Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Violence in RP  (Read 4612 times)

Anslol

Violence in RP
« on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:16 »

Like a lot of things that have more lasting effects in RP, a fight or some such should be agreed on before hand with multiple possible routes that the fight can lead (as had been mentioned in the 'What is Fair RP?' thread). So it'd stand to reason that the level of violence and/or description of the violenceing would be previously agreed upon.

However, what's your threshold of violence? What's crossing the line or just ...wrong to you? ICly it can be assumed some characters don't have a problem with it. But OOCly, we might still cringe or shy away from a rather descriptive explanation of Hand A moving against Spine B. This could affect IC attitudes to some extent as we simply don't wanna deal with it (and, imo, it's perfectly acceptable for this IC/OOC interaction to happen).

Anslo has been and is a very violent person (lol autopsy report). He hides it well after learning to control his temper and hasn't found himself in a situation where he has to execute ...an emergency spinal surgery. However, I the player have shied away from that because I don't want people OOCly to feel disturbed or some such. I personally can handle it, but still...

So, what's your take?

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Violence in RP
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:26 »

I will puree your uterine walls with my I think a little violence in a dystopian turbo-future is to be expected.

I also think that sometimes folks will bring it to the level of near-parody, and then wonder why some don't take it seriously...
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 11:29 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:33 »

What Graelyn said. ;)

Anslol

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:35 »

Erm...I don't think the level of violencing was accurately explained. I meant more on a level of Pyramid Head in the Silent Hill Movie grabbing that one girl and well...ya know...killed her in his own 'unique' way. Just much...much more slowly.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:42 »

The question with any description is this: does the added detail serve to increase impact and enrich the play experience, or is it gratuitous?

It's easy as a roleplayer to feel that Moar Is Bettar, when describing all that occurs -- but that's not always true. If anything, veteran RPers who have the chops to be exceedingly descriptive should aim for brevity, distilling their work.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:42 »

There's a fine line between fighting and gore. Gratuitous gibbing and spine ripping he-man nonsense tends to make me eyeroll. Most RP fights tend to make me eyeroll too, though, even the ones I've attempted to take part in. I just don't go for it very much, I guess.

As for the level of violence? For most fist fights, blood usually isn't something that shows up until much later, at least in my high school experience. People simply tend to not hit all that hard. Broken noses and busted lips are an exception. Maybe it's different when adults are fighting, but I haven't seen a fight since I was 16.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:02 »

I want to explain my position a bit more fully.

Fully granting the fact that we're all near-Gods (tending towards a Cthulhuish bent) with hands stained permanently red... There's something innately Mary Sueish about some of the way some folks portray violence. It's probably just that my own personal eyeroll buttons are being pressed, but I can't stand either "Look at how eeeeeeeevil I am, I am awash in bloooooood!" and the "I am a God made flesh striding among the human worms" - both of which are seen with regrettable regularity.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:06 »

It's hard to say. Well-done violence can be quite engaging independent of the actual giblet and gallon count. I tend to get turned off when I suspect someone's actually masturbating to it, though.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:14 »

People can do or try whatever they want ICly in my book, as long as they are ready to deal with the ensuing IC consequences. Even if it can make me roll my eyes at times. I will OOCly then maybe avoid RPing with the player in question if it is just not my taste at all.

As long as it remains into the guidelines of the "what is fair RP ?" thread, which is: never telling what happens to my character and letting me deal with that part.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:17 »

Re: Oniseki's comments; agreed. Most weapon-y violence should probably consist of: "Stabstabstabbleedintensivecareordeath," or "shootshootshootprobablydead." Fisticuffs can be more protracted but, well, however awesome and godlike Capsuleers are, this isn't an action movie. Why would my capsuleer invest training time in Kung Fu, when she still needs to master her battleship?

Akahoshi; y'know, I wonder if the average capsuleer's view of war shouldn't be more like those of a fighter pilot, artillerist, or tank commander: push buttons, blow up distant enemies. It's antiseptic and doesn't involve bodies -- or, at least, doesn't involve them if you don't look closely, which would be the natural, human defense mechanism when faced with a massive bodycount in an abstract way. So -- it's almost the pilot's choice to become depressed in it, or to wallow in it, a sign of a deranged mind.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 12:19 by Makoto Priano »

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:22 »

A little violence, for me, is okay when detailing a fight.  If someone gets cut, a brief description of the wounding works.  I don't think the attacker or the attacked need to do more than that.  I'm also okay with upping the violence if it adds and enhances the overall scene.

Ultra-violence or lengthy descriptions of the violence doesn't do anything for me.  I know I have a tendency to describe how an attack is executed in great detail, but the result of the attack is very short.

At the end of it, I think a touch of violence is sufficient.

And I give you the following from "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

[attachment deleted by admin]
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:48 »

For me: anything goes.

I will respect other character owners desires (as to not get engaged in violence), but against my characters - anything goes.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:57 »

People can do or try whatever they want ICly in my book, as long as they are ready to deal with the ensuing IC consequences. Even if it can make me roll my eyes at times. I will OOCly then maybe avoid RPing with the player in question if it is just not my taste at all.

As long as it remains into the guidelines of the "what is fair RP ?" thread, which is: never telling what happens to my character and letting me deal with that part.

This.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:10 »

Anything goes.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:37 »

Anything goes, with caveats mostly relating to godmodding and non-consensual permadeath.

If somebody's playing a blood-soaked, frankly kind of boring psychopath who goes just crazy-wrong with it, I get to play the aftermath of a crazy-wrong encounter with a blood-soaked, kind of boring psychopath. THAT is fun, even if the encounter is not.

As a side note, I've never actually had any such RP encounters involving Aria.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 13:40 by Aria Jenneth »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4