Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the higher levels of space stations are restricted to the elite, with capsuleers occupying the very top decks? (The Burning life p. 73)

Author Topic: So I'm randomly surfin' the net...  (Read 1099 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
So I'm randomly surfin' the net...
« on: 26 Nov 2011, 17:48 »

...and I run across this thing.

I'd like to ask anyone of you who live close by this person to find and punch the idiot.

I'm just... fuck you. As amazingly dumb I think you are, as stated, you are overthinking shit to much, WAY TO FUCKING MUCH, I can't help but feel... are you right? If so, in what way, to what extent?

Most definitly not in your regard to the overall plot, your synopsis looks to me like it was written by a sexist moron who makes patron's for women's right and equility between sexes look like utter idiots, but I can't shake this feeling some parts may be accurate.

And that fucking annoys me. So someone please, smack this fool about a little. This kind of stuff should not be made and posted in public without direct and brutal retaliation.

...fucker ruined alot of my feelings for a great game, and a worthy second to an amazing game.

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: So I'm randomly surfin' the net...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2011, 18:19 »

Welcome to the internet, where people you may not agree with have a voice on the stage. The way I look at this analysis similar to that of a numerologist; if you're looking for a pattern (in this case, sexism), you will find it. I certainly don't agree with their conclusions, but I'm not so certain the author is interested in counterpoints.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2011, 18:48 by Kaleigh Doyle »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2011, 18:45 »

I have difficulties to understand all the fuss here. What Kaleigh said...

I also have difficulties to understand what makes the author of this article feel that way. Everyone knows how sharp I am when it comes to shitty stories and the rule of testosterone drive plots in video games (hell, I am even one of the few people i know that spit on Mass Effect ludicrous cheesy stories ala hollywood with heroes overbuffed by testosterone, while still praising its universe though). Well I did not find the story of SC2 bad. I almost found it quite decent, and very entertaining, without the usual clichés. Of course then, you can always find some clumsy things here and there but overall I found it very well done, nothing overdone or overused, or at least not a lot. The only thing that I did not really like was all that stuff around the XelNaga that was definitly "too much", eventually diverts us from the main plot to go to the new big threat of doom coming out like a deus ex machina to kill them all.

But reading this article, I for one just think that the author must simply be a queen of blades fanboy (considering how he always speaks of her) that did not like at all to see his actual sexual object denatured and "re feminized". I do not have the feeling to read real points in his article but more grief after grief because he got somehow butthurt by the outcome of the scenario.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2011, 18:47 by Lyn Farel »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2011, 19:03 »

Takeaway: Anything column shaped is a representation of patriarchal oppression, and women are only liberated when they're murdering others.

Good times.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2011, 21:35 »

Like it's been said already, welcome to the internet. Personally I didn't find the article to be anywhere near the usual level of internet retardation as he actually did follow a thread of logic (flawed as it may be) and set down specific examples of his grievance and so on. Since I don't share his conviction, it had no impact on my own enjoyment of that game (which has one of the best singleplayer RTS experiences I've had, due in good part to the story) or the story. The entire article is just kind of funny to me.

The fact that it was also written by an aspiring comedian actually leads me to believe the whole thing was supposed to be satire of the overanalytical kind of politically correct doomsayers who finds patriarchal conspiracies in pretty much everything. In fact, the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that this isn't supposed to be srs bsnis.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2011, 21:53 »

I suppose the best satire is the most subtle. Which I sincerely hope is the case here, because otherwise this is bar-none the most painfully asinine thing I've read.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2011, 02:57 »

Wow, he got you rubes.  :D

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:04 »

No, seriously. He starts with some decent points about reducing a strong female character to something much weaker for the sake of a male leads' love interest in her (though this may be only because we've not seen her return to kicking ass in her human form yet)... and then he goes on to ramble about tower-shaped structures that do aoe equaling penises. This is either a very, very subtle troll or someone who just doesn't understand that things in a game aren't always a big collection of Freudian symbols.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2011, 18:07 »

[...] things in a game aren't always a big collection of Freudian symbols.

Coming from an EVE player, and one who plays Amarr at that, that last sentence can only be responded to with the image that opened the post.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2011, 18:33 »

There's an important distinction to be made about this oft-corrupted word:

Being a dick solely to express your dickisness: TROLLING

Acting like a moron to get people to call you a moron: NOT TROLLING

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever