Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Equality: is it really what we all want?  (Read 9058 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Equality: is it really what we all want?
« on: 13 Dec 2013, 19:00 »

I used to think so. Well, maybe not *everyone* but most people who care about things like equal rights and responsibilities, fairness and justice for all regardless of gender, genetics, social standing etc.

As a Egalitarian, or Humanist, or whatever I can be refereed to as, for the longest time I was under the belief that, among other things, feminists was on top of things like this. I had heard from several sources that this particular movement seeks equality, fair rights for women and men, and so on. They were also quite entrenched in society as a group so yeah, I was like "it's in good hands then."

However, I never bothered to dig to deeply on the topic, and for years mostly content to keep my contempt for inequality for men and women mostly to myself. I do believe I've on occasion made my disgust for some unjust norms in society regarding what's fair and right for men and other people known here on Backstage for instance, as well as what people expect of children and such, even if that was mostly commentary in light of other topics, such as Skyrim, of all things.

Well, about 2 days ago I was looking over YouTube for random anime and game OST's and/or some other music, and suddenly a video popped up in my 'recommended for you' tab on the right. YT is fond of doing that on occasion and sometimes they link you really strange stuff you just have to wonder, "why would I want to see this, wtf is your problem YT?" I followed the link. I assumed it was at first a feminist explaining or discussing some issue, and as I had the time, I guessed I'd go hear what this was about. I am both a little glad and very sad to have been proven perfectly wrong. It was not a feminist video at all, but a video from Canadian Men's Right's Movement member, Egalitarian and anti-feminist Karen Straughan, (A handle, I'm sure) also known as "Girl Writes What?" (GWW) on the internet.

YT account can be found here, and I would suggest to anyone interested in hearing what she has to say to start with her first video, under videos - oldest first. She primarily blogs however, here.

A word of warning though that I feel I should offer. Personally, I am a fan of checking both sides of a story, and have tried to stick to this by checking up on facts GWW brings up, as well as what those she often responds to have claimed.

Thankfully for me she keeps making it easy to find most of this so it wasn't hard. The thing I've found is, so far I've yet to see her be WRONG. Meaning that my only conclusion so far as that through her intelligent, rational, well articulated and reasonable arguments and statements, there is mostly the truth to be found. And that depresses me. The effectiveness she has displayed deconstructing the fraud I'd call the feminist movement is just out-right depressing, in these days of mid-December and the holidays and so on, I feel nothing but a profound sadness.

I can imagine what Neo felt like after waking up from swallowing his red pill and getting to see what reality is really like. Karen used this metaphor herself to describe what it was like to realize how far this issue actually goes, and I have to say it was pretty fucking apt.

But for those of you who do, you have your links.

Finally, I would like to state that one of the things that depress me the most is that, for a movement that claims to value equality and things like freedom of speech, people seem happy to target this YT-er and blogger for her message, and still keep a pretty high opinion of themselves. Just go look up urban dictionary and find "Egalitarian" second entry, or any entry for "Feminist". There have been more serious cases as well.

Anyhow, I need sleep, plenty to do tomorrow, I will be gone for a few days with my family come tomorrow afternoon, I simply felt I should share this with you before I forgot. Sorry for the long ramble-like post.

- BB
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 18:39 by BloodBird »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Equality: is it really what we all want?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2013, 19:29 »

So, as with most movements, there is a core message (women being equal to men) and then there is how the movement is co-opted (women over men).

For example, my mother-in-law is a feminist, as in she supports equal opportunity for men and women and attempts to hold them to the same standards and did so in the 1960s and 1970s when a "proper lady" would never have done such things.

However, for some (not my mother-in-law) equal opportunity and standards is entirely insufficient.

Vikarion

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2013, 23:29 »

Ohhhhhhhh boy.

Alright, this is just a bit of wisdom:

First, I'm definitely not affiliated with any men's group.

Ok. Second, BB, if I were you, I'd quickly learn the value of not publicly acknowledging any agreement with any "red pill", "MRA" or "MGTOW" set of beliefs, group, blogger, or poster. That is the best way to get blacklisted, fast. I've seen it happen, albeit from the periphery, and it was impressive. Read what you wanna read, think what you wanna think, but for god's sake, don't talk about how you totally agree with a socially unacceptable opinion until you've made damn sure that you don't want to be remembered for that and only that first.

Third, they could be wrong. Probably not a good idea to profess belief off of one blog and youtube channel.

Fourth, even if they're right, so what? Like you're gonna change the tide. What will ruining your reputation do for it? I read a bit of her blog - even if she were right about everything, there's nothing that spreading it would do for you.

Fifth, have you read sites and blogs that contradict these views?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2013, 03:49 by Vikarion »

Vikarion

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:46 »

And now, for a bit of the more personal, as a counterpart to my above post.

I've read both radical feminists and masculinists. I've read both Men's Rights Activists and relatively moderate feminists. I've tried to have an open mind, and I generally find in myself an inherent dislike and distrust of MRAs. But, I must admit, I don't really like either feminists or MRAs that much.

I don't know that women have achieved equality, and I don't really care. I've had to work very hard in my life, physically hard, just to have enough money to eat, and I don't particularly care whether the fact that I was able to manage that successfully came about because of some privilege. If the job I get comes at the expense of a minority or a woman, so much the worse for them. I want to survive - equality means nothing to the dead.

I've read some who say that the expectations on me are the result of the "Patriarchy" - an explanation which seems most notable for its infinite elasticity in its ability to explain. I find it to be fairly unsatisfying, partly for that reason.

Are the more extreme forms of feminism correct?

Well, I grew up with a mother that most people would call abusive, although I did not tend to think of it that way at the time. Not just "emotionally abusive", although that was managed as well, but "trying to brain you with a pewter display tray" abusive. Or, if violence against men doesn't count, as it does not seem to for many, "punching your sisters" abusive. But if you do care about that sort of thing, I saw her abuse my father for years, while he did everything for her. Stayed home from work, paid for practically her every whim, took her where she wanted to go, stayed up until three in the morning to rub her back - I could write pages. In return, she slapped him, hit him, threw glasses at him, spent about 2 hours yelling at him each day, tore him down in front of others, and told him to commit suicide outside the house so he wouldn't make a mess.

I'm reasonably certain that women commit domestic violence.

I could speak of how I was treated, but I'll mostly refrain. To give you a taste, however, I was punished for simply reading as a child, and so harshly that my sister refused to learn how to read a word until she was about 13, because she was afraid of the same treatment. All of us were denied any real schooling. I don't particularly mind the abuse growing up, but I do resent never having been given the opportunity to make something of myself. I'd like to think I've done fairly well as it is. I make pretty decent money, and I educated myself to get there. But my sisters did less well, being less inherently aggressive.

So I'm also reasonably certain that mothers are not always the best parents for their children.

Yet, I was friends with some guys whose father did essentially the same things. So people are people, and power is power. Is it surprising, that when giving the opportunity, women behave as well or as badly as men? Only if one has the perspective that women are always the oppressed gender. If I find that unlikely, perhaps I have reason.

My experience with these sorts of situations in regards to feminists is interesting. Some will simply react with - as it seems to me - nearly melodramatic revulsion. Some will assert that it is an artifact of patriarchy - which, as a single white male, I am apparently a key member and supporter of. And some simply refuse to accept the narratives as offered - to some, it is impossible that a woman could abuse a man without cause. These, among other responses, lead me to think that feminism is less than monolithic - that it is a rather diverse set of individual views. So, to take my own perspective, from the personal to the political, as it were, I can't say that I know that one can simply attack all of feminism as being anti-male.

But if it were, would that be surprising? Feminism started with absolute, certain injustices that it sought to correct. But what group seeks to give up privileges? If women possess some privileges, we would not realistically expect them to seek the loss of those. No one wishes to lose advantages. Or, to put it another way "Rock needs a nerf. Paper is fine. - from: Scissors".

This is natural. We tend to focus on our own problems. If one is an African-American descendant of southern slaves, one is not likely to be overly worried about the thousands or millions of whites enslaved by Barbary slavers. If one is a feminist, one is not likely to be overly focused on the fact that hundred of thousands or even millions of men were drafted to die for their country in Western Europe/the U.S., but not one woman. I'm not sure whether it is reasonable to ask that that be held in mind, but I am sure that it will not be. People do not hold every ill in the world in their hearts, they usually pick one or two and work on those.

So, i suppose, my question is this: what do you want out of this? Feminists, on the whole, aren't going to advocate for equality. They are going to advocate for women, because they see women as being disadvantaged. That's certainly true, in many places. Are you hoping that they'll give up their privileges, assuming they have some? Ha. What group voluntarily does that? Perhaps you can assert rights you think you are denied, but even if you are right and you manage it, that is a thankless task.

But if you are merely alarmed for yourself, there is an easy solution: learn to enjoy living alone. Married people are not, statistically, happier than single people, and in the United States, at least, most marriages end in divorce, which leads to more net unhappiness. Non-divorced singles seem to live a fairly long time, and there's nothing stopping you from using that time as you want. If gender inequalities in domestic relationships troubles you, there's much to be said for the single life. If I might offer some advice, I'd simply note that I've found that staying in shape and keeping the muscle mass up helps you stay happy. So exercise, eat well, and enjoy yourself apart from the gender wars - and you won't have to worry about any of it.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2013, 03:40 by Vikarion »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2013, 07:11 »

I'm pretty much with orange on this one. There's a difference between the feminist movement of yesteryear and what we have today - or at least how the general perception of the term is interpreted.

One promotes actual equality based on the common-sense definition of the word.

The other promotes misandry and a switch to the complete opposite of the situation that prompted the original feminist movement in the first place.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2013, 09:00 »

You will always have pitchforks raised when moderate people start to talk about movements like those, that suffer from a terrible image thanks to all the strawmen and misconceptions that run all around.

This person is getting an incredible amount of flak for what she says ? Well, the other side gets the same treatment as well (cf Anita Sarkeesian / Feminist Frequency). It's sad.

However despite the links you provided, i'm unable to find a proper article or YT video where she actually exposes her views...

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:57 »

Going to go on a little tangent in reply to a quote.

So, as with most movements, there is a core message (women being equal to men) and then there is how the movement is co-opted (women over men).

This.  Or perhaps how the movement is interpreted, perceived or labelled.  There is a stereotype that's quite pervasive of 'feminazi's' and rabid men-hating that gets (unfairly I think) converged onto the word 'feminism'.  This is often unhelped by an inability to separate 'men' (a gender) from 'patriachy' (a system).

I'm also noting something of a distinction between the feminism(s) encountered in critical theory, and the feminism I encounter on the internet; maybe specifically 'tumblr feminists'...which is by no means all of people identifying as such on tumblr, but there does seem to be...perhaps an over-emphasis on language and the doctrine that you have to change the language before you can change meaning which ultimately seems to manifest as policing language choices and comes across as...well...petty. Or largely unnecessary.  Or to the point where the meaning is lost or it becomes impossible not to cause offence at some point by not using the prescribed vocabulary.

Sometimes that's valid.  But when it's so doggedly enforced or corrected - I don't know.  It just seems to place the importance (at times) on the wrong places, or deliberately interpreting something in a way that wasn't intended to the extent that it seems like nitpicking.

Though I wonder if that's perhaps less to do with feminism and more to do with the internet.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2013, 13:50 »

However despite the links you provided, i'm unable to find a proper article or YT video where she actually exposes her views...

I went back in her blog a little bit, though I didn't find any kind of 'about' or neat sum up of her ideas.  Though maybe there was a post that specified.

There's this entry, where I think she's positing that it's easier for a woman to be masculine than for a man to be feminine (which in some ways I think is true) http://owningyourshit.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/gender-bendingno-girlie-men-allowed.html and this entry where she's weighing up the historical pros and cons of the power balance between the sexes http://owningyourshit.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/can-we-redefine-terms-please.html

I'll admit to going no further down the rabbit hole than that, though.

I guess my main problem (even while agreeing to an extent) with her first post is it's mainly backed up anecdotally.  Not that a blog post needs to be particularly rigorous, and personal is the correct register, just that saying she's had no problem identifying as a masculine woman and finding heterosexual partners and (presumably) finding this all comparatively easy and prejudice free, doesn't mean everybody has had a similar experience - or that it's a general rule.

I think instead of stating
For men, gender is much more severely enforced.
it might be fairer to say "for men, gender is differently enforced."  I think for both, gender roles can be rigidly enforced, albeit in different ways.  (and I think for all, both men and women, that can be fairly detrimental).

Equally, her assertion that indoctrination of masculinity starts from the cradle is equally applicable to both genders; just that femininity is indoctrinated from the cradle to girls.  The typical dyad of blue/pink, gendered toys, how gently the kids are played with and so on and so forth.

The second blog post she just frames the debate from power to perhaps obligation.  I have heard it more crudely phrased that, before they entered the salaried work-force, women had it better, easier.  I think superficially it can seem so, and yes, with power does come responsibilities, obligation.  Hard back breaking labour (aside from literal going into labour) was expected from one sex and not the other.  I don't think anyone is going to say that men had it easy because they got to be the bread winners.  It's just not necessary to denigrate one sex while referring to the other.

But the problem, ultimately, in saying that women had it easy because they weren't required to do back breaking labour, and (often) didn't have responsibilities to society beyond caring for the home and family was that you needed to find a man.  You were not your own autonomous person with your own agency, that choice to support yourself and your family, however hard it was for men, was often not available for women.  Your worth as a human being was tied to someone else's.

There are obviously inherent problems with this.  Reading an (granted, fairly dramatic retelling) account of Mary Eleanor Bowes was particularly chilling.  She suffered some fairly horrific physical abuses at the hands of her husband and took the extremely rare and difficult step of successfully divorcing him on that basis.  Not to downplay her accomplishments at all, but as hard won as that was, I don't think it would've been possible for someone poor; it probably helped that was one of the richest women in England.   

I would certainly agree that gender roles were rigid regardless of which gender that was being applied to.  I don't think things were necessarily easy for anyone - though being rich helped (and it's worth noting that, regardless of how stringent gender roles have been enforced historically in society, though I guess I'm mainly thinking British 18th c for whatever reason, there were many individuals who defied them in one way or another).

But yeah.  Not sure from at least those 2 posts at least how she defrauds feminism, necessarily.  She's just having opinions about stuff on her blog.  Which is fine. 
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2013, 13:54 by Kala »

Makoto Priano

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2013, 14:00 »

I think I'd go with Kala mostly on this. Please note that this discussion is going to be from the perspective of a guy in the US.

That said, the issue I have with MRA and the perception of modern feminism is that MRA holds up comparatively infrequent instances of abuse of men and paints it as endemic and frequent, while abuse of women does in fact remain endemic and frequent. Consider that the recent spate of recorded high school rape of passed-out girls is frequently responded to with, "What was she thinking?," "She deserved it for going out with guys!," and "They shouldn't have recorded it!" And this is standard thinking. Someone very dear to me was, when younger and naive, given a Long Island Iced Tea by a fellow who was once her teacher in high school, and later sexually assaulted by him-- because she assumed she could trust him and could treat him as a friend, where he assumed that she was a female and thus he could do with her as he pleased, once she was drunk enough to not resist.

All she could get him on was serving alcohol to a minor. Fortunately, this means he won't be in a position of trust any more, but the point stands that this is not uncommon. Consider the proportion of women who will be raped at some point in their lives. Surely, yes, men are raped too -- but what portion of the population? This indicates that the issue is gendered, despite the progress that has been made over the last few decades, over the last century.

Now, speaking generally: the waves of feminism.

First-wave feminism is what we think of as the suffragist movement, about women's political participation and ability to inherit -- basic legal rights necessary to participate in society.

Second-wave feminism is the feminism of the '60s and '70s -- about participation in the job market, about the basic body self-determination (remember that until recently, a married woman could be raped by her husband-- there was a presumption that her body was his to do with as he pleased), and so on.

Third wave feminism-- this is where people are running into issues. Third-wave feminism is about the freedom from gendered social stigma in daily life. Consider what we think of a woman who parties or sleeps around-- she's a dirty slut, to be used and discarded, who can't be raped because clearly she was asking for it. And a man who parties and sleeps around? Odds are, unless he's pretty creepy, we sort of envy him, we give him high-fives.

There is a strong reaction to feminism. Given a chance, reactionaries will happily dismantle this social progress, using a strawman of misandry and man-hating, of women being unable to commit heinous crimes because only men are criminals, and all men are criminals. Surely, the militants aren't ideal-- even if they aren't misandrists, their focus on opaque philosophy of language and social structures that are essentially invisible to participants can confuse or turn off your average person, male or female.

Violence is never acceptable, whether emotional or physical, against man or woman. I'm sorry that you suffered violence, Vikarion; that's a terrible thing to face coming from family. Thank you for being able to share it. I understand, I think; my dad was a verbally abusive alcoholic. I'm still dealing with it.

I'd agree with you that violence is pervasive and human, and that unbalanced people regardless of gender will use it against others. This is not acceptable. I would propose that the efforts of feminism are, at least, to remove the sanction of society from the use of sexual violence against women-- something that is tacitly present whenever we go, "She was asking for it."

Makoto Priano

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2013, 14:04 »

(oh, and forgot an important point-- yes. Equality? We want it. I want people to have the legal autonomy and the social freedom to do as they like with who they like, how they like, so long as all involved are consenting adults; to pursue jobs they are capable of, to be paid according to their ability, without stigma or pay differentials based on gender; to pay taxes or raise kids or serve in the military without being banned from certain roles because, "lols. househusband? does she own your balls?," or "lols. women with guns? what if she has a period in the middle of Fallujah? hurhurhur.")

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2013, 16:20 »

I don't know, I've never had a woman accuse me of treating her as a second-class citizen.  Maybe in America, it's a little bit much when you hear a woman ranting about men being complete shits and how unequal it is.  However, it still does exist, and it's not all men who are to blame for keeping women in the house with the kids.  Sometimes, that's just tradition in households and there's not much you can do about it.  It's not even really up to us to say that's better or worse as a model of family life.

I guess that, being married and relatively stable, my brushes with extreme feminism are few and far between.  I like to think we approach our relationship as equal partners, mostly because I don't feel like paying for everything or being the sole breadwinner for a housewife.  She can work and contribute as equally as she wants!

On the other hand, while it's debatable in the western world whether or not feminism goes too far sometimes and whether it's even necessary, outside of our developed world is another story.  Feminism still does have a lot of work to do, namely in places where being a woman doesn't just mean having a harder time getting a CEO position, but means your entire worth to your family might be a few goats that can be garnered when you're married to a wealthy carpet salesman who can beat you to within an inch of your life for bothering him.  I'm willing to tolerate a little awkward eye-rolls when someone flies off the hinge here to keep the movement credited where it's needed.

Drakolus

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2013, 17:04 »

((Soapbox))

I'm sorry for the sense of loss, betrayal and exhaustion you probably feel.  If it makes you feel any better though, or opens your eyes a bit, pretty much every Ideal I've ever believed in has turned out to be false...or at least heavily co-opted by interest groups.

I believed in the particular Church I went to when I was young.  I came to find out that it felt more like yet another power structure bent on domination and wealth accrual.  So I stopped believing.

I believed that the particular Military Service I joined was committed to the defense and betterment of my Nation.  Yup, that one fell through as well.  It was ran more like a corporation that produced terrible leaders and random tasks that served little to no purpose.  So I stopped believing.

I've believed in various public figures or promises of Hope and Change.  All of them have fallen far short of any respectable mark.  So again, I stopped believing.

And the ones that hurt the most.  Just about every promise that has ever been made to me by someone I loved and trusted has been broken.  Same as above.

The only ideologies, ideals, goals and beliefs worth having and following are your own.  The minute you let them get out of your head and hands, they are co-opted by those who would abuse them for the power they generate.  I hope you can find some kind of peace with your beliefs and seek to pursue them for the betterment of all, and not the domination and destruction of them.

((/Soapbox))

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2013, 21:12 »

((Soapbox))

I'm sorry for the sense of loss, betrayal and exhaustion you probably feel.  If it makes you feel any better though, or opens your eyes a bit, pretty much every Ideal I've ever believed in has turned out to be false...or at least heavily co-opted by interest groups.

I believed in the particular Church I went to when I was young.  I came to find out that it felt more like yet another power structure bent on domination and wealth accrual.  So I stopped believing.

I believed that the particular Military Service I joined was committed to the defense and betterment of my Nation.  Yup, that one fell through as well.  It was ran more like a corporation that produced terrible leaders and random tasks that served little to no purpose.  So I stopped believing.

I've believed in various public figures or promises of Hope and Change.  All of them have fallen far short of any respectable mark.  So again, I stopped believing.

And the ones that hurt the most.  Just about every promise that has ever been made to me by someone I loved and trusted has been broken.  Same as above.

The only ideologies, ideals, goals and beliefs worth having and following are your own.  The minute you let them get out of your head and hands, they are co-opted by those who would abuse them for the power they generate.  I hope you can find some kind of peace with your beliefs and seek to pursue them for the betterment of all, and not the domination and destruction of them.

((/Soapbox))

All I can think about is Steven's testimony before the Sanhedrin.

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2013, 22:54 »

I'm a bit reminded of the legal maxim of Hard Cases Make Bad Law - just that in this case it would be that Extremist Spokespeople don't make a movement - but they might be needed to keep a movement going. I am also reminded of real-time systems control - in order to attain a desired state quickly, you have to over-correct, even if it means that you have to back down a bit afterwards. There is no steady state in society - there will always be movement above and below the state you desire; it's intrinsic to feedback-driven systems.

Sometimes I read posts claiming that Feminism is no longer necessary, because we are now in an age where it is not unheard of that men are domestically abused by women. To which my response usually is that in the majority of cases, it's still women being abused by men; and Feminism won't have reached its goals until the relation is 50/50 (and ideally 0 total). And that without Feminism raising the topic of domestic abuse as such, men wouldn't even dare to acknowledge if they are victims of domestic abuse.

I admit that this comment doesn't have much of a point, just two thoughts. But I wanted to mention them.

Vikarion

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2013, 01:22 »

Violence is never acceptable, whether emotional or physical, against man or woman. I'm sorry that you suffered violence, Vikarion; that's a terrible thing to face coming from family. Thank you for being able to share it. I understand, I think; my dad was a verbally abusive alcoholic. I'm still dealing with it.

I appreciate the sympathy, but, understand that I don't really feel bad about being attacked or abused, so it's not really hard to share what I did. My sisters do feel bad, both for themselves and, oddly enough, for me, but I'm fine. My only regret is that I never had the chance to take the SATs, so that I might achieved a higher education.

My point isn't sympathy, it's this: feminism has a large "range" of ideas. Some feminists are just interested in women being treated fairly. I understand that.

But a fairly large range of the ideas I've read seem to attribute the "unfair" actions of society to men, and to assume that society, as it is currently formulated, is designed to favor men. Many advocates of this sort of view seem to also attribute the "bad" actions of women at least in part to this sort of society. And, lastly, it seems to be frequently held that the inherent nature of men upholds and supports this sort of society.

It could be. But it seems to be used to explain too much, too often. I don't actually believe that my actions, or the actions of my father, had anything to do with the way my mother acted. I don't think that my mother's strong religious beliefs were the result of male influence - she was the one who originally chose them (as my father and mother were not originally that religious), and who radicalized them within our home. Or, to put it another way, my mother adopted a radically traditionalist narrative for our home, against the desires of virtually everyone else in it. And she was not the only one - in many of the other families in our little cult, I observed that it was most often the mother who drove the family in that direction.

Why did she do this, if it is an inherently patriarchal man-favoring structure? Because, in many ways, it isn't. The same idea that gives the mother the home as her sphere of influence also gives her authority within that sphere, as historians such as James McPherson have noted. My mother did not want to work. She wanted security, a house, higher social status, the ability to show off her family, and an income. She got that from my dad - who, incidentally, she used to work with, and he would have preferred her to have kept working.

As a note, I'd point out that the image of the dominated housewife is no less real - the fun thing about the "traditional family" is that power in the relationship flows to whoever is more aggressive and less caring.

What relation does this have to the topic? Simply this: I am extraordinarily skeptical of the theory that men have had it all their way up to this point, that women have only been the victims, and that society is biased against women, full stop. One might say that I have a slightly higher opinion of women than to think that they were entirely the oppressed class for the last several thousand years, everywhere in the civilized world.

Probably about 750,000 American soldiers died in the American Civil war. They were, almost to the last one, men. Many of them were encouraged or nigh-forced to go by their wives, especially in the South (again, reference to McPherson) - and this in a society where white women were nearly property in some areas. Millions of soldiers also died in World War One, where the contribution of at least one feminist group was pinning white feathers on men who did not wish to participate in that entirely pointless war. If most CEOs are men, it is also true that a large majority of the homeless are men, too.

This sounds a bit mens-rightish, but I do think it is a reasonable question: if we live in a patriarchy, a society which moves to oppress women, why are the biggest losers often also men? The ones who get dead, diseased, who are provided no help when down, and are otherwise disposable to society tend to be men, especially single men. Is it then a "patriarchal" system, a  system for the benefit of men and by the design of men? I don't see how one can conclude that without thus concluding that men are therefore inherently violent, self-destructive, and inferior to women.

Or one can conclude that systems of societal oppression are more complex than can be attributed to such simple drivers as gender, or social constructions, or class. If all of history has not, indeed, been the war of class against class, or race against race, then it probably is an error to conclude that we can construct a model in which men against women is the accurate explanation.

None of this is to say that women should not be equal. But it is difficult to see that women would want to be equal in all areas. Do women really want to be funneled into the military machine as men are? Do single women want to be homeless as often as single men are? Do women want to be equally represented in dangerous and shitty jobs? Do women want to be sentenced exactly the same as men are? Do women want to be the ones who ask men out on dates and pay for the meal (if we want to get petty). I haven't met many men who would be pleased to seek representation for their gender in these areas, and I rather doubt that women would. Having been often treated favorably in these areas, I doubt that many women would want to change that - and it shows.

Now, I think women should be equal, and across the board, at that. But if you don't want to embrace the ugly side of equality, we can put all this talk of feminism being about equality by the boards. What it then becomes is the desire to be equal in all the fun areas - the CEOs, the pay rate, etc. As I've said before, I think that that is a normal reaction. Still, it's not good for a movement that tries to use equality as a calling card.

Of course, there is another response that is taken, and that is the one of portraying women as the victims of whatever happens, and thus deserving of special treatment. You can see examples of this all over the place. Here's one from Hillary Clinton:

Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today’s warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children.

Now, as insensitive as I am, this still seems hilariously stupid. In general, we tend to act as though being dead is probably the worst thing that could happen to us. If grief, or raising children alone, or becoming a refugee was worse, well, then, the logical thing to do would be to off yourself as soon as you lost someone. But aside from that, this sort of thinking completely skips over the cost to the men - to lose their friends, brothers, and buddies, and, also, to lose their life. That's not to say that women have not - especially in more modern wars - been major victims. However, one might suppose that it is a bit more likely that the ones who tend to get dead the most (men, civilian and military), tend to be the biggest victims.

That's just an example, but others can be found upon request. I've seen varieties of it myself - if a women hits a man, she must have had a good reason/he must have provoked her or threatened her. Actually, that was my mom's favorite defense. The irony of the fact that it is also a favorite of male abusers is not lost on me. And this thread stretches both through some forms of feminism and traditionalism. Consider this following article:

http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest-blogger-starling-schrodinger%E2%80%99s-rapist-or-a-guy%E2%80%99s-guide-to-approaching-strange-women-without-being-maced/

In this article, a woman defends the idea of treating men as potential rapists until proven otherwise, because it is impossible to tell what man might be a rapist - and rape has a high cost for women. It's well-argued, I think, and I actually agreed, until I tried substituting other terms - for example, "black man" and "mugger", or "woman" and "shoplifter". When you realize that placing other nouns into the argument makes it incredibly racist or sexist, one begins to wonder if one isn't accepting a flawed method of thinking.

And I think that that is what really tends to piss some people off. Not the idea that women should be equal, but the idea that the historical position of women justifies placing them in a special class now, a class not subject to the sort of criticism or clear-eyed rationality that we enforce upon others.

All of this, however, does not deny that equality is a rational goal, and that women around the globe are treated very badly indeed in some places. So are many men. So are gays and lesbians, Christians, Hindus, indeed, virtually every creed, color, gender, and unmentioned minority is persecuted somewhere. I think that in reducing this irrational state of things, feminism is a necessary part. But the fact that it is necessary does not mean that it is perfect, or that it is special. And it is possible to, in the pursuit of fairness, wind up maintaining privileges.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2013, 03:35 by Vikarion »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5