Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider ships have the same design and golden sheen as Amarrian vessels, but are mottled in rust-like vermilion? (The Burning Life p. 80)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The monocle just got CRUSHED!  (Read 1920 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: The monocle just got CRUSHED!
« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2011, 18:42 »

The world is full of items that are worthless to some valuable to others; just because its a digital product doesn't mean It's worthless if the customer gets some use from it. That said, the philosophy that power can be bought in a game is a contentious matter amongst gamers and their perception of 'fair play' in PvP environments.  For me personally, I'd have to be pretty committed to a game to spend THAT much hard coin for pay to play items.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:57 »

An MMO has been my escape from the reality of my life, where I am poor as dirt. I can sit at the computer and play the game, and meet the other people in the game on "even terms" so to speak.

I cannot afford the real money things, so I suppose MMOs are just another thing I am soon to be too poor to enjoy. Isnt that awesome?

I mean, why play the game to earn some advantage, when you can just BUY IT? Right??

:roll:

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2011, 12:15 »

An MMO has been my escape from the reality of my life, where I am poor as dirt. I can sit at the computer and play the game, and meet the other people in the game on "even terms" so to speak.

I cannot afford the real money things, so I suppose MMOs are just another thing I am soon to be too poor to enjoy. Isnt that awesome?

I mean, why play the game to earn some advantage, when you can just BUY IT? Right??

:roll:

Here's the thing. I'm not exactly poor as dirt but I too play mmos to get away from bullshit consumerism and greed culture. Its good fun to play in an environment where everyone is effectively coming from an even start and plays on their talents. For me the suspension of disbelief erodes rapidly when people are leveraging their real-world income to gain a game advantage. I mean why the fuck would I feel like doing that too? I'll just go out for a nice meal instead.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2011, 12:30 »

Exactly. Game designers should be spending a lot of time thinking about that and not just following the dictates of avarice and taking the chance to go for moneyz with the new shiny. There are places where this kind of thing fits, but in others it is destructive to the spirit of gaming.

Otherwise we're gonna need a Occupy Virtual Space real soon.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2011, 15:30 »

Exactly. Game designers should be spending a lot of time thinking about that and not just following the dictates of avarice and taking the chance to go for moneyz with the new shiny. There are places where this kind of thing fits, but in others it is destructive to the spirit of gaming.

Of course, given the average MMO gamers' capacity for irony, those Occupations will be in Subscription-based MMOs, paying the devs for their protest.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2011, 16:48 »

Wouldn't have this been exactly what the Jita/market hub protests were? "Even if it's profitable - fuck that shit. We're paying our subscriptions for you to invent good gameplay, not just cash in on the FOTM for making cash on the internets, and even if we can't stop it instantly we're damn well going to make it clear we're displeased" ?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 [2]