Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 3103 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Planetside 2
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2012, 16:58 »

As an air pilot I would like more tools to deal with ground AA other than "look for the guy shooting you, spam rockets". As is the damage red flash spam and inability to tell where the AA battery is really sucks.

I don't think, at this point, that you have any authority whatsoever, to bitch.

Other than that, I agree completely, a better damage indication/direction system would be great.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2012, 18:48 »

As an air pilot I would like more tools to deal with ground AA other than "look for the guy shooting you, spam rockets". As is the damage red flash spam and inability to tell where the AA battery is really sucks.

I don't think, at this point, that you have any authority whatsoever, to bitch.

Other than that, I agree completely, a better damage indication/direction system would be great.

Considering my preferred Scythe design is the Turbolaser + Afterburner pods, I don't actually use rockets. Infantry I could mow down with the Turbolaser, but I can never distinguish them from a Skyguard, which a Turbolaser cannot deal with.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2012, 22:13 »

And just like that, I now have 6 beta keys.

8 days left until Beta ends. If you wish to test PS2 out before it launches you can ask me for a key, there is still a week worth of testing time left. More than enough for most things.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:36 »

fake edit: Holy shit I wrote a wall of text. Granted, this is my primary game right now :P

Beta sadly ends on the 16th (friday) and there will be three days of horrible withdrawal before the game launches on the 20th (tuesday).

Thoughts on the above discussion: the heavy SAM launcher has no resource cost, meaning you can cheaply spam them for quick anti air. Have your squad swap into heavies, fill the skies with missiles, swap back to whatever else - or don't, because you're already in the best anti-infantry class :P A quick nerf to those launchers makes sense, they used to 2-shot fighters.

AA in general will continue to be screwed up until SOE fixes the render distances. The fact that a dual-burster max can take down aircraft that can't actually see it yet is stupid. And libs can't defend themselves by shooting back at the tracers (if they're visible) because of retarded client-side hit detection: If you don't have it rendered, you can bomb the shit out of it, scare it to death (screen shaking, etc), but not do any damage. We tested this - flashes render at greater distance than infantry. Stand infantry next to flash, have lib fly up until infantry disappears, bomb flash. Flash explodes, infantry takes no damage. :psySOE:

They do seem to be swapping back and forth between "Air owns everything!" and "Air takes it up the exhaust pipe!" with their tweaks to armor and AA and what not. Right now they seem to have made a stalemate between air not being able to see the AA shooting at it and the AA not doing enough damage to kill anyways.

Visibility in aircraft is pretty awful (although not as bad as the flash - the quad that doesnt' allow you to turn your head?), free look is too limited and can't be used at all in 3rd person view. Most of the pilots I know fly in 3rd person and only swap to 1st when finally lining up a shot. I think 3rd person makes it easier to tell where shots are coming from, but I could be wrong. I almost never fly in first.

Re: different factions dominating: There's a lot of testing back and forth regarding who has the best/worse infantry weapons, atm I think the balance is in favor of the Vanu. In theory, NC have the highest hitting power but worst recoil, while the TR have the best sustained DPS but lowest damage per bullet, and the VS have minimal recoil and bullet drop. In practice, sustained DPS is meaningless when you die in 2-3 shots, but they're getting a little better at the weapon balance. They were supposed to take away the infiltrator shotgun, but failed, which is hilarious/pathetic/annoying.

As for ground vehicles, some small buffs are slowly maknig the prowler less shit, but it's still just a bad design when compared to the advantages of the vanguard (tank and gank) and the mag (uber mobility, strafing while shooting). The mag's mobility (climbing hills and moutains) bugs me most given the lack of hill-climbing torque on the other tanks.

Anyhow, aside from Indar still being designed to screw the TR over, faction dominance depends a lot on population - while server pop remains mostly balaned, look at the continent population and you'll see huge swings one way or another.

PS - currently playing NC on US East.

I always knew you were a closet Minnie! Anyhow, I'm TR on US East, name is Stecker. I'm going to find you, and I'm going to kill you (if you'll be nice enough to tell me your name). And then I'm going to recruit you to BWC to come kick ass and take names with me.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2012, 17:38 »

LOTS of us from here are now playing Vanu on Connery server.

We have a badass outfit and everything.

Come shoot stuff! It's free and awesome!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2012, 17:55 »

Steckersaurus will be there, although probably won't be played much. Main is still Stecker and we're on Mattherson.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2013, 20:03 »

So with PS2 still being free (if you don't mind the rather long road to earning everything by hand and with no boosts etc) and getting better, more balanced and optimized with every patch and the latest update introducing a kick-ass new system to the Indar continent for testing, I find myself playing this game for hours nearly every day the last few weeks.

Combine this with a new rig that can actually run this monster game almost completely painlessly (it get's a bit slow when there are hundreds of guys involved in massive fights) and I got all my FPS needs neatly covered.

Anyone else still enjoying this?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2013, 22:50 »

I play it periodically as well. My biggest obstacle continues to be my computer not being powerful enough; especially in indoors/"Urban" fights, my FPS slows to a crawl and graphics-intensive effects (a barrage of sudden gunfire, concussion grenades, lots of vehicles suddenly appearing) can outright freeze me.

Been having some decent times, though. I recently picked up my first 1000-cert weapon (Engie AT turret) and it's good fun so far. I'm just not sure how long it'll hold my attention if I have to spend months acquiring my next major weapon as well.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2013, 09:53 »

I still play a ton, and have good characters on all 3 factions.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2]