Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Black Nova Corporation (BNC) and others still retain some offices in the Jovian Empire when it was opened during EVE's starter years?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39416 times)

Lyn Farel

And the lore ? I mean the game looks to have a good starting basis of gamedesign, but the lore ...?

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

The lore is pretty voluminous, incorporating a storyline form the 1984 game, through Frontier and First Encounters, to the current game.

Each Power is fleshed out with a bit of character text, a flavour quote and a basic philosophy (with that philosophy reflected in how it secures control and expands - socially, militarily or economically). Each minor power (system governments ranging from a single station to full system control in scope) have a small amount of lore about who and what they are (corporate government of X system that does Y), but the sheer volume of these (4 per system average) makes up for that.  It should be noted that this means that by running missions for a given power you can change the governmental make up of a system over time and cause all sorts of trouble (lock downs, civil wars, and if the baleful eye of FDEV community management notices, possible community goals). 

between power and minor factions, are community goals. These are always lore driver tasks - grand expeditions, station builds, a major factional tussle over an independent system. They get a lot of in game news air time and actively shape the story. They usually have simple objectives, like 'ship metal here' or 'kill targets' and sometimes have an adversarial mission to thwart your attempts running in parallel.  These are the most dynamic/noticable of the real time lore development events.

Lastly you have the major powers, monolithic, grasping power structures. You can see a collection of common sci fi tropes - The corporate and corrupt democratic Federation, the folksey and well meaning but naive Alliance, and the sepratist Empire with its lawless seators and slavery as a social safety net (revelling in the rich/poor divide as the natural order - but valuing benevolence as a virtue... one not always shown by the betters in society). 

These have a wealth of lore and are fairly staticin terms of player ability to change much of that, but each power's major personalities are present as Power Play characters, adding further depth.  Shadow President Winters and President Hudson reflect economic imperialism and military might respectively, and their success and/or failure in powerplay will be sure to have an affect on how the lore plays out.

Finally, you can keep up with all lore developments since release via the in ship GALNET link, which brings all of the latest news, with handy banner pics giving instant recognition of the content (powers have the personality on a thematic background (haulers for trade, stations for territorial news, ships for military and so on).  Sometimes used for rule of cool, these banners make identifying stories of interest easier most of the time. They are also release almost daily, with some days bringing up to half a dozen related stories.

FDEV really want the space to feel alive, and though the game bears its warts somewhat uncomfortably at the moment, engaging lore and player involvement in the storyline is by no means lacking. Mechanics need a lot of spit shine and rework (the grind is real), but the story and living universe are working as intended. 

Lyn Farel

So, RP... ?

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

As a sim, the whole game is literally RP.

Here's a thread on an interesting group of pilots that have decided to affiliate with a minor faction (and are working/hoping to make a major Power Play faction out of it): https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91485

I just kinda think the game forces you to role-play whether you want it or not. Sure, "proper RPers" will embellish a great deal on top of that and avoid being gamey in a non-fiction manner, but I think a group like the Mercs of Mikunn will have people with varying degrees of self-conscious roleplaying effort, but pretty much the whole group is still roleplaying.

Lyn Farel

Ah uh... well, I meant real RP, not just playing RP because the game (like eve) makes you basically play RP, even if sometimes in silly ways. I don't really find it RP immersive to just... play like anyone. Real RP for me is that as a basis, but character fleshing out and interaction on top of it...

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

Hmm, yeah. It still kinda begs the question what do you mean by RP interaction? People talking in local? Chat channels? Chat channels as virtual locations? Nevertheless, I'd say Elite is a bit devoid of this type of stuff, though I do see some RP of varying kinds on forums, but frankly it seems a bit... basic. The potential is there, though.

I think the community goals and Power Play provide frameworks to bring the fiction alive and to flesh out your character accordingly. They also provide stuff to interact about in game (or in forum). The Mercs of Mikunn, for example, no doubt do lots of pure OOC planning, but if you look at that thread I linked you can find some attempts at RP interaction.

Still, the whole feel of Elite in game is kinda lonely. The "I'm a lonesome space trucker"-vibe is difficult to shake.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Generally speaking, Elite is still woefully lacking when it comes to any kind of social tools, particularly communications. You can get 4 people in a wing including yourself on voice/text, and I believe ad-hoc text channels can have at most 6 people at once or something. Even then, it's... not that great, since if you're flying around you probably do not want to be typing.

There's forum RP I believe, but aside from that I'm not really aware of there being anything resembling what we have in EVE in the slightest, or what you might find in other MMOs, that you can find ingame. It's just not feasible with the state things are currently in.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

That's stupid... I mean, there is not even the possibility to create group channels ?

I mean, i'm not really asking for a lot of typed RP when flying (though honestly it's probably possible when you are just doing long and boring travels), but when you are docked with your mates or something... ?

Well, I don't know enough of the game to tell anyway...

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

The functionality is there. It's the limit of the number of people that is the only real problem, and I'd be surprised if there weren't technical reasons for those limitations. They might be out of date, but they're probably there. The chat interface is pretty barebones as it is, but hey. The point of the game is flying around and exploring/mining/shooting/hauling, not typing and occasionally tapping the stick - it being a secondary thing to be dealt with by the devs isn't that big of a deal, imo.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

Then I question the potential for RP in that game...

Odds in that case is if I start playing it, I will probably get bored eventually pretty quick and drop from the game after a few weeks... Months if i'm overly optimistic.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

Waiting for it on sale

The very model of a British Minmatarian

Karynn

Ooo!

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/247

Land on planets!
Nip about in a moon buggy!
Find stuff!

And the upcoming CQC update hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet... that's a PvP combat arena which pitches pilots in the smaller ship classes against each other. Jump in and pew pew with no messing about!

Someone mentioned something about roleplaying? Yeah, like there's any time for that! :roll:

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

On roleplay: Unless you're docked, you'd be hard pressed to have extra time for typing. However, there is "local", though reaching only within the current "island" (i.e. "grid" - though "supercruise" is its own island). Of course, if there are many players present, the different islands are layered. EVE has its 1-second tick, whereas Elite is peer-to-peer and real time simulation (yes, those have ticks, too, but just faster). This limits the population that can be displayed at once.

So, by necessity, lots of the roleplay would need to be of the forum sort. Technically faster-than-light communications are very rare in the Elite universe. Not sure if there's canon information of it - I've read two kinds of fiction. In the more common one, realtime FTL comms don't exist. Instead, most ships do have a data recorded, which syncs with the station computer, and this way does an "IP over Avian Carriers" or "sneakernet" style networking. There's one novel (Lave Revolution) where the flagship of an Alliance task force does phone home (~100 ly), but this can be probably handwaved as too low bandwidth and expensive for most uses. ("Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon hurtling down a highway full of tapes.")

Note: The expansion includes the base game. Base game does not include the expansion, but base game owners have an extra ship (need to buy) and a discount (if bought from Frontier - Steam status unclear). Before the expansion comes out, we'll have two patches. 1.4 is "Close Quarters Championship" (plus assorted fixes/additions) and 1.5 is "Ships". "Season 2" (expansion) hits over the holidays in the winter.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

My quick two pence on roleplay: I prefer the almost tabletop, small co-operative group RP that Elite offers in game. I find the fiction more engaging, the 'firm' (not quite hard not definitely not soft) Sci-Fi to be beautifully detailed and the sheer diversity of humanity in this space age is staggering. It's a self-building world and I love that we get news at the highest levels, but experience the grass-roots of roleplay, unlike EVE in many ways.

Elite also has daily news updates, and vetted community involvement in both publishing novels and in-client fiction. I feel a lot more involved in Elite reading the news, than I ever have actively contributing to live events in EVE (personal opinion).

Content is still a bit shallow, but this newsletter (http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=5fd2c5476a) has really hyped me beyond my normal 'eh, play it to look at things' passive love of the game.

Tl;dr, horizons will bring:

• Planetary landings (barren worlds with no atmosphere to start, but quickly moving through the places where landing won't kill you immediately).
  • Commander creator: avatars, with not so subtle hints that they are only putting avatars in because upcoming features will need them.
  • Many many news ships, both large and small
  • Multi-crew; cooperate with friends to fly a behemoth, manning guns, operating shields and making repairs.
  • Fighter bays: on the largest ships, have your friends leave their stations and man fighter-sized craft (like the upcoming Viper Mk IV) to assist you. This may also extend to wheeled recon vehicles on planets and ships can support ground vehicles in planetary landings (EGX interviews support this)
  • Last and most definitely least - bobble heads are back by popular demand. David Braben is even represented in bobble head form, alongside popular 'powers' characters. Cosmetic stuff that is worth a giggle (even if i don;t think it's worth £5)

Exciting times, and we should start seeing these features arriving in December this year.

Next up is CQC releasing in October. Virtual arena battles, hoped to become an e-sport. Canonically built into the game as a 'sim' battle profession, CQC is likely to be built into the existing news report system to provide some much needed sport news alongside the politics and state of the galaxy daily reports.

The base game is on sale right now on steam (40% off I think?) but refer to Mithfindel's post above for the caveats around that (no expansion with base game, but get game access now).

Lyn Farel

There really is tabletop sessions in elite ?  :eek:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17