Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE has been at war with enemies of the empire ever since its foundation?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PF vlogs?  (Read 2379 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
PF vlogs?
« on: 14 Sep 2013, 12:50 »

I have at least one (1) idea for a vlog that talks about EVE lore in general, and figured it'd be a change for me to talk my head off without it being related to myself or community politics. I'll put in pictures relevant to the topic to make it less monotonous.

This be a thread that gauges interest in that. This one idea is about how we view the four factions and what I think could be done to create a more developed and concise universe without compromising on the vastness.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: PF vlogs?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2013, 12:54 »

Hm.  Could you elaborate on that, or do we just have to wait and see the video?

EDIT: I mean, are you thinking about the socio-political stuff in PF, or something else?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2013, 13:01 »

Just the nature of the PF? I guess it would be socio-political. In particular, the lens we view the four factions depending on our own biases versus what CCP intends (e.g. seeing them as RL analogues or instead seeing them according to other sci-fi IPs). The second half would then be critical of the over-sized nature of the universe, like the innumerable amount of urbanized planets, and while this can be beneficial for player worldbuilding, it at the same time makes things obtuse. I'd rant on about the idea of giving the factions a limited number of highly populous worlds that can be deeply developed in the PF, and the rest are just 'colonies'. Of course it's futile, but it'd discuss ideas like that.

I'm debating whether or not it should be a voiceover since this focus is on EVE and not me.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2013, 13:33 »

To the last point, I'd think your voice is clear and smooth enough to do well as a voice over accompaniment to pictures/video clips you might be able to piece together.  Extra love if you put together like, graphs and charts and stuff to illustrate/simplify appropriate points.  I'm a sucker for a good chart, personally.

As far as actual content of the thing goes, I'd be interested in discussions of how Gal/Min are typically seen to be Eve's "natural good guy" factions while Amarr/Cal are seen as "natural bad guy" factions.  I don't have an issue with the Empire of Slavery being cast as villians, but the Caldari aren't anywhere near as cut-and-dried, nor are (in my opinion) the Gallente or Minmatar anywhere near the "good guy" option that they seem to be taken for.  Socially/politically, I think that's always been my biggest beef with the PF and the (general) concensus regarding the four main factions.

So if you're thinking to get into any of that at some point in this vlog project, I'd definitely check it out :)

EDIT: Almost forgot - just thinking about how many planets are actually populated and what's reasonable/realistic for us as RPers to have our capsuleers do from a world-building standpoint, I wish more planets in Eve actually had PF names.  Naming a planet (Say, Auga III, for instance) something I pull out of my ass seems somehow god-modey.  And then what if CCP decides to one day randomly do some big PF "thing" in Auga and they name Auga III something completely different, and then there goes my little sandcastle.  This is probably completely outside of what you're talking about above, Seriphyn, but it's been a minor bitch of mine with CCP's PF for... well, since I had to write the stuff about Havo/Du'uma Fiisi's prison compound for the re-education of his freed slaves years ago.

« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013, 13:37 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2013, 13:34 »

I think it's a good idea, but I'd be more interested in seeing something produced by a team of lore experts rather than something by one person.

Running something through a couple of other people for their input could seriously help with dealing with any perception of bias that might just turn your work into a shouting match. It might also bring people into the audience who would be turned off by something  that might be seen as a fluff opinion piece.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2013, 13:39 »

I voted "get off the internet" in the poll, because I'm an asshole.  Overall, though, while in agreement with Pieter's point, I like the idea of cool videos about PF to nerd out on.

Twitter

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2013, 14:40 »

The academic in me leans more towards raising talking points and ideas rather than a fluff opinion piece; it's for that reason I would do something in video/audio format rather than in text, because I think it's infinitely less possible to misconstrue the points in that format. I'll do a pilot episode and then see how that fares, and possibly getting other people into it as well.

I'll definitely get into morality as well, Havo, especially as a former historian. What CCP have done with EVE is almost an Anti-Sue, i.e. going to such great lengths to avoid the black-and-white mainstream that the grimdark is forcefed to us, and forgetting the fact that a lot of catastrophes happen because of mismanagement or sincere fuckups. This has become a common and good discussion point on this forum that I would like to expand on.

For the timebeing though, I think I'd title the first video as 'Visualization' or something like that.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2013, 15:07 »

Fair enough. I understand the concept of starting small and iterating - I'm just concerned people will see a V-Log from Seri and not be able to get past the meltdowns of the last couple of weeks.

I hope I'm wrong, though, because provided the dispassionate academic focus is intact, this could be an awesome idea!

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2013, 15:42 »

Hey, if I can post in this thread without cussing (well, almost without cussing), anybody can.   :lol:

Twitter

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2013, 15:48 »

I'm writing a script, though the biggest timesink is actually compiling the video with pictures and graphs (Havo asked for it). My eyebrows already fucking hurt from practicing, since I have this habit of bouncing them when I orate.

I hope people will be pleasantly surprised, if only because I don't think anyone else has done a 'EVE lore video' before.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2013, 16:10 »

I'm writing a script, though the biggest timesink is actually compiling the video with pictures and graphs (Havo asked for it).
<3

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, mind.  I just figure there'd probably be precious little usable EVE video to go with the whole thing, and I got the understanding from your OP (correctly or otherwise) that you wanted to do something other than more "Facetime with Seri", so what better for spreadsheets online than... well, spreadsheets and stuff :p  Besides, if you (or anyone) could comb through PF and cite sources to provide a reasonable estimate of different whatevers in whereever (for instance, ratio of Minmatar citizens in the Federation living above the poverty line as opposed to below, if you should ever talk about that topic), then a bar graph would be awesome accompaniment.  Like an OOC New Eden C-Span (or the equivalent in whichever country you live in if you don't get C-Span, BBC X or something, I dunno, I'm rambling).

If it's too much :effort: (which I can imagine it being), I'm not sure what you'd use but w/e.  I get the impression you've been playing with your video editing software long enough to make whatever you do look pretty clean?

Twitter

Desiderya

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2013, 06:17 »

Only if you wear that shirt.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2013, 08:07 »

You know, I think the format used by Feminist Frequency on her videos linked in the thread on the thread about sexism is a good one, with a clear, well written and concise analysis, accompanied by pics and examples all over the video to remind people that the video is about a subject, and not the speaker himself/herself. It also helps to bolster the interest of the guys watching it, it's a lot less boring to have images showing up, things happening on screen, rather than just someone speaking for extended lengths of time, much like it is IRL between a boring dude reading a paper for hours to a room full of people and a guy making a clear presentation with slides, like on TV.

ofc though, it asks for a little more effort :/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2013, 11:50 »

Well, my bedroom walls are a nice red which could be used as the backdrop. Better than living in my own apartment which was a sterile white everywhere. I also have Ulead Media Studio Pro 8 that was 'borrowed' from a friend 6-7 years ago and was never returned. I got quite savvy with it back in the day.

Good idea though, Lyn, I didn't think of that. It was either voiceover or sitting at my desk. I think standing with an empty backdrop would be better.

I promise no jump cuts.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2013, 12:05 »

Only if you wear that shirt.
Even though we were trolling the shit out of you, it really WAS a nice shirt.  Looked good on you.

Twitter
Pages: [1] 2