Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Author Topic: [Character] Gymir Asaadan  (Read 1269 times)

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
[Character] Gymir Asaadan
« on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:09 »

Name origin:
Gymir - Suggestions as to the etymology and meaning of his name include 'earthman', 'the wintry one', 'the protector' and 'the bellower'. In Norse Mythology Gymir is a Giant. Either a Sea Giant or an Earthen one.
Asaadan - 'A' was an addition after I read the Sebby language developed and displayed by Kikia Truzhara here. Saadan means "Dirty" but I will pervert that a little bit to mean, unclean, of action, will, or temperament. Often used as a derivative swear word similar to F--- or Shit. Adding the A to Saadan was just to make it more personalized to my character. Possibly a different dialect than northern Sebby.

Brief history (still expanding) - Gymir was brought up on a Mining colony, specifically; Atlar III, which turns out to be a Storm planet in MH lowsec. The colony was operated by a conglomerate working for a minor subsidiary of the Six Kin Development team. As is expected, life was tough on the colonly, but colonists were given a fair shake to make a living, if they could handle the work, mainly including spending time in vac suits in low to no atmosphere, assisting the gathering of various minerals found on the planet. The society there was not very tribal, consisting of many smaller families and little true Minmatar culture, ie Voluval markings and Tatoo's.

By the time Gymir was 14 he was working in the mining operation to help his mother support Their family. Gymir's right eye (left to observers) was nearly completely bisected when he was 16 while working in near vacuum mining team by a flash explosion that embedded a chunk of heated rock in his skull. His suit was breached and he only survived by the actions of another member of the crew working that day. The chunk of rock was removed but his eye never recovered. Because the accident was determined to be due to faulty equipment, the Six Kin subsidiary shouldered the responsibility of re-training and re-assigning Gymir. Initially he was slated to undergo training to become a mining surveyors assistant, and completed a large portion of the training involved while remaining with his family on Atlar III, however once Gymir hit 18 years old he requested to be tested for capsuleer compatibility. He tested compatible and was sponsored through capsuleer training by a Six Kin Grant. Prior to leaving Atlar, Gymir received his facial tatoo, masking some of the scarring of his eye, as well as defining his social stature.

Gymir left his mother, older brother and older Sister behind on Atlar. Gymir's lack of knowledge of the minmatar republic proved costly. Without a Voluval or any tattoo's he was not recognized as a "man" despite his extensive life experience. Gymir nearly failed out of the spatial disorentention adjustment classes early in Capsuleer training (a common stumbling block) but the threat of failure and returning home a disgrace gave him the motivation he needed to pass. He remained an unremarkable student throughout his tenure, only achieving middling marks in most of his studies with only slightly higher marks in the spatial related courses surrounding directional scanning and probe use most likely because of his weeks of intense focus he needed to pass the baseline classes.

... (time passes, including defining events in his life, including his mother passing away, Setting up his sister and Brother with lives funded by parts of his isk.)

Since becoming an independent Capsuleer, Gymir has founded his own corp but remains the only member, apparently adrift, doing small tasks for various agents around the minmatar republic. His social exposure has been limited as a result, though he tends to frequent the Summit.

Authors note: lots more I need to weave into his backstory as well as his current events. Still a work in progress, and in need of refinement. Suggestions for better formatting would be great :)
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
Re: [Character] Gymir Asaadan
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2012, 19:19 »

Still needs a way to become a pirate since I assume that is what you are shooting for. Not sure what the catalyst for that would be.

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
Re: [Character] Gymir Asaadan
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:57 »

Thanks Logan, That is what I am trying to come up with now, but I haven't had much time to play recently so not much opportunity to develop that part of my character yet.

I am toying with the idea that the trauma to Gymir's eye is actually deeper than previously indicated and causes complications in the frontal lobe or Temporal Lobe to change, or effect his mood, Judgement, or even things like memory, ability to understand and properly interpret visual stimulus, could be part of the reason why he had such a hard time with the Spatial sections of becoming a capsuleer. Lots of paths to explore but still not sure what one to go down yet. Thoughts?
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha