Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Violence in RP  (Read 4609 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Violence in RP
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:44 »

And though I'm not a great romancer,
I know I'm bound to answer
what you propoooooose
anything goes.

I judge violence in RP is the same as violence in any media. Is it well done? Does it create a specific mood? Does it serve the story?

It's one of those things I can only decide in context.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:50 »

I think subtlety can work better.

More interesting from my point of view to see implied violence or the results of those actions rather than having to see them broadcast to an uninterested or uncaring artists.

S. Might bathe in the blood of 1000 virgins with walls painted red, but you don't need to -see- these things rendered in detail ever.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:03 »

Anything goes, with caveats mostly relating to godmodding and non-consensual permadeath.

If somebody's playing a blood-soaked, frankly kind of boring psychopath who goes just crazy-wrong with it, I get to play the aftermath of a crazy-wrong encounter with a blood-soaked, kind of boring psychopath. THAT is fun, even if the encounter is not.

As a side note, I've never actually had any such RP encounters involving Aria.
Well, my characters are not into this kind of violence  :lol:
They aren't 'blooders' or other psycho for sure. What they might do - is smack you pretty hard. In worst case - shoot you.

Although several other characters made my character to bleed, I prefer more, well, clean forms of violence.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:11 »

Anything goes, with caveats mostly relating to godmodding and non-consensual permadeath.

If somebody's playing a blood-soaked, frankly kind of boring psychopath who goes just crazy-wrong with it, I get to play the aftermath of a crazy-wrong encounter with a blood-soaked, kind of boring psychopath. THAT is fun, even if the encounter is not.

As a side note, I've never actually had any such RP encounters involving Aria.
Well, my characters are not into this kind of violence  :lol:
They aren't 'blooders' or other psycho for sure. What they might do - is smack you pretty hard. In worst case - shoot you.

Although several other characters made my character to bleed, I prefer more, well, clean forms of violence.

Nor are mine. Hell, I'm not really into being subjected to them, either.

What I am "into," is realism. So, I take what comes.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:22 »

This.

My main complaint with violence in most of EVE RP is that most peoples "violence" that Ive seen is more "action" that you would see in a Hollywood action movie than actual violence.

True violence isnt exciting, its horrifying.  I kinda look for that in the RP Im interested in.  Glorified violence gets stale after awhile, at least for me.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:25 »

Ah, violence. Aldy has seen much of it since becoming a capsuleer. Verone blowing Izanami Jr.'s head off, torturing blooder Maximus with Math'ra, getting tortured himself, getting shot in the Basilica, becoming a cyber knight's bitch, whacking Verone in the head with a sheathed sword, getting into a fistfight with Eran Mintor, seeing Vince after Mitara went medieval on his ass, accidentally getting Vince shot in a separate incident, lighting himself on fire at Silas's party, personally killing Sangiunia with a table leg through the chest, and a few more incidents I forget about.

Do note, this was all through about five years of RP'ing. Instances of violence should be rare and meaningful, they should have OOC cooperation in the back end, and they should have appropriate impacts on characters. Violence is heavy stuff, so it should be handled maturely and carefully. There have been instances where people were... unhappy about certain circumstances. Always discuss what might or will happen in an OOC setting first.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:48 »

... getting shot in the Basilica, ...

Well his 'Basilica' still worked enough to become a daddy! So, no harm done.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:56 »

^^^

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:57 »

This.

My main complaint with violence in most of EVE RP is that most peoples "violence" that Ive seen is more "action" that you would see in a Hollywood action movie than actual violence.

True violence isnt exciting, its horrifying.  I kinda look for that in the RP Im interested in.  Glorified violence gets stale after awhile, at least for me.

Many times when people list movies where they thought the violence was 'realistic' and 'true,' I'd consider those movies 'grotesque.'

I tend to measure scenes by how emotionally meaningful I find them, and too much detail when it comes to how the human body can be broken tends to distract from my engagement. For me, it's a problem of too obvious a style overwhelming the substance.*

Of course, for horror films, that's fine. The chest-burster scene in Alien works because it builds up anxiety and then punts it right into visceral repulsion.   

I think subtlety can work better.

S. Might bathe in the blood of 1000 virgins with walls painted red, but you don't need to -see- these things rendered in detail ever.

The human imagination is a wonderful thing. If you imply something, people will come up with their own, personally horrific images.

* How much is 'too much' is subjective, of course.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 15:37 by Makkal »

Current Events

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jun 2013, 15:28 »

I judge violence in RP is the same as violence in any media. Is it well done? Does it create a specific mood? Does it serve the story?

It's one of those things I can only decide in context.

This is the stance I take on it. I also take this stance with regards to ERP and the like.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2013, 15:44 »

I tend to measure scenes by how emotionally meaningful I find them, and too much detail when it comes to how the human body can be broken tends to distract from my engagement. For me, it's a problem of too obvious a style overwhelming the substance....

The human imagination is a wonderful thing. If you imply something, people will come up with their own, personally horrific images.

To the latter: muchly agreed-- though that's a bit harder to pull off where there's a player character being violenced (the player's not going to want to have to guess).

To the former: for me, the way violence is portrayed has a lot to do with the emotional impact. "Hollywood" violence is, for me, fluff-- it's canned excitement, a wad of powdered sugar. Pierce Brosnan's James Bond waves his stolen magical assault rifle of instant, painless death, and bad people fall over. Those are empty calories made all the more damaging by the implicit suggestion that violence is an excellent way of disposing of villains, an easy, clean solution to be frequently carried out without significance or cost.

For action heroes, I'll take Daniel Craig's version-- a brutal killer who may occasionally stumble into heroism, but whom few people would want to be. Perhaps I'm merely jaded (and I certainly will admit to being jaded), but my feeling is that the violence without visceral significance lacks, well, significance.

This is at least partly a matter of taste: as I've grown older, I've lost a lot of my fondness for action for its own sake, partly because I've grown tired of stories that encourage us to take violence lightly.

Please, make me wince and rethink whether I actually want this to happen, or whether I wish there was some other way.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jun 2013, 16:00 »

I tend to see both of those Bonds (and the entire franchise) as glorifying violence.

Daniel Craig is less polished and more gritty, but that's true of the latest Batman and the latest Captain Kirk as well. That's simply the popular way to reboot male hero franchisees.

Even the latest Superman seems to fit that mold.

Current Events

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jun 2013, 16:13 »

I tend to see both of those Bonds (and the entire franchise) as glorifying violence.

Daniel Craig is less polished and more gritty, but that's true of the latest Batman and the latest Captain Kirk as well. That's simply the popular way to reboot male hero franchisees.

Even the latest Superman seems to fit that mold.

The entire franchise does generally glorify violence-- some more than others. I still have an action movie itch to scratch, however-- I'm not quite to the point of wanting all violent movies to be "Saving Private Ryan," "Full Metal Jacket," and "Apocalypse Now."

I just like more grit and moral disquiet rather than less.

(I have "The Last of Us" on preorder, and am REALLY looking forward to it.)
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 16:17 by Aria Jenneth »

Vikarion

« Reply #28 on: 07 Jun 2013, 17:50 »

In general, I abhor "RP-violence", and prefer spaceship boat violence-ing. But then, I prefer to avoid romance in my RP, too. Both of these preferences stem from my belief that it is incredibly hard to plan and execute truly good violent or romantic scenes between two players. If they do happen, I prefer such things to happen organically, and in as low-key a way as is possible.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jun 2013, 19:14 »

Many times when people list movies where they thought the violence was 'realistic' and 'true,' I'd consider those movies 'grotesque.'

This rather highlights the problem.  Im not against unrealistic portrayals of violence in movies. 

Im against people looking to movies at all for a realistic portrayal of violence, at least when it comes to the kind of RP I find myself enjoying in EVE.  A "realistic movie" is still, by its very nature, very unrealistic.

« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 19:17 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4