Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Author Topic: RIP Sally Ride  (Read 943 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
RIP Sally Ride
« on: 23 Jul 2012, 20:20 »

In case you've missed it in other news, Sally Ride passed away.

For geeks of a particular age, Dr Ride was one of our childhood heroes. The first American woman in space, she also stood out to many of us for being a scientist (and not a military or test pilot) who became an astronaut. She also spent years involved in educational outreach and promotion of space programs - not to mention encouraging girls and young women to consider STEM careers.

I don't personally believe in an afterlife, but she's already paved the way to heaven for future generations.

Vikarion

Re: RIP Sally Ride
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2012, 22:00 »

I don't personally believe in an afterlife

Forgive me for asking, and this is purely curiosity, but I thought you were a Christian?

In any case, yeah, it's always sad when a pioneer passes away.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2012, 22:01 »

It's okay. I was, but I'm not now.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:07 »

To Ms. Ride, may her efforts continue to inspire others.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:10 »

Pour one out for the homegirl.

One of my earliest heroes.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2012, 04:39 »

May a billion more follow in her footsteps.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2012, 03:16 »

It is a huge loss.

What's even more depressing about it?  She was a lesbian and her partner of 27 years is not recognized by our government as a family member and as such will get absolutely none of the benefits or luxuries afforded to the spouses of government workers and astronauts.  Which is beyond tragic, it's downright criminal.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2012, 09:35 »

I am not sure if Sally Ride actually has much in the way of government benefits.  Her career at NASA was not particularly lengthy.  On the military side, it requires 20 years of service before one can retire with benefits.  There are no benefits for 19 years 364 days.  I am not exactly sure how it applies on the Government Civilian side.

But I do agree with the absurdity of two people who shared their lives not having spousal privileges.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2012, 10:22 »

Even more depressing: the commentary saying she isn't really an example to young woman and girls today because as a lesbian, her life story shows 'real' woman don't excel in science and math.

RIP Sally: you were fucking awesome.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.