Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Author Topic: First Saints Row, now this...  (Read 800 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: First Saints Row, now this...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2011, 19:24 »

I remain speculative, as the initial videos seems to depict the game as trying 'too hard' to be like a modern FPS. Note worthy are the unnecessarily gory melee finishing moves, the gun sighting, and the hyperrealistic graphics.

I may pick it up after I see some videos post-launch day of the actual game itself.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2011, 21:07 »

The 'gory melee finishing moves' are just that. Fun finishers if you WANT to do them. The gun sighting seems to be completely up to you, as I've yet to use it on any of the few weapons that actually have it. In fact, it seems to be more like an eyerolling "LOL! Look, we can do ironsights too. Pointless, aren't they?" thing than actually being useful. Your gun will work just fine without them.

As for hyper-realistic graphics, I have no idea what you're talking about. I just can't reconcile the words 'hyper-realistic' and 'exploding suicidebomber without a head, which still SCREAMS at me!'. From the gameplay I've had so far, it seems to be exactly what a Serious Sam game should be. Just balls out mayhem. I do like how the weapon you're using starts getting more and more bloodcaked the more giblet explosions you are close to. A nice little 'immersion' bit there.

Sam seems to be just as over the top macho as always, without devolving into Duke Nukem's 'durr hurr titty humor' juvenile standards. (Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Duke Nukem's juvenile macho approach, but it's refreshing to just have John Rambo, The Terminator, Duke Nukem and Every Badass Known To Man's collective lovechild on screen being just utterly insanely uber-macho in all things.

Small spoiler: During the first level, Sam's got nothing but his own two hands and a sledgehammer and in the distance a GIANT devil-like fellow stomps along the street and glances in your direction. Sam's immediate response being "Whatchoo lookin' at?!" made ME believe I could have beaten that guy in melee. I probably couldn't have, so I'm glad it just kept walking, but it just set the entire tone of the game.

Should I manage to tear myself away from Skyrim and Saints Row for long enough to get through most of this game, I'll give a quick review of it. For now, I'll just give my first impression:

Serious Sam just got Serious... again... srsly. Fuck MW3, fuck Halol, fuck Gears of War, fuck all of the posers and weaklings out there. This is FPS gaming as it fucking should be!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2011, 17:44 »

I played one of the earlier Serious Sam games quite a bit at LAN parties a while back.

For some reason turning friendly fire off & then dowsing each other with flamethrowers in dark areas to provide some light stands out as one of the dafter and funnier things we did.

Also the mode where you could turn off the gore & replace dead monsters with flowers and piles of fruit. Do they still have that?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2011, 19:53 »

I liked the original Serious Sam games, but the animation looks a bit stiff, and the FOV on the shotgun near the beginning of the trailer was o_O

Crucifire

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2011, 12:42 »

Looks trashy and over the top, I'll probably love it just as much as the first two. Seriously silly fun.