Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Andreus Ixiris and Mixed Metaphor  (Read 9012 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Andreus Ixiris and Mixed Metaphor
« Reply #45 on: 20 Apr 2011, 11:09 »

I prefer this question to be put IC.

What is your reason for asking for our IC perceptions?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #46 on: 20 Apr 2011, 12:23 »

IC understanding is/was rather vague. Probably didn't even notice they'd left the militia/stopped supporting the regime.

Anyway, on the side discussion, what is your interpretation regarding people's origin stories, e.g. if someone started in Imperial Academy, but claimed to have been trained in e.g. Blood Raider space ?
\o/

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 20 Apr 2011, 13:08 »

Anyway, on the side discussion, what is your interpretation regarding people's origin stories, e.g. if someone started in Imperial Academy, but claimed to have been trained in e.g. Blood Raider space ?

I actually see that as an artifact of the limitations of character creation, and in some cases at least somewhat legitimate. CCP do not currently (and I can only imagine will never) allow characters of one empire to receive training in the school of another empire, despite the fact that there are many good reasons this could occur.

It is by no means inconceivable (especially given that all of them have or had insiders in the empires and CONCORD) that the major pirate organisations could cobble together something resembling a capsuleer training program, but the throughput of such a venture would be vanishingly small even in comparison to those of the empires, simply on the weight of the fact that the populations of the major pirate organisations are so small. Fluff says that less than a percent of the population is fully compatible with the technology, and I find it likely the empires are better at discovering them. This means that the output of any unofficial capsuleer training venture is going to be very, very small indeed. Given that the official programs have, in eight years, produced less than a million successes out of supposedly trillions of humans (I think the trillions number is massively overstated, but there you go) - I'd put the sum total successes of any and all unofficial capsuleer training programs in the dozens at most.

I would also suggest that almost nothing would piss off CONCORD more than the idea of the pirate organisations churning out unregistered capsuleers, and that if they got the slightest inkling that something like this was happening, they'd turn over every asteroid looking for it and stamp everything they found on the way that had even the slightest hint of illegitimacy into the ground. Capsuleers, by their very nature, tend to attract a lot of attention to themselves very quickly. Such programs simply would not remain hidden for long, and by this measure would not exist for very long.

Consider that Sansha has got one over on the empires by seemingly being able to produce a large number of capsuleers with very high competence in a very short timeframe. The general impression the PF is giging would suggest that either CONCORD has never had to deal with something like this at all (which I find unlikely), or they have expectations and methods to deal with things like this, but nothing on this scale (which I find very likely).

I'd also question why a capsuleer claiming training from the Blood Raiders or whoever is registered with CONCORD at all, and why it claims they were trained at the Imperial Academy. If they had some pretty good answers that didn't clash with established PF, I'd accept them.

Now if they said something like "Well actually, it was only most of my training that occured with the Blood Raiders out in Delve, but they were able to sneak me into the Imperial Academy to get me access to a capsuleer program" that'd be fucking ace. I could totally roll with that.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #48 on: 20 Apr 2011, 13:35 »

I'd also question why a capsuleer claiming training from the Blood Raiders or whoever is registered with CONCORD at all, and why it claims they were trained at the Imperial Academy. If they had some pretty good answers that didn't clash with established PF, I'd accept them.

Now if they said something like "Well actually, it was only most of my training that occured with the Blood Raiders out in Delve, but they were able to sneak me into the Imperial Academy to get me access to a capsuleer program" that'd be fucking ace. I could totally roll with that.

Super.

I know at least one person who says that. They're native to Delve, did a lot of training there, then obtained a false identity to finalise things.

Others claim it's a false record or something like that.

However, some people rage and say "it says 'imperial academy' so you must be an Imperial citizen, stop lying about being from Delve" and so on. It is rather o.0

It's also something that's come up with people from the Ammatar. As minmatar characters, they all appear in one of the Republic schools. But that's not necessarily what their character background is about.
Same for the various ethnic members of the Federation. Gallente-born & resident minmatar with a Republic university education instead of a university of Caille one. And so on.

Some people seem to want to argue that because of the game mechanics being as they are, then everyone has to be what the char sheet says they are. This would then mean there are no ethnic minority Federation pilots, no Ammatar, etc. etc.

Ofc, there's that glitch with some really old chars which have no/truncated employment history.

vOv.
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2011, 14:28 »

On the direct subject title, I wasn't wholly impressed with the debate about the existence of God in The Summit channel this evening. It was basically a generic OOC/OOG debate about God, using RL philosophy etc...

I dunno if that's just a general EVE PF problem of having familiar concepts of God (and democracy) in the universe, though.

[20:29:33] Andreus Ixiris > Maria Crases: Your [Stockholm] syndrome is tragic, but not an argument for slavery.

Not cool yo!  :P

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2011, 15:13 »

I have no idea what Stockholm syndrome is actually called in EVE - presumably different cultures would have different words for it (the Amarrian word, I imagine, for Stockholm syndrome is "success"). It was the best I could do to convey what I was attempting to convey.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2011, 15:26 »

Its called "Sasoutikh Syndrome"

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2011, 15:27 »

Really? :o

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2011, 15:31 »

Really? :o

That system takes hostage of a large majority of Amarrian mission runners. And they love it. makes sense.  :D

On a go forward basis that is what im going to use to describe stockholm in eve lol.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2011, 20:08 »

So, honest question here: in relation to the Federation, how do you people see me and Mixed Metaphor?

From what I've read of Ixiris on the IGS, it's pretty clear he is an individual who espouses a Gallentean culture, and supports democratic governments. He also appears to oppose culturally closed societies, and generally has a liberal perspective on social matters. I know nothing about Mixed Metaphor in relation to the Federation, other than they are the arm of Ixiris, which by extension support Fed-ideals. I haven't really seen him break that mantra.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:47 »

IC, you aren't on Silas' radar except for the occasional forum sniping in threads you have no business being in, and Silas can't be bothered to care about your relationship to the Federation.

OOC not sure about the excessive amount of Amarrian-hating going on but Andreus is of course your creation ;)  I think we see more of Andreus being -against- things than being -for- things, if that makes sense.  It's fairly obvious about x,y,z things that Andreus gets pissy about, but I don't have much of an idea what he stands -for-, although perhaps just my own ignorance on the subject.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #56 on: 26 Apr 2011, 19:47 »

I assure you, the Amarrian-hating does not extend into OOC (well, except in that I, personally, have a hatred of religious zealots, but I don't know a single Amarrian roleplayer who is actually a religious zealot in real life). In fact, I have often said that I consider Rodj Blake to be the best roleplayer in EVE Online because he plays someone so immensely different to what he's like in real life. In the game he's a dogmatic, close-minded, bigoted, arrogant, supercilious, insane, morally bankrupt zealot, but in real life he's a friendly, talkative, open-minded, wonderful chap who I absolutely love talking to and sharing drinks with.

Basically the same with Grr and most of CVA's membership - IC I depise them, OOC they're excellent fellows.

That's not to say I think people like Evanda Char, Verone, Vincent Pryce, etc. aren't also good roleplayers, but I've noticed that a lot of people play characters who resemble them in some way (for example, Evanda Char's player is, in real life, almost exactly like I'd imagine her in game), if perhaps not quite as closely as my own character does, but Rodj Blake and his player have always struck me by how entirely different they are.

The EVE meets are good because I generally tend to have a lot more respect for and understanding of characters when I've met the people who play them, because I can see how their characters are like them (or, alternatively, how they aren't like them).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #57 on: 27 Apr 2011, 04:19 »

What makes the Rodj Blake character interesting is not only these "flaws". If he just had these he would just be a classic evil character, that he is obviously not. He is a conservative and what I appreciate is more the patriot side he has above all that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]