Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis stole one of the six Soltueur-class Titans from the Gallente Federation?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII  (Read 16686 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2015, 11:31 »

Sometimes I imagine Santa Claus riding a flying T-Rex coming down from the heavens pelting money and free cupcakes at the poor and miserable of the world.

Then I imagine the reaction on this board. The joy is sucked out the dream quicker than brains in Starship Troopers.

Seriously, this is like the only nerdy haven in my entire life where people are this 'meh' over this.

But then super-fanboi-funtime over here so, confusion is to be expected.

Sorry, N'maro. I am a colossal fan of the EU in all it's awful, glorious splendor, and I cannot forgive Disney for just tossing it out on the street rather than trying to rescue all but the worst of it.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:15 »

I thought the EU was never 'official' canon, anyway? Lucas had already tossed the entire EU out when he said that, other than the Clone Wars show, even official star wars novels, tech specs and games were considered non-canon and that the movies basically stood completely alone.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:19 »

What you have to remember is that:

[spoiler]Alderaan shot first.

[spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2015, 13:00 »

The 'new' x-wings are actually the original xwings

explain ?

liek, these x-wings we are seeing in this trailer, are closer to the original concept art ?

Exactly this, let me find examples. 

Like, the original designs for Chewbacca are being reused for the alien companion in the Star Wars: Rebels cartoon.

The original concepts for the xwings are what they are using for the 'new' xwings.

The Force Awakens and IP managers now are going back to the 'source' for a lot of the 'new' designs.

I think it's a smart strategy, it provides a lot of connective tissue and you don't get what was majority garbage in the prequels.

http://www.slashfilm.com/ralph-mcquarrie-force-awakens/2/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2015, 13:06 »

Sometimes I imagine Santa Claus riding a flying T-Rex coming down from the heavens pelting money and free cupcakes at the poor and miserable of the world.

Then I imagine the reaction on this board. The joy is sucked out the dream quicker than brains in Starship Troopers.

Seriously, this is like the only nerdy haven in my entire life where people are this 'meh' over this.

But then super-fanboi-funtime over here so, confusion is to be expected.

Sorry, N'maro. I am a colossal fan of the EU in all it's awful, glorious splendor, and I cannot forgive Disney for just tossing it out on the street rather than trying to rescue all but the worst of it.

Post trilogy EU: BOOOOOO. DOWN WITH ALL THE THINGS :P

I for one am just peachy they've tossed it all. The EU was a bloated mess rivaled maybe only by Star Trek.  :P

Lyn Farel

« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2015, 13:27 »

I thought the EU was never 'official' canon, anyway? Lucas had already tossed the entire EU out when he said that, other than the Clone Wars show, even official star wars novels, tech specs and games were considered non-canon and that the movies basically stood completely alone.

It was just words. It made me worried at the time when he said that because I was expecting him to just toss it because it got in the way of potential new marketing opportunities for him. I was scared to see them discard stuff at will to just create more new shit instead. But it was just that, words. As long as nothing forceful came about and necessitated to wipe clean half of the EU, it was the usual really : new comics, novels, etc, coming out in the same usual fashion and filling the EU still a bit more.

Until Disney got to it. I would not mind much for the novels, since most are really mediocre, or just terrible. The ones I would surely miss would be a few of them like Zahn's novels.

I would be a lot more pissed for the comics, though. Half if not more of those comics are actually decent to extremely good (Ostrander's especially, but also a few other gems as well, like in the kotor era, dating back to 1992).

And for some of the old games too.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2015, 13:32 »

It was just words. It made me worried at the time when he said that because I was expecting him to just toss it because it got in the way of potential new marketing opportunities for him. I was scared to see them discard stuff at will to just create more new shit instead. But it was just that, words. As long as nothing forceful came about and necessitated to wipe clean half of the EU, it was the usual really : new comics, novels, etc, coming out in the same usual fashion and filling the EU still a bit more.

Until Disney got to it. I would not mind much for the novels, since most are really mediocre, or just terrible. The ones I would surely miss would be a few of them like Zahn's novels.

I would be a lot more pissed for the comics, though. Half if not more of those comics are actually decent to extremely good (Ostrander's especially, but also a few other gems as well, like in the kotor era, dating back to 1992).

You'll be pleased to know that quite a bit of some of the KOTOR ancient sith lord stuff will be very much a part of EP 7.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2015, 13:37 »

Lucas made a lot of (often contradictory) statements about the canonicity of various things. The official doctrine is a complicated system of 'tiers' of canon, with higher tiers overruling lower ones and older material overruling new. Most of the EU exists in the middle tier, with the movies existing above it but older, ill-fitting material from before there was a conscious effort to maintain continuity existing below it (free to be retconned).

The thing I liked about the EU was how involved it was. You had a lot of bad, yes, but there were also a lot of people who looked at the piles of different stories they were given and tried to wring a solid, interconnected universe out of them. They wrote technical diagnostics, cataloged ship designs and capabilities, and compiled planetary histories from spatters of lore; they weren't driven by anything but a love of the setting and the stories they worked on. And very often their efforts were recognized and included.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2015, 13:42 »

As long as it remains good and respectful to the original flavorful work that was done on the era. I will never forgive bioware for desecrating that specific lore with their MMO. Their first RPG was very respectful and proved to be a work of fans of the original Golden Age of the Sith and Kotor series, but what they did after was... unforgivable in my book.

To be honest my very sceptic view I had at first towards the new saga has changed a lot since then. I am very intrigued and hopeful. I see that they have their mind in the right place and want to come back to the roots. I have just decades of shit and lore desecrating stuff behind not to be extremely cautious with everything SW related. Also, I do not trust JJ Abrams the slightest bit.

Also, where did you see that about references to the old republic era ?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2015, 13:47 by Lyn Farel »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2015, 20:15 »

You'll be pleased to know that quite a bit of some of the KOTOR ancient sith lord stuff will be very much a part of EP 7.

Then again, KOTOR was so good it would be stupid not to take stuff from it to further flesh out the setting.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 22 Apr 2015, 07:59 »

As long as it remains good and respectful to the original flavorful work that was done on the era. I will never forgive bioware for desecrating that specific lore with their MMO. Their first RPG was very respectful and proved to be a work of fans of the original Golden Age of the Sith and Kotor series, but what they did after was... unforgivable in my book.

To be honest my very sceptic view I had at first towards the new saga has changed a lot since then. I am very intrigued and hopeful. I see that they have their mind in the right place and want to come back to the roots. I have just decades of shit and lore desecrating stuff behind not to be extremely cautious with everything SW related. Also, I do not trust JJ Abrams the slightest bit.

Also, where did you see that about references to the old republic era ?

Minor Spoiler
[spoiler]There's a reason Kylo Ren is wearing basically Revan's faceplate.  From what I've been reading there's a lot of connection between some old republic business and the new movies.   There's going to be sith temples, there's going to be ancient sith lords, shit going to go down.
[/spoiler]

Mega Major Spoilers do not read if you don't want to spoil the fucking movie.  Too late for me, it is. Choosen poorly, have I.

[spoiler]-Nothing ended up exactly happily ever after after the Battle of Endor. The remnants of the Empire regrouped (now called the First Order), and the Rebels consolidated (Now called The Resistance). Think of it more like a cold war between two governments. The galaxy is back to shades of grey with competing factions and shifting allegiances between the two power blocks, etc.
-Most of the movie follows our main characters and revolves around getting Luke's original lightsaber back to him, it's sort of the McGuffin the plot moves around, giving our new younger movie leads a tie to the older cast. Luke has been in seclusion and self exile since not long after Endor.
-Our new hero in the stormtrooper armor was conscripted by the Empire against his will, he participates in a village massacre early in the film and gets thrown in the brig for not wanting to pew pew the civilians.  In the brig he meets Po and they escape together (the hangar getting shot up by the tie fighter).  They end up on the desert planet and meet Kira (Leah and Han's daughter, who is there undercover to pick up Luke's saber (long story).  Jedi shit is mad scarce at this point and all super valuable and important.
-The main baddie Kyko Ren (Adam Driver) is actually Han Solo's Son.  Assembling and collecting ancient Sith and Jedi artifacts. That image of Vader's melted helmet is from Kylo's private quarters.  There just might be ancient sith lords possessing and/or influencing him.  You'll recognize this Sith guy from one of the last eps of the Clone Wars show, the sith lord Yoda confronts in the samurai outfit.
-Solo doesn't make it out of the movie alive, cut down by Kylo near the end of the film, Han buys time for the movie heroes to escape the final showdown.  Harrison ford was basically only going to do this movie if they would finally kill han solo.
-Kylo's lightsaber looks shitty because it's hand made by him, improperly, etc.
-Luke is barely in this movie aside from an extended flashback sequence, and at the end.
-Luke does set up a new Jedi academy after Endor, but long story short shit goes down, all the new padawans get murdered, Luke blames himself, exiles himself.  I've heard a few different versions of this part of the movie.  One version basically has luke becoming too powerful and unable to control himself, and he exiles because he can't control his abilities and he's just all dune god emperor.  The other is more of the sith stuff killing the students.  in any case he's not in the movie much, him and leah are more in part 2 and 3.  The flashback of the luke stuff you see briefly in the trailer, when luke puts his hands on r2, that's basically after witnessing all the dead padawans.

There is much epic space pew pew between Resistance / Empire.  They both have built new 'superweapons' and they go at it.  The Empire HQ is on an ice planet like hoth (seen in the trailer) There is much consternation that Leah would support building a terror weapon to combat the Empire, but think of it like USA / USSR with mutually assured destruction nuclear weapons.    If I remember right the Resistance's superweapon does not go well during the battle.

The climactic battle is at the ancient sith temple, yadda yadda pew pew solo dies good guys have to flee.  I've heard various versions of this fight, one being this is where Luke shows up and goes all jedi master apeshit on Kylo and cuts him to shit, forcing his 'cyborg' look from the concept art.  Other version is Kylo 'wins' here and the good guys flee after Solo dies.  Movie ends with handing Luke back his saber.

I missed a ton of stuff but these are the bullet points. [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2015, 08:23 by Silas Vitalia »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #56 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:57 »

I started to read the megaspoilers but I managed to stop pretty soon, fortunately.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #57 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:59 »

I started to read the megaspoilers but I managed to stop pretty soon, fortunately.

Tempting, the dark side is.

:twisted:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #58 on: 22 Apr 2015, 13:37 »

\o/

Nissui

« Reply #59 on: 19 Oct 2015, 22:19 »

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Official)

Trying not to have expectations... it is proving difficult.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6