Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char once gave Kaleigh Doyle a lamb as a pet?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Borderlands 2 ?  (Read 2850 times)

Lyn Farel

Borderlands 2 ?
« on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:06 »

Nobody has tried it since its release ? I heard they improved their obscure/muddled class skills and also the story and narrative side of the game. Very tempted to try it even if it is more expensive than the first one. There is something in their universe that hooks you up even several years after you finished the game, even with a story that has always been secondary.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
Re: Borderlands 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:44 »

They made lots of good changes with the sequel. The weapon models are much more varied and the environment is not dull and repetitive. The combat is much more challenging and the mobs are pretty varied. The classes and skills are pretty useful too; It looks like they took out the weapon-specific skill improvements so you aren't trapped with certain weapon types, which always annoyed me. The story is a continuation of the original with a new cast of characters, and the dialog is meant to be humorous but often times tries too hard. It's an action oriented FPS, so plot is pretty simplistic and secondary to the overall goal, which is to get bigger guns and kill more faster!

Overall, I'm really impressed with this game. So far it's been worth the full price, unlike Diablo 3.

Desiderya

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:52 »

If you enjoyed Borderlands you'll love the shit out of that game.
It is much more entertaining and the complete gamedesign has been polished tremendously. The little annoyances/disappointments of Borderlands are mostly cured, basically every aspect of the game is in better shape. I could say more, but the first line kind of describes it. If you enjoyed Borderlands you'll have an absolute blast, because it is the same JUST BETTER. And it is rarely something that can be said about [Something] 2.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2012, 21:06 »

My opinion is expertly rendered here:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 05 Oct 2012, 13:51 »

Tons of fun.  More humor and better action than the first.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2012, 21:28 »

It's in my Top 5. Definitely the best game I've played this year. I'm currently rocking a level 50 Siren on playthrough 2.5 - if anyone wants to hang out, give me a bell.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2012, 04:37 »

My opinion of Borderlands is reflected by Yahtzee...it was just boring. Walking arou :bash:nd a dull brown landscape and that. Don't know how much the sequel is different.

Of course, because Borderlands 2 is a "Reddit Game", I don't go out of my way to express myself on it, heh.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 07 Oct 2012, 07:59 »

Not much different, but better overall with an improved gameplay and a bit more storytelling (and 100 times better cell-shaded graphics that run 100 times smoother). Yeah, I too got bored before the end of the first one. The only thing that kept me continuing was the possibility of better drops but mostly the atmosphere of the game, its universe. That's moslty what I like in this series.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2012, 09:04 »

Borderlands 2 is a "Reddit Game"

Hmm, I hadn't realized how much this might be true before, but I have noticed numerous jokes that depend entirely on your knowledge of Internet meme culture to work.

This fact aside, I too never made it to the end of the first game, but this one is more fun and I'm still amused (and trying to hook the wife on it too).

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2012, 10:00 »

The first borderlands suffered from a terrible wow-esque (!) quest system that kept sending you back to the same areas repeatedly to complete missions. In the first 2/3rds of the game you basically had to acclimate yourself to this bleak world full of trash and white trash yokels in hockey masks trying to kill you. The latter half of the game plot actually focuses, provides a coherent story goal, and pits you against a clear enemy. It held up as a strong game when it took the time to focus like that.

This new one has the same quest style but with more interactivity, plus the missions are related to the central plot or its friends in some way or another. It's a shame they didn't improve it so you could have more than one mission active at once, but I consider it a minor nuisance. What really annoys me is the inventory system and equipping items. >:-|

But yes, it's meme heavy, tries too hard in some places to be funny, and can be repetitive. To me the game is challenging, plays along the same idea as diablo (get better loot) except in an absurd environment; it's only a step away from serious sam, except with a bigger budget and probably takes itself as seriously. Usually when I'm done with a session of that I'm literally brain-dead from all the explosions, flashy lights, and maneuvering I had to do along the way. I'd play this over a modern warfare game any day.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2012, 10:04 »

Borderlands 2 is a "Reddit Game"

Hmm, I hadn't realized how much this might be true before, but I have noticed numerous jokes that depend entirely on your knowledge of Internet meme culture to work.

This fact aside, I too never made it to the end of the first game, but this one is more fun and I'm still amused (and trying to hook the wife on it too).

Heh, I didn't mean that, I meant more that it is seen as a Holy Grail amongst Internet denizens, thus if you smack it publically, you will feel the collective wrath of downvoting and negative comment replies. But it wouldn't surprise me that having meme jokes in it were common though :)

Also typing on my phone seemed to have butchered my post...

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #11 on: 07 Oct 2012, 10:42 »

But it wouldn't surprise me that having meme jokes in it were common though :)

Re: The positive reception circlejerk; Ah, ok.  See what you mean.

Re: Memes; There are plenty.  One that stood out to me early and often is...  Critical hit kills occasionally evoke a "Cool story, bro" comment from the Commando character.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2012, 13:53 »

Funny jokes.  Shit explodes.  SO MANY WEPUNZ.  Tannis storytime is best storytime \o/

Shut up I like it.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2012, 08:52 »

For all intents and purposes BL and BL2 are the same type of game Diablo is - one you either love or hate, wherever on the ends of that scale you land.

BL2 is a very good game for me in this regard; took most of what was crap in BL1 and fixed it. Repetitive environments? Fixed. Shitty cell-shading? Fixed. Dull looking weapons with little variety? Fixed. More interesting and interactive NPC's, bigger and more lively towns? Fixed. Refinement of humor? Fixed, meme's are far stronger in this one as well. That can be a good or bad thing, I mostly liked it.

It's not going to be the game for everyone, as emphasized in this tread, but those who do enjoy it are likely to enjoy it allot. Again, this seems to be the case. Personally, I've had a blast so far, and I've only got about 1/5 through it on the first run, due to waiting for nr.3 in a trio to get his Internet back so we can move on. I would be very happy if any spoilers are kept under spoiler tag. Thank you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2012, 04:45 »

For all intents and purposes BL and BL2 are the same type of game Diablo is - one you either love or hate, wherever on the ends of that scale you land.

I don't fall into these categories. I am enjoying it but I have never really been drawn to farming games like diablo. I mostly play it because the gameplay added value is "fun", and the universe/atmosphere is awesome.
Pages: [1] 2