Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sarum family is known for being the most belligerent royal family?

Author Topic: Recruiting New Characters into largely Veteran Corps  (Read 2083 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

So, when you are running a largely veteran organization that has not been conducting active recruitment and has not been running an on-boarding program, how do you bring a fresh character and possibly player into the organization?

Establish an on-boarding process?

This is especially challenging given LDIS's industry focus and our major focus in Providence.

Desiderya

Re: Recruiting New Characters into largely Veteran Corps
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2013, 15:58 »

I think it's very difficult with industry due to the amount of access you need to give out to utilize corp assets without headache. But from my experience there are two important stepping stones: Assist with the 'headachy' things in the beginning, such as logistics. Make it easy to take part and give general pointers what you expect. Anything going beyond this will need the most precious of all abilities from your prospective recruit: Initiative. If you detect it, try to foster it and train the know-how to utilize someone's potential. If they don't have it and don't develop it despite being pushed it's very likely that you'll have dead weight on the roster - either through lack of activity or through someone who'll jump ship when the going gets rough or the actual work has to be done.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2013, 23:47 »

In my (limited) experience with EVE industry, I've found that one of the worst things you can run into is lack of tenable goals. This is of course a thing present in all kinds of role in EVE, but is especially rough in industry because you very often need numerous L5 skills just to be able to break even. So, my suggestion is give him something very specific to do while he skills into the role - assign him the job of finding and bookmarking particular deposits of ore, for instance. Then get him into a Venture and ask him for a particular mineral or ore for your production. Then ask him to produce a particular low-skill, high-volume item you need. Keep him moving up to new objectives as he skills into stuff.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2013, 03:50 »

Keeping the new person engaged and learning is very important, yes. But, giving them busy work just for something to do isn't a good idea. Everyone has their own interests, and plenty of builders (*raises a hand*) are very happy not to touch a mining laser and just mine with market orders. If they feel they have to keep doing something they don't like for the promise of doing something they might like later (they can't be sure, because they haven't gotten to do it yet), it ruins their interest in doing anything at all with the corp, and you'll probably lose them (with or without shenanigans).

When I recruited for Re-Aw, I had volunteer "Honorable Newbie Herders" ready to be mentors for one (or more) of the different things the corp does. We knew who to pair them with once we learned what they were interested in. Ammo is cheap enough that baby industrialists can get their feet wet without perfect skills - and not be missed if they disappear with a few EMP S BPCs. I always felt the hardest part was giving them roles - after a trial period and discussion between the CEO, directors, and mentor, of course - but that's just typical EVE p-p-paranoia.

I've really only found two types of starting industrialists: the ones with initiative, like Desi said, who are pure gold and are reading everything they can about it on wikis and forums (and if they're new players, trying to learn everything about the game). If they see someone say they need help with something, they're offering in a heartbeat - even if it's to bring an atron to haul a freighter's worth of minerals; they're asking for more ways to help; and they keep themselves engaged with the corp and learn more while doing it. And then there are the ones who think their wallets will fill up without having to do a thing because industrial corp means magically spacerich to them; they usually won't make it to the end of an interview, though.
Will work for pretty sig.

Leon026

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2013, 13:41 »

This might come off as quite the dumb question.... but where can we recruit newbies? Say for example, I'm predominantly looking for newbie players, because they're excitement for new things, also makes me excited. I love veteran players, but we (veteran players) also tend to have history, baggage, reputation and our own egos - which is why I'm actually thinking that a blank slate, so to speak, could be beneficial?

As much as some people may dislike Kehmor, I still see him as the guy that made me the EVE pilot I became.

Once a Crow pilot, always a Crow pilot.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 02 Dec 2013, 13:54 »

You can put up the little corp ad things ingame, which are linkable in channels or bios. Hanging out near the rookie starter/tutorial systems, or Arnon (the L1 SOE epic arc start/finish point) can work too.

There's Help Chat as well but I'm not sure on CCP's position on recruiting from there.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 02 Dec 2013, 14:10 »

Mmm, fair enough points about busyness, Kohiko. I guess what I was trying to say is - whatever the pacing you look for - don't let them get stuck on aiming for a far distant goal.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 03 Dec 2013, 10:18 »

I love helping newbies :)

http://manufacturingconfusion.blogspot.com/

Very often a veteran T2 production player may be limited by a number of bottlenecks in the T2 process. Part of the process requires a significant number of blueprint copies. The process also requires a lot of invention attempts (about 1/2 of all efforts yield nothing). A new player can skill into Science V fairly quickly. Doing so allows you to copy prints without any disadvantage to a veteran with more skills.

Cutting the copy part out of a veteran inventor's process would greatly increase his t2 output/profits.  I'm sure math could be done to determine a fair, yet still profitable for the veteran, value to purchase those BPC from a new recruit.

PI is an obvious route to go. All new players should get basic experience in PI if you want to get into industry in Eve. The introduction of PI to the game made it viable for the first time for a new player to get involved in industry on a profitable (and sometimes very profitable) level. Prior to PI almost all new players started an industry career through mining. Mining is not true industry because you are not adding value. Mining doesn't work for you when you are offline the way true industry does. PI works even when you aren't online.

The best way to make a profit on PI requires you to leave High security space. For this reason I recommend either creating an alt capable of PI and using it exclusively to make your Isk in a WH/0.0 or getting comfortable going into and out of shallow low security space

Since you live in 0.0 this is perfect for you.   Design a PI set up that maximizes profit with minimal SP and teach them how to do it.   Maybe start a new toon and attempt to do PI on your planets to put yourself in a new player's shoes.  I have some thoughts on colony design I'll share with you in private.

What about inventing, isn't it high skill?  Yes and no. If you look at the requirements for invention to a popular set of T2 ammo like Barrage, what you will find is that the production of the ammunition requires Rocket Science IV and Nuclear Engineering IV. Additionally the invention step requires Minmatar Encryption IV (for reasonable success rates). Using Evemon, I get a skill time of 45 days for all of the relevant skills if you specialize into Intelligence and Memory. This means that if you specialize into a specific set of ammunition or modules it is possible to get into T2 production fairly quickly. If you have a veteran to assist with planning and production you can get into production on a small and consistent basis. Start with a specialized product and then branch out as you get more experience. Finding a veteran player or industry corporation with spare blueprints and a willingness to help should be your priority if you want to get into T2 production. A new player has something to offer if they are willing to dedicate some time to a focused set of skills.

Hey look this guy wrote your recruitment ad for you!
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2013, 10:22 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 03 Dec 2013, 11:00 »

^ This.

I used to help Myrhial's T2 production out by running copy jobs or occasionally tossing things into the cooker for her with Naoko.

The guy who does that blog also did a nice post about decryptors and the cost/benefits of using them the other week. Lots of good stuff on there even if I don't personally use any of it at the moment.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2013, 11:01 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #9 on: 03 Dec 2013, 12:06 »

His site his quite the gold mine.
You are RPing wrong.

Tara A

• Clonejack
    • The Star Fraction
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2013, 11:46 »

Stepping aside from the industry side of discussion, since I know practically nothing of it, back in the day we kept things fresh by pretty much staying noobish. We often had fairly new directors even, aside from Jade, Cosmo and myself and I was largely inactive for the last years anyway. The trust bit us in the back once or twice quite painfully in corp splits, but it gave us a lot more in many positive ways.

Obviously there really was nothing to steal, either. So ymmv as far as industry goes, but giving trust where it's due, or we thought it was due, seemed to work well for quite a few years for us.

So, what I really came to post was people really don't like being "new" for very long, in my opinion. They should be embraced instead of putting them under too much of scrutiny, because apart from security issues the new people bring tons of energy and enthusiasm as well as sheer joy of accomplishment which is largely denied from the bittervets.