Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Character Creation Race-Locks  (Read 11995 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: Character Creation Race-Locks
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:07 »

Well, there is maybe one solution.

Create racial sections in the NeX (dont crucify me) and offer racial clothing/tattoos/other for a price. But a much reduced price. None of this $70 hello kitty earings BS, thankyouverymuch.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:24 »

If I had to guess, I'd think that bloodline / race / gender changes might eventually show up as MTs.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:24 »

Thanks, Seriphyn, for your outstanding show of support for the roleplay community.

Jesus. :bash:

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:32 »

Matari tattoos for non-Matari characters? No thanks.

Hairstyles? I don't care. Clothes? I don't care. Cultural artifacts like the Matari tattoos rusty play a major part of characterization, clan and tribe affiliation and history? Hell no. I wouldn't mind seeing other races get their own things my Matari can't get, but stay off my tattoos. It's horribad enough with all the interchangeability between the races and bloodlines as it is.

What if it opened additional Incarna options - like decking the Gallente upstart who does not know what those Tattoos mean?  ( Chron: Tattoos)

This would be pretty hilarious. Even though I think we were told we weren't going to have combat in Incarna/WiS? Did that change?

I was thinking more as an emote. Two party emote that by using tattoos or another unique racial appearance becomes a way to interact.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:36 »

Andy, for starters, you've made the mistake of assuming that the items of clothing are NOT tied to a faction. They are. The colourful t-shirts and leather jackets are Gallentean. The closed, embroided jackets are Amarrian. The bulky cargo jackets are Caldari, and the vest jackets are Minmatar.

Try randomly creating a character of the four different factions to get what I'm talking about.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:48 »

Andy, for starters, you've made the mistake of assuming that the items of clothing are NOT tied to a faction. They are.

But they aren't. :bash:

The colourful t-shirts and leather jackets are Gallentean.

Other races get them too! :bash:

The closed, embroided jackets are Amarrian.

The bulky cargo jackets are Caldari

and the vest jackets are Minmatar.

My god.

Tara A

• Clonejack
    • The Star Fraction
« Reply #36 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:51 »

Interesting topic since this is something I have actually thought about for many many years.

I am not really that keen on discussing my roleplay, since I am firmly in the "find out IC" -camp. However, clothing is something that would be obvious IC, isn't it? So I quess it's not much of a problem.

I always thought Tara actually wore amarrian robes among other things, men's kind too, with the hood over her eyes and the works. Also the tattoo on her cheek, well, that's the best the char generator let's me do at the moment. Being a caldari is a complete non-issue for her, surely it would not limit her choice of clothing, tattoos, make-up, jewelry etc.

So in my opinion, players really should be able to choose. There are reasons other than loyalty or even vanity to wear things. What breaks immersion to me is not being able to smear an amarrian robe or minmatar tattoo by wearing it in spite because I can. Only of course, I can't. :)

I do see the point from people disagreeing, though, and they are right, too. It is a matter of choice, as things often are, with no clear right answer in my opinion.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 09 Jul 2011, 13:52 »

In that case, Andreus, why is it, then, that a Minmatar can pick from two of those bulky cargo jackets, and the Caldari can pick from a whole set?

This t-shirt is Gallentean. Take a look at this as well.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:10 »

In that case, Andreus, why is it, then, that a Minmatar can pick from two of those bulky cargo jackets, and the Caldari can pick from a whole set

Because of the arbitrary racelocks, which we're trying to get removed.

Do I really have to explain this? It's in the goddamn OP.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:15 »

I understand the point you're trying to make, Andreus. Right now, I'm just trying to point out the mistake you made in assuming that the clothing items are not tied to a faction. Some aren't, in particular, the vest tops (m/f) and the bland off-white/dull-bllue/black t-shirts. The fact they are tied to a faction is a minor point, but is fundamental to CCP's idea of 'racial identity'.

I think that might be way the NeX has generic items, for the most part.

Tara A

• Clonejack
    • The Star Fraction
« Reply #40 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:16 »

Actually, Louella's response was great, I think.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:20 »

I understand the point you're trying to make, Andreus. Right now, I'm just trying to point out the mistake you made in assuming that the clothing items are not tied to a faction.

This is a terrible idea. The only item of clothing that is not too generic to be tied to a faction is the Amarrian robes, and there have already been about a thousand reasons stated in this thread and the one on EVE-O as to why they shouldn't be racelocked either.

The only reason I can see for you taking CCP's side is to be intentionally controvertial with an idea almost everyone else in this thread supports.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:22 »

Only item of clothing? Andreus, did you miss my link to the Gallentean t-shirt, as well as the link to the faction default dolls?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #43 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:27 »

I don't understand why Andreus is getting so angry.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #44 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:31 »

It's Andreus. That's what he does.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7