Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Character Creation Race-Locks  (Read 12016 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Character Creation Race-Locks
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jul 2011, 05:12 »

That's a terrible justification for having restrictions. I can't believe you four are seriously trying to float this as legitimate.

If I'm seeing hordes of True Amarrians walking around EFA in pink Gallentean skirts, then yes, my sense of immersion would be broken.

Going by how many people name their ships and characters, such things will for me produce an atmosphere of: 'hey people, this is a silly game'. You only need a couple of ill-fitting standouts to ruin your immersive feeling. Two ice-cream carts smack in the middle of the barren desert will usually do it for me.

Tizian Enel

• Clonejack
« Reply #61 on: 10 Jul 2011, 05:36 »

For Aurum ? T_T

No way, either its everything locked (what I despise but definitely less than these microtransactions), either we can do as Louella says, get new racial clothes somewhere else racial related. With isk or for free.

I have a feeling it'll be an easier sell to CCP if Aurum is mentioned. Don't forget that isk --> plex --> aurum. Just a bit more complexity to the process for us and perhaps less granularity (can only get 3500 aurum at a time), but if that's the price to convince CCP I can live with that.

If I'm seeing hordes of True Amarrians walking around EFA in pink Gallentean skirts, then yes, my sense of immersion would be broken.

This situation now has two outcomes:
Immersion breaking if racial locks are in place (wtf, I can't get a haircut in new eden?)
Immersion breaking if they aren't (wtf, amarr prime is full of true amarr dressed like a gallente-caldari-minmatar hippy?)

Considering I'm not a full immersionist in eve and the folks I spend most time roleplaying with are other actual roleplayers, I suspect I wouldn't be bothered too often by the "eve is a funny game" crowd attempting to create penismonsters from the now-unlocked option I prefer the racial lock removal.

Some other thread had discussion about Incarna+roleplay. The clothing silliness would mostly come into play when you're actually physically present but chat channel/virtual presence RP isn't going away any time soon, for convenience reasons. And if I'd like to nitpick about things, I could mention how many roleplayers enter a RP-channel by explaining what their clothing is, even if it conflicts with what little can be seen from their portrait (immersion breaking!)  ;)

If you plan to ever roleplay within stations, that sort of thing becomes a lot harder to handwave away.

Racelocks - A choice between allowing (not guaranteeing) good RP and avoiding non-rp trolls.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2011, 05:52 by Tizian Enel »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jul 2011, 07:45 »

That's a terrible justification for having restrictions. I can't believe you four are seriously trying to float this as legitimate.

Going by how many people name their ships and characters, such things will for me produce an atmosphere of: 'hey people, this is a silly game'. You only need a couple of ill-fitting standouts to ruin your immersive feeling. Two ice-cream carts smack in the middle of the barren desert will usually do it for me.

Considering that you already have the option to make a complete clown face on your character with the current makeup and accessories, this argument is very weak in my opinion.

Besides, I am fairly certain most people understand the concept of sending the "right" message through clothing and will not dress in Gallentean symbols while claiming to be conservative Amarrians.

Though, I have noticed once a twice a guy I television screaming about "Death to America" while wearing a cap spelling 'Nike' on his forehead.   
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2011, 07:52 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #63 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:28 »

For Aurum ? T_T

No way, either its everything locked (what I despise but definitely less than these microtransactions), either we can do as Louella says, get new racial clothes somewhere else racial related. With isk or for free.

I have a feeling it'll be an easier sell to CCP if Aurum is mentioned. Don't forget that isk --> plex --> aurum. Just a bit more complexity to the process for us and perhaps less granularity (can only get 3500 aurum at a time), but if that's the price to convince CCP I can live with that.

I can't.

This situation now has two outcomes:
Immersion breaking if racial locks are in place (wtf, I can't get a haircut in new eden?)
Immersion breaking if they aren't (wtf, amarr prime is full of true amarr dressed like a gallente-caldari-minmatar hippy?)

Considering I'm not a full immersionist in eve and the folks I spend most time roleplaying with are other actual roleplayers, I suspect I wouldn't be bothered too often by the "eve is a funny game" crowd attempting to create penismonsters from the now-unlocked option I prefer the racial lock removal.

Some other thread had discussion about Incarna+roleplay. The clothing silliness would mostly come into play when you're actually physically present but chat channel/virtual presence RP isn't going away any time soon, for convenience reasons. And if I'd like to nitpick about things, I could mention how many roleplayers enter a RP-channel by explaining what their clothing is, even if it conflicts with what little can be seen from their portrait (immersion breaking!)  ;)

If you plan to ever roleplay within stations, that sort of thing becomes a lot harder to handwave away.

Racelocks - A choice between allowing (not guaranteeing) good RP and avoiding non-rp trolls.

This mostly for me. Immersion is broken in either case, be it text only channels, or incarna full setting with racial locks, or incarna full setting without racial locks.

Anyway their systems is totally rigid atm, if you want to simply change your clothes you have to redo all your portrait crap. @_@

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jul 2011, 15:00 »

Im for the racial locks, tbh.  Pretty much for the reasons mentioned. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Varrent

• Clonejack
  • Independant Angel Loyalist
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jul 2011, 16:10 »

I'm kind of in the middle here. On one hand I do very much agree with the racial locks, but only so far as initial character creation. Once you are in the EVE universe and can get your way around space, you should be able to buy other clothes. And I do support the Aurum method of selling them as long as the racial clothing going for sale is much, much cheaper.

For Example:
1 PLEX = 3,500 AUR = 350,000,000.00 ISK
GDN-9 "Nightstalker" Combat Goggles = 1,500 AUR = 150,000,000.00 ISK

That is the current price exchange rates that seem to be going on. Now imagine that the racial clothing is introduced at a much lower price range.

Examples:
True Amarrian Ceremonial Robes = 100 AUR = 10,000,000.00 ISK
Gallentean Visor = 200 AUR = 20,000,000.00 ISK
Dark Red Stilletos = 50 AUR = 5,000,000.00 ISK

If the rates for currently racially locked clothing looked like that as opposed to the obscence prices for the fancy new Monocles and the 'Field Marshal' Jacket I don't think the compromise of selling it for Aurum would be all that painfull.

Tizian Enel

• Clonejack
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jul 2011, 17:23 »

If the rates for currently racially locked clothing looked like that as opposed to the obscence prices for the fancy new Monocles and the 'Field Marshal' Jacket I don't think the compromise of selling it for Aurum would be all that painfull.

In the devblog NeX retail pricing strategy the mention that there will be three price categories, where the lowest one would allow for a full costume at about 1 PLEX in cost total.

From bottom to top order, you can currently wear items in the following slots: Footwear, Bottoms, Tops, Outer, and Eyewear slots. You can only wear one item in each slot.
<snip>
The items in the Noble Exchange come in several price ranges. Normally, an outfit will all come from one pricing tier. An affordable tier outfit can be purchased and assembled for roughly the value of one PLEX in total - slightly cheaper if you are fortunate enough to time your purchase well.

Mid-tier outfits will be priced such that an outfit will total approximately 3-4 PLEX, depending on individual elements.

Deluxe tier outfits <snip> [capsuleers] could find themselves spending two or three times the price of an affordable outfit on a single piece for their ensemble.

That would put cheapest clothing around the 70M isk pricerange. Bit high, but maybe that would keep the 'just for lulz' crew away? At least I could see serious roleplayers finding a way around this cost fairly easily, even if it took asking for donations OOC.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jul 2011, 04:34 »

And I do support the Aurum method of selling them as long as the racial clothing going for sale is much, much cheaper.

For Example:

That is the current price exchange rates that seem to be going on. Now imagine that the racial clothing is introduced at a much lower price range.

Examples:

And we naturally lose them at every podkill too ? :/

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #68 on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:04 »

And I do support the Aurum method of selling them as long as the racial clothing going for sale is much, much cheaper.

For Example:

Examples:

And we naturally lose them at every podkill too ? :/

As long as reprocessing the corpses would have a chance to drop an implant / item of clothing I'd be all for it

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #69 on: 11 Jul 2011, 08:40 »

No, that was changed: your clothes and such survive pod killing.

Tizian Enel

• Clonejack
« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:57 »

No, that was changed: your clothes and such survive pod killing.

You don't wear them in the pod, right? But once they make killing people stationside possible (as in Future Vision).. looting clothes!woot! :D

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #71 on: 11 Jul 2011, 14:55 »

suicide ganking people for their monocles. I'm down with that.

Cheiftan

• Clonejack
« Reply #72 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:55 »

I hate to be the spanner of logic for once but... the argument that removing the locks is immersion breaking is DOA...

Why is this?

Because CCP have already stated their making "Cyber Punk" for the nex store, so what we end up having is Amarrians that cant wear gallente cloting but can bowl around looking like Combechrist.

im sorry to say that but no matter what happens there will be an elephant sized immersion breaker in the room.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #73 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:52 »

I dont get why an Amarrian not wearing robes/'tame' clothes would be an immersion breaker to be honest.

This is the future, I doubt people are told on birth "Hi, youre Amarr, this is your robe. Dont ever dare wearing anything else in your entire fucking life. Have a nice day."

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #74 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:16 »

My personal view:

While I'd like there to be trends and aesthetics which had their roots in different cultures, I'd also like to see people able to play characters which cross cultural lines. There are documented migrations from before the capsuleer era -- a third of the Minmatar live in Amarr space and another fifth in the Federation, for instance -- and I'd like it to be possible for a character from one of those backgrounds to have the trappings to match. Pilots change affiliations, and I'd like to see them able to show that through choice of clothing and gear as well. Space is a melting pot, developing its own flavour-of-the-month fashions in ships, fleets and, presumably, fashions: I'd like to see that, too. And, y'know, after killing several thousand people before breakfast I might just feel like doing something daring, like wearing an Intaki-styled robe or Caldari boots.

Location-locking for clothes doesn't work for me, either. If I can buy any faction's ships and cuisine at Jita 4-4, it would be odd to me if I couldn't buy their clothes there as well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7