Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: It took a really big hose, but...  (Read 9782 times)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: It took a really big hose, but...
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jan 2014, 14:56 »

It is a meta brand marketing thing (literally, the metagame of EVE's lore in relation to people outside of the game who don' know the lore for brand recognition of EVE Online), same way only certain Amarr houses ever get mentioned and people forget that Khanid are "evil Amarr" who enslave Gallente pop stars as sex slaves.  Because the generic view is Amarr are evil, so how can there be an evil Amarr?  This implies good Amarrians and rar slaves cotton the south rar rar rar...

Therefore let's ignore they exist. 

And props to anyone who still plays anything remotely associated with the Ammatar Mandate.  Serious props.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 15:00 by Arista Shahni »

Makoto Priano

« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2014, 16:26 »

Brand-wise, I get the impression that CCP spun up vanity goods for basically all major factions/corps, and Marketing just happened to seize on Ishu instead of KK-- though isn't the free vanity Heron with sign-ups a Sukuuvesta-skinned Heron?

Anywho. I'm currently going through news items and tagging them for faction, so that I can get an estimate of relative news. Currently, it looks like Caldari are the big winners, mostly because of Heth, while Gallente > Minmatar > Amarr. I'll hopefully have numbers by the end of the afternoon.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan 2014, 16:54 »

I wonder if someday they will issue an Ammatar Fleet ship of some kind...

Bleh, don't bother. If they do it's gonna be something probably as useless as the faction itself.

And props to anyone who still plays anything remotely associated with the Ammatar Mandate.  Serious props.

Lol, those useless, spineless race traitor slaving backstabbers...

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #63 on: 30 Jan 2014, 16:57 »

Veik has a point that TonyG did focus on using Ishukone as the "Good Guys" in the novels, and tended to throw in things much opposed to what was previously established PF. He even contradicted his own PF by portraying Gariushi as a bleeding heart in The Empyrean Age, compared to the slick-rick scheming bastard he was in the Creliere story. He followed it up by making Reppola seem more like an emotionally withered man completely unsuited for the job of CEO, despite being a career executive beforehand.

But perhaps it only seems so in comparison to Gariushi, widely credited as one of Ishukone's greatest. Especially when compared to one of the greatest Chief Executives in Caldari history: Kaalakiota's Hatakaan Oiritsuu. It may in fact be that a vast majority Caldari CEOs are comparable to Mens Reppola, while people like Gariushi and Oiritsuu are the stuff of legend because they are so ridiculously rare.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #64 on: 30 Jan 2014, 18:37 »

If there's one think that made Ishukone stand out to me so far, and I barely catch the news as it goes by, it's that I don't always associate them with the state.  The other corps probably don't deserve me just shrugging and figuring they're all a distinct flavor in the mush, but that's how it is.  It might just be that I've always found Ishukone players to be a lot more dynamic and fluid, so I suppose they tend to rise above the static a bit more often.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2014, 19:05 »

If there's one think that made Ishukone stand out to me so far, and I barely catch the news as it goes by, it's that I don't always associate them with the state.

Hence the problem.

What Ishukone needs is more underhanded tactics that screw over the Federation like Creliere, and less white-knighting in the news.

Caldari Prime is the perfect opportunity for Ishukone to be "accused" for "alleged" shenanigans. Messing with Gallente Districts, forcing unfair trade practices, poaching workers from across the side, spy games, widespread censorship of all Gallentean media that tries to cross the border, etc. The Federation could respond by attempting sanctions or prosecution only to find they are illegal sanctions because Ishukone are playing within the laws of the Federation and cannot be sanctioned or prosecuted for being unfairly good at it.

The Caldari Prime situation has the potential to be an East/West Germany situation on a planetary scale. Instead of Ishukone simply getting along and being totes friendly with everybody, Ishukone needs to be sucking money and freedom out of the Gallentean districts by doing arcane business/political stuff. The entire purpose of Caldari Liberals is for them to get close with the Federation and screw them over at their own game under their own laws. Rather than simply (or obviously) breaking Federation laws and hiding behind the legal shield of the entire State like the Practicals, Liberals simply screw them over legally or quasi-legally through a mixture of means and hide behind the Federation's legal shield.

Take the Intaki Agreement for example. It was a huge sucker punch for the Federation, seeing their Navy fleet turned away because Ishukone convinced the locals that they were the better option. The Federation couldn't do a damn thing about it either, because it was all completely legal.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 19:10 by Katrina Oniseki »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jan 2014, 19:35 »

Veik has a point that TonyG did focus on using Ishukone as the "Good Guys" in the novels, and tended to throw in things much opposed to what was previously established PF. He even contradicted his own PF by portraying Gariushi as a bleeding heart in The Empyrean Age, compared to the slick-rick scheming bastard he was in the Creliere story. He followed it up by making Reppola seem more like an emotionally withered man completely unsuited for the job of CEO, despite being a career executive beforehand.

But perhaps it only seems so in comparison to Gariushi, widely credited as one of Ishukone's greatest. Especially when compared to one of the greatest Chief Executives in Caldari history: Kaalakiota's Hatakaan Oiritsuu. It may in fact be that a vast majority Caldari CEOs are comparable to Mens Reppola, while people like Gariushi and Oiritsuu are the stuff of legend because they are so ridiculously rare.

I think the issue is that prior to Tony G it felt like that Ishukone only played nice with the foreigners because it was PR that they didn't actually believe in. For Caldari that seems appropriate and in-line with their thinking: screwing over the fucking foreigners with a smiling face while you stab them in the back for your own benefit? Admirable cunning right there. It was a sort of unspoken aspect of: "We Caldari know what you're doing Ishukone but those blind idealists don't. Good job." With Tony G and into today, the impression that's given is that Ishukone actually believes their own propaganda of being nice, friendly, and seeking win/win scenarios with non-Caldari - sometimes to their own detriment.

I mean in terms of domestic politics, it could be seen that Ishukone has survived by playing upon the partisanship and conflict between KK/Patriots and SuVee/Practicals in the CEP and that so long as they're both focused on each other then Ishukone and the Liberals can exist in the space between. Right now however, it looks like Ishukone has managed to shaft KK by leaving them out in the cold with their deals with the Federation forcing them to have to sort out the mess of the war and the blind auction debacle in addition to potentially causing SuVee to look at the profitability of its territorial deals with the Intaki and its ownership of Caldari Prime (also by making deals with the Fed) as Ishukone moving into its traditional portfolio.

The Caldari Megas are more than willing to screw each other over, but that's usually one at a time, and Ishukone having broken ranks to negotiate their own terms with the Fed for their own benefit and advantage looks like it's also managed to screw over practically everyone else in the State that still have to foot the bills for the war and find themselves with lost trade opportunities abroad.

It might or might not be significant that not a single other Megacorp. CEO provided commentary on something as stated to have been significant as the Malkalen attack in the current article. Not even Hyasyoda that in the past usually did.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2014, 19:45 »

I think the issue is that prior to Tony G it felt like that Ishukone only played nice with the foreigners because it was PR that they didn't actually believe in. For Caldari that seems appropriate and in-line with their thinking: screwing over the fucking foreigners with a smiling face while you stab them in the back for your own benefit? Admirable cunning right there. It was a sort of unspoken aspect of: "We Caldari know what you're doing Ishukone but those blind idealists don't. Good job." With Tony G and into today, the impression that's given is that Ishukone actually believes their own propaganda of being nice, friendly, and seeking win/win scenarios with non-Caldari - sometimes to their own detriment.

I mean in terms of domestic politics, it could be seen that Ishukone has survived by playing upon the partisanship and conflict between KK/Patriots and SuVee/Practicals in the CEP and that so long as they're both focused on each other then Ishukone and the Liberals can exist in the space between. Right now however, it looks like Ishukone has managed to shaft KK by leaving them out in the cold with their deals with the Federation forcing them to have to sort out the mess of the war and the blind auction debacle in addition to potentially causing SuVee to look at the profitability of its territorial deals with the Intaki and its ownership of Caldari Prime (also by making deals with the Fed) as Ishukone moving into its traditional portfolio.

The Caldari Megas are more than willing to screw each other over, but that's usually one at a time, and Ishukone having broken ranks to negotiate their own terms with the Fed for their own benefit and advantage looks like it's also managed to screw over practically everyone else in the State that still have to foot the bills for the war and find themselves with lost trade opportunities abroad.

I think my suggestions could be the saving grace for what you describe right there. It's still possible to salvage the situation by making it look like the entire thing was just a ploy to gain the Federation's trust again. A few token gestures to the "Reconstruction" effort for the war would also be appreciated. Now that Heth is gone, I think it is time for Ishukone to consider coming back to the dysfunctional household and resolving differences. They no longer need to be the Black Sheep if the cards are played correctly.

It might or might not be significant that not a single other Megacorp. CEO provided commentary on something as stated to have been significant as the Malkalen attack in the current article. Not even Hyasyoda that in the past usually did.

Color me curious as to what you're thinking.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2014, 20:39 »

Was it ever revealed what happened with that disappearing Ishukone Watch Scorpion over Caldari Prime or how exactly the Gurista managed to abscond with an Ishukone owned Freighter? There's a few loose ends involving Ishukone deals with the Fed and others against Heth like that still unresolved and maybe the Highlander leaks about Caldari management colluding with the FIO are the beginning of their resolution?

Who knows really, just idle speculation on my part.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #69 on: 30 Jan 2014, 21:27 »

Ishuscorp showed up in a capsuleer's hangar.

IIRC the person who won some poker tournament at Fanfest 2012? I don't remember exactly.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Publius Valerius

• Egger
« Reply #70 on: 30 Jan 2014, 21:36 »

Thats how I saw the liberal bloc as well. I mean like you and Kat. As mention here. So I totally agree with both of you.

I think my suggestions could be the saving grace for what you describe right there. It's still possible to salvage the situation by making it look like the entire thing was just a ploy to gain the Federation's trust again. A few token gestures to the "Reconstruction" effort for the war would also be appreciated. Now that Heth is gone, I think it is time for Ishukone to consider coming back to the dysfunctional household and resolving differences. They no longer need to be the Black Sheep if the cards are played correctly.

Uff hard to do, because it had been done alot of damage. On the other hand the Immersion team had saved/reworded already other stuff from the books. By the way which is a harder task to do as it sounds, so my hand and love goes to the immersion team; for the work they could pull of in some cases. Nevertheless, this is a case where I could think, I IS POSSIBLE TO DO. MEANING to explain the past behavior and motivations. Will think about it, If I come up with something I maybe make a new thread.

Publius Valerius

• Egger
« Reply #71 on: 30 Jan 2014, 21:41 »

It is a meta brand marketing thing (literally, the metagame of EVE's lore in relation to people outside of the game who don' know the lore for brand recognition of EVE Online), same way only certain Amarr houses ever get mentioned and people forget that Khanid are "evil Amarr" who enslave Gallente pop stars as sex slaves.  Because the generic view is Amarr are evil, so how can there be an evil Amarr?  This implies good Amarrians and rar slaves cotton the south rar rar rar...

Me too. I think I ones gave kisses and hugs for Lyn for doing so (playing in the Ammatar faction). As for the Khanid Kingdom, I see it like you. Actually every Amarr RP should be happy that they exist.... to point fingers and say.... they are even worse. :D (and they arent a part of use. *cough*). Minmatar listen. They -- the Khanids -- dont fight for your individual salvation. http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Slavery#Societal_View_2
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 21:49 by Publius Valerius »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #72 on: 30 Jan 2014, 21:42 »

Ishuscorp showed up in a capsuleer's hangar.

IIRC the person who won some poker tournament at Fanfest 2012? I don't remember exactly.

Yes, that rings a vague bell. I guess it was space magic \o/

Some days I wonder what's the actual point to the in-game news articles anymore if it's just there for marketing or patch-day theme tie-ins.  :psyccp:

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #73 on: 30 Jan 2014, 21:48 »

...people forget that Khanid are "evil Amarr" who enslave Gallente pop stars as sex slaves.  Because the generic view is Amarr are evil, so how can there be an evil Amarr?  This implies good Amarrians and rar slaves cotton the south rar rar rar...

Which is great if you play a Khanid PC.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2014, 22:08 »

...people forget that Khanid are "evil Amarr" who enslave Gallente pop stars as sex slaves.  Because the generic view is Amarr are evil, so how can there be an evil Amarr?  This implies good Amarrians and rar slaves cotton the south rar rar rar...

Which is great if you play a Khanid PC.

Yup, pretty much.  Though Capsuleers are generally more "worldly" in clusterwide viewpoints, they weren't born 'enlightened'.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6