Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why Do You Play the Character You Play?  (Read 4429 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Why Do You Play the Character You Play?
« Reply #45 on: 19 Jun 2013, 20:12 »

A difficult question. I'll start with the easiest character to answer it for:

Hilion Narath was created because I wanted an alt to try piracy with. I play him the way I do because it appeals to the part of me which enjoys playing a slightly absurd, unabashedly ridiculous character. I find him prettty entertaining, at least when I'm in the right frame of mind.

To answer some of the questions from the op, I saw the 'Cyberknight' background when they added the Khanid bloodline, and had a vision, a vision of a geriatric cyberknight pirate of gnome-like proportions with a serious substance abuse problem and an unshakable conviction that he was in fact a Brutor. I felt that Eve would be a better place with him in it, so I selflessly bought a power of two account and created him.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #46 on: 19 Jun 2013, 21:35 »

I like this topic, too.

Katla is my second character, after playing for a coupple of weeks with a couple of RL friends only to decide that if I was going to both stay friends with one of them and play the game in a way I found enjoyable, I would have to make a fresh start and not play with him. I am greatly relieved at what Shin wrote above, because I picked Katla's race and background precisely in order to get a high Charisma, which I had been led to believe was essential in order to become a decent mission runner. It's great to finally know that I was not alone in making that mistake. Misery loves company.  ;)

Similarly, I made her Fed Navy, because back in 04, it let you start with racial frigate at level 4, which by itself made for a high starting SP total compared to most of the other choices.

She was a RP character from the get-go, but since I was still learning the ropes of EVE lore, she wasn't particularly well-developed. Her first missions consisted of hauling garbage (literally) from one station to another, and I ended up rationalizing this fact by deciding that she graduated near the bottom of her class and was seen as a bit of a failure by her peers and superiors. This also provided her with a good excuse for buggering off into Amarrian space rather quickly, although I've forgotten why this seemed like a good idea at the time. In any case, once there, I got involved with a small RP-lite corp started by two "veterans" (a veteran was anyone who owned and could fly a battleship, back then), and hung around with them for a few months, long enough to get a Megathron of my own, which I really had no business flying. Then RL stuff forced me off EVE for more than a year.

When I came back, the old corp was dead, my Megathron died soon after because I still didn't know how to tank, and I decided to take a trip back to Fed space, where I got acquainted with the "real" EVE RP community for the first time. In particular, Placid Reborn seemed to offer an exciting concept, but they were a bit too martial for my tastes, as I was very PVP-shy at the time. So when two of their members left PR to found the industrial corp Krysalis, I joined up almost immediately. I had a good time there, and while I didn't get rid of my PVP aversion during the time I was there, I did get more comfortable poking around in low-sec, and I got thoroughly immersed in the RP scene.

Eventually Krysalis ended as well, not long after an incredibly embarrassing war that mostly consisted of us hiding in stations and crying bitter IC and OOC tears because we were harassed by the new-on-the-scene corp INTAKI UNION, a bunch of Intaki separatist terrorists with ties to Amarr. Although we were under orders not to undock, I was very glad for those orders, and I still sometimes wish I could travel back in time and slap the past myself silly over that fact. While the war itself ended, the feeling of having a sword of Damocles hanging over our heads did not, and I believe that played a big part in the subsequent dissolution of Krysalis.

After that I put Katla on the back-burner for a while as I got my second account, where I decided to try my hand at playing an Achura, who I decided was going to be a follower of the Amarrian faith. Being more familiar with the EVE lore by then, I put considerably more initian thought into Lilya's background than Katla's. While she was born and raised on Saisio, I also decided that she had lived all her life in a remote and isolated Amarrian mission (on a tiny island, no less), and so would have had close to no contact with "regular" Achuran society before she left.

(I also decided that the mission was as remote as it was because Achuran authorities really didn't want Amarrian missionaries on the planet at all, but felt pressured into allowing it for diplomatic reasons, and decided to give the Amarrians an island instead of allowing them the opportunity to find a site on their own. The inaccessibility of the location meant the missionaries would only be able to exert their foreign influences of a very small number of people, who would in almost all cases have to seek them out on their own initiative, rather than the other way around. This potential insult was then deftly camouflaged by said authorities pointing out, very pleasantly, that the location's remoteness made it ideally suited for the Amarrians' purposes, as it was an excellent location for a monastery - which it reasonably would be, from a traditional Achuran point of view.)

I had fun playing Lilya for a while. She got swept up by Ashar, and became one of the few traditionalists in the otherwise very innovative Order of the Blessed Sisters of Amarr. Eventually, she and the other traditionalists left and formed Opus Imperium.

By that time my interest in Katla had been rekindling, however. She was over in Caldari space at that time running missions for them for who knows what reason, and I decided to take a good hard look at her seemingly wishy-washy personality and loyalties, and see if I could impose a bit of sense and structure onto it, while still allowing for her previous in-space actions to not seem completely out of character. And in a fit of inspiration, Astropolitanism, and with it, Astropolitan Front, was born. Since it was a stroke of inspiration on my own part which led me down that path, I decided to make it the case with her as well - she visited Yulai, walked around a station there for the first time, and experienced an epiphany which suddenly helped her making sense of her own identity in a way which she'd never been able to do before. Almost overnight, the alcoholic Navy washout and lackluster industrialist became a political demagogue with dreams of CONCORD's eventual supremacy and a culturally pasteurized (and politically totalitarian) society of space-dwelling people. Katla as she exists today owes a lot of her personality and quirks to this period.

AST-F was a lot of fun, despite all the setbacks and eventual dissolution of the corp. What I do regret is pulling Lilya into it once I found out that I wouldn't have time to both be a CEO and play an alt outside of the corp. While pulling her in was a sensible choice in a strictly OOC sense, it largely ruined her as a roleplay character. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been much better to just let her fade into the background and perhaps pick her back up at a later date.

Once FW hit and AST-F got the final nail hammered into its coffin, going Sansha was a pretty easy choice. Without going into too much detail as to the philosophical whys (although I could), I had actually kept a pretty sympathetic view toward the Nation during AST-F's existence, with peace between CONCORD and the Nation being one political goal. As a result, Katla had quite a few friends among the Nation RPers at the time, and when Izzy headhunted her for Naqam, she wasn't hard to ask. This led to some awesome times.

Since the return of Sansha himself, however, and the escalation of the war between the Nation and CONCORD, Katla has felt pretty sidelined in the middle of it all. From her own personal perspective, she's caught in the middle of not one, but two civil wars (Faction Warfare and the resurgent CONCORD-Nation war). She doesn't really know what to do with herself anymore, and so often ends up doing not very much at all, besides impotently wishing that this whole bloody mess would just stop. Both IC and OOC, she remains in Naqam partly because there's not really any better available alternative, and partly because of personal loyalty to other characters and the players behind them.

Although the feeling of having painted myself into a corner while playing her is frustrating sometimes, it does still allow for good roleplay. On the plus side, she's beginning to lower her shoulders and relax for a bit for the first time in years, and although this development is in significant part rooted in resignation, it does allow for the resurgence of a more pleasant and human side to her. She's beginning to make friends again outside of her alliance, which is a development I am enjoying greatly.

Now, to Ruby. Why do I play Ruby?

First off, I don't play her enough, and I know it. But I absolutely, completely love her as a character. She's my own special snowflake vanity project, and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit it. I conceived of her during the end days of AST-F, as I recall, as I became increasingly fascinated with Sansha's Nation, and the wonderful region description of Esoteria was something that really caught my interest. Adding a touch of complexity to the Nation by promoting the idea of Esoteria serving as a cultural counterpoint of sorts to Stain was something that really appealed to me. As was the idea of playing a character who, despite being essentially good-hearted, had grown up in a society which was sufficiently alien that some of the things she'd do with the best of intentions would still come off as horrendously creepy to the average outsider.

In a way it touches on Samira's reference to Vampire: the Masquerade's alternate paths of Morality, above. While the Vampire games themselves never served as inspiration for Ruby, Changeling: the Lost (by far the gem of the nWoD games) certainly did. Tomorrowland Orphanage is a strange, surreal cybernetic wonderland where lost and abandoned children, with careful coaching and cybernetic upgrades, are transformed into beautiful, talented creatures capable of realizing their true creative potential - or horrible, inhuman abominations, all in the eye of the beholder.

I chose to make her Ni-Kunni mainly for two reasons. First, and most importantly, Ni-Kunni women had access to an all-over-the-place hairstyle and a spooky veil-like tattoo that covered the entire upper half of their face, both of which I thought seemed perfect for Ruby. Second, I wanted to have a valid explanation for why she was trained as a capsuleer in Empire space, and decided that giving her the Ni-Kunni "Border Runner" background would have served as a good, hard-to-verify cover story (along with a few hefty bribes) to get her through the training without triggering the Sansha alarm. While the school representatives taking the bribes would definitely know there was something shady in her past, they'd have no reason to assume it was significantly more shady than that of your average actual Border Runner.

I definitely need to play her more. Hm.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 19 Jun 2013, 21:42 »

To answer some of the questions from the op, I saw the 'Cyberknight' background when they added the Khanid bloodline, and had a vision, a vision of a geriatric cyberknight pirate of gnome-like proportions with a serious substance abuse problem and an unshakable conviction that he was in fact a Brutor. I felt that Eve would be a better place with him in it, so I selflessly bought a power of two account and created him.

I always knew Hilion was awesome, but it never struck me just how awesome until I read this.

Thank you for making him.  :D
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #48 on: 20 Jun 2013, 03:07 »

Fun fact: I originally rolled Caldari.

This was a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.  Trial account, messed around a bit, got bored.  Quit.  The character's still around somewhere.

Then the crowd I played Freelancer with (mostly my IC bitter enemies there, amusingly enough) decided to get together to play Eve, invited me along, and said to roll Amarr.  Because lasers.  There might've been something else there, but I think that was the core of it.  So I made Mortis because Khanid looked interesting, and thus was born the Man with the Helmet.

Fast forward a couple of years, and that original group was disintegrating a little.  People were leaving the game or going their own way, so I dove headfirst into recruitment section of the Eve forums.  Slightly surprised at my daring, actually, I'm actually kind of shy, but I'd just come out of a short stint with a nullsec alliance, and was evidently feeling up for dealing with new folks.  So I hunted around for lowsec PvP gubbins, and found an ad for a little group called Ghost Festival.

Then I was like 'wait... there's actual serious RP stuff going on here?'

That led to the interesting problem of working out why a Khanid pilot would muck about in highsec, go rat in Providence as a CVA pet for ages, turn pirate, become a U'K pet to rat sec up, then turn pirate again...

Suffice to say, I managed to fit a backstory together.  Mortis is pretty much me taken to absurd extremes, so he was easy to play; he's quiet, cynical, distinctly creepy and practically emotionless.  I was nervous and very cautious at first, and a fair amount of stuff has been quietly retconned along the way as I realised that no, actually, pretty much everyone's a bit of a psycho in this universe, you fit right in.

The rest of my altswarm evolved around him.  Mostly they were passed off as parts of his network, which worked well enough.  Reppy, though... that's a story for another time.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jun 2013, 11:19 »

Let’s see…

First character (Khanid) was basically just me. I discovered RP, I was intrigued, I read the IGS and almost vomited, ended up RPing anyways. But the character was essentially me at the time – too smart, zero accomplishment, and a bit bitter and angsty about life. I quit RPing much with him and just let him afk his way through lvl 4s in a domi.

Stecker was created to be a pvp alt and was a violent psychopath from the start. Over time she evolved into a more interesting character. Later discovered that she was oblivious Sabik – her personal philosophy already matched that of the Sabik without ever having heard of them. This lead to a mixed response – “Hey, we think the same sorta thing! Cool!” and “What do I need you for? I already know everything you just said.” Stecker had a chance to finally turn Sabik that didn’t quite work out, so she’s just been wandering around, aimlessly.

Why I play the character… I can echo a lot of what Silas said –
But that's the fun; I can run off and occasionally pretend to be a mass murdering psycopath who is steadily losing touch as the years go by and she becomes more isolated with power, and then log off and hang out with the wifey and friends and play records :)
On a semi-related note – [spoiler] I had picked up on some the Sabik leaning stuff from Silas while she was still leading KPV in nullsec and Stecker was getting closer to converting fully to Sabik and remember the IC thought, “Hey, I’ll bet Silas could be converted and would make an awesome Sabik.” In hindsight, lol. [/spoiler]

The difficulty with this being that it’s tough to play a character that’s hot shit when literally everything that character ever touched failed miserably. Derp.

Other characters… I had a Serp loyalist who was born out of an RP scene gone wrong. I was recruited to play someone’s asshole father (I’m not sure it was a compliment that they asked me, but I took it as one anyways) for a scene which the father wasn’t supposed to survive. Do to some serious DERP on the part of the other players, he did, and I decided to see what I could do with this new, morally lacking, self-interested businessman. I ended up enjoying the character, although I had to put in a little bit of potential redemption and heart – I am capable of playing truly soulless characters, but really don’t enjoy it.

And then I had another character, mercenary, who I played a lot like myself, but a year or so after the Khanid, so slightly less depressed and miserable. He was kinda fun. I wish I'd given him more attention.

Having so many characters is part of why I had to quit EVE, and part of why I don’t want to go back. I couldn’t be satisfied with just one toon. I wanted to play the blooder and I wanted to play the serp and I wanted to dable with the Cartel and maybe the guristas (although they didn’t appeal too much) and I wanted to do this and that and the other thing… and then I realized I wasn’t having enough fun to justify four accounts, but couldn’t narrow it down to just one. Splitting my focus probably contributed to the repeated failure of anything I tried to accomplish, while trying to focus on just one character lead to boredom. Catch-22.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:54 »

True story: I started playing Eve to be a miner.

I'll just give you all a moment to let the laughter settle down a bit - but really. What convinced me to give Eve a try was the stuff about 'choose your own career path - be a pirate or a trader or an industrialist' and I have always like the building/resource gathering side of games. I picked Intaki for Intel/Mem/Charisma because I thought 'well, I'm going to be doing science and trading and stuff, not flying ships'. Of course, after a very short period I discovered that you needed to be in an established industrial corp to do all that stuff, because blueprints and lab slots and so on. It didn't occur to me to reroll (I'd invested three weeks of training time!) so I slogged through training Cia up to run missions with the worst stats possible.

The first thing I did when I started playing was check out the IGS and do a bit of googling, which led me to Chatsubo and thence to the Summit and OOC (I knew from the get-go that I wanted to RP, although Eve was the first MMO I'd played since Ultima Online). I vaguely remember having an initial character idea that was quite a bit grimmer and more determined - a Ciarente who would have fit in to the cast of Winter's Bone - but I quickly realized, given that everyone Cia encountered were slavers, pirates, sansha, evil manipulative geniuses or just plain ape-shit crazy, if she was guarded and wary or indeed had even an ounce of self-preservation or a brain in her head, she'd never talk to anyone, ever.

And so the Cia you know was born. I shaved as much off her age as I reasonably could (perhaps too much), slapped a pair of rose-colored glasses on her so she saw the best in everyone (even when it wasn't there) and took advantage of the fact she had rock-bottom perception and will-power in the basement. She would talk to anyone, because *everyone* was really, basically, good, just misunderstood or terribly unhappy; and she would go along with anything, because she had no backbone at all.

A lot of the details of Cia's family background got tweaked around about then because I needed to make her personality credible, at least to myself. I even roped in a friend who's a shrink to get an opinion on what might make her like she was. 

Ultimately, after some traumatic experiences (and a hell of a lot of therapy) she got her head screwed on much better - apart from anything else, I was pushing the bounds of my own suspension of disbelief that she would still trust Celes Tenebrae after ... well, spoilers.

I'm still kinda sad that I no longer get to take her to, say, Blood Raider parties and watch her try and 'respect the cultural traditions', but everyone, even Cia, needs to grow up.

Camille was born as a fully-fledged alt (she'd already appeared in fiction) with my first power-of-two account. She has always been pretty much exactly as she is: she's based on a real child I know who is slightly older than she is so she's grown up a step behind her RL model (who is just as scary but fortunately has far less access to high-powered munitions).  She's a lot of fun to play but also slightly exhausting (and, true story, two keyboards have been replaced due to the ! key crapping out since I created her). She does what she wants and she does it as hard as she can, and she has taken to heart the maxim that it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. It's been interesting to watch her gradually mature (and I do feel as if I am watching her, a lot of the time, because she's so closely based on my god-daughter).

I won't go through all the rest, but I will mention my 'accidental main', Noli. Originally an unskilled alt on Cia's account designed for a single RP event - a supporting character in a story that was really about someone else - she became a regular supporting character, and got moved to another account so she and Cia could attend the same events  :P .  Noli was inspired by the Caldari POW item you can find in-game - the prisoners of the Gallente who have been horrifically abused. Because I try not to make my character's back-stories Clusterwide godmodding, I made her specific imprisonment something that happened on a backwater low-sec station with the tacit consent of station, but not Corporate, authorities. I read everything I could on long-term POWs and long-term hostages to work out how she'd act (and think) after being freed. I also decided almost at random that she'd be a blind mathematician with kinasthesia and it's been a tremendously enjoyable challenge to work out how to consistently RP the way Noli 'sees' the world.  Again, people change (and get better, at least if they get help) and while it's been a long trip back, Noli is now largely over what happened to her, and I'm enjoying RPing her as content - even happy - and ... but spoilers.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]