Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Character Creation Race-Locks  (Read 12015 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Character Creation Race-Locks
« Reply #75 on: 12 Jul 2011, 08:03 »

Location-locking for clothes doesn't work for me, either. If I can buy any faction's ships and cuisine at Jita 4-4, it would be odd to me if I couldn't buy their clothes there as well.

Thing is, those are capsuleer made goods on the capsuleer market. I think it would make a lot of sense for certain items of clothing to have very limited NPC sell orders in the far reaches of space - which can then be purchased, hauled to jita, and sold at a markup to people that don't want to do the legwork. This adds more to the gameplay, IMO.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #76 on: 12 Jul 2011, 11:28 »

when i suggested clothes being available from locations, I was envisioning things like:

The Coriault Couture Collective would sell particular types of outfits in Coriault constellation.
The Mannar Textile Institute would sell different outfits in Mannar space.

To get a Coriault designed dress, you could go there yourself, or perhaps an enterprising trader has brought some to the local trading hub.

That sort of thing. More things to trade, etc.

Like how things like the various t1 ship and module bpos only come from certain places.
\o/

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jul 2011, 14:45 »

Location-locking for clothes doesn't work for me, either. If I can buy any faction's ships and cuisine at Jita 4-4, it would be odd to me if I couldn't buy their clothes there as well.

Thing is, those are capsuleer made goods on the capsuleer market. I think it would make a lot of sense for certain items of clothing to have very limited NPC sell orders in the far reaches of space - which can then be purchased, hauled to jita, and sold at a markup to people that don't want to do the legwork. This adds more to the gameplay, IMO.

Yeah, I was writing more from the viewpoint that "I don't find the mix necessarily immersion-breaking; in fact I find not being able to present cultural crossovers that we know happen to be more of an immersion nuisance than having people pick any random selection of clothing that appeals". If the food gets around, along with the Gallente cooks, I don't see why the clothing wouldn't. Maybe it's the early days of spacer fashion, though.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #78 on: 12 Jul 2011, 16:29 »

I hate to be the spanner of logic for once but... the argument that removing the locks is immersion breaking is DOA...

Why is this?

Because CCP have already stated their making "Cyber Punk" for the nex store, so what we end up having is Amarrians that cant wear gallente cloting but can bowl around looking like Combechrist.

im sorry to say that but no matter what happens there will be an elephant sized immersion breaker in the room.

Not to mention that it is the very nature of capsuleers to do things for no other reason than "because it's cool."

I feel like there is a misconception among many of us that the people who consider themselves roleplayers (us) are a good definition of average capsuleers. I disagree with that misconception, and think that it is we who are the outliers - it's the rest of the playerbase that are the "norm". The ones who don't have motivations to do or want something besides "because it's cool."

With that in mind, I'd argue that Bubba the Brutor wearing an Amarrian priest's robe, or Nicole the Ni-Kunni wearing a Gallentean pleasure hub dancer's outfit, simply because they think it's cool, actually enforces immersion, because the average capsuleer isn't going to have any motivations beyond looking like something they consider to be cool.

Besides, what's to stop us from looking at the foolish-looking plebeian masses with disdain, turning up our noses and being snooty while we /sip at them? It's not like some people don't do that already IC. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #79 on: 12 Jul 2011, 17:27 »

Cyberpunk or not, I think there's a reason the NeX store is generic...so that all capsuleers regardless of faction can wear it without immersion-breakages. I'm guessing that even the cyberpunk stuff will follow the current selection of being faction-neutral and generic.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jul 2011, 17:35 »

Cyberpunk or not, I think there's a reason the NeX store is generic...so that all capsuleers regardless of faction can wear it without immersion-breakages. I'm guessing that even the cyberpunk stuff will follow the current selection of being faction-neutral and generic.

shirts with clear Ishukone labels and a caldari style is generic?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jul 2011, 18:39 »

shirts with clear Ishukone labels and a caldari style is generic?

It's still in the description, explicitly faction catch-all..."modeled off the Class B" etc. etc.

Cheiftan

• Clonejack
« Reply #82 on: 15 Jul 2011, 15:40 »

Im sorry serph but that dosnt cut it, if they added a description to the basic cloths such as the dreads that says.

"styled after the brutor tradional warrior hair style"

We would still be haveing this debate, the fact of the matter is, its immersion breaking that me being brutor cannot wear the caldari uniform when in I-RED.

Think about this from a real life perspective, looking at fashion trends, people from all walks of life wear cloths or moderfy their bodys in ways that are from other cultures, ive seen white people with Mouri tattoos and ear streching is all the rage now days.

Should we make that illegal as its not a style everyone from that society adheres to?

What im trying to say is, the real immersion breaker is not having the choice to do so.

Varlerian

• Your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur
  • Clonejack
« Reply #83 on: 15 Jul 2011, 21:00 »

I love your forum avatar pic by the way, chief ;-)

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #84 on: 16 Jul 2011, 15:46 »

when i suggested clothes being available from locations, I was envisioning things like:

The Coriault Couture Collective would sell particular types of outfits in Coriault constellation.
The Mannar Textile Institute would sell different outfits in Mannar space.

To get a Coriault designed dress, you could go there yourself, or perhaps an enterprising trader has brought some to the local trading hub.

That sort of thing. More things to trade, etc.

Like how things like the various t1 ship and module bpos only come from certain places.

I'm entirely for this.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #85 on: 25 Jul 2011, 18:19 »

Having things sold in one constellation only would persist for about a week, after which everything would be available in every market hub in the game. There's almost no point whatsoever.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #86 on: 25 Jul 2011, 18:42 »

Having things sold in one constellation only would persist for about a week, after which everything would be available in every market hub in the game.

Only if they're successful... blueprints (designs) arrive on the scene, and some of them become popular, and spread, and some don't.

As long as there's information about what's new, and where to get it from, that could be almost interesting...

Oh. I think I just advocated the idea of a fashion magazine in Eve...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #87 on: 25 Jul 2011, 20:54 »

Oh. I think I just advocated the idea of a fashion magazine in Eve...

I have another suggestion, although I suspect it would be too hard on CCP's art department: the EVE version of Threadless for far more than just T-shirts. Get players (or characters) to design clothes they'd like to see, let us all vote and comment, and then CCP decides (somewhat guided by the vote, but with full creative control) which ones will be produced.

Also, limited runs of certain items. "The blue version of that jacket was made only in October 113", etc.

(Did I just say that? I'm still :S that it seems I won't be able to have my aunts send me care packages of clothing. Yeah, sure, if some people want to buy clothes worth a carrier, go for it, but if I want my favourite dancing tights from home or even high fashion from the Crystal Boulevard it should be cheap compared to a warship with thousands of crew. I get it from the gameplay perspective of giving players-who-don't-want-carriers things to save up for, but it does not make sense in my EVE.)
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 20:56 by Matariki Rain »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #88 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:25 »

Is it bad that I've lost faith in most of Incarna? I realize as I read this thread that all these great ideas would be largely ignored by CCP. I honestly.. don't believe I'll see any reasonably priced clothing, let alone clothing that can be gained by means other than NeX.

It's just so depressing.

btw Andreus, I poked CCP about your thread in twitter. Maybe they will reply.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #89 on: 27 Jul 2011, 02:12 »

I decided to make Katrina as Amarrian as she could be. This is the result I got, and it's surprisingly effective. The way I figure it.. it should either be completely locked like it was before, or it should be completely unlocked so all styles are available to all bloodlines. The current setup makes no sense.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7