere with the ability of rival corps to "butt heads" ?

Furthermore, 5 Dramiels > 5 t1 frigates. Will newer players in their T1 ships be able to do anything constructive?
A limitation on numbers fundamentally excludes players whose characters have less SP.

How is difficulty of the Incursion content going to cope with situations where you could have t1 frigates and faction fit dramiels?

And:
"The ultimate goal of incursions is to defeat the mothership at the core, although it's nothing less than suicide to make a beeline for this ship right away. If players don't pick off the outer ring of ships -- and thus weaken the fleet's defenses -- their ships will be weakened if they decide to attack the mothership."

You Can't Do This Now. As it is phrased, it is not a case of having to reduce the npc fleet to reduce incoming fire, it is having to reduce the npc fleet otherwise a penalty will be applied to the players.

This looks like "You Must Do Things This Way", which feels wrong in a sandboxy game.
\o/

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:26 »

In the article:
#1: Improvements to planetary features  
They're changing stuff around

#2: Incursions
Kill them Sansha scums!

#3: Improvements to EVE Gate
Moar stuff on the site.

#4: Revamped character creation
Omg like, it's time for a makeover /valley girl

Looks interesting but I have a feeling the Incursions is going to be only for the anti-Sansha groups. :(

1.) Hope this works.  If they want me to bother hiring ground-pounding mercs to defend my planetary structures via DUST, I hope CCP would make them valuable and enjoyable enough to warrant the hassel.  Right now I would just shrug and move on.  

2.) Ok.  Sure.  Why not.  

3.) See number 2

4.) Very awesome.  Looking forward to this.
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2010, 11:31 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 07 Sep 2010, 12:15 »

Apart from "difficult PVE", this has nothing to do whatsoever with raids. That's a red herring if I ever saw one.

My primary concern right now is the fact that it appears totally one-sided (the ebul zombie borg need support too). I'll reserve judgment on the sandboxiness because we don't know enough about it, but I do trust CCP in this regard. They know what "my EVE" means and I believe they'll find a way to keep that feel.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 08 Sep 2010, 05:21 »

1. I'd rather play tetris or minesweeper than PI. It's not interesting to me. Add guns, coke and hookers somehow and I'll play with it.

2. Sure, new pve stuff is cool as long as incursions aren't watered down, half implemented versions of what is envisioned.

3. Don't use it. Don't want it. Don't like having to hit extra buttons now to set standings or add to addybook.

4. I liek my character portraits, dun wanna change them.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 08 Sep 2010, 08:18 »

4. I liek my character portraits, dun wanna change them.

Hush your blasphemy.
Pages: [1] 2