Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII  (Read 16687 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #60 on: 20 Oct 2015, 07:31 »

"It's true....all of it'   

Great line from Han.

All aboard this fully armed and operational Hype Train

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #61 on: 15 Dec 2015, 14:21 »

Resurrecting the thread as some/many of you might be seeing this in the next few days and wish to discuss!

Please liberally use the *spoiler* tag until after it's been out for a bit, mmk?

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #62 on: 15 Dec 2015, 14:24 »

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYPE

Utari Onzo

« Reply #63 on: 15 Dec 2015, 14:36 »

Mix of hype and apprehension on this. I was hurt deep by YOU-KNOW-WHO-AND-WHAT from the pre-sequals, hoping this time will be better.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #64 on: 15 Dec 2015, 14:47 »

SET TRAIN FOR "HYPE"RSPACE

ENGAGE.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #65 on: 17 Dec 2015, 22:48 »

Very entertaining.

Here's my rankings:

Empire
A New Hope
ROTJ = TFA
Sith
Phantom Menace
Clones

The good:  The cast was fantastic, well chosen, and great all around.
Humor was fantastic, and well written

The bad:  [spoiler]Plot was entirely too much A New Hope for my tastes, but an impossible task for the director and that much money on the line to go too original.
Wanted a bit more 'breathing room' for some of the plot.  A bit too much A to B to C to D with quickness for me.
Too much JJ Abrams 'mystery box' for my tastes.  I hate having 500 unanswered questions and too much shown but not discussed.
Phasma was completley wasted, if you gonna make a badass chrome trooper she better at least pew pew a bunch of rebels first.
Another death star? FFS no more. [/spoiler]

But all in all even with minor gripes easily better than any of the prequels for me ;)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 19 Dec 2015, 03:06 »

Just saw it.

Very pleased overall. Good acting, good writing, lots of character, shortage of wince-inducing moments.

[spoiler]Three-pee-oh can seriously die in a smelter.

Otherwise, quite good. The trailers did a very nice job of not revealing too much about our new resident Sith apprentice. He's quite interesting, not at all cardboard cutout E-ville.

Stormtroopers are given a strange sort of implicit innocence. Finn's a particularly clear case, but it applies to others, as well. Poor indoctrinated souls. This does have the side effect of making Finn sort of surprisingly a bit of a wuss, though; there's an element of "Star Wars 7: The Search for Finn's Spine" in the plot this first time out. It's mildly annoying that his spine (or other bits) mostly perks up when it comes to rescuing damsels in distress. This is fully redeemed by how minimally said damsel requires rescue.

Parallels to "A New Hope" are mostly riffs. There are bits that are played straight (ultra-mega-super Death Star, trench run-type fighter scenario), but a lot of it really isn't. "Rescuing Princess Leia," for example, comes in two flavors, both brief; one involves the "princess" rescuing herself, and the other involves "her" (him) being rescued by an actual stormtrooper.

You can see Han's big moment with his son coming a bajillion miles away (and maybe so can Han), but it doesn't lessen the impact much.

The crosspiece on that red lightsaber is not just for show. Somebody was thinking about all those hilt-to-hilt saber locks he was going to get into.

Could have used more development on a certain silver-armored trooper and on the First Order generally. Also, how the hell do you manage to keep a planet-sized super weapon a secret? That's "planet sized," not merely "planetoid" like those dinky little Death Stars the Empire could never keep under wraps. That thing has some serious plot armor. It beats the hell out of the Sun Crusher, though. More fun, less Mary Sue super weapon. If, you know, Mary Sue can be a super weapon. ... Maybe call this new kid the Sun Slurper?

They actually Alderan-ed Coruscant. Seriously, they did it. Nobody seems to dwell much on it though. There's no line about a million voices crying out in terror, etc.. They don't even mention the planet by name. Also, apparently Coruscant and the Resistance base are really, really close neighbors, 'cause you get to see the apocalyptic skyscape with no waiting. The part of me that wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was a kid was crying a little.

An X-wing pilot has always wanted to try a TIE fighter and has nothing but good things to say about it. Endearing.

"The Resistance?" Seriously?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2015, 12:15 by Aria Jenneth »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #67 on: 19 Dec 2015, 05:34 »

One thing for sure, this new Star Wars is a good start for ANOTHER trilogy.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #68 on: 19 Dec 2015, 13:45 »

Just saw it.

Very pleased overall. Good acting, good writing, lots of character, shortage of wince-inducing moments.

[spoiler]Three-pee-oh can seriously die in a smelter.

Otherwise, quite good. The trailers did a very nice job of not revealing too much about our new resident Sith apprentice. He's quite interesting, not at all cardboard cutout E-ville.

Stormtroopers are given a strange sort of implicit innocence. Finn's a particularly clear case, but it applies to others, as well. Poor indoctrinated souls. This does have the side effect of making Finn sort of surprisingly a bit of a wuss, though; there's an element of "Star Wars 7: The Search for Finn's Spine" in the plot this first time out. It's mildly annoying that his spine (or other bits) mostly perks up when it comes to rescuing damsels in distress. This is fully redeemed by how minimally said damsel requires rescue.

Parallels to "A New Hope" are mostly riffs. There are bits that are played straight (ultra-mega-super Death Star, trench run-type fighter scenario), but a lot of it really isn't. "Rescuing Princess Leia," for example, comes in two flavors, both brief; one involves the "princess" rescuing herself, and the other involves "her" (him) being rescued by an actual stormtrooper.

You can see Han's big moment with his son coming a bajillion miles away (and maybe so can Han), but it doesn't lessen the impact much.

The crosspiece on that red lightsaber is not just for show. Somebody was thinking about all those hilt-to-hilt saber locks he was going to get into.

Could have used more development on a certain silver-armored trooper and on the First Order generally. Also, how the hell do you manage to keep a planet-sized super weapon a secret? That's "planet sized," not merely "planetoid" like those dinky little Death Stars the Empire could never keep under wraps. That thing has some serious plot armor. It beats the hell out of the Sun Crusher, though. More fun, less Mary Sue super weapon. If, you know, Mary Sue can be a super weapon. ... Maybe call this new kid the Sun Slurper?

They actually Alderan-ed Coruscant. Seriously, they did it. Nobody seems to dwell much on it though. There's no line about a million voices crying out in terror, etc.. They don't even mention the planet by name. Also, apparently Coruscant and the Resistance base are really, really close neighbors, 'cause you get to see the apocalyptic skyscape with no waiting. The part of me that wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was a kid was crying a little.

An X-wing pilot has always wanted to try a TIE fighter and has nothing but good things to say about it. Endearing.

"The Resistance?" Seriously?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Actually it wasn't Coruscant, it was the HQ system for the new republic, H-something.  I thought it was coruscant at first as well but check all the spoiler talkbacks they were clear on the name of the place they vaporized[/spoiler]

But yea fun overall ;)

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #69 on: 19 Dec 2015, 14:14 »

I HATE NOT BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT SPOILER TABS UGH
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #70 on: 19 Dec 2015, 14:44 »

Just saw it tonight.

I liked it the most of the 7 movies, but Empire is still the better constructed one. This one is incredibly rushed, tries to pack in too much, relies too much on telling the state of the universe instead of showing it (with regard to the New Republic and First Order, mainly), the music is forgettable (rather a shame for a series known for its epic music scores), and it relies way too much on 'X-But-Not-Really' moments (Tatoonie-but-not-the-Tatooine, Yavin-but-not-the-Yavin, Cantina-but-not-the-Cantina, Vader-but-not-the-Vader, etc.) I mostly forgive the latter because it's a standard trope for Star Wars products these days, from everything from the EU novels to KotOR and TOR.

I loved the plot and the new characters though (but still sad that Wedge became Poe because of RL licensing issues. I kept imagining Poe's scenes as Wedge). I also cried at the you-know-what part, even though I knew it was coming.

[spoiler]I am very mad though that they ruined that bit by having the unnecessary Rey-Kylo fight in the snow. That fight should been saved for the sequel. They built up Chewie's bowcaster's power throughout the movie, Kylo being blasted in the gut by it by Rage!Chewie should have been Kylo's final scene for this movie. It would have made that whole bit a lot more powerful.[/spoiler]

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #71 on: 19 Dec 2015, 19:08 »

To my knowledge, that was basically the point.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #72 on: 20 Dec 2015, 11:37 »

To my knowledge, that was basically the point.

It is hard to overestimate the amount of SW product synergy headed towards the public right now with the Disney deal.

If you weren't aware, they are releasing a new SW movie every single year for the next 10-12 years (Rogue One, etc), combined with various tv shows, cartoons, toys, books, comics, etc.

Will be interesting to see at what point the over saturated market can handle cramming even more SW material down its throat.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #73 on: 07 Jan 2016, 15:16 »

Good Points:
Rey, Finn and Poe are good new characters.
Leia, Chewie and Han are good old characters.
Not one mention of Midichlorians, The Force is back to an invisible and all-encompassing energy field.

Bad Points:
[spoiler]Supreme Leader's name made him sound like an accountant.
General Hux was entirely too smug for a member of an order 'rising from the ashes'
Could have used another five minutes of 'wookie rage' after Han died
New Death Star even more improbably designed than Old Death Stars - and without the economic/industrial backing of a Galactic Empire to build it.[/spoiler]

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #74 on: 09 Jan 2016, 00:20 »

I never really cared for star wars until I saw this new one.  Felt real and visceral and not derpy.  Easily my favorite.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6