Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Author Topic: Scripture translations and editions.  (Read 1870 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Scripture translations and editions.
« on: 07 Dec 2010, 07:56 »

So, in a throwaway comment I made, I said that at finishing school, there was a girl from Kador region, who quoted from a scripture and it said something slightly different to what the other girls scriptures said. There were tears and also beatings with sticks at sports in revenge.

It got me thinking, as to the various translations of things - a comparison would be the King James vs the Good News bibles. Both are in English, but they say different things.

We have the CCP written scriptures, but how would you alter things to create various editions?

Obvious things would be Ardishapur being more formal than others, but what would your thoughts be?
\o/

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
Re: Scripture translations and editions.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2010, 09:44 »

The Bible has different English translations because it was originally written in a different language and has been translated several times previously (ie Hebrew to Greek to Latin). 

Add to that the fact that the first "official" Bible (dating from the 4th century IIRC) was itself a translation set a precedent for such things.

Also, remember that the King James version came about for political as well as theological reasons - there was a need to both unify religious orthodoxy between England and Scotland and further distance the Church of England from Rome following the schism in the previous century

I suspect that the Amarrian Scriptures are more akin to the Koran or Torah - namely they're only considered to be authentic in the original language and that there is a whole caste dedicated to producing them in that language

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2010, 09:46 »

But with the evolution of language, and the fact that some Chronicles allude to the inclusion of the Bible in the Amarrian scriptures, wouldn't it make sense that at least some of the older portions need some updating?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2010, 10:39 »

there was also mention in one of the new ingame items I saw, of Minmatar translations of things.

[spoiler]Amarr Scripture Educational Study Packages (Matari Translation)
These study materials provide a guide through the structure and meanings of Amarr holy texts in a way that school-age children can easily understand. Education, like every other aspect of daily life in the Empire, is closely tied into religion, and by the time they leave school, Amarr children are expected to have a working and in-depth understanding of their way of life.
These particular copies have been carefully translated by experts into painfully precise Matari for distribution in the Republic.[/spoiler]

Though that was educational materials, rather than the scriptures themselves.
\o/

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2010, 17:17 »

I'd like to order 1,000,000,000 copies please :)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:19 »

While there might be an issue with translating or at least commentary of the oldest part of the Scripture, there's likely a whole lot of heterodox but not yet heretic sects out there, some of which are bound to keep their own Scripture or legendarium.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:38 »

Maybe I can hook you up. Meet me outside the Basilica later tonight.

<_<

>_>

... Nah, just kidding. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2010, 13:34 »

<_<

>_>

It's been said before, you're a terrible pirate. Remember that cereal?  :P
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2010, 22:15 »

<_<

>_>

It's been said before, you're a terrible pirate. Remember that cereal?  :P

... Hey, it was worth the trip to Myrh's office just for the laughs.

... Or is it the other way around? >.>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.