Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Equality: is it really what we all want?  (Read 9059 times)

Ollie

• Egger
Re: Equality: is it really what we all want?
« Reply #30 on: 17 Dec 2013, 20:56 »

TLDR (summary to date): Serious topic discusses serious issues with due seriousness. The One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron and attendant side-topics - hobbits, elves, dismally cliched Hollywood character and plot options superimposed on the original story, etc - then reveals itself and attempts to sway those under his Eye towards derailment. The fate of this thread - and perhaps the entire world - is balanced on a knife's edge. :P

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 17 Dec 2013, 21:41 »

While men will certainly get questions from older family members about why they haven't settled down yet, the degree to which our worth is questioned because we're single doesn't even compare. You can be a man and be considered successful and still be single.

I can't speak to that in general, and I'm not convinced it's true, at least in my area of the country. I've certainly had questions from older family members - I've also had them from friends, acquaintances, etc. It could also be that, after a particularly unpleasant experience, I decided that I was, for lack of a better expression, less than thrilled about the return on investment in regards to my relationships. Perhaps I decided that a bit early, after only a few relationships, but having spent the last seven years without going on a date, some family and friends have become rather...well, I'm not sure. Sort of a combination of suspicion, discomfort, and perhaps a bit of anger. I've been "accused" of being gay a few times.  ;)

But, then, I don't know how much pressure single women get. Work-wise, I used to have to deal with a definite surplus of comments. Fortunately, that lessens once you are in charge, and, honestly, I don't mind teasing now and then.

Believe me, what we get is nothing compared to what women get.  Just for the reasons you mentioned, the longevity of all our media and history, women get shit for going outside the "norm" that you wouldn't believe.  Men in our stories and lifetimes have been all sorts of things and run the gamut of experience, occupation, and human emotion.  We are allowed to have a different lifestyle, even if people don't like it.  I mean, just going over the kids issue, nobody really gives me that much shit for not wanting to have kids.  It's almost like there's a level of understanding.  The most common thing people say to me in that regard is, "Yeah, I didn't want kids either, but it's different when you have them."  For the most part, though, me saying, "Oh, we don't really want to have any," tends to elicit a shrug or a nod.

Women?  They don't get that.  They get, "When are you having kids?  When are you getting married?"  Not if.  Not to whom or with whom.  When.  That's got to drive them up the wall and pressure them the way we're never going to get pressured.  I mean, by the time my mother was asking if we were going to be planning on getting married, my wife's friends and family had already planned out a wedding neither of us would have wanted.  That white-dress, black-suit, bland gathering isn't for either one of us.  I'll be damned if her side of the family wasn't pissed off at first because she was deviating from the normal wedding procedure.

I've got to say, that damn well bothers me, too.  It's almost like women don't necessarily care who their friends/family/acquaintances end up with.  Just get married and have kids.  Us guys are interchangeable as far as those conversations go.  We're like a vessel for seed and money so that women can live out the fantasies that have been pushed on them since they were born.  As an outsider, I can only cringe and wonder at what kind of bullshit actually goes on.  As much as it's said to be the case that men brainwash women, the truth is that a woman's greatest enemy is womankind.

Men get a somewhat opposite approach.  Men get violent at an early age and start immediately competing in some way or another.  That's pressed on us very early on.  At least that's a more variable expectation, though.  Our sports, our recommended activities, the entire culture pushed on boys is one of direct competition in whatever field we figure out we're good at.  From what I gather, women don't seem to have that.  They have more of a pecking order and their fighting can get dramatic, but women aren't taught from an early age to compete with each other for dominance.  They are told to compete with each other for a man.  The sad part is that they're usually taught to do it by their friends and family.

My brother and I grew up nerds and gamers, and neither of us is hypercompetitive.  We liked playing RPGs and co-op games where we got to work together.  In that, I guess my upbringing was a lot different.  My parents weren't necessarily very conservative.  But my sister?  Even my mother was always asking her about her boyfriend and dating more than what she was doing at that particular time.  Male culture seems so highly variable compared to that.

I've actually heard it countless times.  I'm starting to think that things like the maternal instinct aren't really instincts, but that women are seriously brought up in the most pervasively conservative brainwashing program on the planet.  The Hell with them getting dolls and kitchen sets for Christmas, I mean their entire lives are filled with a sort of backlog of pressure that they're expected to conform to.  In essence, they never get to be a nerd or a jock or a stoner.  They're always a girl first, and then they get to be everything else.

Still, maybe it just looks worse on the outside; I'm not a girl.  I just know I've always grown up kind of happy I wasn't born one.  I've got a bad track record on fulfilling my dedicated roles in society, and I always felt like I had half as much as any woman.  In the end, I almost think that has very little to do with us anymore, I think it's sort of just inter-female gravity.  Maybe there are women who can attest or disprove that?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #32 on: 17 Dec 2013, 21:52 »

While men will certainly get questions from older family members about why they haven't settled down yet, the degree to which our worth is questioned because we're single doesn't even compare. You can be a man and be considered successful and still be single.

I can't speak to that in general, and I'm not convinced it's true, at least in my area of the country. I've certainly had questions from older family members - I've also had them from friends, acquaintances, etc. It could also be that, after a particularly unpleasant experience, I decided that I was, for lack of a better expression, less than thrilled about the return on investment in regards to my relationships. Perhaps I decided that a bit early, after only a few relationships, but having spent the last seven years without going on a date, some family and friends have become rather...well, I'm not sure. Sort of a combination of suspicion, discomfort, and perhaps a bit of anger. I've been "accused" of being gay a few times.  ;)

But, then, I don't know how much pressure single women get. Work-wise, I used to have to deal with a definite surplus of comments. Fortunately, that lessens once you are in charge, and, honestly, I don't mind teasing now and then.

Believe me, what we get is nothing compared to what women get.  Just for the reasons you mentioned, the longevity of all our media and history, women get shit for going outside the "norm" that you wouldn't believe.  Men in our stories and lifetimes have been all sorts of things and run the gamut of experience, occupation, and human emotion.  We are allowed to have a different lifestyle, even if people don't like it.  I mean, just going over the kids issue, nobody really gives me that much shit for not wanting to have kids.  It's almost like there's a level of understanding.  The most common thing people say to me in that regard is, "Yeah, I didn't want kids either, but it's different when you have them."  For the most part, though, me saying, "Oh, we don't really want to have any," tends to elicit a shrug or a nod.

Women?  They don't get that.  They get, "When are you having kids?  When are you getting married?"  Not if.  Not to whom or with whom.  When.  That's got to drive them up the wall and pressure them the way we're never going to get pressured.  I mean, by the time my mother was asking if we were going to be planning on getting married, my wife's friends and family had already planned out a wedding neither of us would have wanted.  That white-dress, black-suit, bland gathering isn't for either one of us.  I'll be damned if her side of the family wasn't pissed off at first because she was deviating from the normal wedding procedure.

I've got to say, that damn well bothers me, too.  It's almost like women don't necessarily care who their friends/family/acquaintances end up with.  Just get married and have kids.  Us guys are interchangeable as far as those conversations go.  We're like a vessel for seed and money so that women can live out the fantasies that have been pushed on them since they were born.  As an outsider, I can only cringe and wonder at what kind of bullshit actually goes on.  As much as it's said to be the case that men brainwash women, the truth is that a woman's greatest enemy is womankind.

Men get a somewhat opposite approach.  Men get violent at an early age and start immediately competing in some way or another.  That's pressed on us very early on.  At least that's a more variable expectation, though.  Our sports, our recommended activities, the entire culture pushed on boys is one of direct competition in whatever field we figure out we're good at.  From what I gather, women don't seem to have that.  They have more of a pecking order and their fighting can get dramatic, but women aren't taught from an early age to compete with each other for dominance.  They are told to compete with each other for a man.  The sad part is that they're usually taught to do it by their friends and family.

My brother and I grew up nerds and gamers, and neither of us is hypercompetitive.  We liked playing RPGs and co-op games where we got to work together.  In that, I guess my upbringing was a lot different.  My parents weren't necessarily very conservative.  But my sister?  Even my mother was always asking her about her boyfriend and dating more than what she was doing at that particular time.  Male culture seems so highly variable compared to that.

I've actually heard it countless times.  I'm starting to think that things like the maternal instinct aren't really instincts, but that women are seriously brought up in the most pervasively conservative brainwashing program on the planet.  The Hell with them getting dolls and kitchen sets for Christmas, I mean their entire lives are filled with a sort of backlog of pressure that they're expected to conform to.  In essence, they never get to be a nerd or a jock or a stoner.  They're always a girl first, and then they get to be everything else.

Still, maybe it just looks worse on the outside; I'm not a girl.  I just know I've always grown up kind of happy I wasn't born one.  I've got a bad track record on fulfilling my dedicated roles in society, and I always felt like I had half as much as any woman.  In the end, I almost think that has very little to do with us anymore, I think it's sort of just inter-female gravity.  Maybe there are women who can attest or disprove that?

Thinking about it, you are right. While society chants slogans about equality, the way children of either genders are brought up hadn't been equal. As you said, boys are raised to pursue sports and other competitive activities, girls are encouraged to play with their dollhouses. Inequality had been driven into them since they were kids. Considering what the girls had been put through, it's no wonder some of them lash out and demand female 'superiority', disguised as 'equality'.

If we really want equality, we had to start from when they were kids. Boys and girls treated the same way, given the same thing, encouraged to chase the same ideals. The daughter wishes to be an engineer? By all means, go for it. The son wishes to be a househusband? Why the hell not? Society will definitely give the parents who raise their children that way a big 'WTF' but it has to start somewhere, and that somewhere,  reckon, would be parents, followed by rest of family. 
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2013, 21:55 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:29 »

snip

Thats really true.

That comes from - at least partly - power through demographics. Not long ago - a century at best - there was still the need for a nation to produce as many children as possible.

It is less and less true for modern western world, but tradition continues...

Also, there have been some new experiments done in creches where children no matter their gender are given all the toys they can access to. Apparently both genders tend to use equaly so called female or male toys... They just don't care. That separation is taught and only exists in our upbringing...

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:00 »

The One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron and attendant side-topics - hobbits, elves, dismally cliched Hollywood character and plot options superimposed on the original story, etc - then reveals itself and attempts to sway those under his Eye towards derailment.

In the films, the Eye of Sauron looks like an angry vagina, if that's any help.

http://thebloggess.com/2013/01/one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor-and-see-an-angry-vagina/

If that's not female representation, I don't know what is!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #35 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:33 »

The One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron and attendant side-topics - hobbits, elves, dismally cliched Hollywood character and plot options superimposed on the original story, etc - then reveals itself and attempts to sway those under his Eye towards derailment.

In the films, the Eye of Sauron looks like an angry vagina, if that's any help.

http://thebloggess.com/2013/01/one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor-and-see-an-angry-vagina/

If that's not female representation, I don't know what is!

If he liked it he should've kept the One Ring on it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #36 on: 03 Feb 2014, 23:42 »

I've let this subject be long enough, I feel. Still digging and looking around but I'll go respond to some posts here.

So, as with most movements, there is a core message (women being equal to men) and then there is how the movement is co-opted (women over men).

For example, my mother-in-law is a feminist, as in she supports equal opportunity for men and women and attempts to hold them to the same standards and did so in the 1960s and 1970s when a "proper lady" would never have done such things.

However, for some (not my mother-in-law) equal opportunity and standards is entirely insufficient.

Thing I've found is, the movement that most people in the know seem to reference as "first wave" feminism mostly had the stated goal in mind. That is, they sought to gain equality for women equal to men. For the most part it seems they achieved this, some would say unfairly, because, as an example, the women's right to vote did not come with the typical responsibilities, like having to go to war when called on to do so. Regardless, this was the part of feminism that managed ot stick to the rules they set and achieve most of their goals.

I don't recall where exactly most consider there to be a split, but at some point the first wave ended and eventually a "second wave" kicked off and it's mostly in the post-feminist end of this one we find ourselves today. It would appear that most of the more aggressive and radical of the firsts wave feminists was a big part of the second one, to the point where it often seems hard to tell radical feminism apart from the rest of an admittedly huge multinational movement. There are millions of "every day" feminists and people that at least mentally support the movement, and these people seem mostly ignorant of the full length and breath of what feminism actually is. I used to be one of these people that supported feminism in the back of my own head, as stated above in my first post, mostly out of ignorance.

Because I'm not done digging and looking around on the available sources for arguments and counter arguments I'm being careful not to be overly "final" on ideas here. I don't want to state for sure that "this is how it is" on any one matter like this, but for now my views on feminism remains majorly negative due mostly available information.

Orange, when you say that equal opportunities and standards are entirely insufficient for some, I know exactly what you mean.

Ohhhhhhhh boy.

Alright, this is just a bit of wisdom:

First, I'm definitely not affiliated with any men's group.

Seems like a wise statement given some of the things I've seen examples of. Many feminists don't seem to impressed with freedom of speech if you speak against them or from unfavorable viewpoints.

Ok. Second, BB, if I were you, I'd quickly learn the value of not publicly acknowledging any agreement with any "red pill", "MRA" or "MGTOW" set of beliefs, group, blogger, or poster. That is the best way to get blacklisted, fast. I've seen it happen, albeit from the periphery, and it was impressive. Read what you wanna read, think what you wanna think, but for god's sake, don't talk about how you totally agree with a socially unacceptable opinion until you've made damn sure that you don't want to be remembered for that and only that first.

Like I said, I've seen a few examples so far. Having said that, I've yet to say that I totally agree with anything. I have however said that given the weight of evidence so far, I'm leaning in strong favor of the one's opposing feminism's negative traits and the outcomes those traits have lead to. I'm still digging and looking, and have seen some annoying bullshit from the anti-feminism camp as well.

Besides, it would be foolish of me to call myself something I'm not. I know what MGTOW supposedly is, and can state that I'm not one, I know what most Men's Right's Activists seem to want, and have yet to find any Norwegian MRA groups - mostly because I've not gone around looking yet. If/when I find one I'll make up my mind on what to do. If anything.

Until then I'll keep looking around. I though the "red pill" analogy was very apt, very fitting, as it nicely explained my feelings in the matter after my first few days of digging.

Third, they could be wrong. Probably not a good idea to profess belief off of one blog and youtube channel.

Fourth, even if they're right, so what? Like you're gonna change the tide. What will ruining your reputation do for it? I read a bit of her blog - even if she were right about everything, there's nothing that spreading it would do for you.

Fifth, have you read sites and blogs that contradict these views?

It's not just one blog/channel so far. I've checked out dozens of YT channels and have had little time for blogs so far. I'm running on limited time here, so mostly an hour or two every day on average, at best, to go looking around. And like I said, I've not professed much 'belief' in anything specific said so far. It's simply that if half the things feminism is responsible for is true - and I've seen for myself IRL that a good fat bunch of it is most likely is true - then I'll have to say again, that red pill analogy was really fucking apt.

If they are right, if I eventually get to the conclusion that A) There is a major problem that want likely be solved by others any time soon and B) there is something I can do to help out, then I'm likely going to see what I can actually do to help out and then do that. Likely all I will be able to do is support a local, national group of some sort.

I'm way to inept at required skills, like good articulation and communication to go, say, start some YT series or whatever to express my views. I've barely avoided permanently fucking up on these very forums, making a fool of myself on YT or elsewhere? Fuck that.

As for if I've read anything that contradicts the statements of the people I've read so far, yes, I've read some of that. So far some of the more absurd and easily refuted claims by MRA's and alleged MRA's (Feminists seem fond of calling and MRA as anyone that says anything against them, especially the more extreme ones, even if the supposed MRA's themselves don't ID as ones, so knowing who is and whi is not supposedly one is not always easy) have been, well, easily refuted. For the majority of the time however the feminists I've read have been the unhinged illogical ones, and the MRA's the ones with solid counter-arguments. This may be how it is most of the time, but not all. As I've said though, my digging continues.

As for your second post, in spite of my opinion on you due unrelated issues in the past, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes throughout life. Thanks for sharing, at any rate.

You will always have pitchforks raised when moderate people start to talk about movements like those, that suffer from a terrible image thanks to all the strawmen and misconceptions that run all around.

This person is getting an incredible amount of flak for what she says ? Well, the other side gets the same treatment as well (cf Anita Sarkeesian / Feminist Frequency). It's sad.

However despite the links you provided, i'm unable to find a proper article or YT video where she actually exposes her views...

Firstly, in regards to Sarkeesian - the issue with her are two-fold.

To begin with, Anita Sarkeesian is a con-artist and her whole feminist frequency setup is a scam. Given the available evidence I can say this almost completely ensure that I'm right. She is either a feminist out to promote her ideology and frankly absurd claims regarding games on the behalf of her ideology and herself, or she is not even a feminist and ride the professional victim-hood trend and feminism as a crude, but admittedly very effective tool to get what she want.

The second issue with her is that in reprisal to her actions the biggest volume of opposition she get's are of the crude, blunt and offensively non-constructive sort. This helps to enforce her victim-hood and assists her in being believed on her bullshit. This also helps render all the constructive and serious opposition to her as merely more misogyny and woman-hating - when Sarkeesian does something and says something about gaming, it's all true because she is a woman and she said so, but when people oppose her it's all just more opposition to her on the grounds that she's a woman, and the serious counter-arguments against her goes mostly unheeded thanks to Sarkeesian's poisoning the well with impunity.

Sarkeesian is not a legitimate example of an oppressed woman that get's bullshit on the net for being a woman, it's an example of a scammer pulling off a very good scam and making most people buy into it, and blocking any and all opposition to her actions based on the fact that she's a woman and a perceived victim.

Secondly, on the topic of Karen Straughan and a summary of her opinions and beliefs. Simply put, there is no one location to find this, as far as I know. Her YT video's makes her beliefs crystal clear as she makes them, this is one of the reasons I said people with any interest in the subject should go see her videos from oldest to newest. Well, perhaps not 'see' them, as it's not much to see, but turn them on and listen in at least. If you need audio for nothing else letting this go on in the background of what your doing is not hard. Hell, I spent most of these overseeing solo-mining in high-sec just to have something to do. That and house-hold work near my PC, but you get my point.

I think I'd go with Kala mostly on this. Please note that this discussion is going to be from the perspective of a guy in the US.

That said, the issue I have with MRA and the perception of modern feminism is that MRA holds up comparatively infrequent instances of abuse of men and paints it as endemic and frequent, while abuse of women does in fact remain endemic and frequent.
If you are going to seriously claim this, you will have to offer some backing for your argument. I've heard the same from feminists so far, and most that dismiss MRA's and claim that violence almost only or only affect women cite statistics that have been proven to have been poorly made. Most MRA's that claim that abuse is a genderless issue that affects men and women in equal numbers, and on occasion as something that affects men a tad more, well most of them manage to cite sources that are at least, somewhat respectable and trusted.

Consider that the recent spate of recorded high school rape of passed-out girls is frequently responded to with, "What was she thinking?," "She deserved it for going out with guys!," and "They shouldn't have recorded it!" And this is standard thinking.

I've heard about this too. Mostly from feminists, and again, most of the sources they cite are not entirely trustworthy and some numbers they cite are just absurd. Lots of anti-feminists spend time refuting the claims that supposedly exaggerate how bad high school and campus rape rates are. Feminists have claimed as much as "1 in 4 will be raped" and in some cases far higher, this has for the most part been refuted in very solid ways. As I've said, I'm trying to keep an open mind, but in this case, to me, it seems to me you are viewing this issue through the arguments of feminists, whom like I said, often exaggerate wildly on the issue of rape.

Someone very dear to me was, when younger and naive, given a Long Island Iced Tea by a fellow who was once her teacher in high school, and later sexually assaulted by him-- because she assumed she could trust him and could treat him as a friend, where he assumed that she was a female and thus he could do with her as he pleased, once she was drunk enough to not resist.

All she could get him on was serving alcohol to a minor. Fortunately, this means he won't be in a position of trust any more, but the point stands that this is not uncommon.
I'm genuinely sorry to hear about this, believe that or not. However in the context of the topic at hand here this is anecdotal evidence, and at best one case. To assume there is a huge pandemic of rape in schools over one issue is like saying there is a murder pandemic because someone shot JFK.

Consider the proportion of women who will be raped at some point in their lives. Surely, yes, men are raped too -- but what portion of the population? This indicates that the issue is gendered, despite the progress that has been made over the last few decades, over the last century.
What portion of the population? well, the vast US male prisoner population comes to mind with ease. The issue of rape is not gendered, but men are often not very eager to report their rapes to the authorities, and often when they do, they get laughed out of the building or treated as someone lying, delivering a false report. This is ironic, considering how often women have been reported to use false reporting of rape as weapons against men.

...remember that until recently, a married woman could be raped by her husband-- there was a presumption that her body was his to do with as he pleased...
Until recently? How recently are we talking about here? I suppose again, that you have sources of this? Because the sources I've seen would indicate that there was never been a time when rape was okay, or violence against one's wife for that matter.

Third wave feminism-- this is where people are running into issues. Third-wave feminism is about the freedom from gendered social stigma in daily life. Consider what we think of a woman who parties or sleeps around-- she's a dirty slut, to be used and discarded, who can't be raped because clearly she was asking for it. And a man who parties and sleeps around? Odds are, unless he's pretty creepy, we sort of envy him, we give him high-fives.
I'm not sure there is a recognized "third wave" in feminism, but ultimately it don't mean much what we term it. As for the social stigma, social stigmas are a real bitch. The one you refer to is unfortunate, but so are the myriad of social stigmas that plague people of both genders. Interestingly, feminism has done little to nothing to debunk stigmas against men, but in fact helped to enforce many and make new ones.

There is a strong reaction to feminism. Given a chance, reactionaries will happily dismantle this social progress, using a strawman of misandry and man-hating, of women being unable to commit heinous crimes because only men are criminals, and all men are criminals. Surely, the militants aren't ideal-- even if they aren't misandrists, their focus on opaque philosophy of language and social structures that are essentially invisible to participants can confuse or turn off your average person, male or female.

I'd agree with you that violence is pervasive and human, and that unbalanced people regardless of gender will use it against others. This is not acceptable. I would propose that the efforts of feminism are, at least, to remove the sanction of society from the use of sexual violence against women-- something that is tacitly present whenever we go, "She was asking for it."
The strawman you speak of is in most case when it pops up not a strawman at all, it's quite real. To claim the feminism in general is "just misrepresented by reactionaries."

I agree violence is never okay, but it seems to me most feminists don't care so long as the violence is not directed towards women. In fact, many would seem to be happy with violence towards men as a "normal thing". Regardless of how many feminists really believe this or not, the majority of the feminists in the world seem perfectly unable or unwilling to self-police their own extremists, and in ignoring them, they are silently endorsing them, by allowing them to go on undisturbed. Obviously this needs to stop, if we are have any hope of getting a society even remotely equal between genders and genetics.

(oh, and forgot an important point-- yes. Equality? We want it. I want people to have the legal autonomy and the social freedom to do as they like with who they like, how they like, so long as all involved are consenting adults; to pursue jobs they are capable of, to be paid according to their ability, without stigma or pay differentials based on gender; to pay taxes or raise kids or serve in the military without being banned from certain roles because, "lols. househusband? does she own your balls?," or "lols. women with guns? what if she has a period in the middle of Fallujah? hurhurhur.")

I am glad to see we are on the same page on this topic, as both seek equality of options, at least. We seem to mostly have equality of pay so far, so let's see if not the following decades get's us equality in other areas, then.

...The only ideologies, ideals, goals and beliefs worth having and following are your own.  The minute you let them get out of your head and hands, they are co-opted by those who would abuse them for the power they generate.  I hope you can find some kind of peace with your beliefs and seek to pursue them for the betterment of all, and not the domination and destruction of them.
And this is why I am here, sharing.

Regardless, I would disagree with you on the military, but then I don't know what military you speak of compared to my own, and your sharing personal belief and experience anyhow, so it matters little.

I'm a bit reminded of the legal maxim of Hard Cases Make Bad Law - just that in this case it would be that Extremist Spokespeople don't make a movement - but they might be needed to keep a movement going. I am also reminded of real-time systems control - in order to attain a desired state quickly, you have to over-correct, even if it means that you have to back down a bit afterwards. There is no steady state in society - there will always be movement above and below the state you desire; it's intrinsic to feedback-driven systems.

Sometimes I read posts claiming that Feminism is no longer necessary, because we are now in an age where it is not unheard of that men are domestically abused by women. To which my response usually is that in the majority of cases, it's still women being abused by men; and Feminism won't have reached its goals until the relation is 50/50 (and ideally 0 total). And that without Feminism raising the topic of domestic abuse as such, men wouldn't even dare to acknowledge if they are victims of domestic abuse.

I admit that this comment doesn't have much of a point, just two thoughts. But I wanted to mention them.

I'm not sure I follow your logic at all, but thanks for sharing at least. There might even be something in what you say. After all, how many men were reporting their own abuse in relationships until feminism was a major thing? I'm pretty sure mutual domestic abuse was a thing long before feminism, after all, so some good may have come from this movement on tihs front, at least.

Anyhow, again, thanks for sharing :3

A good lesson from Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie:

"We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, "You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man." Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support, but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage, and we don't teach boys the same? We raise girls to see each other as competitors--not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing--but for the attention of men. We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are. "Feminist": the person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes."

So yes I have neither seen nor read anything convincing as to why equality is not desirable. We raise our children, not simply according to different genders, but according to very, very different roles. It is a gross injustice.

And if you seriously believe that you can change that, or things similar, without thinking in terms of equality, then you simply have no idea of a solution.
I have a counter to this monologue you have quoted. Made by me, just now, 04.02.2014 06:10

May have been made by others elsewhere and at other times, I would not know:

"We teach boys to make themselves better. We say to boys, "you must have ambition and drive, and lots of it. You must aim to be successful, and very successful, otherwise you will not be good enough for the woman." Because I am male, I am expected to aspire towards self-sacrifice and be supportive. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that supporting and defending a female is the most important. Now, the role of supporter can be a source of joy and love and mutual respect, but why do we teach boys to aspire to be the supporters and defenders, and we don't teach girls the same? We raise boys to see each others as competitors--for jobs, social positions and resources, these are good things--they get you the attention of women. We teach boys that they can not be human beings in the way that girls are--girls are human beings, they are human doings. "Egalitarian": the person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes."

Equality of options regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual preference or any other aspect of the self that is beyond your control, is what I believe in an want. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything less is indeed a gross injustice, thus why I will likely end up opposing feminism on the grounds that it has forgotten it's own stated purpose.

In closing for this post, I'd like to point anyone interested in knowing about the issues between the male/female divide in society to check out the works and speeches of Doctor Warren Farrell, especially his book "The myth of male power" and his speech on the supposed pay-gap and other topics. The man used to be a feminist throughout the 60 etc. until he eventually came to realize the issues with men, as well as women, in society and has spent a lot of time working on the topic.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2014, 23:56 by BloodBird »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 04 Feb 2014, 09:00 »

.........)o)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #38 on: 04 Feb 2014, 13:26 »

If you are happy in your ignorance, much like I was 3 days ago, you may not want to go see Karen's videos

Wow. Heed The Word or you're willfully ignorant. Haven't heard that sentiment outside of a church or political rally.

Let the others here debate your points, but your newly minted Throne Upon Which To Peer Upon the Unclean can go in the usual pile.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 13:28 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 04 Feb 2014, 13:38 »

I'm not going to touch most of this, because it's subjective and I don't think it's worth trying to argue with you about. But there are a couple of objective issues here that happen to matter a great deal to me.

Disclaimer: This is written from the perspective of a WASP male in the United States (otherwise known as life on easy mode).

I've let this subject be long enough, I feel. Still digging and looking around but I'll go respond to some posts here.

Consider that the recent spate of recorded high school rape of passed-out girls is frequently responded to with, "What was she thinking?," "She deserved it for going out with guys!," and "They shouldn't have recorded it!" And this is standard thinking.

I've heard about this too. Mostly from feminists, and again, most of the sources they cite are not entirely trustworthy and some numbers they cite are just absurd. Lots of anti-feminists spend time refuting the claims that supposedly exaggerate how bad high school and campus rape rates are. Feminists have claimed as much as "1 in 4 will be raped" and in some cases far higher, this has for the most part been refuted in very solid ways. As I've said, I'm trying to keep an open mind, but in this case, to me, it seems to me you are viewing this issue through the arguments of feminists, whom like I said, often exaggerate wildly on the issue of rape.

Someone very dear to me was, when younger and naive, given a Long Island Iced Tea by a fellow who was once her teacher in high school, and later sexually assaulted by him-- because she assumed she could trust him and could treat him as a friend, where he assumed that she was a female and thus he could do with her as he pleased, once she was drunk enough to not resist.

All she could get him on was serving alcohol to a minor. Fortunately, this means he won't be in a position of trust any more, but the point stands that this is not uncommon.
I'm genuinely sorry to hear about this, believe that or not. However in the context of the topic at hand here this is anecdotal evidence, and at best one case. To assume there is a huge pandemic of rape in schools over one issue is like saying there is a murder pandemic because someone shot JFK.

Consider the proportion of women who will be raped at some point in their lives. Surely, yes, men are raped too -- but what portion of the population? This indicates that the issue is gendered, despite the progress that has been made over the last few decades, over the last century.
What portion of the population? well, the vast US male prisoner population comes to mind with ease. The issue of rape is not gendered, but men are often not very eager to report their rapes to the authorities, and often when they do, they get laughed out of the building or treated as someone lying, delivering a false report.
You've talked a lot about dismissing statistics and then decided to throw out some vague "how often" stuff without numbers to back it up. So here's a few for the US, sourced here:

Even a study using narrower definitions of rape (avoiding things like having sex while too drunk to give consent, even though that's supposed to be considered rape) found that 0.2% of women and 0.01% of men were in the US were raped in 2010. That's around 300,000 women compared to 15,000 men. In addition, women are raped almost exclusively by men. Men are also raped primarily by other men, although instances of women raping men (having sex without consent) do occur. Put together, roughtly 99% of rapists are men.

The issue of rape is not gendered, but men are often not very eager to report their rapes to the authorities, and often when they do, they get laughed out of the building or treated as someone lying, delivering a false report. This is ironic, considering how often women have been reported to use false reporting of rape as weapons against men.

and this started well and then went - off the rails, let's say.

It is certainly true that men don't like to report rape, because it's embarassing, emasculating, something that happens to weaklings and women, etc, and they'll likely be treated like shit. On the other hand, women frequently fail to report rape because they're treated pretty much the same way. Turns out society treats rape victims really terribly, who knew.

You just provided perfect evidence of this, although you phrased it in such a way that you can still deny actually believing it's true. Because it isn't: False reports of rape occur at approximately the same rate as false reports of other crimes: 2%-5%. And yet there is a perception, driven by low rates of arrest and conviction, that half or more of all rape reports by women are false.

as for your end quote...

yes, it sucks that society pushes men and women to do things and be things they might not be naturally driven toward. On the other hand, that does not automatically put them on the same level. A society which tells me that I should be motivated to be successful because I'm male and my wife should be subservient because she's female sucks for both of us - but it sucks tremendously more for her.

Imagine two people in the emergency room. One of them has a migraine and is in tremendous pain. The other has a gunshot wound. The doctors are focusing on the one with the gunshot wound, because that's the worse injury.

In my opinion, the anti-feminist movements are like the guy with the migraine claiming that the guy with the gunshot is exaggerating. That the guy with the gunshot is somehow denying the existance of the other guy's pain. That the fact that they are both in pain means that there condition is equal and that the gunshot doesn't deserve special attention.

But the truth is, neither of these injuries negates the other. The fact that one guy has a gunshot wound and is dying doesn't minimize the pain experienced by the guy with the migraine. But neither does the pain of the man with the migraine make gunshot wound less serious. They're both bad, but one is much worse.

Society sends both genders a lot of fucked up messages about who and how we should be, but anyone trying to make it seem like the fucked up messages society sends me as a man are as bad as the fucked up messages society sends my wife as a woman is full of shit.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 13:40 by Victoria Stecker »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 04 Feb 2014, 14:26 »

If you are happy in your ignorance, much like I was 3 days ago, you may not want to go see Karen's videos

That is usually the red flag that allows you to completely ignore what someone is saying, regardless of their point. Radical conversions never lead to discussions worth having.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #41 on: 04 Feb 2014, 16:31 »

some would say unfairly, because, as an example, the women's right to vote did not come with the typical responsibilities, like having to go to war when called on to do so.

Hm.

Well, everyone's responsibilities are different, in various ways.  They should still be able to vote and have a say on things that will effect their lives.

A right to vote tied to conscription seems...limiting.

Additionally, it isn't just women who were denied the vote; it was a class issue also - before women it was labourers who couldn't vote.  Probably similar sorts of arguments used - "they had to do what they were told anyway, so who's in charge doesn't effect them." 

Likewise, there's no point giving women the vote because they have to do what their husbands tell them, who already have the vote.

In a way, with regards to rights and voting, it's far less to do with women and the lower classes and far more to do with the people in power and their efforts to preserve it.

it often seems hard to tell radical feminism apart from the rest of an admittedly huge multinational movement.

Depends very much on your definition of radical and if you see it as a positive or a negative.  For example, some people would use radical feminists and trans-exclusionary feminists as interachangeable terms (I don't think that's necessarily the case, and with the latter I think it's largely a case of theory being taken in a literal sense).

Feminism being so broad it's almost more accurate to say Feminism(s).  Be wary of anyone claiming to speak for the whole.

Many feminists don't seem to impressed with freedom of speech if you speak against them or from unfavorable viewpoints.

:P
Most *people* are like that.

While I think echo-chambers and group-think are unhelpful and unhealthy, and personally I totally go for the "I disagree with what you're saying but I support your right to say it" - of course I'm going to be unimpressed with certain outlooks and opinions.  (Especially the ones I think are stupid).

That's...pretty normal, isn't it?

To begin with, Anita Sarkeesian is a con-artist and her whole feminist frequency setup is a scam. Given the available evidence I can say this almost completely ensure that I'm right.

...What evidence is that?  I've been following the Sarkeesian thing fairly closely since her kickstarter and I'm seeing no evidence it was a scam. 

The kickstarter was to raise funds for a series of videos to study games; specifically the damsel in distress trope.  It's perfectly legitimate to ask people to contribute to the project, and if it's something they want to see, it's perfectly legitimate for people to fund it.

If she then proceeded to take the money and run, I'd agree with you it's a scam - but there's 4 videos so far to the contrary.

Otherwise I'm unsure what you mean.  I'm pretty sure she sets to do out exactly what her kickstarter and website outline - feminist media criticism.  I've read her dissertation (it wasn't very good imo; I found the analysis shallow) and it's on representations of women in sci-fi.  Given that's an obvious interest for her, it's unsurprising to me that she then went on to look at representations of women in games.

She is either a feminist out to promote her ideology and frankly absurd claims regarding games on the behalf of her ideology and herself [...]

Um.  Yes, she's a feminist out to promote her ideology.  Of course she is...That's self-evident, isn't it? 

It's media criticism through a feminist lens. Which is...no different from literary criticism, where you can read things (re: interpret) from a variety of different perspectives and schools of thought.  One of which is feminist, but it could just have easily have been Marxist or post-structural or whatever else.

As far as I can see she's actively legitimizing gaming as a medium, considering it culturally equal to that of literature, by approaching analysis in the same way.

The point of criticism and theory isn't to be the final argument; it's to approach things from different points of view and hopefully finding new ways of looking at things.

What absurd claims are you referring to?

[...]or she is not even a feminist and ride the professional victim-hood trend and feminism as a crude, but admittedly very effective tool to get what she want.

Professional victim-hood trend? Eeeeh...

She set out to do something entirely reasonable and the backlash against her was immense and unjustified.

What is it you think she wants?  It seemed like she simply wanted to make some videos.  For a broader mission statement, it seems as if she found feminist theory too dry and academic and wanted to approach things in a more popularist way.  It isn't a criminal act.

when Sarkeesian does something and says something about gaming, it's all true because she is a woman and she said so, but when people oppose her it's all just more opposition to her on the grounds that she's a woman, and the serious counter-arguments against her goes mostly unheeded thanks to Sarkeesian's poisoning the well with impunity.

*blinks*

It is a shame that, if in all the shit flinging, some reasonable counter-arguments are lost.  As I've said earlier, the thing about analysis and criticism is that it's fundementally a discussion.  If someone wants to contest her interpretations (civilly) - or start their own project from a different perspective - that's all to the good in furthering the conversation. 

If that is the case though, it isn't her "poisoning the well" that's making the 'opposition' look bad.  It's the level of diatribe directed against her. To blame her for that is...I don't even know what that is.

The issue of rape is not gendered, but men are often not very eager to report their rapes to the authorities, and often when they do, they get laughed out of the building or treated as someone lying, delivering a false report.

It's absolutely gendered - I'm going to agree with Victoria Stecker's response here:

It is certainly true that men don't like to report rape, because it's embarassing, emasculating, something that happens to weaklings and women, etc, and they'll likely be treated like shit.

The reason they don't want to report it or will be laughed at, is because it's seen as weak and submissive, being a victim - i.e 'feminine'; the opposite of what men are supposed to be; 'masculine', strong and dominant.

Because the sources I've seen would indicate that there was never been a time when rape was okay, or violence against one's wife for that matter.

Interesting.  Yeah, it only became law here in recent times that raping your wife is a criminal offence.  It was just assumed that - because your wife has consented in terms of marriage contract (and in many different senses wives have been considered property) - it didn't count as rape.

Here's the wiki-page (I'm aware wikipedia is not the best source ever, but there's plenty of links on there to more verifiable sources) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital_rape

We're only talking recent history here - 1960s and 1970s. Where many social outlooks changed in the western world, including no longer classifying homosexuality as a mental illness.

This point is particularly pertinent I thinK:

Most of the Western World has been (and still is to a certain degree, especially the US) strongly influenced by Christianity. The Christian religion teaches that sexual relations before marriage ('fornication') as well as sexual relations by a married person with someone other than their spouse ('adultery') are sins, while sex within marriage is a duty. This concept of 'conjugal sexual rights' has the purpose to prevent sin (in the form of adultery and temptation) as well as to enable procreation. The Bible at 1 Corinthians 7:3-5 states that:[6]

"The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.".

The above is interpreted by some religious figures as to render marital rape an impossibility.[7] [8]However, not all religious figures hold this view.[9]

Interestingly, feminism has done little to nothing to debunk stigmas against men, but in fact helped to enforce many and make new ones.

Has it?

Because "gendered social stigma" includes men. Expecting women to be feminine and men to be masculine is unhelpful to both sexes if the either of those people don't conform to the traits we, as a society, decide to gender.

The strawman you speak of is in most case when it pops up not a strawman at all, it's quite real.

I can see why you'd think it by the people you may encounter online; particularly in the echo-chamber group-think scenarios.

But what we're talking about here is vocal minorities.

Regarding extremists - I don't really see it as my place to police anyone else, to be honest. However wrong they may be.
(I'll disagree and challenge things I don't agree with, sure, but I don't see that as policing)

"We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, "You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man." Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support, but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage, and we don't teach boys the same? We raise girls to see each other as competitors--not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing--but for the attention of men. We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are. "Feminist": the person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes."

"We teach boys to make themselves better. We say to boys, "you must have ambition and drive, and lots of it. You must aim to be successful, and very successful, otherwise you will not be good enough for the woman." Because I am male, I am expected to aspire towards self-sacrifice and be supportive. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that supporting and defending a female is the most important. Now, the role of supporter can be a source of joy and love and mutual respect, but why do we teach boys to aspire to be the supporters and defenders, and we don't teach girls the same? We raise boys to see each others as competitors--for jobs, social positions and resources, these are good things--they get you the attention of women. We teach boys that they can not be human beings in the way that girls are--girls are human beings, they are human doings. "Egalitarian": the person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes."

Yes to both.

While it's incredibly broad and divergent on many things, largely Feminism is about challenging those preconceptions and sees rigid gender roles - that we are indoctrinated to perform since birth - as harmful.  It is fundamentally egalitarian in this sense.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 18:14 by Kala »

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 04 Feb 2014, 17:17 »

Still, maybe it just looks worse on the outside; I'm not a girl.  I just know I've always grown up kind of happy I wasn't born one. 

Oh, I missed this the first time round, but yeah.  I think that's probably true.  When I was a child/pre-teen I was introduced by a friends older sister as "this is Kala, she hates girls." I didn't; I resented the pressure to conform I encountered at school and that's how it translated itself (unfortunately). 

I didn't really have the vocabulary or critical faculties to identify that at the time, though.  So as far as I was concerned, that pressure represented what girls were supposed to be, and I wasn't one of them.

I identify pretty strongly with Jenn Frank's I Was a Teenage Sexist because of that (albeit a bit earlier in my development - I was a pre-teen sexist! - but got over it by my teens).  She also discusses Feminism and the Anita Sarkeesian thing here.

On another note, a link that I just remembered that might be tangentially relevant is Jackson Katz's Violence against women—it's a men's issue, for another perspective.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 17:42 by Kala »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #43 on: 04 Feb 2014, 18:18 »

- -

You know I had a lengthy post typed out in response, but I was a little emotionally charged at the time, and more to the point I found a picture that illustrates the point better than I ever could.

The very model of a British Minmatarian

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #44 on: 04 Feb 2014, 20:06 »

Wow. Heed The Word or you're willfully ignorant. Haven't heard that sentiment outside of a church or political rally.

Let the others here debate your points, but your newly minted Throne Upon Which To Peer Upon the Unclean can go in the usual pile.

Good point, this is another notch to my stick of poorly chosen words and fucked-up ways of delivering a message. Guess that's what I get for posting when I'm emotionally in turmoil. What else is new, i wonder :roll:

It's not the impression I wanted to get across, so I'll go edit that out. And it's gone.

That is usually the red flag that allows you to completely ignore what someone is saying, regardless of their point. Radical conversions never lead to discussions worth having.
What a nice sentiment. If you don't like the tone of the messenger, just ignore the message out of hand.

For the record however, the impression offered by that line is not what I intended. If it was, I'd still leave it up. Consider that.

I'm not going to touch most of this, because it's subjective and I don't think it's worth trying to argue with you about. But there are a couple of objective issues here that happen to matter a great deal to me.

Disclaimer: This is written from the perspective of a WASP male in the United States (otherwise known as life on easy mode).
To start with, you will have to explain to me what a WASP male is, the term is new to me. Also, how is this life on "easy mode"? The idea confuses me, sorry :s

You've talked a lot about dismissing statistics and then decided to throw out some vague "how often" stuff without numbers to back it up. So here's a few for the US, sourced here:

Even a study using narrower definitions of rape (avoiding things like having sex while too drunk to give consent, even though that's supposed to be considered rape) found that 0.2% of women and 0.01% of men were in the US were raped in 2010. That's around 300,000 women compared to 15,000 men. In addition, women are raped almost exclusively by men. Men are also raped primarily by other men, although instances of women raping men (having sex without consent) do occur. Put together, roughtly 99% of rapists are men.

Even if this is true, (it conflicts a bit with other sources I've seen, though those again conflict with others. Sorry, trying to keep and open mind here) my point and issue is that feminists may care for the 300K women, but don't seem even able to acknowledge that the 15K yearly male victims even exist. Why is this, and why can't both be dealt with? Claiming to stand for equality and only dealing with, let alone only acknowledging the female victims is dishonest, in my view.

The issue of rape is not gendered, but men are often not very eager to report their rapes to the authorities, and often when they do, they get laughed out of the building or treated as someone lying, delivering a false report. This is ironic, considering how often women have been reported to use false reporting of rape as weapons against men.

and this started well and then went - off the rails, let's say.

It is certainly true that men don't like to report rape, because it's embarassing, emasculating, something that happens to weaklings and women, etc, and they'll likely be treated like shit. On the other hand, women frequently fail to report rape because they're treated pretty much the same way. Turns out society treats rape victims really terribly, who knew.

You just provided perfect evidence of this, although you phrased it in such a way that you can still deny actually believing it's true. Because it isn't: False reports of rape occur at approximately the same rate as false reports of other crimes: 2%-5%. And yet there is a perception, driven by low rates of arrest and conviction, that half or more of all rape reports by women are false.

I don't "believe" anything regarding this topic, I try to keep and open mind and information on this is often contradictory. For all the sources I've seen that down-play false rape accusations as 5% or less of all cases, many others claim numbers around 10-40% or even 50% in some cases, though most are at least honest about the not-bullet-proof means of tallying cases, making it hard to be accurate, even if they try to be as fair as possible. I therefor lean more towards number around 10-20% at most, but even tihs personal guess/estimate by me is somewhat irrelevant to my issue with this anyway.

False rape accusations happen. When they do, the vast majority of reported cases don't hold any penalty at all for the accuser, who is almost always a woman accusing a man. For the man though, the accusation itself is often very damaging, it can easily create life-long social stigma. He's been accused, so many will believe there is something to it, even if he was proven innocent.

My issue with all this is the usual. There are issues affecting both genders, but the undisputed biggest movement for "equality" that has the best PR department and the best pull on governments - Feminism - don't seem to give a shit about half of the issues - namely those that effect men. Your own points here in your reply seem to me to hold much the same viewpoints. There are load's of crap that effect women, and many that effect men. But apparently because the ones that affect women are in your view worse than the rest, they are more important. I'll reply more specifically to each point.

as for your end quote...

yes, it sucks that society pushes men and women to do things and be things they might not be naturally driven toward. On the other hand, that does not automatically put them on the same level. A society which tells me that I should be motivated to be successful because I'm male and my wife should be subservient because she's female sucks for both of us - but it sucks tremendously more for her.

I don't care about them being on the same level or not. I modified that quote made by a feminist to highlight issues that face women, to create a near identical one that face men. The point was that pre-set social expectations affects men to, ergo it's a problem for both genders. I don't care who has it worse, I care that we agree with both issues and deal with both. Because overwhelmingly caring for the issue facing women and ignoring the men, or the other way around, is meaningless if your trying to gain equality. Feminism don't seem to do that, least not to me. but I do. Thus the whole point of this tread on Backstage about raising the issue and starting off this debate on equality.

Thank you for participating, by the way.

Imagine two people in the emergency room. One of them has a migraine and is in tremendous pain. The other has a gunshot wound. The doctors are focusing on the one with the gunshot wound, because that's the worse injury.

In my opinion, the anti-feminist movements are like the guy with the migraine claiming that the guy with the gunshot is exaggerating. That the guy with the gunshot is somehow denying the existance of the other guy's pain. That the fact that they are both in pain means that there condition is equal and that the gunshot doesn't deserve special attention.

Nice analogy. Problem with the analogy is that who is the gun-shot victim and who is the migraine sufferer depends on what particular issue we speak of. In some case it's the woman who has been shot and an insensitive man bitches that he's not treated in her stead, in some cases the roles are reversed. Either way, they both have issues and both suffer from problems that should and can be dealt with. Why does it have to be one over the other? In the case of your example, why can't the one with the gun-shot wound be taken to the operating table while the migraine victim get's the needed treatment at the same time?

But the truth is, neither of these injuries negates the other. The fact that one guy has a gunshot wound and is dying doesn't minimize the pain experienced by the guy with the migraine. But neither does the pain of the man with the migraine make gunshot wound less serious. They're both bad, but one is much worse.

Society sends both genders a lot of fucked up messages about who and how we should be, but anyone trying to make it seem like the fucked up messages society sends me as a man are as bad as the fucked up messages society sends my wife as a woman is full of shit.

You are completely right, one issue is worse than the other. And yet, both are still issues. Can we please agree to deal with both and stop acting like it's all or nothing, only one of them get's treated ever? Because in that case the gun-shot always get's treatment no matter what, on the grounds that it's more serious an issue, but this still won't help the person with the migraine at all.

As for your opinion on who has it worse off between you and your wife, I won't be able to comment on your two specifically, I don't know either of you :) But I would think a more fair and just society don't just tell your wife how her issue can be resolved and fixed, it would tell you how you can fix yours too. At least I'd hope so...

@Nmaro Makari

Very nice. Now reverse the genders in that comic and you have the problem seen form the other side. Ergo, my point. You won't fix the issue or solve anything if you only focus on one out of two sides of said issue. I had hoped you would respond with your own opinion on this instead of telling me what a comic high-lighting the issue says, but I can't exactly force you, can I? :P

@Kala

I'm sorry, my time for tonight is up. I'll respond to your excellent post tomorrow, or as soon as I can.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5