Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Reasoning Behind Body Modifications?  (Read 4073 times)

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
Re: Reasoning Behind Body Modifications?
« Reply #15 on: 07 Apr 2011, 20:01 »

I don't have an alt from another race (Baxter is my sole character) so I can't speak with full confidence on this, but it seems to me that the Caldari Deteis tattoos are very subdued by comparison to the other races. There is no full face-paint getup: going off the top of my head from redoing Baxter last night, I remember a barcode-type, one involving two lines, another involving three lines, and I don't remember the fourth.

None of them were large, none were flashy. It's what you'd expect from people who have been raised in a society that was born from hardship (reference Svetlana Scarlet's "Foundations of the Caldari" for details; I know it's not PF but it's damned good). Flashy bling would probably not be seen as socially-acceptable unless you're the billionaire CEO living in the penthouse suite (i.e. the CEO from the beginning of The Empyrean Age; the one with the Gallente strippers).

That being said I do agree with Grayson. These are not functional items (the 1940s comment did make me laugh by the way :lol: ) but rather decorations by choice. This ties into my societal point: if you want a tattoo in Caldari society, where there's emphasis on practicality and a martial-like atmosphere, you don't want something that's going to turn heads.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2011, 20:03 by Cmdr Baxter »

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2011, 03:50 »

I'm not decided about should i use those modifications, how for example can one explane he got that scar, and it not beaing from pre-capsuleer life ?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 Apr 2011, 05:21 »

I'm not decided about should i use those modifications, how for example can one explane he got that scar, and it not beaing from pre-capsuleer life ?

Either you're in your original (Mata would say "real") body, or you've had the scar copied onto your clone.

Depending on the culture you claim as your own, having scars copied (or invented) might be anything from "maintaining a record of scars earned in battle" to "an affectation *rolleyes*" (unless, perhaps, they're decorative scars, in which case the rest of the body art discussion applies).

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #18 on: 08 Apr 2011, 06:55 »

I'd think that unless the pilot specifically asked to have them removed, the scars would remain, for no other reason then to ease the body dysphoria upon download.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #19 on: 08 Apr 2011, 09:11 »

I'd think that unless the pilot specifically asked to have them removed, the scars would remain, for no other reason then to ease the body dysphoria upon download.

This is how it would work in my head, too. It seems likely to me that many capsuleers have a fairly tenuous grip on their identity (which possibly explains their wild, inconsistent, egotistical and bordeline psychotic behaviour). As a result, some may decide to hold onto it as hard as they can, by maintaining their appearance as close to what they regard as "them" as possible. Others might embrace the fluidity, and change the way they look and behave a lot.

And some might feel that a scar would make them look cool, and so deliberately get one.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 08 Apr 2011, 09:38 »

Like intimidation?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #21 on: 08 Apr 2011, 10:03 »

Like intimidation?

I'm not a fan of those tbh, iPatch would be much preferred.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #22 on: 08 Apr 2011, 11:17 »

I think this gets back to the whole "why would a pod pilot carry" thing: why would a pod pilot need to intimidate anyone? The least little noob carries enough clout to intimidate nearly any mudborne, so we're really only looking at intimidation of other pod pilots. And, honestly, if you're a pod pilot where someone hostile is up in your mug without you having the recourse of a security detachment to defend you, you're already screwed. Likewise, if you're a pod pilot and you want to intimidate another pilot, you're not going to do it with your own scarred up face. You'll either be in a position where their security detail can counter you - in which case you're not intimidating anyone - or you'll be in a position where their security detail can't, in which case you've already got them in your power.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #23 on: 08 Apr 2011, 12:06 »

I think this gets back to the whole "why would a pod pilot carry" thing: why would a pod pilot need to intimidate anyone? The least little noob carries enough clout to intimidate nearly any mudborne, so we're really only looking at intimidation of other pod pilots. And, honestly, if you're a pod pilot where someone hostile is up in your mug without you having the recourse of a security detachment to defend you, you're already screwed. Likewise, if you're a pod pilot and you want to intimidate another pilot, you're not going to do it with your own scarred up face. You'll either be in a position where their security detail can counter you - in which case you're not intimidating anyone - or you'll be in a position where their security detail can't, in which case you've already got them in your power.

Most of intimidation is purely psychological. If you look scarred up, pierced, inked, wearing mean clothing, flying a Matari ship with nasty paint and a lot of guns, you might have already shaken up your opponent - not just eggers, but rat pilots too. For that matter, wearing allegiance to an outlaw element with body mods could imply your connections, letting someone know what kind of friends you have.

This is a phenomenon that arises in prison regularly. Inmates will change their exterior to reflect their change from a "good citizen" to someone who can get theirs. If you don't look intimidating, you're a target.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:49 »

By the way, don't assume that all of us want to seem intimidating in person. Some want to be coolly professional, getting the work done and perhaps looking askance at those who posture about it.

(Says the player of a businesswoman and single mother who tries to organise her calendar to get a few days planetside with her daughter when she can.)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #25 on: 08 Apr 2011, 18:42 »

Most of intimidation is purely psychological. If you look scarred up, pierced, inked, wearing mean clothing, flying a Matari ship with nasty paint and a lot of guns, you might have already shaken up your opponent - not just eggers, but rat pilots too. For that matter, wearing allegiance to an outlaw element with body mods could imply your connections, letting someone know what kind of friends you have.

This is a phenomenon that arises in prison regularly. Inmates will change their exterior to reflect their change from a "good citizen" to someone who can get theirs. If you don't look intimidating, you're a target.

I agree with this. 

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 08 Apr 2011, 21:07 »

Shal's face is all muffed up. He's got a lip ring and a nose bar, and a big green tribal tat. He's also got the 'missing eye scar' going on, I figure for him it's a 'badge of honor', showing off that he survived something big and can still fight. For him I use the same logic Senn posted, he feels if he doesn't look like a 'warrior' he looks like a victim, not a healthy mindset but hey, it's how he rolls.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 09 Apr 2011, 04:49 »

Math'ra has a couple of 'new' additions now.

His original portrait had a tatoo running down the side of his face - but when the initial update hit, well I lost sight of the Math that I had originally created.

However, now the update has fixed this.
Math'ra carries his tattoo for personal reasons, relating to his previous life before a capsuleer.
The scar is a semi-recent edition from a bit of Math's story I wrote - and he intends to carry it as a bit of a momento.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #28 on: 09 Apr 2011, 11:23 »

I've been meaning to say something here since I noticed it / was linked it (delete as necessary >>), but a combination of doing other things and outright forgetting conspired against me.

In any case, I can think of a few reasons why a capsuleer would opt to have their clones inked up, cut up, or jabbed with pointy pieces of metal before they 'hop into them', as it were:
  • Cultural motivation: The first one to spring to mind, perhaps because of my time in RE-AW. The Minmatar have a strong tattoo element to their culture, of course, and I can easily see subcultures in the other empires (and outside) placing some degree of emphasis on tattoos or scarring -- indicators of position in a hierarchy, reminders of past events, and so on. Like a few people said, capsuleers retaining these doesn't seem like too much of a stretch: clinging to pre-capsuleer identities strikes me as being a fairly common theme for podders.

• Social motivation: A repetition of the points about intimidation and such, more or less, with a dash of the aforementioned desire to want to retain some element of connection to their life before becoming a capsuleer. To roll in flying a ship brimming with guns and pop out heavily scarred, pierced and tattooed would send a very different message than to arrive in a private vehicle, well-dressed and scrubbed up -- and hey, capsuleers could quite easily go from the one to the other thanks to the wonders of cloning.

Hell, given how advanced New Eden's medical technology seems to be, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that, with a little time, the one clone could be repurposed from 'intimidation' to 'honourable business deal'.

• Why the fuck not? Capsuleers are an impulsive lot, to make a sweeping generalisation, and 'I like how it looks' is a pretty common justification even today, without the great amounts of disposable income and more advanced techniques available to capsuleers.

That's hardly an exhaustive list, though, and honestly it seems that there'd be plenty of reasons for a capsuleer to go for it that would largely depend on the character themselves, the situation in which they found themselves, their background, and so on.

To return to the original question in the OP, I'd never considered the State or Empire for tattoos or other body modification before.

For the former, the intricacy of some of the options available makes me think they might have some degree of religious significance. The similarity to the Matari there is a little weird, though, especially given that the chronicle about tattoos mentions something about the Amarrians banning the Minmatar tattoo practice during their occupation. In any case, the extent of one of the options in particular (second and third from right on the top row) has me thinking that there's no great taboo about it, as such.

The simplistic and comparatively restrained nature of the Caldari ones makes me a little more confused; the best I've come up with there is that while something strictly for aesthetic purposes would get the odd frown or disapproving look, some degree of individualism would be seen as acceptable, and the potential duality of 'showiness' and purpose (lolbarcode, etc.) could mitigate that some. I like the idea of it being some degree of self-satire that someone brought up, too, but that could just be me.

I struggle to imagine piercings seeing any great uptake in the 'traditional' elements of the two societies, personally -- though with the tendency towards visible cybernetic augmentation among the Amarr, if I recall my PF right, I guess it's not beyond belief. Still, it seems that there'd be a greater frequency of both tattoos and piercings (likely from other empires or cultures, in the case of the former, but alas, the restrictions of the character creator) among the shadier or more rebellious facets of those two empries in particular.

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #29 on: 09 Apr 2011, 12:22 »

I would imagine the Caldari might have more elaborate ink art on their body  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3