Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The founder of Zainou Biotech, Todo Kirkinen, was the first person to have his mind transfered into a machine? Ishukone owns a majority stake of Zainou.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeper RP: Viable? [TEMPLAR ONE SPOILERS]  (Read 4410 times)

Random Sentience

Sleeper RP: Viable? [TEMPLAR ONE SPOILERS]
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 13:34 »

So, is Sleeper RP viable? If so, what would be acceptable limits to deter godmoding? What type of RP would be viable? What character concepts and archetypes would make sense? Would there be multiple factions vying to manipulate mankind?

Just interested in some feedback and opinions. :)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Sleeper RP: Viable? [TEMPLAR ONE SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 13:35 »

Please don't. Anybody.

That's my opinion.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 13:47 »

I did very briefly toy with the idea a while ago, but the catastrophic chain of events that would've set it off didn't happen, and I concluded that it was dumb anyway.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 14:32 »

Please don't. Anybody.

That's my opinion.

Seconded, oh so very seconded.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012, 22:05 »

While the enthusiasm to approach something new and dynamic is commendable, the sleepers are just a step too far for any char to reasonably RP.

I havnt read Templar One yet, but as far as I know, the Sleepers are still sleeping, which kind of knocks it on the head as far as RP goes.

Perhaps a sleeper researcher?
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012, 22:09 »

As with anything in EVE, it depends on what lengths you are willing to go to in order to construct your RP in a widely accessible way.

RPing as a true Sleeper would be, I think, a order of magnitude so high that no one would really find out you ARE a Sleeper until The Big Reveal occurs. They are an ancient culture comparable to the Jovians, and any distinct characteristics of Sleepers would be hard for people to figure out without basically slapping them in the face with it.

Basically, you could do it, but doing it in a believable way basically means why not use a contemporary race instead?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Garion Avarr

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:35 »

I'm going to hold off on fully answering until I finish Templar One so that I can actually answer properly.

However:

Basically, you could do it, but doing it in a believable way basically means why not use a contemporary race instead?

Sometimes it's fun to have a character be Not Who They Seem To Be, even if no one knows and won't know for a few years if ever.

Random Sentience

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2012, 20:04 »

Thanks for the input so far, and I do appreciate it. I also understand the initial "Dear God, NO!" response.  ;)

I'm working up a more in-depth post as to what I propose, because I don't think that "Sleeper RP" is as descriptive as it should be. As Ghost points out, it would be rather complex and long term. It would also involve a lot of secrecy, but in the end I think it could open up a lot of possibilities for RP outside of just "OMGICICLEPEEPZ". My "Nikiruu" character was a sort of dry run for this kind of RP, and one that was far more in the open than what I intend to do moving forward. I also would like this to be far more "interactive" and not one crazy loner's attempt at a "Project Mayhem".  :yar:

Anyways, please feel free to make suggestions. I believe that if it is done right and with proper concern for the RP community as a whole this is a viable RP direction. While I understand the initial responses, I would like to challenge you to make your case more in-depth. Why do you feel this way? What suggestions do you have for an alternative? If you never knew a character was influenced by "Sleepers", what would your response be if one day you found out that even one action you took was due to their behind-the-scenes machinations?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2012, 05:53 »

Sometimes it's fun to have a character be Not Who They Seem To Be, even if no one knows and won't know for a few years if ever.

Of course, this is why I have been playing a char that has never stated her true loyalties for all these years, and probably nobody knows ICly (one or two might have some clues at best). But its not a sleeper, a rogue drone, or even a rouge drone...

Jev North

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2012, 06:16 »

or even a rouge drone...
Lies. Naraka intelligence has long been aware of your connections to the power-hungry cabal known as the CreoDron Luxury Products Division, Personal Grooming and Beauty subgroup.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2012, 06:44 by Jev North »

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:18 »

Someone should get around to putting rouge drones in PF.  And maybe that Creo-Dron division.  Possibly also the Fed-produced children's show that features animated rouge and other personal grooming drones in adventures meant to illustrate the importance of nice hair, fresh breath and effective deodorant.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2012, 17:49 »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Random Sentience

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2012, 18:09 »

Perhaps a sleeper researcher?

This is an acceptable compromise.

:twisted:

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:14 »

Rouge drones

It's even funnier when you note who the contributors for the page are. :lol:

Top Contributors For This Page

* Vol sharae [1]
    * CCP Ginger [1]
    * CCP Abraxas [1]
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: [1] 2